• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Why the hell would you do that with a series which always sells gangbusters and outside of years in which R* releases a new game is always the best selling game by miles?
CoD sells on name alone, market it properly and it'll still sell a ton. Streamers could hype it up for them by saying how great and fresh it feels compared to the previous entries.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I like it. It serves a purpose. It makes it clear to everyone that it's a full reboot. It works.

But in this case this is just stupid, especially since Modern Warfare Remastered only came out recently. They should have called it Call of Duty.

I think it's dumb and it shows a lack of respect to the games that came before them

It also doesn't work, no one calls Doom (2016) "Doom", which is the name of the game, they call it Doom (2016)

Same as no one calls Tomb Raider (2013) "Tomb Raider", they call it Tomb Raider (2013) now. It's a dumb convention that causes confusion after the fact as to what game you're talking about, and it treats consumers as idiots

No one is going to see "CoD: Modern Warfare 4" after the huge marketing push they give it and think it's a last gen game from a decade ago, so there was no need to give the new game a shit name

It just shows that the people in charge are idiots

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
We've had plenty of hints, actually. Going to quote my post from the previous page

Next week, between the 28th and 30th according to a few GameStop leaks and influencers stating that they can talk about the game after this date

Not to mention the fact that a few CoD partners went to Infinity Ward HQ last week to play the game

fNiYoj1.jpg

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Could have just flipped a couple of words and went with Modern Duty: Call of Warfare

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's dumb and it shows a lack of respect to the games that came before them

It also doesn't work, no one calls Doom (2016) "Doom", which is the name of the game, they call it Doom (2016)

Same as no one calls Tomb Raider (2013) "Tomb Raider", they call it Tomb Raider (2013) now. It's a dumb convention that causes confusion after the fact as to what game you're talking about, and it treats consumers as idiots

No one is going to see "CoD: Modern Warfare 4" after the huge marketing push they give it and think it's a last gen game from a decade ago, so there was no need to give the new game a shit name

It just shows that the people in charge are idiots

This is the most insulated take I have ever seen.

I don't know anyone who calls the 2016 Doom game Doom 2016. They just call it Doom

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's true. Game is a reboot of the Modern Warfare series, not a follow-up to MW3.

Press and influencers played it this week. It sounds pretty freaking good from what I've heard. New engine and new takes on classic Call of Duty, more realistic. I'm hesitant to say more because they'll show it soon and I don't want to ruin anything, but Call of Duty fans should be excited about what's coming, specially those who feel the franchise has ran a little stagnant.
Campaign or multi-player only?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I've been told it's an engine made from scratch. I haven't seen it so take that for what it is. All should be confirmed soon.
I wanna believe you because Call of Duty desperately needs a brand new engine, but I can't see them doing it the year before the next-gen consoles release. Wouldn't it make a lot of sense to have CoD2019 run on the old engine to then go all out on the brand new engine with brand new hardware?
Campaign or multi-player only?
Campaign was already confirmed by Activision months ago.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Some of you are writing this off so fast just from a name lol. From what I've heard, it sounds quite good, some neat changes to the formula, things returning. Let's just wait and see.
Maybe something along the lines of, but not exactly like spec ops from MW2? That would be interesting if they took that idea and expanded on it.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Strange, they didn't get rid of the numbering system with Black Ops 4. Wonder why they'd want to get away from it for Modern Warfare.

Edit: Well, "Black Ops IIII"

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe something along the lines of, but not exactly like spec ops from MW2? That would be interesting if they took that idea and expanded on it.
A leak that's had some stuff correct in it already has said it will have Spec Ops. Which imo is much needed as activi has relied heavily on zombies when spec ops and extinction were fun as hell.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Person 1: Wanna play some Modern Warfare?
Person 2: The 2007 game?
Person 1: No, the new one.
Person 2: Oh the 2016 remaster?
Person 1: No, the newest one
Person 2: What?
Person 1: The 2nd Modern Warfare
Person 2: You mean Modern Warfare 2?
Person 1: FFS, lets just play Overwatch.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait until the beta when everyone talks about how smooth it feels like it is running on dedicated servers, and then it releases and it has surprisingly minimal microtransaction bullshit, but then a month after the reviews are in and everyone has bought it they install a giant shopping mall in the middle of the game and all of a sudden every match is a nightmare of lag. Right on schedule. Almost as if it is by design.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Not a word of a lie, given recent naming conventions for soft reboots this makes total sense to me.

Call Of Duty : The Modern Warfare.

I could totally see it.

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if I'm in though, CoD has been pretty egregious when it comes to microtransaction stuff, on top of having a season pass.

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess the name works more for a servicy game that's going to be around for many years and propped up with loot boxes and campaign expansions and the sort, a bit like what they did with Destiny.

Sento

Nov 1, 2017
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare

*Pre-Order Now to get Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Remastered

amar212

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Would love to see a return of 3rd person team tact.

It is 3vs3 Team Tactical in MW. Best config ever.

Later 4vs4 and 3rdPOW were so bad IMO

3vs3 is where TT shined.

Destiny made the same mistake with Trials of Osiris and taking it into 4vs4 territory in 2018. It was all downhill from there. Same as TT in CoD series after MW. History repeats and noone learns.

Status
Not open for further replies.