• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Cockroach populations are rapidly evolving to become "almost impossible" to kill with chemicals alone, a team of US scientists said.

When cockroaches survive an insecticide treatment, they and their offspring quickly become "essentially immune" to it, a Purdue University study published in Scientific Reports found.

But crucially, they also develop immunity to a range of other insecticides, even if they were never exposed to them – something the scientists call "cross-resistance".

"We didn't have a clue that something like that could happen this fast," Michael Scharf, professor of entomology – the study of insects and their relationship to humans – said in a statement.

"We would see resistance increase four- or six-fold in just one generation."

Female cockroaches can produce up to 50 offspring every three months, passing their immunity on to them. So even if just a fraction of a cockroach population survives an insecticide treatment and becomes cross-resistant, a decimated population could skyrocket again.

The scientists said in the statement insecticides should still be an important component in controlling cockroach populations.

However, they said that when the insecticide alone could completely eliminate cockroaches, the most effective way to deal with infestations was to combine pesticides with other methods – including traps, improved sanitation and vacuums.

"Some of these methods are more expensive than using only insecticides, but if those insecticides aren't going to control or eliminate a population, you're just throwing money away," Scharf said. "Combining several methods will be the most effective way to eliminate cockroaches."

32c61xF.gif

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Now we just need to find out how to steal this power from them and make it ours.

Hazzaku

Oct 25, 2017
German Cockroaches are hard already to get rid of.
And now they are becoming the drug resistant infection of the insect world ...

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
It's time for everyone to put aside their differences and realize that we're now in full Earth Defense Force mode.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I hate cockroaches living in Florida.

The only way I've solved it is by not cooking. That will teach them!

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this is sensationalist.

I've killed roaches bigger than my thumb in less than 90 seconds by spraying 409 Multi-Purpose Cleaner on them. That bottle is Omar Little to the roach community.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't that the bitch with bed bugs, too? So we have bed bugs and roaches that are resistant to our chemicals, and wasps building massive nests as they survive calmer winters thanks to climate change?

Our future is looking fun!

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Has anyone tried reasoning with them?

I once put on a dress shoe for work and felt my toes pushing up against something squishy/crunchy at the end. I did not negotiate a surrender/peaceful evacuation.

I *hate* cockroaches. I will tolerate almost any other pest except mice/rats. Roaches can all burn in hell. Nuke them from orbit. I'm lucky to be living where they don't exist now....for now...

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I once put on a dress shoe for work and felt my toes pushing up against something squishy/crunchy at the end. I did not negotiate a surrender/peaceful evacuation.

I *hate* cockroaches. I will tolerate almost any other pest except mice/rats. Roaches can all burn in hell. Nuke them from orbit.

One time I went to put a boot on and there was a toad in it. I'd take the toad any day.

Oct 30, 2017
Living in Florida, we pay for an exterminator to come spray every few months.

I'd say about every week we discover about 5 roaches or so. They are all dead when we find them. They will be either outside or inside.
But rest assured, they're dying.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't that the bitch with bed bugs, too?
If you're not at the mercy of a slumlord, roaches can be eliminated with some study and patience. The urgency with resistance has more to do with businesses -- restaurants, food processing facilities, hotels -- that need to stay open, can't use highly toxic or irritating substances, and don't want anyone to notice they're fighting a war. They want something fast, selective, and discrete.

Bed bugs aren't as much of a concern in restaurants or factories but they're a nightmare anywhere people sleep because it's very difficult to poison them at all. They're much smaller than adult roaches (making contact poisons a challenge) and baits are useless of course. These days it's increasingly economical to heat the place up to 50C (122F).