• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Coca-Cola is to test a paper bottle as part of a longer-term bid to eliminate plastic from its packaging entirely. The prototype is made by a Danish company from an extra-strong paper shell that still contains a thin plastic liner. But the goal is to create a 100% recyclable, plastic-free bottle capable of preventing gas escaping from carbonated drinks.
The barrier must also ensure no fibres flake off into the liquid. That would pose a risk of altering the taste of the drink - or potentially fall foul of health and safety checks.
But industry giants are backing the plan. Coca-Cola, for example, has set a goal of producing zero waste by 2030.

Coca-Cola was ranked the world's number one plastic polluter by charity group Break Free From Plastic last year, closely followed by other drink-producers Pepsi and Nestle.

The Paper Bottle Company, or Paboco, is the Danish firm behind development of the paper-based container.
Part of the challenge has been to create a structure capable of withstanding the forces exerted by fizzy drinks - such as cola and beer - which are bottled under pressure.
On top of that, the paper needs to be mouldable, to create distinct bottle shapes and sizes for different brands, and take ink for printing their labels.

After more than seven years of lab work, the firm is now ready to host a trial in Hungary this summer of Coca-Cola's fruit drink Adez. Initially, this will involve 2,000 bottles distributed via a local retail chain. But it is also working with others.

Absolut, the vodka-maker, is due to test 2,000 paper bottles of it own in the UK and Sweden of its pre-mixed, carbonated raspberry drink. And beer company Carlsberg is also building prototypes of a paper beer bottle.
www.bbc.com

Coca-Cola company trials first paper bottle

The test is first step towards all-paper bottle that can withstand pressure from fizzy drinks.

_116927272_adez_paper_bottle.jpg

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
If they are anything like the paper straws that McDonalds use, we are doomed...

edit- just want to point out I am all for moving away from plastics encase anyone misunderstands my comment

Last edited:

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yeah, the paper straws adopted by most fast food companies are actively unusable. Fall apart quickly, alter the flavor of the drink, and ultimately force you to just take the lid off & drink from the cup directly.

Hoping this is different, but my expectations are low.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
Well, if the paper bottle survives cola, it survives anything.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Interesting. I'd be willing to give that a go, I mean Coca-Cola are big and scarily corporate enough to put some muscle into this if they think it'll be a good idea.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
There has to be something more than just paper in that construction right? Some sort of protective layer. They say it's a plant based barrier in the article.

OP
OP
Xando

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
There has to be something more than just paper in that construction right? Some sort of protective layer. They say it's a plant based barrier in the article.
From the article

Michael Michelsen, the firm's commercial manager, says the bottles are formed out of a single piece of paper-fibre-based material to give them strength.
"That's part of the secret really," he explained, adding that moulding a single object - rather than relying on joins - ensured the bonds between the fibres stayed robust.
"With a clever combination of product design and the strong fibre blend, that's what makes it really possible to not break under pressure."
Coca-Cola and Absolut's trials will be the first real-world test of whether the technology holds up to the rough-and-tumble logistics of food transport.

Because the paper cannot come into direct contact with liquids, the plan is to use a plant-based coating on the inside of the bottle.
"It's going to be a bio-based barrier, that's really something minimal, that keeps that food safe, that keeps the product safe at the same time," Mr Michelsen said.
"We have a couple of different options... we have the technology path pretty much chosen, but it is something that we definitely need to pilot and prototype."
For now, one of the benefits of using a plastic screw top is that the prototypes can be used on existing production lines.
But in time they will need to be adapted for an all-paper cap.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Exciting news. It's really important that stuff like this works out, so hopefully this next step is an improvement, because people already hate the crummy paper straws. If these paper bottle can handle Coke, then they can handle anything.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
On one hand, I believe in iterating on things until they're great.

On the other, the abysmal paper straws people are used to - I truly believe - has sent us ten years backwards on fully adopting paper vs. plastic straws.

If they're gonna do it - they need to do it near perfectly right out of the gate.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Sort of like a super juice box, I guess?

Even if it's perfect, I assume people will hate it. But still good that large corporations are moving this way, of course.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

I wish more places used bamboo. Several boba places I go to have adopted bamboo straws, and those are WAY more sturdy than awful paper straws that especially get damaged if your drink has ice in it :/

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
My one experience with a paper straw was so bad I immediately became a take the lid off and drink straight from the cup guy

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Nov 4, 2017
"The barrier must also ensure no fibres flake off into the liquid. That would pose a risk of altering the taste of the drink - or potentially fall foul of health and safety checks."

Priorities right there, folks. Mustn't alter the taste!

OP
OP
Xando

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The solution is non plastic refills, not this and also make plastic polluting companies responsible for their waste and recycling, not local councils, cities, countries.

Ghostbiscuit

Jan 11, 2019
Not sure if I'm missing something here, but a halfway house of mixed paper/plastic sounds like it wouldn't be very recyclable..?

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017

Future Gazer

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
"The barrier must also ensure no fibres flake off into the liquid. That would pose a risk of altering the taste of the drink - or potentially fall foul of health and safety checks."

Priorities right there, folks. Mustn't alter the taste!

I mean, yeah? This is never going to take off if the taste is noticeably altered.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I'm not an expert but i work in the beverage industry and from what someone at a brewery told me the issue is with the carbonated water

I assume has something to do with soda is carbonated, and milk is not.
Hmm, that makes sense. The internal pressures would be very different to say milk or orange juice. Though I wonder how different/similar the Coca-Cola solution will be to these.

I can attest to it being super friendly.

Three out of five of my best friends have been milk cartons.
60% is a solid percentage of milk cartons. Should be 100% though!

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Wait, excuse me, it's called "Adez?" Is it pronounced like it seems like it is?

That said, paper bottle is a really cool idea, I hope it works out well and becomes more commonplace. I can totally see conservatives in the US getting up in arms about it, like they did with paper straws, though.