• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What kind of student would you be?

• Miyagi-do. Inner peace and protection are more in line with my life path.

Votes: 114 50.2%
  • Eagle Fang. I strive to be my best self and be stronger than the person I was yesterday.

Votes: 113 49.8%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
black-miyagi-do-karate_1ee945b1-6740-4466-a785-a33b8bcd7bb2_1200x1200.jpg

Harmony

A defensive fighting style that prioritizes inner peace and harmony. Practitioners of Miyagi-do emphasize defense over offense, avoid confrontation, and emphasize compassion towards others. The Miyagi-do dojo is about only acting in self defense, defense of others, or defense of one's own honor. A model Miyagi-do student is one who is reactionary and at peace with themselves.

eagle-fang-karate-t-shirt-cobra-kai-season-3.jpg

Strength

An offensive fighting style that prioritizes cool factor above all else. Practitioners of Lawrence's Cobra Kai/Eagle Fang karate are all about overcoming one's own inner and physical weaknesses. Under Johnny Lawrence, the old "no mercy" motto has been abandoned in favor of one more honorable - show mercy only once you have overcome your opponent with honor. A Cobra Kai/Eagle Fang student's best self is one who does not feed their own inner faults, and instead works hard to crush them and become as strong as they are able to be.

I will use Eagle Fang's logo and name for the poll, so as to differentiate Johnny's Cobra Kai style from Kreese's.

Obviously, very few of us probably do martial arts, so this would apply more to general mindset and personality rather than fighting style. Which one do you think you fit in with more?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'd have easily identified as Miyagi-do prior to Jan 6th.

Fast descent to Eagle Fang making way more sense to me, though.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The drive and self-improvement that comes with aggression cannot be ignored, but the core tenet of being aggressive purely for self-defence and self-well being keeps you in check not only in physical training, but a lot in life.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people are misrepresenting Miyagi-do by saying that it's defense-only and reactive, and suggesting that it needs to learn a few things from Cobra Kai, a style created by a homicidal lunatic (which one?), which is all about attack and aggression.

Miyagi-do says "Rule #1: Karate is for self-defense only. Rule #2: See rule #1", but that's more about violence being the tool of last resort in conflict resolution. It's about not being an aggressive asshole and causing all the problems that were caused by Kreese and Johnny and Daniel and their kids/students.

If you're gonna fight, there's a good chance that you'll wind up in the hospital or dead, but if you apologize, that's free and easy. If your apology doesn't work and your opponent moves in to attack, then you give them an unblockable crane kick to the face once they step into your attack range.

Mr. Miyagi killed a ton of Germans in WW2. Sato was willing to kill Mr. Miyagi using Miyagi-do karate. That school of fighting can kill. They don't really got a problem with fighting. But Mr. Miyagi and Sato got into an argument over a girl (hello Karate Kid 1 and every season of Cobra Kai), and Sato refused to back down, which meant that Mr. Miyagi was either going to kill his best friend or die himself, so Mr. Miyagi refused to fight and sought other avenues of conflict resolution (like moving to America and living a normal life). That's not cowardice, that's wisdom (which is something that is sorely lacking in the modern Cobra Kai world).

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sorry, Miyagi-do is far superior. Miyagi, not even in his prime, was basically untouched during any of his fights. In addtion....
followers of Miyagi-do karate fought off foreign invaders

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
wow, 50% - 50% (71 - 71 votes)!

I went with Miyagi-do karate, though I'd rather hang with Johnny.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Kreese shows us Cobra Kai/Eagle Fang is just an asshole away from conservative bro 'tough guy'