• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
After months of telling my wife that she would love cobra Kai she finally started it yesterday morning.

She finished season 3 about 10 minutes ago. I knew it!

And now the long wait for season 4

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm really surprised at all the posts saying Hawk
"turned too fast", I thought his actor did an amazing job showing the character's discomfort level rising during each episode where he spent any amount of time near Kreese in the Cobra Kai dojo. Just because something is subtle doesn't mean it isn't there. His actual turn/big damn hero moment came during a scene where they had definitely gone too far and I felt like it was played super well to keep the audience guessing until the last second.
I agree he played it so so well. I think his entire character arc is excellent.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
OMG the Robbie actor is so bad. It doesn't help his character is also shit. Fuck Robbie, man.

Also Johnny and Daniel don't deserve their women lol

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I think the fight at the end of season 2 was done better but this was still cool. There was a better flow to the season 2 one.

Hawk is awesome and one of the best characters in the show but I agree with some previous comments that his turn seemed a little rushed. After his Fight Club beatdown in the dojo of that other kid he was almost beyond the point of redemption.

Also after the ending I'm not sure how Carmen isn't yelling at Jonny and telling him to get lost again after the state Miguel ended up, and how is the Tournament not immediately re-cancelled.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah as far as fights go the S2 finale greatly trumps this one. Also has probably the best piece of original score yet in "Hallway Hellscape".

youtu.be

Hallway Hellscape

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesHallway Hellscape · Leo Birenberg & Zach RobinsonCobra Kai: Season 2 (Soundtrack from the Original Series)℗ 201...

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Loved it. Really starting to wonder what Cobra Kai's end goal is though when they've got some almost comically evil members. Tory is close to killing somebody soon!

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Finally watched this show over the weekend. It's really dumb.....but it's the kind of dumb I like. Can't wait for next season.

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
I though s2 was much better. I mean, I know it's just a dumb show, but Daniel's Japan trip is a bit too much.

Also, maybe mi mind it's playing tricks, but S2 fights were better, obviously the high school fight was amazing an much better than the Larusso's home fight, but some like this kids are actually worse at fighting now, as that makes no sense, I guess the direction was worse for S3.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I though s2 was much better. I mean, I know it's just a dumb show, but Daniel's Japan trip is a bit too much.

Also, maybe mi mind it's playing tricks, but S2 fights were better, obviously the high school fight was amazing an much better than the Larusso's home fight, but some like this kids are actually worse at fighting now, as that makes no sense, I guess the direction was worse for S3.

Before this season we got to see the karate kid do karate (in a fight) like... twice. I can think of at least 3 fight scenes with Daniel involved in this season alone. So that part at least is better for me.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Also after the ending I'm not sure how Carmen isn't yelling at Jonny and telling him to get lost again after the state Miguel ended up, and how is the Tournament not immediately re-cancelled.
To be fair, in S2 Miguel was in critical condition, while
in S3 he got roughed up but was by no means in nearly as much danger as the school fight. Plus he was in an actual state to explain what happened and how Johnny wasn't involved at all.
Why is Karate Kid 3 generally disliked (or at least that is the impression I get)?

The villains in KK3 are cartoonish, for lack of a better term. No real room for nuance at all, they're basically mustache-twirling bad guys with some racism thrown in. The movie also kinda suffered from following KK2, which involved an actual fight to the death, and instead had just another tournament where Daniel didn't even have to compete. There's some nice scenes in the movie, but I wouldn't say those overpower the rest of the film's faults.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
So if the KK3 villain is ridiculous, are you all concerned about the writers bringing him back, or do you think they can make the character interesting?

Professor Beef

Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
So if the KK3 villain is ridiculous, are you all concerned about the writers bringing him back, or do you think they can make the character interesting?
I think it's definitely possible, since they made Kreese more silly in KK3, and now look at him. Terry Silver getting a bit of an origin story during S3 alongside Kreese definitely helps as well.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
You assume dead wrong. This is one of Netflix's biggest shows and they haven't even produced a season yet.
While true, story structure wise next season should indeed be the last one. Season 3 was the first half of act 3 (the "slump") and was all about the heroes picking themselves back up after their lowest point (the end of the Season 2/act 2 of the story). Next season would be the heroes taking one final shot at, and finally being victorious against, the villains.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
While true, story structure wise next season should indeed be the last one. Season 3 was the first half of act 3 (the "slump") and was all about the heroes picking themselves back up after their lowest point (the end of the Season 2/act 2 of the story). Next season would be the heroes taking one final shot at, and finally being victorious against, the villains.

Season 5, the quest to learn Julie's (Hillary Swank's) jump kick.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The show runners disagree with you, they've already said they have a lot more story left to tell. S4 won't be the last.

Professor Beef

Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I would like a hypothetical Season 5 to deal with the aftermath of Cobra Kai's downfall, and how they're going to deal with the now aimless kids.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The show runners disagree with you, they've already said they have a lot more story left to tell. S4 won't be the last.
I can see season 4 ending with them defeating Kreese together, but ultimately breaking up their alliance, but in the spirit of competition. The show ultimately still has to culminate in Johnny vs Daniel. I can easily see season 5 being the final (clean) showdown between Miyagi Do and a reclaimed Cobra Kai, with a Johnny vs Daniel exhibition match at the end. Throw in a Hilary Swank curveball with her curiously showing up with her own students, and maaaybe you could stretch it to a 6th season.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Why is Karate Kid 3 generally disliked (or at least that is the impression I get)?

I watched Karate Kid 3 and The Next Karate Kid a few months ago and found them to be a lot better than what the internet is always saying. Sure, they are not exactly great movies — and certainly not on the same level as Karate Kid 1 — but I did found them to be highly enjoyable.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
This isn't a complaint, but I feel like she exists outside the realm of this show, and is the only character who realizes how ridiculous the entire thing is. It's like she was plucked from a different universe.

She was the one who committed assault and got a restraining order against her.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017

As usual, it will be the show itself that proves if the showrunners are right on this.

She suffers real world consequences while cartoon levels of violence are perpetrated freely all around her.
In this case, it is however easy for Kreese to spin in his favor.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
This show is getting dumber by the season, I'm still chugging along with season 3 but not sure I can muster excitement thaat much longer. The way motivations shift abruptly within episodes, the tiring wishy-washy Johnny / Daniel relationship... I hope the season climax is a good one at least.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I'm biased, but I'm fine with shows just going on as long as everyone wants. It's a tough industry to keep a cast/crew employed long term.
Mmm, I will fall on the line of how much Robbie they have in season 5 versus how much Hawk. The latter I'll watch 8-9 seasons.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Demetri ended up being my favorite character this season lol
Krease is becoming my favorite. The guy initially ruined the show for me, I liked the goofy competition between Johnny and Daniel. Then Krease comes and makes the kids cruel, assholes, killing machines.

But now all I see is the genius acting. He is in a league of his own. He acts like he truly believes he is still in a war, the kids are actually soldiers in his twisted mind. The way he tells to his students "Finish him" every time, damn!

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Mmm, I will fall on the line of how much Robbie they have in season 5 versus how much Hawk. The latter I'll watch 8-9 seasons.
People here need to realize Robbie isn't for them. He's for the teenage girl audience (along with Peyton List). He's like the archetype for them. People say he's a bad actor? No no no he's acting the broody expressionless damaged pretty boy perfectly. Most of his arc was boring this season, but his brief finale fight was fun.

But now all I see is the genius acting. He is in a league of his own. He acts like he truly believes he is still in a war, the kids are actually soldiers in his twisted mind. The way he tells to his students "Finish him" every time, damn!
If you think that's good acting, go check out Martin Kove's Instagram where he truly believes he is Kreese, it's quite funny

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I can see season 4 ending with them defeating Kreese together, but ultimately breaking up their alliance, but in the spirit of competition. The show ultimately still has to culminate in Johnny vs Daniel. I can easily see season 5 being the final (clean) showdown between Miyagi Do and a reclaimed Cobra Kai, with a Johnny vs Daniel exhibition match at the end. Throw in a Hilary Swank curveball with her curiously showing up with her own students, and maaaybe you could stretch it to a 6th season.
I don't see them going back to "spirit of competition". Season 4 end will find them broken in the most negative way. And I expect Diaz to end up Miyagi Do and Robby being trained by his father

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
I don't get why they haven't take his son to play him younger instead of the other guy, it looks so much like his father, more buff but still.

fantastic season, even better than the weak S2, Cobra Kai is what SW should have done, perfect merge of old and new cast with something to bring to the table, amazing show.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
People here need to realize Robbie isn't for them. He's for the teenage girl audience (along with Peyton List). He's like the archetype for them. People say he's a bad actor? No no no he's acting the broody expressionless damaged pretty boy perfectly. Most of his arc was boring this season, but his brief finale fight was fun.
Using social media as a metric, Xolo is luckily more popular than Tanner.
(It is however very very clear how popular Peyton List was before Cobra Kai, she has 17 million followers, 14 times as much as Mary who is before Xolo and Tanner)