• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You know, one thing that upsets me is that even though its a fantastic show, sometimes it doesnt really differ a lot from Rocky V, seriously watch the final street fight and say that cant be in Cobra Kai, ones maligned as an awful product of its time, ones beloved for being a product of an older time

Controversial

Rocky V isn't bad because it has a street fight though. Its bad because of everything else, like writing and acting. Stuff that Cobra Kai nails.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Will the show address COVID? Doesn't seem like it would be too hard if season 3 ended December 2019. A time jump could also be a chance to explain why the cast looks older.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rocky V isn't bad because it has a street fight though. Its bad because of everything else, like writing and acting. Stuff that Cobra Kai nails.

The acting in Rocky V is pretty OK actually, Stallone's son does a very good job.

Rocky V was redeemed as a concept anyway by Creed which is basically a similar kind of story. Creed is to the Rocky series what Cobra Kai is to Karate Kid.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
The acting in Rocky V is pretty OK actually, Stallone's son does a very good job.

Rocky V was redeemed as a concept anyway by Creed which is basically a similar kind of story. Creed is to the Rocky series what Cobra Kai is to Karate Kid.
I don't even know what I mean exactly but the Star Wars sequels should have been more like Creed and Cobra Kai

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Will the show address COVID? Doesn't seem like it would be too hard if season 3 ended December 2019. A time jump could also be a chance to explain why the cast looks older.
Let's hope not. This really isn't a show where I need Covid. I would love a Johnny reacts to Covid special though.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Every song from S2E8 - Cobra Kai, "Glory of Love" | WhatSong

Listen to every song from S2E8 - Cobra Kai, "Glory of Love", with scene descriptions.

The song Glory of Love was not used in the episode Glory of Love. Or any other episode. They are saving it.

Yeah I was wondering how I missed that. They used Rock N' Roll Over You from KK2 this past season during the soccer scene, but they haven't used the song Glory of Love, they are probably saving it.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even know what I mean exactly but the Star Wars sequels should have been more like Creed and Cobra Kai

I think that point has been made before and it's not entirely unfair. Creed and Cobra Kai do the whole "next generation plus the old generation" thing way better. Especially CK indulges in nostalgia a lot but still is fresh and new and evolves even the older characters in ways that feel natural and not "well, this would be convenient for the plot tho".

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
They're not addressing COVID, showrunners have already confirmed

I'm glad about that too, it's gonna date so many shows. Honestly I expect this TV season to be like the writer's strike season of 07-08. Less episodes and generally a lower quality of show, maybe not for Cobra Kai but for a hell of a lot of shows

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I think that point has been made before and it's not entirely unfair. Creed and Cobra Kai do the whole "next generation plus the old generation" thing way better. Especially CK indulges in nostalgia a lot but still is fresh and new and evolves even the older characters in ways that feel natural and not "well, this would be convenient for the plot tho".

The only problem with comparing SW with Creed and Cobra Kai, is that structurally they're insanely different from what's expected from a SW film. Creed is much smaller movie, and can focus almost entirely on the main character and his relationship with those around him. Cobra Kai is a show with multiple episodes to spend developing its cast, and even then it kind of drops the ball for some.

The sequel trilogy in comparison has to introduce a new status quo, develop its characters, and have massive stakes. It definitely failed to successfully do that, but I don't think fans would have been happy with a smaller scale Creed like film with Luke training an apprentice, and there was no way for a film to have the time to develop a cast like Cobra Kai.

None of this takes away from the impressive success of Cobra Kai though. This series has no right being as good as it is. I completely dismissed it when I first heard about it, and am now enjoying it a lot. It exists in a weird, slightly exaggerated reality, but it is still a lot of fun.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dont turn to Cobra Kai for social commentary or current events- keep COVID out of it

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Redo that first fight scene in the gas station parking lot - the bullies are picking on Miguel for wearing a mask. Johnny beats the shit out of them because "masks are badass."

Disco

Oct 25, 2017

Cobra Kai season 1: Daniel has gone missing looking for the sacred Miyagi scrolls

Creed has gotta be my favorite revival of an old franchise but Cobra Kai has been doing a great job. They're doing fantastic filling in the gap Miyagi left with Johnny and Daniel. But it would still have been nice if Miyagi actor was alive to appear in this :(

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
difference between creed and cobra kai (or most reboots/sequels) is cobra kai is a bit of a funhouse mirror version of the universe that preceeded it. like yeah it's technically 100% canon but tonally it's quite on a different chart

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
In case anyone needed confirmation, this show is intentionally trying to be live action anime

We LOVE to discuss the characters of the show with a sort of Dragon Ball Z mentality, which is a big storytelling influence for us, and 9:17 is a capitulation of one of our favorite moments of the series, when Chozen "goes super-saiyan" and demonstrates the pressure point technique on Daniel. Now Daniel channels Chozen's teachings and turns them on Kreese. It's beyond epic and beautiful and gives us a chance to go absolutely ham in the orchestra, with a fortissimo fanfare driving us to the conclusion of this gargantuan showdown.

consequenceofsound.net

Cobra Kai composers reveal Origins of Season 3 soundtrack song "Duel of the Snakes": Stream

Cobra Kai composers Leo Birenberg and Zach Robinson and discuss "Duel of the Snakes" from the Season 3 soundtrack. Stream the song now and read its Origins.

Nov 27, 2020
In case anyone needed confirmation, this show is intentionally trying to be live action anime

We LOVE to discuss the characters of the show with a sort of Dragon Ball Z mentality, which is a big storytelling influence for us, and 9:17 is a capitulation of one of our favorite moments of the series, when Chozen "goes super-saiyan" and demonstrates the pressure point technique on Daniel. Now Daniel channels Chozen's teachings and turns them on Kreese. It's beyond epic and beautiful and gives us a chance to go absolutely ham in the orchestra, with a fortissimo fanfare driving us to the conclusion of this gargantuan showdown.

consequenceofsound.net

Cobra Kai composers reveal Origins of Season 3 soundtrack song "Duel of the Snakes": Stream

Cobra Kai composers Leo Birenberg and Zach Robinson and discuss "Duel of the Snakes" from the Season 3 soundtrack. Stream the song now and read its Origins.
And it's called "Duel of the Snakes"??? Niiiiiiice

Sep 15, 2020
In Netflix's 'Cobra Kai,' Seattle restaurateur Yuji Okumoto reprises a role — and a life — he thought he'd left behind - Seattle Times

When the producers of Netflix hit "Cobra Kai" called Yuji Okumoto back in September 2019 with an offer to revisit one of the glory days of his career, the Seattle actor, producer and restaurateur was more than ready for the meeting.

The truth was he'd long been thinking about the character of Chozen, his ever-so-menacing villain in "The Karate Kid Part II," the 1986 blockbuster that put Okumoto in the role of bad guy to Ralph Macchio's titular hero. Okumoto was excited to take the call — but he had a couple of thoughts.

If you're in the area, stop by his Hawaiian restaurants Kona Kitchen

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just a few minutes in to the first episode and I laughed at the reference of the internet meme that Daniel was the real bully.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
If you're in the area, stop by his Hawaiian restaurants Kona Kitchen
I did exactly that today for the Lynnwood location for dinner after seeing the Seattle times article. I've always gone to the Seattle location in the past but never quite made the connection who he was. Just saw tons of celeb photos all over and just thought it was celebs visiting because of how popular/good kona was. Damn haha.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 2
Two men in their 50s run inside a chop shop and start kicking people.
😂

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man I didn't like Hawk getting the turn at the end, dude is such a cunt for all he's done he needs a good ass kicking for all of it. Tory is also another psychopath regardless of her circumstances she needs professional help.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like (S3 finale spoilers)
Hawk's turn needed just another beat to really sell it. Like really show that Dimitri was going to get his arm broken again, or real pain, or something - that one thing to push him over the edge. Not just showing us the same thing that Hawk himself has been doing the whole time.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
For all the complaints about where Hawk's story is going, his actor probably sells the fighting the best out of anyone on the show. His physicality is leaps and bounds above everyone else.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
For all the complaints about where Hawk's story is going, his actor probably sells the fighting the best out of anyone on the show. His physicality is leaps and bounds above everyone else.
Nobody is complaining about the dude's acting, everyone knows he's legit good

just needed an extra scene or two to make the story work better, that isn't on the actor