• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
When you think about it, it's kind of weird how they reference other 80s movies, yet "Karate Kid" doesn't exist.

Like, does "My Cousin Vinny" not exist in this world either, or does it star someone else like how Stallone played the Terminator in "Last Action Hero?"

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Daniel can't even follow his own damn lessons. He's 50, and has done three films on the subject. His wife is a better Miyagi student.
The Daniel character didn't make a lot of sense to me. He always got the girl so him being married with kids makes sense. Him being this super successful anything doesn't unless Miyagi set it up for him. The Larusso's didn't really do shit unless Miyagi was doing it for them or teaching them how to do it.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The Daniel character didn't make a lot of sense to me. He always got the girl so him being married with kids makes sense. Him being this super successful anything doesn't unless Miyagi set it up for him. The Larusso's didn't really do shit unless Miyagi was doing it for them or teaching them how to do it.
His wife is loaded, it was her dad that set them up with the garage. Or am I misremembering season 1?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
His wife is loaded, it was her dad that set them up with the garage. Or am I misremembering season 1?
Well he is lucky so that fits with his character.

But his two main traits in the movies are his ability to get the girl and instantly find enemies wherever he goes in life.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't cast aspersions on Daniel's mom, considering that her husband died and she was left to raise Daniel on her own.

(One of the few things we can infer about Daniel's late father might come from Daniel's mom's car. It's a 1969, same age as Daniel, and it's a "family" station wagon, while also having deliberate performance options like a manual transmission. And by the time of Karate Kid 1, it has seen better days. One can assume that Daniel's dad liked performance cars, but was forced to "settle down" when Daniel was born, and after Daniel's dad died, the car essentially got serious and became the family's workhorse.)

As for Daniel's success, Mr Miyagi clearly knew a lot about cars (mostly the cars of his era), and Daniel seemed to show a healthy interest in cars, despite not knowing much about them himself (beyond his ability to drive stick at the first opportunity).

And Cobra Kai season 2 says that Daniel got a job selling used cars (probably put his washing/waxing skills to good use), and his first boss was an asshole who saw all of his customers as potential victims, while Daniel almost immediately started to outsell his boss by treating his customers like people, as Mr Miyagi taught him to do. And Daniel has always been a good talker. And in used car sales, making sales is the only measurement of success. If you can sell a lot of cars, you can really go places. If you can't sell cars, you'll go out of business.

Also, since Karate Kid 1, Daniel's been living in the rich part of town. Ali was rich. Johnny was supposed to be rich (although Cobra Kai says "not really"). It would be no surprise that Daniel's wife came from money.

And Daniel's wife can sell cars too. Daniel and his wife are apparently the two best sellers at LaRusso Auto. And they work even better than the sum of their parts when they team up. And Daniel's wife seems to be capable of running their entire company singlehandedly (she apparently needs Daniel to come into work sometimes).

And now they sell luxury cars in their wealthy neighborhood.

And, Daniel did have some celebrity in the karate community after winning his two titles. People were asking for his autograph at the start of Karate Kid 2. And his natural corniness with regards to putting himself in his own advertisements was noted by advertising executives in season 1 as an advantage which made their job easier, because everyone needs a "gimmick" in order to stand out and get noticed.

I'd say all of that adds up to make a lot of sense.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
LaRusso seriously needed a reality check this season. He was such a dick for no reason.

Hopefully Miguel recovers nicely so he can explain to his mom what happened. Poor Johnny didn't deserve all that.

Oct 26, 2017
That last episode was absolutely bonkers

Alright we'll, the season never hit the highs of the first and the only episode , that I can remember, that came close was episode 9 which was packed with humor and great chemistry between Daniel and Johnny. Those were the kind of moments I was looking for.

In fact, any scene with Johnny still very much nailed it. His bit with the laptop and discovering the internet was another great example of just how disconnected this guy was from society

Hawk and Miguel continued to be the most interesting students in the show. Hawk himself got some nice and much needed backstory.

I did like the overarching story this season about Johnny and Daniel dealing with their past mentorship and making decisions on what kind of decisions they were going to make to train their own students ...and failing.

The season needed more smart humor. That's all that was missing for me.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't cast aspersions on Daniel's mom, considering that her husband died and she was left to raise Daniel on her own.

(One of the few things we can infer about Daniel's late father might come from Daniel's mom's car. It's a 1969, same age as Daniel, and it's a "family" station wagon, while also having deliberate performance options like a manual transmission. And by the time of Karate Kid 1, it has seen better days. One can assume that Daniel's dad liked performance cars, but was forced to "settle down" when Daniel was born, and after Daniel's dad died, the car essentially got serious and became the family's workhorse.)

As for Daniel's success, Mr Miyagi clearly knew a lot about cars (mostly the cars of his era), and Daniel seemed to show a healthy interest in cars, despite not knowing much about them himself (beyond his ability to drive stick at the first opportunity).

And Cobra Kai season 2 says that Daniel got a job selling used cars (probably put his washing/waxing skills to good use), and his first boss was an asshole who saw all of his customers as potential victims, while Daniel almost immediately started to outsell his boss by treating his customers like people, as Mr Miyagi taught him to do. And Daniel has always been a good talker. And in used car sales, making sales is the only measurement of success. If you can sell a lot of cars, you can really go places. If you can't sell cars, you'll go out of business.

Also, since Karate Kid 1, Daniel's been living in the rich part of town. Ali was rich. Johnny was supposed to be rich (although Cobra Kai says "not really"). It would be no surprise that Daniel's wife came from money.

And Daniel's wife can sell cars too. Daniel and his wife are apparently the two best sellers at LaRusso Auto. And they work even better than the sum of their parts when they team up. And Daniel's wife seems to be capable of running their entire company singlehandedly (she apparently needs Daniel to come into work sometimes).

And now they sell luxury cars in their wealthy neighborhood.

And, Daniel did have some celebrity in the karate community after winning his two titles. People were asking for his autograph at the start of Karate Kid 2. And his natural corniness with regards to putting himself in his own advertisements was noted by advertising executives in season 1 as an advantage which made their job easier, because everyone needs a "gimmick" in order to stand out and get noticed.

I'd say all of that adds up to make a lot of sense.
Mrs. Larusso loves her son and seems like a great mother, but even she doesn't have the best judgment in some areas of life. For example in the first movie she complains about her job with computers, saying its just a fad or something like that, and then goes on to say she wished she had a good job like a waitress or something stable that will always be around. In the second movie Daniel immediately loses Ali, fucks up his car and decides that he should invest his life savings on a trip to Okinawa. Miyagi immediately knows this is a horrible mistake and they have to resort to ice breaking to win him his money back. That hard won money for college is then immediately spent on a bonsai tree business, again when Daniel should be going to school or getting a job or perhaps trying to make a single friend in life he instead goes all in on on the wrong thing.

At any point where did Daniel show good judgment or the ability to accomplish something when he was not explicitly shown the way by Mr. Miyagi?

I do agree with him getting the girl, that is one of his two skills shown throughout the movies. He can land in a foreign country and within minutes the most desirable girl is going to be in love with him (at least for a little while until she gets to actually know him). And of course his innate ability to create enemies. I think Sato hates him the second he gets off the plane. And he makes an enemy of Johnny like one day into his move to Cali. You don't see Sato or Johnny fucking with anyone else, its always Daniel...

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it. The wife and I both liked it, but we also both thought that the ending was freakin' bananas.

This season felt a bit over the top but still went places I didn't expect. I liked the first season more but I still enjoyed it a lot. And...

Hmmm.. Ali sends a request at the end. Isn't she a pediatric surgeon now? I wonder if that's where they're going with it next season.

Ooohhhhh.....good call! Totally forgot about that bit!

One weird thing about this show is it seems at best neutral on drunk driving.

I mean obviously Johnny is driving drunk constantly but even the Larussos have no hesitation driving home after drinking at that Mexican place, and they made sure to note they were ordering more rounds of drinks.

Totally agreed, I even mentioned that to my wife this morning. In the Mexican restaurant scene, they make it pretty clear that they all had more than just a couple. And yeah, there are at least 2 scenes in the entire series where it is clear that Johnny is in absolutely NO shape to drive, but there are no consequences. They did specifically mention Uber at one point (won't say where), but since

Johnny has a smartphone now, I think I would have liked to see Miguel or someone teach him about the Uber app (or Lyft, whatever). Would have been a good way of saying "Hey, there are always other options to get home, and especially nowadays, there's no excuse for driving under the influence."

Quick Karate Kid theory: Tory is a previously known character's kid.

Three things stick out: her troubled past, massive amount of aggression, and her kickboxing.

If she is a known character's kid, I have two candidates.

1) Dutch. There has got to be a reason he was brought up. He has two of the three issues Tory has (psycho, troubled kid). The big piece against this is that the rest of the Cobra Kai OGs knew his current status. They would likely know if he had a kid running around.

2) Matt Barnes from Karate Kid 3. Until Daniel brought up his time with Silver, I thought KK3 didn't matter. Now it is in play, Tory matches the villain in that movie in two ways: kickboxer and incredibly talented.

Could be nothing, but for a character that came out of nowhere, Tory is suspicious.

Yes, those 2 options are what I was thinking as well. Leaning more towards #1, since it would tie in more with the rest of it, but #2 would also make perfect sense.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Larusso's daughter looks like young Emilia Clarke

Episode 4
Miyagi L Dojo

Damn they are trying to make me care for Kreese. Not just one dimensional bad guy

Last edited:

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mrs. Larusso loves her son and seems like a great mother, but even she doesn't have the best judgment in some areas of life. For example in the first movie she complains about her job with computers, saying its just a fad or something like that, and then goes on to say she wished she had a good job like a waitress or something stable that will always be around.
She did move her family across the country for a job in computers, to immediately leave that for a job as a waitress.
I'd say it's not entirely clear what was up with the waitressing job.

Daniel says that they moved from New Jersey to California because his mom "got a job" in computers (as in, she was hired, and the job is already hers), requiring the move. "Rocket Computers". Daniel's neighbor says he's never heard of them. Daniel says they're new.

Maybe the company was bluffing and fell apart? Maybe the job's start date wasn't immediate (she did have time to move to California by way of a cross-country road trip), and Daniel's mom needed money to hold them over? Maybe she was working two jobs because their financial situation was just that bad?

The only thing we do know is that Daniel's mom was in town for two days (although it seems implied that she scouted the area ahead of time), and the restaurant where she was working was already offering to promote her up to management, and the pay/benefits she was being offered for that restaurant-management job were a step up from anything she felt she could get by working in computers.

Either way, I'd say good for her for making it work, somehow. This is 1984 that we're talking about. Women were expected to be homemakers while men were expected to be breadwinners. Daniel's father died an untimely death, so Daniel's mom took up the breadwinner role, but she never let that be an excuse to slack off on the homemaking role, and made sure to cook a daily breakfast and dinner for Daniel (which is something she chides Daniel's non-homemaking wife for).

Mr. Miyagi's parenting assistance proved to be priceless and invaluable, but I think it's unfair to characterize Daniel's mom as someone who was incapable and who couldn't accomplish anything without Mr. Miyagi's help. I've got a ton of respect for any single parent, especially those who were also forced into a new gender role during their time of tragedy (which includes stuff like dads who were forced to learn to cook and clean).

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A deleted scene says the company is bankrupt, and so she is lying about the restaurant job being that good.
https://slate.com/culture/2012/08/k...es-ralph-macchios-audition-tape-and-more.html
Ouch. Puts a new spin on that scene where Daniel trashes his bike after some bullying, and his concerned mom asks what's going on, and Daniel says she doesn't want to know what's wrong, she just wants Daniel to lie and smile and pretend to be happy, and that maybe she loves it here in California, but he's miserable.

But she's also lying and smiling and pretending to be happy (for his benefit).

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Great news about season 3. I'm still processing how I feel about S02. Felt slightly meandering, with less character development and some weird choices for new characters (like stingray.) The highs aren't as high as S01, but I still liked it. I like the way the finale panned out, a school brawl rather than a tournament which just gets old if that's what they rely on over and over, so that was a fine choice. I can see them returning to some form of tournament plotline in S03 which I'd be fine with.

liked:
-pretty much everything with Robby, Miguel, Sam
-daniel and johnny; my heart is with daniel's character, even if he makes a lot of frustrating choices, but ultimately i'm rooting for johnny as he has the most to gain from overcoming his challenges. feels like we might see them teaming up more next season
-i'm up and down on John Kreese's contributions this season, but his setup for next season is positioned right where he should be
-final episode battle and setup for S03

didn't like:
-over reliance on the daniel & wife marital problems
-would like to up their game on the fight choreography, especially any fights with adult characters. feels pretty unconvincing at times.
-Anthony LaRusso just straight up disappears off to summer camp, what a waste of a character, especially when Sam gets so much focus. Maybe some attention in S03?
-hawk and demetri thread is starting to feel tired, made worse by demetri being both not a very likeable character, nor a compelling opponent for Hawk

Last edited:

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished and then read the renewal news. Good stuff. Looking forward to Season 3: Return of Ali.

Also, Johnny better have a happy ending you fucks. This is supposed to be a comedy.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I hope season 3 delivers a nice finale. I don't want the risk of a sudden cancellation.

Oct 28, 2017
I hope season 3 delivers a nice finale. I don't want the risk of a sudden cancellation.

I don't think there's any chance. This thing could run on fumes 2-3 more seasons. The streaming numbers have been a monster. It took them a week last year after season 1 dropped to order season 2. It took them less than a week this time to order the next season.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there's any chance. This thing could run on fumes 2-3 more seasons. The streaming numbers have been a monster. It took them a week last year after season 1 dropped to order season 2. It took them less than a week this time to order the next season.

It also seems to be the biggest show on YouTube Red.

It is the biggest fiction show on a service that is cancelling almost every of its fiction shows. YouTube Premium as a 'television channel' is dead. So I hope they manage to stay away from huge cliffhangers like this season by the time Google gets completely tired of fiction.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
That episode 10 fight scene was the best school fight scene.
That one take.
These kids take bumps

Great turn of events for the next season.
Even Miguel is going hate Johnny in the beginning, but that will be the arc for next season.

They could end it next season. This season being the Empire Strikes Back of the series

Professor Beef

Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
It's a good thing Ali is a pediatric surgeon and she may or may not be joining the cast next season.

I don't think Miguel will hate Johnny tbh, but he's certainly not gonna be happy with Robby

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
People sure are worried about the cancellation of this show. With the way Youtube Premium is panning out... I wouldn't be surprised if they don't get renewed for 4, regardless of how successful it is.

But the show has strong potential to get picked up elsewhere I think. Even so, I think Google/Youtube should invest in growing their premium lineup. This show turned out really well, so I wonder what other things they have on the burner that could be of interest.

Slow day for me so I've been rewatching S02 in the background. Show never gets boring.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good thing Ali is a pediatric surgeon and she may or may not be joining the cast next season.

I don't think Miguel will hate Johnny tbh, but he's certainly not gonna be happy with Robby
Miguel's mom (currently) hates Johnny for teaching Miguel how to fight (because back when he was weak, he only got bullied, he never got hospitalized).

But Miguel might hate Johnny for teaching him to show mercy. Showing mercy to Robby was Miguel's "mistake" in that fight, and remember, Kreese is running Cobra Kai now, and Kreese says Johnny's mercy is weak and wrong.

And, Johnny is likely to run after Robby to try and save him. After Johnny explicitly told Miguel that he was always going to be on "Miguel's side". And after Miguel and Hawk already pretty much accused Johnny of showing unfair favoritism to Robbie.

Season 3 could easily have Miguel hating Johnny, if that's where the writers feel like taking the show.

Professor Beef

Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
But Miguel might hate Johnny for teaching him to show mercy. Showing mercy to Robby was Miguel's "mistake" in that fight, and remember, Kreese is running Cobra Kai now, and Kreese says Johnny's mercy is weak and wrong.
True, but Miguel also didn't buy into Kreese's bullshit (and apparently neither did Aisha, although I forget if she was at the hospital with Sam at the time during the final scene at the dojo). I can totally see Miguel's faith in Johnny being shaken, but I think he would hate him only because his mom would push it. Remember that Johnny cleared the air with Miguel re: Robby by sharing their history. Miguel accepted it, although Hawk is far too gone to ever listen to Johnny again.

And, Johnny is likely to run after Robby to try and save him. After Johnny explicitly told Miguel that he was always going to be on "Miguel's side". And after Miguel and Hawk already pretty much accused Johnny of showing unfair favoritism to Robbie.
See above for the underlined. For the first part, I don't know if I can see Johnny chasing after Robby, at least not immediately. My guess is that he meets with Ali or Daniel beforehand (definitely both, but who first is up in the air), and then makes a decision on how to approach the Robby issue. I'm pulling this out of my ass tbh, but my guess is that Ali convinces them to settle their bullshit and figure out a way to deal with Kreese. Aisha's role will likely be to deal with Miguel and his mom while he's out of commission, while her and Sam also figure out how to deal with Tory.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I think Miguel might be the only person to be on camp Johnny at the beginning. There might be some fallout, but it would be devastating if these two don't get back on friend terms after one episode.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
I enjoyed the new season, especially with how dire things look right now. I can see Johnny joining forces with Larusso eventually to take back Cobra Kai. The one thing I didn't like about the last ep was the final cliffhanger. While Ali is a nice tease, I don't think she fits into the big dilemma/situation at all so I feel like it's a wasted tease. Like, a call from the hospital or from Robbie would have been a better missed notification.

Side jote: my brother is in one scene this season. He was one of the Asian guys (no speaking lines) at miyagi-do (he sweeps Demitri) and they thought he looked too old so they switched out his actor for the freezer scene. Haha

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I didn't like about the last ep was the final cliffhanger. While Ali is a nice tease, I don't think she fits into the big dilemma/situation at all so I feel like it's a wasted tease. Like, a call from the hospital or from Robbie would have been a better missed notification.
I'd say that Ali is a pivotal figure in Johnny's happiness, particularly in season 2.

Johnny's got a lifelong grudge against Daniel LaRusso, which has been weighing heavily on him for decades, because Daniel defeated Johnny that one time and stole Ali away from him (from Johnny's misguided point of view).

The closest he came to being friends with Daniel in S1 was when (after bonding over cars and booze) Daniel used his phone to show Johnny that Ali was on facebook, although Daniel won't contact her, because Daniel has moved on with his life, and he's happily married (as is Ali).

In S2, Johnny tells the dying Tommy that he has never really gotten over Ali, which is why he sabotages all of his relationships with women, like Robbie's mother. Tommy tells Johnny that Johnny has the most precious gift of all: time (the one thing Tommy doesn't have any more of). Johnny still has time to fix his personal problems and get his shit together and live a happier life.

All of a sudden, Johnny is fantasizing about Miguel's mother. He decides to make a move. But nope, Miguel's mom is a few steps ahead of Johnny and is already seeing someone.

So caveman Johnny joins the modern century and buys a cell phone and gets Miguel to help him set up a dating profile, and all of his modern dates go down in flames.

And then a defeated Johnny considers using his new phone to reach out to Ali on facebook. Until a cavewoman hits Johnny with their shared caveman move, which inadvertantly sends the message to Ali, while distracting Johnny because he's finally found his cavewoman ... Until he casts her aside with barely a second thought to go play White Knight and save Miguel's mom from an asshole. And Johnny gets the girl (Miguel's mom).

Now we get the closest Johnny comes to being friends with Daniel in S2, when Daniel and Johnny are forced into a double-date. Johnny's success with women = a thawing between him and Daniel.

And then Miguel gets hurt and Miguel's mom never wants to see him again, crashing and burning his attempt to insert himself into their lives as a husband and father. Plus he loses Cobra Kai. It's been a rough day.

And then Johnny's phone does a phone thing. It's bothersome, and annoying to our broken caveman hero (especially if you consider how self-destructive he is in this moment, and how he got the phone to try and hook up with hot babes), so he throws it away.

But then, the notification was Ali responding to his friend request. It's one of the best things that could've happened to him, and seeing it could've given him a spark of hope, but he doesn't see it, because he's not allowed to be happy right now. And while it could technically go nowhere (maybe Ali just friended him on an account he will never log into ever again), it's more likely a strong tease for the audience, saying that Ali is coming to Cobra Kai in season 3. Similar to the Kreese tease at the end of season 1.

It wouldn't work as well with it being the hospital calling, because that all happened in-person. Same with Robbie, he has a million other ways of contacting Johnny, and the phone wouldn't mean anything to them.

The phone represents Ali because Daniel showed Johnny that a modern phone could reach Ali, and because Johnny tried to use the phone for dating.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ive been avoiding reading the thread to not get TOO spoiled, but as someone who loved S1's attempt to not make the character so black and white and giving Johnny a redemption arc of sorts, can someone lightly spoil me whether S2 has Johnny once again on the bad side and Daniel on the good side? Because I was dreading that after the S1 end reveal.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
ive been avoiding reading the thread to not get TOO spoiled, but as someone who loved S1's attempt to not make the character so black and white and giving Johnny a redemption arc of sorts, can someone lightly spoil me whether S2 has Johnny once again on the bad side and Daniel on the good side? Because I was dreading that after the S1 end reveal.

No if anything Daniel and Johnny might team up for next season or build to it.

Oct 28, 2017

Both turn out to be big assholes at the end of the season whose misguided actions have fucked a lot of shit up for a lot of people. Their rivalry has left a pretty good literal path of destruction in its wake.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
10-4 thanks yall

Not sure about the route yall are telling me either, but I'm glad that at the very least what they were implying with the final few scenes of S1 didnt come to pass.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Daniel is significantly less of an antagonist in S2, but he's still not perfect. He's trying and sometimes failing to live up to Mr. Miyagi's example.

Johnny doesn't turn darkside. Not any more than usual.

Kreese is present.

The kids (on all sides) are still screwing things up for everyone. More than in S1, actually.

Also, "fate" and "destiny" (aka: the show's writers) are still conspiring to push characters into unlikely scenarios that can only end in drama.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to see this whenever the series finale will be. But with Johnny and Daniel VS Kresse.

Here's the build up to the tag fight. (please skip to 2:20. If it doesn't work)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.