• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Just finished season 1 and the thread title is 100% accurate. I binged it in 2 days which is pretty unusual for me.

Why was miguel's last move considered dishonorable though? Is it because he hit the shoulder? They focused the shot on him holding robby's leg alluding he might break it or something like in the original but just did a regular hit afterwards. Probably missed something.

Last edited:

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just finished season 1 and the thread title is 100% accurate. I binged it in 2 days which is pretty unusual for me.

Why was miguel's last move considered dishonorable though? Is it because he hit the shoulder? They focused the show on him holding robby's leg alluding he might break it or something like in the original but just did a regular hit afterwards. Probably missed something.

Yeah, he injured the shoulder. Remember the scene with Daniel and him in the locker room. Robby was going to drop out, and Daniel looked like he was going to use magical Miyagi healing on his shoulder but called for a medic instead.

Then in the match Robby pulled off that move that Daniel could never master, which only requires one hand to do. (One hand on the floor, kick with both feet)

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, he injured the shoulder. Remember the scene with Daniel and him in the locker room. Robby was going to drop out, and Daniel looked like he was going to use magical Miyagi healing on his shoulder but called for a medic instead.

Then in the match Robby pulled off that move that Daniel could never master, which only requires one hand to do. (One hand on the floor, kick with both feet)
Is that an actual thing in Karate? Like some code not to hit your opponent where they are injured? I don't really know much about martial arts but it sounds like it handicaps your opponent unless they their win to be labeled "dishonorable".

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is that an actual thing in Karate? Like some code not to hit your opponent where they are injured? I don't really know much about martial arts but it sounds like it handicaps your opponent unless they their win to be labeled "dishonorable".

In most martial arts, you're not supposed to maim your opponent, no.

Especially in a karate tournament. You're not going for a knock out, you're trying to score points with clean, unblocked hits. (But you aren't aiming to injure)

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
In most martial arts, you're not supposed to maim your opponent, no.

Especially in a karate tournament. You're not going for a knock out, you're trying to score points with clean, unblocked hits. (But you aren't aiming to injure)

Shrikey

Oct 27, 2017
Why was miguel's last move considered dishonorable though? Is it because he hit the shoulder? They focused the shot on him holding robby's leg alluding he might break it or something like in the original but just did a regular hit afterwards. Probably missed something.

It wasn't just hitting the shoulder, though, it was also when Robby offered to help him up after kicking him down and Miguel went for a shoulder tug, which earned him a penalty, THEN kicking the shoulder. Both of those in conjunction amount to a pretty dick move.

Finished s2 just now and it really is an amazingly weird show. It really shouldn't exist in 2020. Even though there's so much cliche teenage sports movie bullshit in it, it's so goddamn pitch perfect. I don't care that it sometimes feels like I'm watching Seventh Heaven with Karate. It's glorious.

The one thing I really wish for in s3 is that they work on some of the casts skills a bit more. Hawk, Miguel, Johnny, Tory and Robby can really deliver, but the rest of the cast is really kind of lackluster. Which makes perfect sense for young actors working in TV (and Ralph Macchio, I guess), but it's the one thing bringing it down at this point. That said, the finale in S2 really was surprisingly well choreographed (and shot) for TV, and the fight(s) carried real emotional weight.

I really hope they let it go after s3, though. They set up for a nice grand finale, I really hope they don't overstay their welcome.

Jul 19, 2018
It wasn't just hitting the shoulder, though, it was also when Robby offered to help him up after kicking him down and Miguel went for a shoulder tug, which earned him a penalty, THEN kicking the shoulder. Both of those in conjunction amount to a pretty dick move.

Finished s2 just now and it really is an amazingly weird show. It really shouldn't exist in 2020. Even though there's so much cliche teenage sports movie bullshit in it, it's so goddamn pitch perfect. I don't care that it sometimes feels like I'm watching Seventh Heaven with Karate. It's glorious.

The one thing I really wish for in s3 is that they work on some of the casts skills a bit more. Hawk, Miguel, Johnny, Tory and Robby can really deliver, but the rest of the cast is really kind of lackluster. Which makes perfect sense for young actors working in TV (and Ralph Macchio, I guess), but it's the one thing bringing it down at this point. That said, the finale in S2 really was surprisingly well choreographed (and shot) for TV, and the fight(s) carried real emotional weight.

I really hope they let it go after s3, though. They set up for a nice grand finale, I really hope they don't overstay their welcome.

I'm sure someone said they had enough material for ten seasons 😂

Oct 26, 2017
Macchio confirmed in a Conan O'Brien interview that they did indeed shoot in Okinawa for real this time. Here's hoping for some insane locations.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the...? Is it canon?
The showrunners have said that their show's (current?) canon is every movie that had Pat Morita as Mr. Miyagi.

That means that Karate Kid 1-3 are canon (obviously, as all three have already been referenced in seasons 1&2), but Hilary Swank's movie "The Next Karate Kid" (aka Karate Kid 4) is also explicitly canon (even though it hasn't been referenced yet). A Hilary Swank cameo is something that the showrunners definitely want, assuming they can work something out with Hilary Swank, and/or her agent.

The Jaden Smith/Jackie Chan reboot movie is implied to be ruled out of canon (since it doesn't have Pat Morita), even though Will Smith is a producer on Cobra Kai (due to Will Smith's financial involvement in the reboot, but also due to Will Smith's love of the franchise). But it would be fairly simple to include the reboot movie in the same world, it's just as-yet not connected in any obvious way. Ralph Macchio is also a producer on Cobra Kai, and he said that the reboot movie was great, his only complaint was that they should have called it the Kung Fu Kid, since the movie is explicitly about Kung Fu, not Karate. Getting Jaden Smith on board for Cobra Kai might be rather simple (since Will Smith is apparently on board, behind the scenes), but Jackie Chan might be more difficult, and screw Jackie Chan, because he's a Chinese Communist Party bootlicker.

The cartoon is implied to be not canon, since it has Mr. Miyagi, but not Pat Morita, and it's not a movie. And it would be difficult to make it canon.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait...... WTF is this, and why wasn't I aware of it?!
A 13 episode cartoon from 1989.

A miniature shrine with magic powers is taken from its resting place on Okinawa, and it is up to Miyagi and Daniel to recover it. Together with Okinawan girl Taki Tamurai, the karatekas search the globe and, naturally, encounter several opportunities to fight their way out of trouble.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
So I just binged the show and absolutely loved it! Honestly, don't know why I never gave it a watch on youtube.

Though it sucks that Netflix will be sitting on season 3 for over a year. Did they ever state why?

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I just binged the show and absolutely loved it! Honestly, don't know why I never gave it a watch on youtube.

Though it sucks that Netflix will be sitting on season 3 for over a year. Did they ever state why?

I presume that its simply a function of rationing out their IP - so many of their shows hit pause due to COVID and are just resuming production now 6 months later. So I would assume the first half of 2021 is a bit of a wasteland for them so they decided to hold S3 to have something to get them through some lean months.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I presume that its simply a function of rationing out their IP - so many of their shows hit pause due to COVID and are just resuming production now 6 months later. So I would assume the first half of 2021 is a bit of a wasteland for them so they decided to hold S3 to have something to get them through some lean months.

I just keep thinking about how much older all the kids will be when they start filming season 4.

Tankard

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Finished season 2 finally. Holy shit at that ending. Shit escalated quickly =(

I need season 3 today!!!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I recently finished S2 and I love all these characters. I feel bad that Aisha is not going to be back. She was one of my favorites.

Really looking forward to season 3.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I thought I had caught all the references, but nope. Now I'm even more impressed with the creators of this show.

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I genuinely thought that Cobra Kai was a fan made YouTube show, however since it came to Netflix I've watched season one and I've started season two.

It's pretty good, the Easter eggs and callbacks are done very well, the only things I don't like is that sometimes it feels like a teenage drama and that some of the plot points only start because the characters don't talk to each other.

I feel like sometimes Danny's wife Amanda is representing the show audience as she's often like 'why are you doing this?'.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even begin to describe how much I love this show. I started watching it with my sister and fiancé as a background show, but by the time S2 ended, I was obsessed. I think part of it is as someone who lost the parent lottery and has a lot of childhood/young adult trauma, I'm a huge sucker for redemption stories and for people finding themselves/trying to change/standing on their own. I am 100% invested in Johnny's story (and holy shit, I have a huge crush on Billy Zabka) which shocked me because he starts off as a real piece of shit who I'd absolutely hate if I met him IRL.

I've watched a lot of interviews the past couple of days and it's really heartwarming to see how much Billy Zabka and Ralph Macchio love what they're doing, and also how much the creators of the show (Josh, Jon and Hayden) completely understand what made Karate Kid so great while also updating it for a new audience.

I will say I wasn't quite as invested in S2 since the heart of the story, for me, is Johnny and Daniel, so I wasn't as into the teenage drama. But I also understand why they go there.

If anyone's curious, John Alvidsen put the entire Karate Kid rehearsal on YouTube back before he died. It's pretty funny to watch, and there's quite a few scenes with Johnny and Daniel that got cut from the final version.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I can't even begin to describe how much I love this show. I started watching it with my sister and fiancé as a background show, but by the time S2 ended, I was obsessed. I think part of it is as someone who lost the parent lottery and has a lot of childhood/young adult trauma, I'm a huge sucker for redemption stories and for people finding themselves/trying to change/standing on their own. I am 100% invested in Johnny's story (and holy shit, I have a huge crush on Billy Zabka) which shocked me because he starts off as a real piece of shit who I'd absolutely hate if I met him IRL.

I've watched a lot of interviews the past couple of days and it's really heartwarming to see how much Billy Zabka and Ralph Macchio love what they're doing, and also how much the creators of the show (Josh, Jon and Hayden) completely understand what made Karate Kid so great while also updating it for a new audience.

I will say I wasn't quite as invested in S2 since the heart of the story, for me, is Johnny and Daniel, so I wasn't as into the teenage drama. But I also understand why they go there.

If anyone's curious, John Alvidsen put the entire Karate Kid rehearsal on YouTube back before he died. It's pretty funny to watch, and there's quite a few scenes with Johnny and Daniel that got cut from the final version.

I've still got to watch this. My cohost on my Karate Kid Minute by Minute podcast keeps mentioning it.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Finished both seasons in a matter of days (started on Sunday). Really love what they're doing here, the cheesy stuff from the original movie's era is there and all the exaggerated coincidences and whatnot are there too, makes it part of the charm imo.
I only have to say that the last episode of S2 kind of disappointed me, I thought Kreese was finally gone for good, that Cobra Kai would finally enter its Chaotic Neutral phase, that Johnny would start his redemption arc and getting his shit together, that the handshake and great time he and Daniel had at the restaurant would mark a new beginning, but nope, all undone in a matter of minutes with the last episode. Can't say I'm a fan of the direction they took with it and that cliffhanger with Ali... yeah, no.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished both seasons in a matter of days (started on Sunday). Really love what they're doing here, the cheesy stuff from the original movie's era is there and all the exaggerated coincidences and whatnot are there too, makes it part of the charm imo.
I only have to say that the last episode of S2 kind of disappointed me, I thought Kreese was finally gone for good, that Cobra Kai would finally enter its Chaotic Neutral phase, that Johnny would start his redemption arc and getting his shit together, that the handshake and great time he and Daniel had at the restaurant would mark a new beginning, but nope, all undone in a matter of minutes with the last episode. Can't say I'm a fan of the direction they took with it and that cliffhanger with Ali... yeah, no.
I had a hard time with the finale too. During the finale my sister was yelling "I don't like this!!" at the screen as everything was unfolding. And I get it, the showrunners needed to up the stakes, and they feel like it's not time yet for Johnny to truly get his shit together. I just hope it'll pay off spectacularly in S3, because how many times can Johnny hit rock bottom?

What about the cliffhanger with Ali did you not like? The idea of her coming back?

I've still got to watch this. My cohost on my Karate Kid Minute by Minute podcast keeps mentioning it.
Oh, neat! I'll have to check out your podcast. 😃 It's pretty funny to watch. Ralph Macchio is such a natural. He just oozes charm, haha.

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden

I think (hope) that's there to set-up the story about Johnny and Daniel working together to stop Kreese in season three.