• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not there yet so I'll let you know what I think. There are just so many moments of my two biggest pet peeves of any fight. - Air punches and kicks, and merry go round opponents

The show is an intentionally cheesy sequel of an 80s movie and none of the main cast except Zabka and Martin Kove have any extensive martial arts training to my knowledge.

People expecting Daredevil or Into the Badlands choreography are watching the wrong show.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I like Robbie. He was a kid that went down a bad path initially and ended up being a sweet and good natured and respectful kid. It's not until the finale of S2 that he in a moment of rage
Severely injures Miguel

Whereas Miguel was a really sweet kid who got increasingly arrogant and mean spirited. It was sad to see.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Whereas Miguel was a really sweet kid who got increasingly arrogant and mean spirited. It was sad to see

You see that change over all the Cobra Kai students to some extent, precisely what Daniel was worried about.

Johnny only seems vaguely aware of the potential problem.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
He really seemed disconcerted after seeing how Cobra Kai won the tournament at the end of season 1. But then Kreese appeared and it muddled everything again.

And the full consequences of his ideology hit him hard by the end of S2.

The show is pretty clear that Johnny means well and wants to do the right thing but he has some outdated and ignorant views. His rivalry with Daniel is obviously at play too, as neither of them can let it go.

I mean you teach a bunch of high school kids to show "No mercy", what exactly do you think will happen?

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody ever seems to bat an eye at the copious amounts of underage drinking

Just like real life

In-universe the kids were drinking and smoking weed in The Karate Kid

Yeah, Johnny's drunk driving is like they only bad behaviour that no one calls him out on for some reason.

This is also just like real life (but it stood out to me too). I think the only mention was Daniel saying Johnny probably crashed his car because it smelled like whiskey

Last edited:

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I mean you teach a bunch of high school kids to show "No mercy", what exactly do you think will happen?

Oh yeah! That's for sure!

And I know I said it already, but while rewatching the show it still blows my mind that every returning characters are played by the same actors that were in the 30+ years old movies. Even the smaller roles like Daniel's mother. They really achieved an impossible thing with this show when you think about it.

NubCakes09

Oct 28, 2017
I started watching this with my wife this past week and we are on season 2 episode 2. What a fantastic show. It's the rare show that both my wife and I love.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Do I need to have watched KK to enjoy this?
I had never seen it and I enjoyed the show a lot. I went back and watched parts 1-3 afterwards and I have to say the first holds up really well.

I would be interested to see how more established fans view the sequels, because for me I found part 3 much better than 2 (but I do admire them wanting to do something bedders this with 2).

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I like Robbie. He was a kid that went down a bad path initially and ended up being a sweet and good natured and respectful kid. It's not until the finale of S2 that he in a moment of rage
Severely injures Miguel

Whereas Miguel was a really sweet kid who got increasingly arrogant and mean spirited. It was sad to see.

Team Miguel all day every day.
Robbie deserves an everlasting ass kicking with that hair cut at the championship

The show is an intentionally cheesy sequel of an 80s movie and none of the main cast except Zabka and Martin Kove have any extensive martial arts training to my knowledge.

People expecting Daredevil or Into the Badlands choreography are watching the wrong show.

I'm probably doing a bad job explaining but let me try again. I don't want masterful choreography. My issue isn't that they aren't expert ninjas. All I want is for them to sell a fight by not having an air gap of 1ft when someone throws a punch or kick. The original isn't master of choreography either but you are suitably convinced Larusso is getting his ass kicked

Last edited:

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Team Miguel all day every day.
Robbie deserves an everlasting ass kicking with that hair cut at the championship

I'm probably doing a bad job explaining but let me try again. I don't want masterful choreography. My issue isn't that they aren't expert ninjas. All I want is for them to sell a fight by not having an air gap of 1ft when someone throws a punch or kick. The original isn't master of choreography either but you are suitably convinced Larusso is getting his ass kicked

What did you think of the fight scenes at the tournament?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised no one mentioned it but it is easy to miss, there's actually a Destiny reference in Season 1.

"I think we'd rather spend our afternoons playing Crucible control than getting hit in the face"

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
?? Season 2 is pretty much all bout how he isn't getting more arrogant and mean spirited and him helping Johnny along the same path. Hawk is the one who never does anything redeemable (but in turn constantly gets his ass kicked)

I actually thought Miguel's mom making the same statement about his character was out of place because he was a nice kid in S2 and that is what did him in

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I was googling Terry Silver and came across this question being asked...

Is Terry Silver Miguel's dad?

I thought I had spoiled something, but I'm not sure there are any indications of that. Did I miss something.

Please use spoilers.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I was googling Terry Silver and came across this question being asked...

Is Terry Silver Miguel's dad?

I thought I had spoiled something, but I'm not sure there are any indications of that. Did I miss something.

Please use spoilers.

I think you're looking at the wrong person. I think Terry Silver is Tory's dad.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
?? Season 2 is pretty much all bout how he isn't getting more arrogant and mean spirited and him helping Johnny along the same path. Hawk is the one who never does anything redeemable (but in turn constantly gets his ass kicked)

I actually thought Miguel's mom making the same statement about his character was out of place because he was a nice kid in S2 and that is what did him in

Yeah, S2 is all about Miguel redeeming himself, with a big conflict where Robby and Samantha don't give him a chance/won't recognize it which is part of what makes the fall (and Miguel's mom's comments to Johnny in the S3 teaser) more potent.

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
The actor that plays stingray s pretty great in that movie richard jewell.. Clearly the guy is a jedi in every action show or movie he is in. If superman ever attacks earth in real life that guy is the first line of defense I want at my side.

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I'm close to the end of season one and I love the show.

I really like Johnny's arc, so far. It feels like an believable continuation from his character in the movies and William Zabka is great in the role.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I started watching this last night, I also watched The Karate Kid for the first time. It's not a good movie, the pacing and structure is really weird. It also might have the most unlikeable lead character of all time. Cobra Kai on the other hand is great, I'm part way through the first season and loving it.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So finally watched both seasons. Loved them both. I really liked how
just as Daniel and Johnny were learning to let themselves be humans to one another (thanks to the women who are far wiser than they lol) the consequences of their past mistakes were playing out through the kids affected by that conflict. Was a pretty powerful way to leave things till next season. Rough watching Miguel get done so dirty, tho.

Tory is great. I hope we get a deeper dive with her.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I started watching this last night, I also watched The Karate Kid for the first time. It's not a good movie, the pacing and structure is really weird. It also might have the most unlikeable lead character of all time. Cobra Kai on the other hand is great, I'm part way through the first season and loving it.
Most of not all movies earlier that late 90s are weird pacing by our current standards. Go what any other 80s movie and you find the same (just watched An American Werewolf in London today). Agree on the lead character by all standards although. That is one of the reasons Cobra Kai works.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017

It's funny, KK is very much a super watered down typical martial arts movie with a high school drama skin slapped on. Whereas Cobra Kai is the inverse and it works so so much better.