• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
My parents and my brother just discovered this on Netflix and were urging me to watch it. I was like I already watched on YouTube like 2 years ago.

Oct 28, 2017
California
Visited my brother for this time in a long while. Growing up he was a huge Karate Kid fan, but he never got around to watching Cobra Kai (being on YT premium didn't help).

Convinced him today to watch it and we binged season 1 all day today lol. He absolutely loved it.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Damn that fight at the end of season 2 was wild.

Shame Hawk got beat though, that was lame. These kids learn karate too fast, even Dimitri who was shown to be super slow. Hopefully Hawk stops being a jobber under Kreese.

Also is drink driving not a thing in America?? There's a few times I've been very surprised to see the characters driving after a party or bar.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
God is this what it looked like for adults who watched Karate Kid decades ago? I can't help but chuckle at how cheesy it is to see these teens fight with bad choreography. I love it.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Binged the entire show last weekend and it was great. Really excited for season 3.

I always loved the original Karate Kid when I was younger, and I really appreciate how this show keeps that tone, but also manages to infuse so much heart and pathos to the characters. It ties that line of 80's cheese I grew up with, and characters that are still fairly believable as humans, despite how over the top some situations are.

Really impressed with the show, and I'm glad it found a home where more people can watch it. One of my dearest friends had been raving about it for years, but I never got around to watching it on YouTube.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
This show is about as quotable as they original film.

Hashbrown Cobra Kai and

f91ecd8.jpg

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The whole end of season 2 fight was bonkers in all sorts of ways. It was like everyone had taken a bottle of zombie virus.

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just about to watch the final episode of Season 2... good god this is great. Hawk learning about his ex moving on was great to see.

So freaking good!!!!!

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I really liked S1 back when it launched on YouTube; it was a refreshing, honest take on the themes of the movies. It subverted expectations and it did so without cheating, or rewriting the characters; just by slightly shifting perspective and allowing us to see some of their depth.

Just watched S2 and it was still enjoyable, but felt like it wanted to be too many things and pander to different audiences with conflicting directions. An ironical rereading of the original movies on one level, while also trying to appeal to a teen audience with a similar and even more over the top approach.
I also found it disappointing they had to come up with a couple clear antagonists and irredeemable bad guys when S1 was so good at putting everyone in the grey area.

Zabka is awesome though and Lawrence character is great.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Stingray is pretty funny, his girlfriends reaction to arriving at that party was great, and his time to shine in the last episode was a funny moment. I like the humour of the show.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Karate Kid is by no means an example of great choreography but it's better than Cobra Kai

Yeah but it's kinda fitting here. It's just kids and some old guys who haven't been doing anything for 30 years :D Kreese can barely walk. Crappy moves fit them well and i wouldn't expect anyone to bust some perfect Donnie Yen choreography all of a sudden :D

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn that fight at the end of season 2 was wild.

Shame Hawk got beat though, that was lame. These kids learn karate too fast, even Dimitri who was shown to be super slow. Hopefully Hawk stops being a jobber under Kreese.
I hope he just becomes a bigger jobber as it goes on. Kid's an asshole, deserves all the beatings he gets.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
At the moment, Hawk seems to be the perfect 'bad' guy for next season with Miguel out

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
vg7bjv6e3r231.jpg
Saw there's a movie on Disney+ where Hawk and Tori switch bodies.

already finished filming and editing, releasing in 2021

I think by the time it comes out it will have been almost 2 years since filming, and as far as I know they haven't filmed anything for season 4.

Some of those kids probably aren't going to be able to pass for highschool anymore.

Last edited:

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
OMFG I just finished this today and Episode 10 is the GOAT.

BTW I've trained martial arts for uh, too long, and I can map most of these archetypes 1:1 onto people I've met. Swear to god I know a kid who looks identical to Hawk minus the hairdo.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Karate Kid is by no means an example of great choreography but it's better than Cobra Kai

Both never had good choreography and both have its share of cheese but I guess what I'm saying is Johnny and his gang portrayed bullying in a more threatening nature to me, Hawk on other hand just makes me laugh everytime I see him.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just started watching it. I was worried that they would take a way too kid friendly, PC approach to everything to keep heavily family oriented. But they do a really good job of towing the line in a way that doesn't feel overbearing but still respectful.

I'm pleasantly surprised. It's decent character writing.

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
I like how short episodes are.
Makes it easier to follow compared to normal series.

Season 1 was really good, but second one was forgettable.
The back and forth between Johnny and Daniel in S2 got tedious.
Also too much teen drama compared to S1.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Both never had good choreography and both have its share of cheese but I guess what I'm saying is Johnny and his gang portrayed bullying in a more threatening nature to me, Hawk on other hand just makes me laugh everytime I see him.

Oh yeah I definitely agree with that and its one of my criticisms of Cobra Kai. The fighting has much more consequences in Karate Kid than it does in Cobra Kai.

Yeah but it's kinda fitting here. It's just kids and some old guys who haven't been doing anything for 30 years :D Kreese can barely walk. Crappy moves fit them well and i wouldn't expect anyone to bust some perfect Donnie Yen choreography all of a sudden :D

I didn't want John Wick fights just fights that were more brutal.

Also I hate Robbie. I hate Robbie so so much. If he had
won the tournament
I would have drove down to Walmart and started karate kicking every purrell stand I could find till they dragged me to jail

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I finally caught on to this show, and was super impressed. Made it to about the start of season 2 and now I'm hooked.

It's been forever since I saw the original Karate Kid 1 and 2, so it kinda sucks Netflix removed them right when they added Cobra Kai and I missed them.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I really, really like Amanda.

"Come on, guys!
[To Sam] So your boyfriend turned out to be a jerk.
[To Daniel] And your boyfriend turned out to be the son of your mortal enemy..."