• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Me and my partner started watching this. We are on episode 5 season 1. Karate kid was my favourite movie growing up and this series, damn does it deliver! Love it!

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I'm confused, do you mean I don't need to watch the original or don't have to watch anything after the original?

You don't have to watch anything after the original. I watched Karate Kid 2 last night for the first time in decades and the only thing I remember being in Cobra Kai is from the first 10 minutes (and they include the clip in Cobra Kai). Johnny isn't even in Karate Kid 3 (though it's about Kreese)

You don't really even need to watch the original but you will miss some subtle jokes if you aren't at least familiar with the highlights. Everything else is given flashbacks

Oct 28, 2017
Good show i have it at a 7/10
deducted points for:
-Slow build of plot
-Building up the antagonist into a antihero but still making him come across like a fool
-Not enough footage, gimme more
Slow build? This series is the fastest I've seen in quite some time. It's part of why I like it, shit happens fast. That and the pure comedy of it. I hope they don't fuck with formula for season 3.

EagleBen

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see the show doing so well. I watched the first season on youtube and enjoyed it, but never got around to season 2 until it made it on netflix. Season 2, while not as crazy shocking and funny as season 1, was very enjoyable.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry I'm confused, do you mean I don't need to watch the original or don't have to watch anything after the original?

Ah sorry I misread your question.

You don't have to watch any of the movies to enjoy this series, but you SHOULD watch the original just because it's a good movie and a classic :)

kirby007

Banned
Aug 13, 2020
I dont see how having multiple face-offs without telling vital information is speeding up the plot.
If this series teaches one lesson : communication is key

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I just want to say thanks to this thread. It brought the show to my attention and I am now half way through S1 and loving it.
The humor is great and subtle, the story seems nice and subversive and I cannot wait to see where this goes.

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the season 3 thread will have a lot more replies this time. Good to see.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Had you not heard of it before this thread?
I had, but I've always kinda ignored it.... Didn't think it was for me without knowing anything about it beside it being related to Karate Kid.
Didn't help that YouTube is annoying af and no I don't want to sign up to YTTV, no matter how often you ask me.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I had, but I've always kinda ignored it.... Didn't think it was for me without knowing anything about it beside it being related to Karate Kid.
Didn't help that YouTube is annoying af and no I don't want to sign up to YTTV, no matter how often you ask me.

Ah. Yeah, I ended up watching the first couple episodes (they were free) and then I got YouTube premium specifically for this show. No regrets. Haha.

Truthfully though, now that I have YouTube premium there's no way I can go back to a YouTube with ads. I've gotten too used to not having them interrupt things.

Johnohno

Hero of Bowerstone
Nov 6, 2017
Binged both series last weekend when it came to Netflix, but now reading through this thread is making me want to watch them again already. Absolutely loved it!

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if Daniel is an asshole but he certainly is hot-headed and flies off the handle without giving people a chance to respond or explain. Very much the same as he was as a teenager in the original KK movie.

And what I'm about to say about Johnny isn't going to go over well on this forum, but Johnny has not evolved much past high school. He's still stuck in the 80s. It's only now, finding a purpose with Cobra Kai, has he started to grow as a person. The way he talks to people, especially to Poc, can certainly be perceived as racist, by today's standards. The 1980s people were not examining racism with the microscope that it is today. How Johnny talks is quite frankly, how a lot of people talked in the 1980s. I find that he's actually maybe even a little restrained. Subsequent decades after the 80s we've taken a much closer look at what racism is and how it affects the world around us.

I honestly think Daniel had the most racist scene in the series so far, judging by today's standards and it was the scene in season 1 where he made the Sushi for Kyler. And I know they tried to turn it into a comedy bit, but it was uncomfortable.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 6 episodes in and damn it is better than I thought it could be. I feel like I can tell where the story threads are going but it's a fun ride.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't know if Daniel is an asshole but he certainly is hot-headed and flies off the handle without giving people a chance to respond or explain. Very much the same as he was as a teenager in the original KK movie.

And what I'm about to say about Johnny isn't going to go over well on this forum, but Johnny has not evolved much past high school. He's still stuck in the 80s. It's only now, finding a purpose with Cobra Kai, has he started to grow as a person. The way he talks to people, especially to Poc, can certainly be perceived as racist, by today's standards. The 1980s people were not examining racism with the microscope that it is today. How Johnny talks is quite frankly, how a lot of people talked in the 1980s. I find that he's actually maybe even a little restrained. Subsequent decades after the 80s we've taken a much closer look at what racism is and how it affects the world around us.

I honestly think Daniel had the most racist scene in the series so far, judging by today's standards and it was the scene in season 1 where he made the Sushi for Kyler. And I know they tried to turn it into a comedy bit, but it was uncomfortable.

Agreed. Johnny is stuck in the 80's and his mindset is very much of a typical Alpha male from that era. That's why it's so great to see him learn from his students and change.

And you're right, I don't know how Daniel didn't realize that he shouldn't assume Kyler's parents are immigrants. It's just another thing to show that he's not perfect either.

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Watched first season, that was a fun ride for sure. Loved the wavy structure of the episodes, where everything going better to the middle of the episode only for all shit to hit the fan at the end. Wife hated it though, called it "annoyingly disturbing", but I found it amuzing. :)

I hope sofa in the living room is not too hard. :/

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
My partner and I have been watching this for the first time, still in S1. I'm in agreement with most that it's enjoyable that both Daniel and Johnny and very flawed and the show isn't really painting either one as a definitive protagonist or antagonist.

However, one thing really annoyed me, and that was the whole billboard graffiti plotline in S1. The thing that bothered me was how it was a really, really blatant homophobic "joke" for a whole episode with even the Daniel and his friends playing into the homophobia angle. At least when he or Johnny have been displaying pretty horrible behavior there is another character there being the foil to show their behavior is bad. Like Miguel setting Johnny straight on misogyny or Sam or Amanda pushing back against Daniel.

However, so far as I can recall, there was literally no one in the show pointing out how the insult and even Daniel and his coworkers' reactions to the grafitti was homophobic in and of itself. It was all just played totally (no pun intended) "straight," and that it should be totally natural that a gay BJ insult is something you should be horribly offended by. It was all just related to how it insulted Daniel.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My partner and I have been watching this for the first time, still in S1. I'm in agreement with most that it's enjoyable that both Daniel and Johnny and very flawed and the show isn't really painting either one as a definitive protagonist or antagonist.

However, one thing really annoyed me, and that was the whole billboard graffiti plotline in S1. The thing that bothered me was how it was a really, really blatant homophobic "joke" for a whole episode with even the Daniel and his friends playing into the homophobia angle. At least when he or Johnny have been displaying pretty horrible behavior there is another character there being the foil to show their behavior is bad. Like Miguel setting Johnny straight on misogyny or Sam or Amanda pushing back against Daniel.

However, so far as I can recall, there was literally no one in the show pointing out how the insult and even Daniel and his coworkers' reactions to the grafitti was homophobic in and of itself. It was all just played totally (no pun intended) "straight," and that it should be totally natural that a gay BJ insult is something you should be horribly offended by. It was all just related to how it insulted Daniel.

I mean, I'd be pissed off someone drew a dick in my mouth, whether I was gay or not. Defacing a guy's billboard isn't cool. And I'm pretty sure Johnny did that before his edges started being softened by Miguel.

But again, they are all children of the 80's and still very much in that mindset. Like, I just watched the first 2 Bill and Ted movies and it was really shocking to me hearing them call eachother or others "fag" as an insult. You're supposed to love those guys and how easy going and happy they are, but the homophobia hits you in the face when you watch those movies today.

I guess maybe they could have wrote Daniel's daughter into a scene to provide the counterpoint you wanted though.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm not sure that drawings of dicks are inherently homophobic. It's a penis, near someone's face. Dicks get drawn near women's faces too, and in fact Daniel's daughter is subjected to the same kind of juvenile bullying. I actually thought that was the parallel they were drawing.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Karate Kid had never really been about the fight scenes though.

Who did you have an issue with acting?

I agree but when they did fight it at least was convincing. The choreography in this is just bad. Larusso comes off like he is over acting every scene he is in. That one dojo reminence scene with him and his daughter was so cheesy and that's the way a lot of this feels put together almost like its written as a sitcom. I'm surprised there isn't a laugh track

I love Johnny though

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I agree but when they did fight it at least was convincing. The choreography in this is just bad. Larusso comes off like he is over acting every scene he is in. That one dojo reminence scene with him and his daughter was so cheesy and that's the way a lot of this feels put together almost like its written as a sitcom. I'm surprised there isn't a laugh track

I have never, and I mean never been a fan of Ralph Macchio's Karate "skills". He's one of the most unnatural looking martial artists I've ever seen. It's my major complaint with the first three movies. As for his acting, I think he was fine in the old movies but agree he's not so great nowadays.

Zabka however, I think pulled it off nicely. Both acting and fighting.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I have never, and I mean never been a fan of Ralph Macchio's Karate "skills". He's one of the most unnatural looking martial artists I've ever seen. It's my major complaint with the first three movies. As for his acting, I think he was fine in the old movies but agree he's not so great nowadays.

Zabka however, I think pulled it off nicely. Both acting and fighting.

Haha yeah good point. Daniel isn't the reason Karate Kid is a classic for me either. It was all Johnny, Miyagi and put him in a body bag dude

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017

I love Johnny though
it really hit that stride for me on episodes 5 and 6 I think, I felt almost similarly like this was just slightly too cheesy but it really comes together. I find it now to be the perfect blend of camp and drama.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it really hit that stride for me on episodes 5 and 6 I think, I felt almost similarly like this was just slightly too cheesy but it really comes together. I find it now to be the perfect blend of camp and drama.

Yep I was about to bail on it after ep 3, but I'm glad I kept going.

And yeah this show absolutely is a sitcom. That's fine.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The motorcycle ride episode in season two was... just *chefs kiss* so good.

brotherbean

Oct 26, 2017
Been digging out some Peter Cetera the last couple of days in response to finishing season 2. I have to admit I really didn't expect what I perceived to be an 80's throwback teen soap opera to get me the way this did but I've been obsessed with it for a little bit now. I loved Johnny's growth as a character and found myself consistently rooting for him in spite of himself. Daniel was also great as a generally well-meaning, but imperfect person. The whole thing was just great.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Johnny is the star of the show. It's funny as I'm such a huge fan of the original film I could never have imagined I'd want a follow up where I root for Johnny and want him to get back together with Ali but here we are. I hope he picks up some awards, he's hilarious but also shows real depth and character development.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Good to see more people watching this now that it's on Netflix. Really fun show. Looking forward to season 3.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now the show getting Netflix money I wonder if Hilary Swank's character Julie will make an appearance.

Oct 27, 2017
Yea it's like they basically watched this video and said "Yo, can we make a show out of this"

We watched S1E7 last night (the one where he sits down on the kerb and explains to Miguel why he hates LaRusso) and I turned to my wife and said the same thing as this. I genuinely wonder if that's where they got the idea. Nonetheless, I think John is a far more interesting character and I'm glad the show focuses on him. Really enjoying it so far, and I'm glad Netflix picked it up.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Holy hell, I was sick at home this week and binged the whole thing - How is this so good and how the hell am I supposed to wait until 2021 for season 3??

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Been plowing through this show over the last few days. Love it though I think it's on the back of Johnny and the Cobra Kai students.

I don't know if I'm alone but in season 2 Sam became my least favorite character lol. I swear almost all her problems are self inflicted.