• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This shit gives me anxiety every day. Unreal that the future of the country could lie with one Supreme Court judge.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
It's right to be concerned about voter suppression efforts by the GOP, OTOH, CNN is in the business of getting more ratings by playing up that the election is a "horse race" despite the fact that Biden has had a stable 10 point lead over Trump for quite some time.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
It's right to be concerned about voter suppression efforts by the GOP, OTOH, CNN is in the business of getting more ratings by playing up that the election is a "horse race" despite the fact that Biden has had a stable 10 point lead over Trump for quite some time.

Because the polls don't mean shit when it comes to actual election night. The more polls are higher for Biden, the more people are likely to be complacent and not vote. I don't blame them for playing up the horse race.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
It's going to be a rough late October and a hell of a November. Just wake me up when it's over.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Because the polls don't mean shit when it comes to actual election night. The more polls are higher for Biden, the more people are likely to be complacent and not vote.

Sorry, but that's straight bullshit and just fear mongering. Too many people are traumatized by 2016 and think the same thing will happens in 2020, when Biden is in a much more secure footing than Clinton.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Because the polls don't mean shit when it comes to actual election night. The more polls are higher for Biden, the more people are likely to be complacent and not vote. I don't blame them for playing up the horse race.
Similarly the more Trump says the election will be stolen the less likely Trump people will vote.

That and I don't believe there has been any proof that higher polling leads to less turnout. If anything it energizes people to vote. But I guess people will see things how they want or fear things will happen.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Unless biden wins in a landslide on election night things are gonna get really ugly

May 26, 2018
It's going to be a pretty scary night unless it's a total blowout. And there's going to be so much bullshittery that it seems unlikely to be. Biden might win but I don't think people will feel confident about it on the night.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Sorry, but that's straight bullshit and just fear mongering. Too many people are traumatized by 2016 and think the same thing will happens in 2020, when Biden is in a much more secure footing than Clinton.

But that is what happened in 2016, and we should be fearful of it happening again. Polls and everyone was saying Clinton had it locked, there was no chance of Trump winning, and look what happened. We had historic low voter turn out by democrats compared to the past two elections also.

You can't take risks like this, and if fear is needed to get folks to get off their asses, then by all means

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I like CNN sometimes because their headlines tend to take a massive shit in Trump's mouth, but they are a bit sensationalist compared to some other news sources. If there was a lefty version of Fox News, CNN is probably closest to it.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Not hard to see why Trump constantly downplays the virus. Anything to get his idiots to vote in person. This story is pure fear mongering though.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
But that is what happened in 2016, and we should be fearful of it happening again. Polls and everyone was saying Clinton had it locked, there was no chance of Trump winning, and look what happened.

You can't take risks like this, and if fear is needed to get folks to get off their asses, then by all means
Again, your second post is as wrong as your first post

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The seeds of mistrust are being planted every day of an illegitimate election. You can see what is going to happen a mile away.

SodaGrump

Aug 2, 2020
My stomach twisted just reading the title of this thread. Its going to be a rocky road until a winner is officially announced, and an even rockier one if Trump doesn't like the results.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah with all the mail in and other nonsense, I get the feeling the final count won't be ready until a few days after november.

2000 all over again.

Unless one of them clinches handily. I feel to give everyone peace of mind, it might be helpful to just say there will be an independent investigation after the election no matter the result.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's not just the ratings. CNN and other big corporate media doesn't want Joe Biden to go into office with an electoral mandate and Democratic control over both the House and the Senate, because then, even though he's got a long record of being a centrist, he might pass some progressive legislation given the political capital to do so. There's already the stupid-ass "beware deficit spending in 2021" narrative being raised. It's so obvious.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
But that is what happened in 2016, and we should be fearful of it happening again. Polls and everyone was saying Clinton had it locked, there was no chance of Trump winning, and look what happened.

Clinton never had a 10 point lead over Trump (she's always had slim single digit leads) and Clinton NEVER reached over 50% support unlike Biden. That is a fact. Again Trump fucking with the USPS is concerning, but I believe the stable lead he's accumulated will result in victory.

Oct 27, 2017
As noted, while we do need to be vigilant, that video was made specifically for people to freak out and share, just like this.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In order to feel complacent, you need to be in a good position overall to feel complacent, and frankly the only thing we have is polls. There's no Democratic president in office and we're playing on an Away field in general. Complacency isn't an issue here, especially when you have open voter suppression in the news. Being complacent isn't a reason why we will lose this year, even if the media spins it that way.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
why do the Mail-In ballouts arrive soo late?

They can, but for the most part it's not that they arrive late and more that they're not allowed to be counted until polls close on election night, and so it just takes time to hand count and verify them all. And obviously volume is expected to be historically high.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017

No, it isn't "fear mongering." Get that fucking shit out of here. I don't blame people for being traumatized by 2016. The polls in that election year showed Clinton up and everyone felt comfortable that a total fucking idiot in Trump wouldn't win against Clinton and then look at what happened. The same thing could just as easily happen this year and to believe that it's gonna be fine because of Biden having a 10 point lead is pretty naive. What matters is that people go out and vote and not look at the polls. If it takes CNN saying that it's a horse race, then good. Maybe that will motivate and encourage people to vote. And you know what, fuck it. If it takes a little bit of fear of another four fucking years of Trump destroying your fucking country, then so be it. But this isn't about fear, it's about common fucking sense.

Similarly the more Trump says the election will be stolen the less likely Trump people will vote.

That and I don't believe there has been any proof that higher polling leads to less turnout. If anything it energizes people to vote. But I guess people will see things how they want or fear things will happen.

Considering how borderline militant the right has become in defense of Trump, they're probably more likely to go vote. I don't understand how him saying the election will be stolen will mean less people voting for Trump. That doesn't make any sense. The right came out in droves to support him in 2016 and they'll just double down this year.

I personally think Biden will win this, but to brush off CNN and their description of the election as a horse race as bullshit because Biden has a 10 point lead is basically the exact thing I'm talking about. Don't brush it off and use it as motivation to get people to go vote. I can say the same thing about there no being any proof that higher polling leads to more people voting and like you said, you'll just see things how you want. I don't think it energizes to people to vote when the person you're likely to vote for has such a high lead. Obviously I don't have proof either, but I've seen things anecdotally in Canada all the time where I live during elections. High polling numbers for a local candidate, people (who I knew personally) then don't vote because he's gonna win, then he lost... now obviously I'm not claiming that is the usual or everyone does that of course, but it does happen and I think more than we realize. Polling gives a good indication of voter intention, but until that turns into an actual vote on election night, it means nothing.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I like CNN sometimes because their headlines tend to take a massive shit in Trump's mouth, but they are a bit sensationalist compared to some other news sources. If there was a lefty version of Fox News, CNN is probably closest to it.

Is this a joke? CNN is incredibly centrist, I would even say it leans conservative in a lot of ways. There's nothing lefty about CNN at all.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
EVERYONE should DEFINITELY spend EVERY WAKING MOMENT of the next 60-ish days PANICKING ABOUT EVERYTHING that COULD HAPPEN. It's the ONLY WAY TO FUNCTION.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i was just thinking the same thing in that other thread about Trump wanting to be president for 8 years. I mean, to be sure, i'm not panicking over this - but people have to be aware that this is a plausible scenario.

OP
OP
shinobi602

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Not hard to see why Trump constantly downplays the virus. Anything to get his idiots to vote in person. This story is pure fear mongering though.
I don't see how it's "fear mongering", that just sounds like a convenient way to dismiss a very plausible scenario. Trump consistently tries to sow doubt in the confidence of our elections every single day.

I have no doubt he's going to pull some fuckery when it counts start showing him losing and telling his supporters to take to the streets and shit. Come on.

Your anxiety is good for CNN's business, which is why the publish things like this.
The scenario is extremely plausible. Unless you think election night will go down without a hitch and Trump will go quietly into the night.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
my take: this isn't a horse race so news media needs to push this as the next-best thing so people will at least tune in like crazy on election night.

Table 16: When Absentee/Mail Ballot Processing and Counting Can Begin

Processing absentee ballots can begin before they are actually counted. This table shows when each state's can begin processing and counting absentee/mail ballots.

arizona: tallies mail-in ballots 14 days before election day
colorado: vote counting begins 15 days before election day
florida: vote counting begins 22 days before election day
iowa: election commissioner decides on a time on election day to ensure mail-in ballots are counted by 10pm
michigan: verification of mail-in ballots begins on election day. counting begins on election day, before polls close at the jurisdiction's discretion
georgia: signature verified upon receipt, mail-in votes count only on election day
minnesota: verification upon receipt. after the close of business on the seventh day before the election, verified ballots can be opened and deposited in a ballot box. ballots counted after the polls close on election day
nevada: verified on receipt. ballots counted on election day.
north carolina: ballots verified the fifth tuesday before election day. ballots are counted two weeks before election day.
ohio: processing and counting of ballots can begin before election day.
pennsylvania: ballots verified and counted at 7am on election day.
texas: siganture of ballots verified on receipt. ballots counted when polls open on election day. in jurisdictions with 100,000 people or more, counting can begin at the end of the early voting by personal appearance period.
wisconsin: ballots verified after polls open on election day. counting begins after the polls open on election day.

out of all of these states, only minnesota starts counting when the polls close on election day.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Because of how votes are counted, we will probably have a Florida call on election night, unless it's an absolutely tiny margin of victory either way.

If Florida is called for Biden on Election Night, he will almost certainly win the election.

If Florida is called for Trump on Election Night or if Florida is too close to call, it will be a shitshow, probably for weeks.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I don't see how it's "fear mongering", that just sounds like a convenient way to dismiss a very plausible scenario. Trump consistently tries to sow doubt in the confidence of our elections every single day.

I have no doubt he's going to pull some fuckery when it counts start showing him losing and telling his supporters to take to the streets and shit. Come on.

The scenario is extremely plausible. Unless you think election night will go down without a hitch and Trump will go quietly into the night.
Because states aren't going to declare winners. Trump can say whatever the hell he wants, but no one is going to enforce it.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
No, it isn't "fear mongering." Get that fucking shit out of here. I don't blame people for being traumatized by 2016. The polls in that election year showed Clinton up and everyone felt comfortable that a total fucking idiot in Trump wouldn't win against Clinton and then look at what happened. The same thing could just as easily happen this year and to believe that it's gonna be fine because of Biden having a 10 point lead is pretty naive. What matters is that people go out and vote and not look at the polls. If it takes CNN saying that it's a horse race, then good. Maybe that will motivate and encourage people to vote. And you know what, fuck it. If it takes a little bit of fear of another four fucking years of Trump destroying your fucking country, then so be it. But this isn't about fear, it's about common fucking sense.

Considering how borderline militant the right has become in defense of Trump, they're probably more likely to go vote. I don't understand how him saying the election will be stolen will mean less people voting for Trump. That doesn't make any sense. The right came out in droves to support him in 2016 and they'll just double down this year.

I personally think Biden will win this, but to brush off CNN and their description of the election as a horse race as bullshit because Biden has a 10 point lead is basically the exact thing I'm talking about. Don't brush it off and use it as motivation to get people to go vote. I can say the same thing about there no being any proof that higher polling leads to more people voting and like you said, you'll just see things how you want. I don't think it energizes to people to vote when the person you're likely to vote for has such a high lead. Obviously I don't have proof either, but I've seen thing anecdotally in Canada all the time. High polling numbers for a local candidate, people (who I knew personally) then don't vote because he's gonna win, then he lost... polling gives a good indication of voter intention, but until that turns into an actual vote on election night, it means nothing.
So what you're saying is we can't draw any conclusions about what polling does. And I agree.

But you ever feel like people just want to freakout about polls regardless! Let me ask you a question. If polling showed Biden up 20 what would you be saying? How about up 5? How about even? How about down 5? I have a feeling your tone wouldn't change much basically no matter how well or bad polling shows Biden doing it's going to be a negative for you.

Besides you are preaching to the choir here. Nobody in this thread and probably nobody on these boards isn't voting because Biden is polling plus 7 nationally lol

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Can you all just imagine the trump tweets coming on Election Day????

sheesh ... I have a headache just thinking about it.

OP
OP
shinobi602

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Because states aren't going to declare winners. Trump can say whatever the hell he wants, but no one is going to enforce it.
Have you seen the kind of shit he's pulled these past 4 years? He practically owns the DOJ. He's ripping apart the post office. States can count everything and declare the real winner but he's in his own reality. That shit doesn't matter to him, he'll just call it rigged.

And once that happens, you know he'll tell his cretins to take to the streets. It's so obvious you can see it a mile away.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
my take: this isn't a horse race so news media needs to push this as the next-best thing so people will at least tune in like crazy on election night.

out of all of these states, only minnesota starts counting when the polls close on election day.

This is mostly a reassuring post, but I think that a large part part of the concern is with states like PA or MI, which won't start counting until election day, are critical to the outcome, and don't have a history of this scale of mail-in voting.

California, for example, allows counting to begin the day before election day but often doesn't have final results for weeks (because they allow votes postmarked by election day to be counted even if they aren't in by election day). A similar situation could occur here.

We know that most mail-in ballots requested so far are overwhelmingly not Republican voters. If mail-in votes take longer to tabulate and day-of vote tallies are released, it creates an opportunity for Trump to declare victory early and then claim fraud once more votes are counted.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Have you seen the kind of shit he's pulled these past 4 years? He practically owns the DOJ. He's ripping apart the post office. States can count everything and declare the real winner but he's in his own reality. That shit doesn't matter to him, he'll just call it rigged.

And once that happens, you know he'll tell his cretins to take to the streets. It's so obvious you can see it a mile away.
DOJ can't do shit. The states will count votes and then name the winner of their electoral votes. Just like always, even if it takes a few days or even weeks. Trump can bluster all he wants, but he is powerless to do anything about it. The military leaders have already said they won't get involved.