• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A video showed officers in Buffalo, New York, pushing a 75-year-old man. Police initially said he had tripped and fell.

News cameras showed officers in Atlanta breaking the windows of a vehicle, pulling a woman out of the car and tasing a man. In his report, an officer wrote he wasn't sure the pair was armed. They were college students returning from a late-night food run.

And surveillance footage from a Minneapolis restaurant near where George Floyd was killed appeared to contradict police claims that he resisted arrest.
Police officers are authority figures, and their words have historically held more weight than the average citizen. But videos from several recent incidents, and countless others from over the years, have shown what many black Americans have long maintained: that police officers lie.

Here's why experts say some police officers falsify reports and statements, and why the problem persists.

More at: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/06/us/police-reports-lying-videos-misconduct-trnd/

Good article to show to your racist aunties and people in denial IMO

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
The word of police officers shouldn't be admissible as evidence in a court of law

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
CNN will have a story on this now then later on Anderson and Cuomo will shill for the nypd. They do it every single night.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Police should be held at a higher degree of scrutiny and a more stringent application of the law than the average citizen, because their actions have disproportionate effects. Until we have that, we're not really "fixing the police" problem.

Same should apply to politicians, as well.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I really don't understand the mindset of Americans who believe that putting on a uniform transforms you into some kind of higher being incapable of fault.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it me or is this only being brought up because of the old guy who was pushed down was white and obviously without a doubt not in any way shape or form an agitator(unless you're a fragile cop or the mayor of said fragile cops)?

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Does CNN admit they and like literally every mainstream press org helps them lie?
I was just thinking about that. When you see news outlets pull the "no angel" type scrubbing for assassinating the character of victims of police brutality, they're outright helping reinforce the institution's efforts to lie or change the narrative for the sake of protecting officers and dodging accountability. I guess I'm glad a major outlet is putting this forward but it's an effort that's just so soured by the fact that black and brown peoples, women, LGBTQ+ people and all the intersections of such marginalized groups have been saying this for centuries in this country and have been historically ignored or ridiculed/demonized for daring to question "brave & righteous" law enforcement.

Police should be held at a higher degree of scrutiny and a more stringent application of the law than the average citizen, because their actions have disproportionate effects. Until we have that, we're not really "fixing the police" problem.

Yep. It's astounding how much it's been normalized that despite being given so much access and power, as a society and culture we don't demand police have responsibilities and consequences to match. Like with doctors we wouldn't stand for one that didn't take their job seriously or was flippant and abusive towards their patients while racking up a death count of botched diagnoses or surgeries. Yet society doesn't expect the same standard from officers & even within or amongst themselves.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
CNN doing this is not pointless. They have viewers and their viewers need to see it. The problem is (and continues to be) that CNN isn't showing enough of this shit. There are so many videos online of police brutality and I haven't seen many (if any) actually being shown on their network. There needs to be more. They have no problem showing videos / commenting of police being "abused".

Its ok to be skeptical of CNN but outright calling out steps like this as completely futile is counterproductive.

If this is the only blip in terms of their actions though? Continue to bring outright condemnation on CNN.

CNN will have a story on this now then later on Anderson and Cuomo will shill for the nypd. They do it every single night.

Alternatively if they do shit like this.

At the end of the day though, I'd rather they show something than nothing at all.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
does this mean reporters will finally stop citing them as news sources to their own brutality
I'd hope so. Too often mainstream news never pushes when police keep saying that they've investigated themselves and found no fault. Departments should be hammered when they try to pull that shit yet it always taken as gospel and barely even commented on how unacceptable that is.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Is it me or is this only being brought up because of the old guy who was pushed down was white and obviously without a doubt not in any way shape or form an agitator(unless you're a fragile cop or the mayor of said fragile cops)?
That's a huge part of it. Dude's white and old. The police messed up when they hurt him.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CNN is right of course.

But it is ironic (palpatine.gif) coming from a corporate news organization like CNN that lies and shills constantly.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't understand the mindset of Americans who believe that putting on a uniform transforms you into some kind of higher being incapable of fault.
LEGO_PoliceBrickBox.jpg

I'm not calling out the Lego company, as they've just made an admirable call and pulled their Lego City Police sets from store shelves, I just wanted to use this image to convey something I believe to be true. We are taught as children that policemen and women are heroes, whom we should fully trust in, admire and look up to. At a very young age we are taught to not question authority, and to obey commands from those with authority over us, for both our safety and theirs. I really think this country has a tremendously toxic culture of brainwashing people into sucking the cocks of both law enforcement and military. I'll never not be amazed that it's considered that there's no higher honor than serving this country in the military, yet the people who spend their lives educating us and our children get shit on constantly and recieve little to no recognition.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Maybe for the next decades do not equip policemen like commandos and do no thell them that they are in war.

Police are a service for the people.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Ooooh, they used the big L-word and everything. That's pretty big ngl.

It's fucked that the police is not only not held to higher scrutiny but is in many ways held to lower scrutiny because Americans are trained to see cops as these bastions of justice.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of people in prison are there because a cop lied.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
The word of police officers shouldn't be admissible as evidence in a court of law

When I was in a jury, the judge instructed us that the testimony of a police officer carries no more weight than that of another person, and that we basically have to decide if they are lying ourselves.

2 cops were supposed to testify.

The first one gave us a clearly BS story about how he had noticed something there is no way someone would have noticed.

The second cop was prevented from testifying by the defense. I don't know why. The judge made us leave while they discussed it.

A black man was accused of dragging (by the hair according to the police, by the hand according to a witness) and temporary kidnapping (of his girlfriend) by locking her up in her apartment. Multiple felony charges were brought up by the prosecution. I voted to convict only for misdemeanor battery. Two black women on the jury refused to convict on any count and the guy walked.

The girlfriend had called the cops on him, then refused to press charges when she made up with him. but the state picked up the charges and treated her as a hostile witness, basically. I know the guy manhandled her for sure, but apparently he was also a decent father to her son (by some other man).

So, as you can see, there is nothing special about a cop's word as far as a jury is legally concerned. No clue what that man did with his freedom after that but he was really bawling when the not guilty verdict came out.

Oct 26, 2017
LEGO_PoliceBrickBox.jpg

I'm not calling out the Lego company, as they've just made an admirable call and pulled their Lego City Police sets from store shelves, I just wanted to use this image to convey something I believe to be true. We are taught as children that policemen and women are heroes, whom we should fully trust in, admire and look up to. At a very young age we are taught to not question authority, and to obey commands from those with authority over us, for both our safety and theirs. I really think this country has a tremendously toxic culture of brainwashing people into sucking the cocks of both law enforcement and military. I'll never not be amazed that it's considered that there's no higher honor than serving this country in the military, yet the people who spend their lives educating us and our children get shit on constantly and recieve little to no recognition.
I've always found it fascinating that certain parts of US culture seem to involve both screaming about your freedom even to the point of flying in face of common sense, yet simultaneously having a massive hard-on for authority figures and following the rules.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

the fetishization America has with regards to this towards police and the military is infuriating. Like going through police academy or enlisting makes you automatically deserving of respect, and makes the barrier prove that there are, in fact, a large number of shitty human brings in both branches incredibly high.

a lot of cops are probably just cops because it's the one profession they could get with their skill set that would give them a salary/pension/benefits.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
C'mon you know there are people that are gonna watch the video and actually say he tripped and fell. Even if they acknowledge he was pushed they'll say police were just doing their job and why was he there in the first place ....blah blah blah. I mean I'm hopeful some of the recent events can help turn people around but there's always been more than enough evidence available.

OG YOLOwen

Banned
Mar 24, 2019
I've always found it fascinating that certain parts of US culture seem to involve both screaming about your freedom even to the point of flying in face of common sense, yet simultaneously having a massive hard-on for authority figures and following the rules.
This sentiment speaks so beautifully to the truth of the GOP: It doesn't stand for anything just. It stands for racism, hatred, prejudice, subjugation, and rot.

Oct 26, 2017

Decades and decades (and probably a lot longer) of propaganda that puts people like soldiers and police on a pedestal. When one dies, every single one is treated like a national tragedy. They have days dedicated to them in sports games. Anyone who says even a single critical word is shouted down as ungrateful and/or unpatriotic.

Their word is taken as gospel, even in cases involving their peers.

Just like there's a looooong history of oppressing minorities, there's a parallel one deifying the ones oppressing them.

And, not that you were implying the contrary, but it's not just an American problem. Pretty much all societies have similar histories, to differing degrees.

Oct 26, 2017
This sentiment speaks so beautifully to the truth of the GOP: It doesn't stand for anything just. It stands for racism, hatred, prejudice, subjugation, and rot.
I've found it gets easier to understand them and those who vote for them when you realize they don't target political beliefs, they target personality types then tell these people what their political beliefs are.
Decades and decades (and probably a lot longer) of propaganda that puts people like soldiers and police on a pedestal. When one dies, every single one is treated like a national tragedy. They have days dedicated to them in sports games. Anyone who says even a single critical word is shouted down as ungrateful and/or unpatriotic.

Their word is taken as gospel, even in cases involving their peers.

Just like there's a looooong history of oppressing minorities, there's a parallel one deifying the ones oppressing them.

And, not that you were implying the contrary, but it's not just an American problem. Pretty much all societies have similar histories, to differing degrees.
It's actually fairly recent, post 9/11 in particular that this over the top idolization has really taken off. During and after Vietnam, huge parts of the country despised the military. Which is particularly tragic when you consider so many of these young men were drafted.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CNN for decade has uncritically parroted what cops say in statements. They should be blasting themselves too.

Oct 26, 2017
I've found it gets easier to understand them and those who vote for them when you realize they don't target political beliefs, they target personality types then tell these people what their political beliefs are.

It's actually fairly recent, post 9/11 in particular that this over the top idolization has really taken off. During and after Vietnam, huge parts of the country despised the military. Which is particularly tragic when you consider so many of these young men were drafted.

A fair point. It ebbs and flows. But believe me, there were plenty of military supporters during the Vietnam War who claimed anti-war protesters were "hippy burnouts" and "communist sympathizers."

Same for the police. Hell, I honestly don't think like 50% of people understand that franchises like Judge Dredd and Robocop are dystopias created to criticize the police...

Side note: I know this may get harsh feedback, but I disagree that getting rid of police would solve all the problems. In fact, I suspect it may make it significantly worse. AFAIK, most suggestions for replacing them in the actual necessary functions they have equates to a Libertarian model that I honestly think is "wishful thinking" at its worst.

Yes, the system right now is broken and needs massive overhauling. There needs to be very consistent, strict, and independent oversight. Police should be held to a higher standard than citizens, not less. And their punishments should be even greater.

I do mean it when I say I want a massive reform of the entire system; and yes, that means pretty much a full clearing out of the current one. But at least a system run by the government is theoretically accountable to the people. One run for profit though? Nah, that can only make things worse. See: the prison system.

And one where each one is run by the good intentions on locals is susceptible to corruption and prejudice in the exact same way as the current one is.

Again, we need *more* oversight of these people, not less by giving up the extremely little power we have over them. I want to clamp down fucking hard; I do not want the same communities cheering on police brutality to be running them instead -- with zero account instead of the minimal veneer we currently have.

Whew. /rant

This may cause a lot of responses. Know I'll read them for sure as I'm open to having my mind changed. I just may not respond right away. And I hope I've made it crystal clear that I'm in no way "stanning" for police or "protecting the system." I just don't think going the libertarian route would improve things for minorities, which I feel is a shared goal.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It's certainly part of it but to be fair there has already been footage of cops pushing down an old man in a cane who was just walking down the street, macing a young white girl, shooting a white girl getting groceries in the head with a rubber bullet and causing massive bleeding, killing a white female protestor with pepper spray cause of her asthma...
...point is I don't think it's simply cause he's white, or even just that he's old, it's a mix of all these things along with the dramatic escalation, and very obvious bleeding from his ears - where you have to wonder if he's dead - and the callousness of walking away from him. It's a very short hard to defend clip ending in the worst possible way and then they have very openly lied about it.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not calling out the Lego company, as they've just made an admirable call and pulled their Lego City Police sets from store shelves

Just to clarify, the White House and police sets were pulled from LEGO storefronts so as not to make them an undue target of rioters. Anyone else that sell these sets can do whatever they want, which means they are most definitely still on shelves of all the other stores not owned by LEGO.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

It's a symptom of the fetishization of "American Values" from the 50s that is still pervasive to this day. The complete reverence to the police and the military to such an unhealthy degree.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
*Black people complaining about police brutality since the beginning of time backed up by the recent murder of George Floyd*
Mainstream media dodging rubber bullets shot by cops: But..but...police don't lie. That's absurd!
*One 75-year-old white dude in Buffalo gets assaulted by police on camera*
Mainstream media: Breaking news! The police are lying!

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of people in prison are there because a cop lied.

In my city, there was a major scandal involving an entire police task force lying and putting people in jail:

www.vox.com

8 cops allegedly used an elite Baltimore police team to plunder the city and its residents

Six of the cops pleaded guilty to federal charges, and two others were just convicted.

This has led to a huge fallout in the criminal justice system: The nearly 3,000 cases that the eight indicted officers were involved in have now been called into question, potentially allowing people previously convicted of crimes to be let free because the evidence is no longer reliable.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
*Black people complaining about police brutality since the beginning of time backed up by the recent murder of George Floyd*
Mainstream media dodging rubber bullets shot by cops: But..but...police don't lie. That's absurd!

Hahahaha, yup.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
LEGO_PoliceBrickBox.jpg

Cradle to grave, media lionizes cops. If they're ever portrayed negatively, it's as corrupt cops working with drug dealers and such, never as fascists at war with POC and the poor.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This whole blue line and blue lives matter only started in response to BLM. Cops were always the enemy until POC started protesting.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017

Update: 75 year old white dude is a life long agitator and anarchist he might have provoked the Police.
Mainstream media: oh no the cops were right.

badatorigami

Dec 5, 2019
Just to clarify, the White House and police sets were pulled from LEGO storefronts so as not to make them an undue target of rioters. Anyone else that sell these sets can do whatever they want, which means they are most definitely still on shelves of all the other stores not owned by LEGO.
Pretty sure they're still on official LEGO shelves as well; they only pulled marketing for those sets, not the actual sets themselves. I understand that people were excited to see a corporation actually do something tangible and I do think that what LEGO did was a good thing, but they still want the money from those sets out there.

www.brickfanatics.com

The LEGO Group confirms sets have not been removed from sale

After an email from the LEGO Group’s affiliate marketing company spread to news outlets, the company has had to confirm that City Police and the 21054 The