• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you get your annual flu shot?

• Yes, always

Votes: 185 38.1%
  • Usually

Votes: 116 23.9%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 94 19.4%
  • No, never

Votes: 79 16.3%
  • Thor: The Dark Pandemic

Votes: 11 2.3%

• Total voters

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
I've never gotten a flu shot(or the flu for that matter), though I'm considering it this year. I'm not sure why I would given how little I'm coming into physical contact with strangers + still wearing a mask in most places. If I've never gotten the flu and I get the shot, that gonna gonna knock me on my ass for a day?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I can definitely say I'm more likely to get the flu shot these days than I was 5 years ago. It's not that I was ever anti-flu vaccine or anything, I just never went out of my way to get one, and used to mentally insulate myself because the flu shot sometimes has very low effectiveness. I'd get it if I had a doctors appt around nov-jan and my doc was like, "Hey do you want a flu shot?" I'd be like, sure, let's do it. But I wouldn't think to book an appointment on my own, it;'s just not something I thought about.

I've still gotten it probably 5 out of the last 5 yrars, but particularly in 2020 and 2021 I was lining up to get one because I didn't want nay chances. Not just protecting myself from the flu, but because I didn't want to get sick (with the flu) and then think it was COVID. Same with why I was very aggressive with seasonal allergy medicine, just didn't want to fuck with any complications from anything.

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's not just about protecting yourself. In fact, it's mostly about breaking the chain of infection and keeping people that you would have infected safe. If you don't pass it on, maybe there isn't an outbreak in a nursing home and a whole bunch of old people don't die.

influenza-us-mortality-rate-by-age-group.jpg
This seems to be a very hard concept for people to understand.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
It's not just about protecting yourself. In fact, it's mostly about breaking the chain of infection and keeping people that you would have infected safe. If you don't pass it on, maybe there isn't an outbreak in a nursing home and a whole bunch of old people don't die.

This.

Even if you aren't worried about it, get it to protect others.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I get that the flu isn't usually fatal so people ask what the big deal is but for me it's less about the flu and more about pneumonia.

There's nothing that I've experienced in my life that was quite as alarming as having a 103+ degree fever, coughing up endless amounts of fluid and small amounts of blood (from constantly coughing) into a bucket, and hearing that god awful chest rattle. Took me 10 days to get over it and it was pure hell the entire time because the only thing you can do at home is alternate tylenol and ibuprofen to keep the fever down. Inhalers help a bit but I wasn't fortunate to get that or the breathing treatment at the doctor's office at that time.

That was over 15 years ago and I still hate thinking about it. Anything that I can do to prevent going through that shit again is a must.

Last edited:

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
In most countries in the world, they can propose laws like Singapore did where, if you're unvaccinated, you're responsible for your treatment if you catch Covid and require treatment.

In America... it wouldn't make a difference.
American insurance companies already have the leverage to push more costs onto people who deliberately refuse vaccinations, same as they already push costs onto smokers. I bet we will see more of that, and that could certainly make a difference.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I've never gotten a flu shot(or the flu for that matter), though I'm considering it this year. I'm not sure why I would given how little I'm coming into physical contact with strangers + still wearing a mask in most places. If I've never gotten the flu and I get the shot, that gonna gonna knock me on my ass for a day?
You've never gotten the flu? Most of the time it presents as what people would refer to as a cold. But the reason to get the shot, as other people have said, is both to lower your chance of getting sick, as well as to lower your chance of unknowingly transmitting it.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
You've never gotten the flu? Most of the time it presents as what people would refer to as a cold. But the reason to get the shot, as other people have said, is both to lower your chance of getting sick, as well as to lower your chance of unknowingly transmitting it.
Plus, even low effectiveness shots reduce severity across the board so even if you do get influenza it's a whole lot less likely to be moderate to severe and have you go to urgent care or w/e.

Even being completely selfish, getting the flu shot will make your life much better in every way.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I know plenty of people including family that never gotten a flu shot. I myself would never get one either until I had the flu 7 years ago.

Been getting one ever since though.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
I've never had a doctor tell me I've had the flu, and I've never had a cold resembling the severity of the flu. It's certainly possible that I got it and had a light case, but I haven't had the "flu experience", if that makes sense. I'll probably get the shot, if only to make either of my folks less likely to get it.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
It makes me sad how many people skip flu shots. I am glad that at least some people have developed a renewed appreciation for vaccines these past two years. But I still have a lot of simmering resentment due to arguments I've had with people over flu shots. So much ignorance out there. It shouldn't frustrate me that now we have a vociferous collection of people arguing for annual vaccines. It's a good thing. But it was so quiet for so long that I feel really bad when I think about it. All sorts of bad feelings. Not just sadness. Frustration. Anger.

Maybe it's because of the communities I've grown up in. Medical ignorance is rampant. It crushes your spirit.

Zaphod

Aug 21, 2019
I work with a bunch of wing nuts. Flu vaccination dropped by half compared to last year, even though we added employees. I hate their stupid fucking death cult.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
My older sister worked in schools for decads and never got the flu shot or the flu. She's never had a cold either. Only time she's been sick was with covid.

She is vaccinated for covid but I doubt she got a flu shot.

I don't get the flu shot every year. Sometimes I go years without getting it. What I need is a hayfever vaccine.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
My older sister worked in schools for decads and never got the flu shot or the flu. She's never had a cold either. Only time she's been sick was with covid.

She is vaccinated for covid but I doubt she got a flu shot.

I don't get the flu shot every year. Sometimes I go years without getting it. What I need is a hayfever vaccine.

She should get it to help prevent the spread to others especially in schools.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I got my flu shot for the first time in like 15 years because it was stupid of me to be afraid of it but was willing to get the COVID-19 vaccine without hesitation.

From now on I'll always get my flu shot, even if I get miserably sick after.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
I'm likely to skip it this year for the same reason I skipped it last year: just seems like wearing a mask all the time and other covid norms makes it feel less necessary. I was never real consistent about it though.
Yeah, speaking as someone who actually did get the shot this yearā€¦ it will likely make almost no difference. With most people wearing masks around here, flu is going to have a really bad time trying to spread.
Nevertheless, I'm still going to do it every yearā€¦ people are going to eventually stop wearing masks (right?).

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017

Forget dying, just having the flu fucking sucks.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
My sister has already started heading down this path. She's not completely fargone, but she's at the point where she says she supports vaccinating her kids, but wants to spread the vaccinations out because her (quack) doctor told her it's bad to follow the existing vaccine schedule and administer multiple at once.

That's already been thoroughly debunked but there's no talking sense into her. Had she not been going to a compromised doctor she might have had an authoritative figure convince her otherwise.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Getting mine soon, already had a robo-call from the state reminding me that I should get it.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I feared that this was going to happen. I actually skipped my flu vaccine for health reasons, but had to get it for work. Still dealing with feeling sick days later.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I used to not get the flu shot but then two years in a row I got the flu in friggin September. So now I get the shot with all the old people over the summer lol.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Of course it did. the cycle of stupidity continues and likely to do so. Fear sells and no better buyer and seller than Conservatives.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Soon Republicans will no longer be vaccinating their babies.
It's definitely going to become more common among conservatives (and conservative libs to a smaller extent). The fear is real and it's dumb AF, but America is going to continue to split apart further. I wonder how far it can go without straight up secession.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
Republican propaganda slowing destroying this country. Unbelievable

People don't realize how bad it.

Being woke is bad no matter what it is. Cause to them anything they dont like is woke. Woke def. alert to injustice in society, especially racism.
Calling out people that do disgusting things is canceling them so it is bad no matter what.
Using CRT as a boogieman to get any books about race out of schools.
They hate covid vaccines so now any vaccine is bad.

Slowing chipping away and regressing us. It is really sad.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Polio will be making a comeback in republican circles you can book it.
I know you're joking but that's pretty unlikely. Measles will come back in full force long before we have a Polio epidemic in America, or anywhere except for poor/war torn countries with large rural areas.

Conservatives in Nigeria, Afghanistan, and Pakistan are the reason why kids are still getting infected with Polio, unfortunately. There are a lot of conspiracy theories surrounding the Polio vaccine in those countries, especially regarding it being a plot to sterilize Muslims.

Thankfully, even the Taliban recognize how important Polio vaccination is. Makes me hopeful we may actually be able to eradicate that shit disease in the coming decades.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
when are republicans going to start murdering their own children immediately after birth in order to own the libs?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I know you're joking but that's pretty unlikely. Measles will come back in full force long before we have a Polio epidemic in America, or anywhere except for poor/war torn countries with large rural areas.

Conservatives in Nigeria, Afghanistan, and Pakistan are the reason why kids are still getting infected with Polio, unfortunately. There are a lot of conspiracy theories surrounding the Polio vaccine in those countries, especially regarding it being a plot to sterilize Muslims.

Thankfully, even the Taliban recognize how important Polio vaccination is. Makes me hopeful we may actually be able to eradicate that shit disease in the coming decades.
Yeah measles prob would be More likely, but yeah we are def gonna see more and more people contracting these childhood diseases because of shit conservatives and some wonky liberals mixed in as well.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I never understand why people don't get the flu shot.
It's free widely and easily available.

"Oh but I never get the flu"
"Once when I got it I still got a cold"
deadpan.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I have my COVID-19 booster shot later today and I have my flu shot scheduled for about two weeks from now. I always get the flu shot because why wouldn't I.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I've been getting it every year for a while now. They make it so easy at this point. It's like 5-10 minutes at your local pharmacy, you can make an appointment online, etc.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah, I usually try to get mine but it's crazy that fewer conservatives are now. I guess science is a liberal conspiracy after all.......