• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
How would one show what they made prior to unemployment? Seems like a lot more work on everyone's part. Unless they do something as dumb as go off your last income tax that was turned in.

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Man they're so obvious in what they're doing. Only provide money to schools if they re-open, and encourage businesses to re-open fully during a pandemic despite what re-opening has done to increase the number of people infected. Meanwhile provide no new money for testing so that the public can't see that numbers are rising.
Yep, with blanket corporate immunity thrown in to shield these businesses from any liability. Republicans are full on a death cult.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How would one show what they made prior to unemployment? Seems like a lot more work on everyone's part. Unless they do something as dumb as go off your last income tax that was turned in.

But even that would be a logistical nightmare, figuring out how much extra federal money you'd get on top of your state money (which varies from state to state) just to make sure you don't get an extra hundred or 2 a week. Republicans really are the Fucking worst

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't understand why Trump's falling in the polls though.

Not falling far enough. He's badly behind, but still gets approval numbers in the 40s on most things. Him being roughly tied with Biden on the economy, the only issue left where he's not behind, just blows my mind.

They really want to absolutely get destroyed this election huh?

Not badly enough. Worst case scenario for the GOP is to still have half the governors, more than half the state legislatures, lose maybe another dozen House seats, have 48-49 Senators, a generally favorable judiciary, and lose the presidency by non-historic numbers. All of which would then almost certainly rebound in 2 years. It's not enough. Just...fuck the GOP.

On topic: I really feel for everyone still relying on that $600. The fucking GOP better cave at the last minute. It made a huge difference for the few weeks I was furloughed.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
after seeing the posturing from mcarthy and mcconnell today, another round of checks seems likely. kudlow and some others in the white house don't like the idea, but trump hasn't seemed to change and mnuchin is on board. theres more support for the idea than against it at this point though the details around it will probably change. the UI expansion posturing from the republicans today isn't awful either, though a cut is definitely coming.

trump pushing mcconnel to fight for payroll taxes feels like an incoming L for everyone involved, but it gives the dems more to work with along with the liability exemptions repubs want. this close to the election they'll want more ways of direct cash infusions to see any benefit possible before voting starts.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Why are posts like this allowed? You disagree with their opinion, that's absolutely fine, but come on. This is completely unnecessary and uncalled for. How about instead of being hostile, you make an attempt at explaining why you clearly disagree?

AndrewDean84 is rightfully getting called & cursed out by nearly everyone in this thread for posting something incredibly stupid, not just bye.

People need to learn to watch what they say.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
AndrewDean84 is rightfully getting called & cursed out by nearly everyone in this thread for posting something incredibly stupid, not just bye.

People need to learn to watch what they say.

This just happened to be the first post i saw and quoted, which is why I said why are "posts like this allowed" Except if you actually look through the posts, not nearly everyone in this thread is cursing him out, and many of those that ARE calling him out are at least doing it without being an asshole about it. You are right, people should learn to watch what they say, and "Kindly, Fuck off" is a prime example of learning to watch what you say.

But hey, if I can get away with saying something along the lines of "Kindly, Fuck off", I will be sure to remember that the next time I disagree with someone's post. It's clearly acceptable and saves me the trouble of typing an actual thought out response.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
I don't know how ppl there do it. There's gonna be a hell of a lot of homeless ppl if the GOP had their way

3CellPO

Banned
Jul 13, 2020
Although, I do know folks that purposely got let go, so they could not work, get paid unemployment, get the extra $600 and make more than if they were working.

giphy.gif

That sounds too ridiculous to be believable. Who do you knoow that did that?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Remember to put 10% aside from all the $600 payments for tax-purposes.

It's been fun claiming weekly. RIP $600, you came in handy.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
1) If you made more money before, you get more money from unemployment, and vice versa? Seems bad.
2) Just sending everyone a blank $600 check was hard enough, imagine customizing the amount for every person? Infrastructural nightmare.
3) How are they determining what previous income was? 2019 tax return? What if you were unemployed? What if you got a raise since then?

So many people are going to get destroyed by this come April.

I've been screaming this from the rooftops to everyone I know getting it. I'm secure enough right now to have it taken out automatically. But yeah there is going to be a rude awakening for people that realize they owe thousands of dollars in taxes. And they'll have nothing.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1) If you made more money before, you get more money from unemployment, and vice versa? Seems bad.
2) Just sending everyone a blank $600 check was hard enough, imagine customizing the amount for every person? Infrastructural nightmare.
3) How are they determining what previous income was? 2019 tax return? What if you were unemployed? What if you got a raise since then?
But states already have to know how much you made before because they usually pay out based on a percentage of your income with a cap right?

I don't know that this will be that much more complicated than the current method.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
But states already have to know how much you made before because they usually pay out based on a percentage of your income with a cap right?

I don't know that this will be that much more complicated than the current method.

Supposedly this data isn't always held by all states or that was the reasoning for why this wasn't the method to begin with. Also implementation would also be an actual nightmare. Any changes to the formulas used would have to take place at an already strapped unemployment agency. Also they might have to be made manually. As an example, in SC you're not supposed to be paid your first week on unemployment and then you get paid from then on. The governor signed an executive order that exempted the wait week in March. I was laid off on 4/28 and claimed the following week, no check on my wait week. I got paid the following week and the wait week money came just over a week ago.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Supposedly this data isn't always held by all states or that was the reasoning for why this wasn't the method to begin with. Also implementation would also be an actual nightmare. Any changes to the formulas used would have to take place at an already strapped unemployment agency. Also they might have to be made manually. As an example, in SC you're not supposed to be paid your first week on unemployment and then you get paid from then on. The governor signed an executive order that exempted the wait week in March. I was laid off on 4/28 and claimed the following week, no check on my wait week. I got paid the following week and the wait week money came just over a week ago.
Gotcha. These sorts of things always seem to be so much more complicated than they seem at first glance.

I imagine the logistical issues are a feature for them too. I'm sure Florida is real upset that they did such a poor job processing requests...

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
giphy.gif

That sounds too ridiculous to be believable. Who do you knoow that did that?
Oh it definitely happened. I know of two people who did this, one a family member who worked at a factory with a take-home of $1200 every two weeks and the other a friends wife that's worked retail and decided to not take maternity leave so they would lay her off and she would make more on unemployment than the leave.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how many state unemployment computer systems are held together with chewing gum and bits of string, I imagine that shifting from a flat $600 to a range of income-dependent variant amounts will lead to a fresh wave of horror stories as things go wrong and errors abound (not that the horror stories ever stopped in the first place).

3CellPO

Banned
Jul 13, 2020
Oh it definitely happened. I know of two people who did this, one a family member who worked at a factory with a take-home of $1200 every two weeks and the other a friends wife that's worked retail and decided to not take maternity leave so they would lay her off and she would make more on unemployment than the leave.

Sounds like a good plan then. More power to them.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Im getting the fuuuuck out of the US on the 24th so this works out for us. However, it should continue, it really can make a difference for small vendors

PinaColada

Oct 27, 2017
In Mass at least you're able to have the site take out the required amount for State and Federal. I hope people do this cause that'll be a big bill come tax time.
In MN that's how they do it as well. I did the full 15% for fed and state cause I'm not willing to have a kick in the nuts come tax time next year!

And yes I do know about the 600 not taking it out. I'm well prepared for next years taxes.

Last edited:

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
Gotcha. These sorts of things always seem to be so much more complicated than they seem at first glance.

I imagine the logistical issues are a feature for them too. I'm sure Florida is real upset that they did such a poor job processing requests...

Yeah I'm so lucky that I don't live in Florida, that place is a disaster right now. Honestly I think part of the problem is the lack of staff and stagnation of the unemployment systems but also changes like that on software are never as easy as it sounds.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
If the option is there - absolutely take it.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
If the option is there - absolutely take it.
Yeah, I really wish I'd done this now. Missed out on money, and time to study for a better career. Mostly, I wanted to stay with my lower wage job for the sake of stability, but they fucked me over after 15 years. Got nothing to show for the last 15 years of my life.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to stay with my lower wage job for the sake of stability
I'd been telling my friends the same. If you have a job, keep it, don't throw it away.

But you know what? I did a 180 on that line of thought for the most part since last month. Everything that is going on right now is the complete opposite of stability. I think it's safer to believe no one is safe.

Everyone's situation is different of course, but if you can make like 3x your original wage in less than a year, I think it's a pretty clear-and-cut case of what to do. My dad's a crossing guard locally here and he's furloughed for now, he already hit his 1 year salary and then some in 4 months.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017

The states do, but they aren't the ones paying the extra $$$. You get two deposits, one from the state and one from the feds. The amount you get from the state is unchanged from what it would be normally, and is determined by your application. The federal deposit is the same amount for everyone right now.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Remember to put 10% aside from all the $600 payments for tax-purposes.

It's been fun claiming weekly. RIP $600, you came in handy.

Yeah, the taxes are brutal. I pay quarterly tax for my work, so i just sent it in with that for the first portion. It really sucks that the automatic tax option you could choose weekly did not take out the part needed for the $600. I feel like a lot of people are going to be gobsmacked come tax time.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
That automatic tax reduction option did not count the $600
Yep. Many people think because they clicked that option that it deducts for both the state and federal amounts. If you look at your bank account, you can easily tell it's not effective for the $600 because it's well, exactly $600 lol

So many people are going to fall for it. Many states don't even let you know either, not like it's really their fault but they should notify everyone by mail.

At the very least, no one is going to be alone in that clusterfuck, Hopefully they go easy on everyone, IRS-wise.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the point is making sure people can continue their life, they should just make it 100% of your salary + healthcare instead of a flat rate

If the point is to just give people money to stay home or stimulate the conomy they should keep giving out the $600/wk (or increase it) and expand it

The flat $600k/wk doesn't work as strictly unemployment because for some it pays more than working and for others it doesn't pay enough to cover the bills. It doesn't work as a stimulus because it only gives money to unemployed people

Whenever it's brought up here people just say the point is to encourage people to avoid working but the people who actually pushed and continue to push for it argue vehemently that it doesn't do that

Yes I know economists say we are fucked without it -- I think it should be extended in a different form; even expanded

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
That automatic tax reduction option did not count the $600
Wait what, sheesh good thing I'm shaving a chunk off into my savings but it's probably going to knock out my savings if I'm not careful... not that I'm spending everything but it's the main thing helping me out. But yeah it'll could wipe out most of what I'm adding to my savings

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The GOP is treating this like stimulus instead of a public health economic emergency.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
They are also seriously discounting the fact that the extra $600 effectively acts as a loan to small businesses who are keeping their employees furloughed until business ramps back up.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are also seriously discounting the fact that the extra $600 effectively acts as a loan to small businesses who are keeping their employees furloughed until business ramps back up.

Well there is an entirely separate program for that. It directly reimburses small businesses for wages if they keep paying their employees to stay home

That program (PPP) is rife with problems but the $600 is not meant to replace it

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Yep. Many people think because they clicked that option that it deducts for both the state and federal amounts. If you look at your bank account, you can easily tell it's not effective for the $600 because it's well, exactly $600 lol

So many people are going to fall for it. Many states don't even let you know either, not like it's really their fault but they should notify everyone by mail.

At the very least, no one is going to be alone in that clusterfuck, Hopefully they go easy on everyone, IRS-wise.

I'm looking at my payout on the Unemployment site and the tax withholdings are triple what they usually are with the additional $600. This isn't the case for me unless I'm confusing something here.

The $600 is rolled into one large payment for me along with my normal unemployment that is taxed all together. I should be fine.

Sillution

Oct 25, 2017
Well this is awesome, couldn't even get a check this week cause it's already done in this state. Won't be able to afford to live anymore (house payment, utilities, etc) so I guess after this month I'll be dead or something.