• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
California
Not much of a wine drinker myself, despite living in Northern California (where there a ton of wine-tasting places).

I'm an uncultured swine when it comes to wine, since when I do drink it I prefer Stella Rosso.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Wine tastes like bitter piss (to me) no matter how much I try to learn to drink it or what price-range/type. It's not good as a getting-drunk drink (unless mixed with something) and it ruins foods if used as a food beverage (never quite got the "it-elevates-these-particular-dishes" scene, it just overrides all other flavors)

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Add me to the group that gets bad headaches if I drink more than one glass. Or maybe just been drinking garbage wine but I only really had a few that I really liked and I already forgotten the names of them. It doesn't help I could never finish a bottle before it goes sour.
That's usually from the tannins. Not necessarily cheap wines, though some cheap wines add a lot of them to mask their quality, so it's definitely possible they were garbage. If you take a sip and your mouth feels all dry, it probably has a lot of tannins. You could try a lighter red wine like Pinot Noir or most Italian merlots and primitivos. If you want to try to learn how to enjoy them at least.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Love love love wine. Give me a nice dry red all day everyday. I'll pick it over beer every time.
Also sweet wines are for people who do not like wine.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Wine tastes like bitter piss (to me) no matter how much I try to learn to drink it or what price-range/type. It's not good as a getting-drunk drink (unless mixed with something) and it ruins foods if used as a food beverage (never quite got the "it-elevates-these-particular-dishes" scene, it just overrides all other flavors)
Seems like you just don't like wine which is fine. However, pairing food with wine is one of the ultimate things in gastronomy. A good robust red wine with a steak *chefs kiss*

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is funny considering I've gotten really into wine over the course of the last 4 months or so. I keep a bottle of red in the crib. Cheap stuff from Walgreens, usually.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I got into wine because I like cheese and cured meats and getting tipsy. Once every month or two I'll usually go through a $20-30 bottle of Shiraz and a plate of the aforementioned snacks with a movie and a friend. It's not the taste you like at first, it's that it's pleasant, goes well with snacks, and gets you a little hazy by the end of the night.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also sweet wines are for people who do not like wine.
Sweet wines are for people who like sweet wines and I don't think you or anyone get to kick them out of the "people who like wine" club.
Also, even in the Wine Enthusiast context of "let me tell you what you actually like to drink", saying that people who like port or gewürztraminer icewine are not wine lovers is weird.

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
I like wine. It gets me a better longer lasting buzz than liquor, and I can actually drink it with dinner without my meal just turning into whiskey flavor motherfucker. Not to mention the liquor tax up in Washington is something like 20% + $4 per liter in a volume tax.. Math is hard, but I do know that the $15 fifth of Revel Stoke I like winds up being around $22. Wine is just like, standard 10% sales tax, yo.

Now if I could get announcement on Mead and Sake prices dropping, that'd be some fantastic news.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wine is maybe my favorite alcohol to drink, but I get worse hangovers from it than any other alcohol. The only other one that's close is hard seltzer. I've always been mildly curious as why but always forget to Google it.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Relative to beer I think the big problem with wine is that it can be incredibly expensive.

Not that there aren't good budget wines. Barefoot's stuff is all pretty solid (especially their whites and the rose, which the wife adores) and I'm a big fan of Santiago Station's red and white.

Sweet wines are for people who like sweet wines and I don't think you or anyone get to kick them out of the "people who like wine" club.
Also, even in the Wine Enthusiast context of "let me tell you what you actually like to drink", saying that people who like port or gewürztraminer icewine are not wine lovers is weird.
But there's no point to red wine if it ain't dry.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I'm not a wine person, I'm a craft beer guy, but I appreciate it. There is really good wine being made all along the west coast. The Yakima Valley in Washington and Willamette Valley in Oregon produce great product.

Relative to beer I think the big problem with wine is that it can be incredibly expensive.

Not that there aren't good budget wines. Barefoot's stuff is all pretty solid (especially their whites and the rose, which the wife adores) and I'm a big fan of Santiago Station's red and white.

Costco has some really solid affordable wine as part of their Kirkland Signature brand. My wife absolutely loves their Marlborough Ti Point Sauv Blanc at $6.99 over a lot of bottles that sell for twice as much.

Last edited:

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know anyone (that I've asked or eaten with) that drinks wine. It's mostly a parent thing.

I feel it's certainly a trend for younger people to not like wine, so this drop is unsurprising to me.
Literally everyone I know or in any of my circles drinks wine. What the hell?

Early 30s/late 20s, west coast USA.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Problem I have with wine is that I destroy bottles and it's expensive.

How doesn't everyone drink a bottle of wine a night. It's so good.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah it's definitely not just a "parents thing" whatever the hell that is. I suspect that poster is very young. I didn't start on wine really until mid 20s because all I really cared about before that was getting drunk as cheaply as possible.

*laughs in consistent cheap European wine prices*

3-5 € for a very drinkable bottle 😭

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018

Yeah it's definitely not just a "parents thing" whatever the hell that is. I suspect that poster is very young. I didn't start on wine really until mid 20s because all I really cared about before that was getting drunk as cheaply as possible.
I'm 34 and don't really know many who drinks wine other than my folks. It's almost entirely spirits and beer that I see.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Sweet!

I like wine, but the good stuff is expensive as fuck - $30 will get you 2 handles of Costco vodka, a decent bottle of scotch or bourbon, a couple 6-packs of great beer, or... 4-5 glasses of pretty good wine

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Sweet!

I like wine, but the good stuff is expensive as fuck - $30 will get you 2 handles of Costco vodka, a decent bottle of scotch or bourbon, a couple 6-packs of great beer, or... 4-5 glasses of pretty good wine

$30 can get you 2-3 bottles of good wine. Plenty more than 4-5 glasses. Not sure why everyone is saying wine is too expensive, good wine is only expensive if you want it to be.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
can someone recc. a red wine that is sweet and doesn't taste like dried grapes?
sweet-berry-wine.gif

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm 34 and don't really know many who drinks wine other than my folks. It's almost entirely spirits and beer that I see.
0FnZ5Ir.jpg

Nothing is going to get you a better "getting drunk" bang for a buck than Vodka, especially in the US, but $30 on wine at Costco will get you 4-5 bottles, which is 20-25 glasses of wine.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
hope this affects the local winery I buy from, their cotton candy wine is good but goddamn could i do with saving a few bucks

Problem I have with wine is that I destroy bottles and it's expensive.

How doesn't everyone drink a bottle of wine a night. It's so good.

I tell myself, "Oh, I only drink some of the bottle tonight!"

few hours later it's all gone.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
Wine is good but it's not very accessible. You have to learn a lot and try a lot to develop a taste and find what you like

I mean, maybe in rural areas with only one or two liquor stores it's not very acceptable. But I live in a fairly modest city and there's wine tastings everywhere. Not to mention, most wines I buy are $12-20 a bottle, as opposed to spirits which tend to range from $25-60.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing is going to get you a better "getting drunk" bang for a buck than Vodka, especially in the US, but $30 on wine at Costco will get you 4-5 bottles, which is 20-25 glasses of wine.

Maybe I should branch out a bit when I'm at Costco - I usually stick to California reds but it sounds like there's lots of good stuff to be found elsewhere for cheaper

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I should branch out a bit when I'm at Costco - I usually stick to California reds but it sounds like there's lots of good stuff to be found elsewhere for cheaper
Obviously, taste is subjective, but I think most people should be able to find wine that they enjoy in the $5-$10 price range.
It's harder than it should be in the US since many specialty wine stores just don't carry cheap wines and in supermarkets and such, many of the cheap wines are super light bodied (this is just a market selection, it's not more expensive to make a heavy body wine) so if you're not into that, you might have to go through a few wines you don't love, though I personally can enjoy drinking wine that I don't totally adore, so I don't terribly mind that.

I would definitely give Costco's Kirkland brand wines a look, they are good value and if you find something you like there it will be pretty easy to get more of it (which is not always the case with wine).

The best value is always going to be buying directly from small wineries, but I have no idea how relevant it is in where you are.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
What are some good wines in the under $30 range. I have enjoyed sweet wines and Rosè in the past but haven't gotten into them before. to put my region into perspective I can get to the Paso Robles wine area.of CA in a sub-2 hour drive.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wine will make its return as the next hipster alcohol drink once craft beer becomes too mainstream
Anecdotally, around here wine cans are kinda moving into that space. I don't think wine is terribly likely to replace craft beers in pubs because the economics of selling wines at bars is always kinda problematic.