• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Re: the "planted evidence" comment by Trump's lawyer... I wouldn't read too much into it. Trump's lawyers say a ton of crazy shit on TV, it's just part of Trump's strategy of flooding the zone with shit knowing that most of it doesn't stick in the right ways and they aren't held accountable for lying.
Yeah, this is a straight up trick he borrowed from Big Papa Putin.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a new strategy. It's basically exactly what the late Michael Brooks was going for in attempting to sort of meet the online right on their level, on their playground, and to kind of engage in internet memes and general spitefulness and irreverence to attract people from the other side who are presumably largely in it for that whole style rather than actual policy.

I understand it from that standpoint but I disagreed with it even during the Michael Brooks days, and he was far more intelligent and perceptive (and funny) than any of his replacements.
I keep waffling on this, and I personally think its cringe as hell, but I think that people on the center-left to left side of things haven't had something...fun to actually run with that wasn't just crap about making fun of Trump for a long time. I think people getting into celebrating substantive victories of the Democratic party is a move in the right direction, yeah its pretty nakedly just group signalling, that's what memes are, but I think that the energy of "Look how awesome it is that real, important good stuff is happening" is actually fairly important from a morale perspective. I wish they'd picked a better meme for it, but I'll take what I can get

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I really hope the Republicans don't win in November. They are NOT going to let this go. They are going to strike back and it's going to be miserable. They'll find some way to write Trump's immunity into law. Bunch of wackos.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
These people wouldn't even know who or what they're fighting. Are they going to go line up in a field by themselves?

Going to try another 1/6?

If they actually opened fire on Federal property they'd be leveled in minutes.

This shit is so irresponsible especially w right wing opinion leaders boosting this kind of talk

heard one talking head comparing this rhetoric to the kind of sentiment heard in 1990's which eventually led to this:

so yeaaaa

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
i'm not American and im trying to understand this whole thing if its good or bad, so forgive me for asking but.. i know from TV that FBI is really powerful and does some shady stuff, and now they have attacked a formed US President, doesnt it mean that they can attack literally anyone, come into anyones home (like yours dear Era members...), just like that, to go through your stuff, look at your computer files..?
They've always have been.

iu

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I will say, the Dark Brandon stuff is a little cringe to me personally. That said, this is the first time I've seen Biden positively meme'd by a large swath of the left since that time he dragged some poor Ayn Rand fanboy up and down the VP Debate stage. Their name was...Tim Ryan, or something? I don't know her.

So while I don't engage in it much, if the Dark Brandon stuff gives stuff gives some people on the left the permission structure to talk positively about the Biden Administration's achievements, I won't hate on it.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I too would listen to a former One America News host because she's clearly on the up and up. He's literally hiring people who praise him to defend him in court now.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXvb-LPUMNQ&ab_channel=OneAmericaNewsNetwork

She was never fired for this. She left of her own will, to personally work as Trump's lawyer. He has the same quality standards of fast food wrappings.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Boy I sure wish these people would stop posting these extreme right wing talking points all over Twitter. Nobody watches newsmax. We know they are crazy and delusional, what's the point in posting them?

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope the Republicans don't win in November. They are NOT going to let this go. They are going to strike back and it's going to be miserable. They'll find some way to write Trump's immunity into law. Bunch of wackos.
They're going to make us miserable regardless. Might as well make them nervous for a bit.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Boy I sure wish these people would stop posting these extreme right wing talking points all over Twitter. Nobody watches newsmax. We know they are crazy and delusional, what's the point in posting them?
Sunlight is a great disinfectant. They deserve ridicule and spreading their fever dream bullshit will hopefully inoculate people against the nonsense they spew and/or make it harder for them to spin what they said later when it's no longer convenient

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only people happier than us are the pundits and executives at Fox News. They probably haven't gotten ratings like this since the election.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
i'm not American and im trying to understand this whole thing if its good or bad, so forgive me for asking but.. i know from TV that FBI is really powerful and does some shady stuff, and now they have attacked a formed US President, doesnt it mean that they can attack literally anyone, come into anyones home (like yours dear Era members...), just like that, to go through your stuff, look at your computer files..? how is that good? also, i looked it up and apprently OVER 70 million people are Trump Fans, they voted for him and really seem to love him.. how will this affect them and their lives, their families? anyone take that into consideration? what if they decide they wont take this anymore, and organize? they could attack the FBI or Congress or take over military bases, since weapons are legal in America they could bring assault weapons, or even bazookas and flamethrowers, right? what then?!

yes yes you think im joking and yeah OK i am, and i hope i fooled at least one person for a moment lol. seriously though i read all 42 pages and ive been thoroughly entertained, thanks everyone. legendary thread. just so much fun! (what we all need right?)
FBI functions the same way secret police does in authoritarian regimes. They were involved in various assassinations over the years of civil rights leaders. Surveilled a large swath of population and set up entrapment. They can always do anything you mentioned. Theyre essentially the mukhabarat.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
AFAIK, Dark Brandon actually started in some leftist circles (mostly folks who always hated Biden regardless) in order to mock him for being milquetoast and ineffectual. Like a "imagine if Biden actually did something, wouldn't that be nice" kind of thing. Nowadays it's been co-opted by the broader left as a way to reclaim the "Lets go Brandon" thing. I agree it's all a bit cringe now, but I'll take Dark Brandon any day over more "Orange man bad" style screaming into the void.

More on topic, still kind of nuts this raid actually happened and I genuinely hope it leads to actual consequences. The cope from all the right wing talking heads has been incredibly entertaining.

Oct 31, 2017
Saw someone say something about this entire fucking thing that made more sense to me than anything else:

"The reason republicans get so incredibly huffy when any of the tools of law enforcement are ever turned upon them is they think "criminals" as an inherent class of people (who they of course could never be part of) rather than a descriptor for someone who commits illegal acts.

They're apoloeptic about IRS agents targeting them because they aren't criminals in that they are good people who ipso facto can't be criminals, not because they haven't broken the law.

A criminal is a kind of person that you are, not a descriptor of the things that you do. Thus, there are criminals who they are disgusted to see get off on the technicalities such as civil rights, and good people who happen to break the law subject to very unfair arrests.

This is also why they think it's ok to lock up "criminals" for 20 years for stealing a loaf of bread, or for cops to execute "criminals" in the street, but it's a goddamned disgrace when a CEO who's been embezzling millions is even asked to pay it back."

This is why the right is so incensed that the FBI had a warrant and went to Mar-a-lago. Trump isn't a criminal in their eyes even though he's done numerous things that are criminal. That's why you can have so many on the right in lockstep declaring this is the end of America and screaming that the FBI should be defunded, because the FBI went after someone they believe isn't the criminal even though there is mountains of evidence to the contrary. And if the system finds that Trump is a criminal the. The system is corrupt because these people are in too deep. There is no way they can admit they were wrong now.

I mean, you just look at it another way: I remember watching an interview with a Christian married couple, probably middle aged, in 2016 talking about how Trump's divorces are technically a sin, but she's been divorced, husband's been divorced, so many people have that it's not a big deal. It's just like picking and choosing what sins you care about.

It also explains why so many Trump supporters I've argued with have mugshots.

I will say, the Dark Brandon stuff is a little cringe to me personally. That said, this is the first time I've seen Biden positively meme'd by a large swath of the left since that time he dragged some poor Ayn Rand fanboy up and down the VP Debate stage. Their name was...Tim Ryan, or something? I don't know her.

So while I don't engage in it much, if the Dark Brandon stuff gives stuff gives some people on the left the permission structure to talk positively about the Biden Administration's achievements, I won't hate on it.

Question: are you LGBTQ or black/Hispanic? Only reason I ask is because I have a few friends who consider the Dark Brandon memes reappropriating fascist stuff and don't find it funny, and a few are my black friends who feel a lot of people doing it are well-intentioned white liberals. I just think it's hilarious that Joe Biden of all people is basically Emperor Palpatine, along with Terminator 1 lines edited into that infamous meme video, but I'm not my friends and don't view it the same way. Taking over Brandon is okay with them, but the #DARKMAGA stuff is really gross, so they're just kind of turned off. What say you?

Oct 25, 2017

Also one of the rare moments we managed to wrangle some of their own messaging into a positive. I think it's harmless and should be encouraged more to neuter their total grasp on marketing ignorance.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I too would listen to a former One America News host because she's clearly on the up and up. He's literally hiring people who praise him to defend him in court now.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXvb-LPUMNQ&ab_channel=OneAmericaNewsNetwork

She was never fired for this. She left of her own will, to personally work as Trump's lawyer. He has the same quality standards of fast food wrappings.

"TRUMP GOT SO MANY VOTES THAT THE EVIL ALGORITHIM OF THE DEMOCRATS' PLAN BLEW UP!"

Lolololol

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1557082041551822848?s=20&t=wIWtx-4QHaISeJ6JCJMYsQ

Folks, I don't wanna alarm any of you, but it's possible that Trump has already been replaced with a clone.

Hell, the entire Trump family might just be a set of clones at this point.

What really pisses me off is moments like Jordan, in the second part of that...let's say montage. That exploitation of people's awareness for the wider context, asking 'Oh why didn't you just talk to Trump and ask for the info', when... by all accounts, they did. Since January. Went there and asked for it in June.

Stripping away that context to make it seem an unreasonable escalation, rather than the result of Trump and his cronies dragging their heels

Oct 26, 2017

Interesting. So basically:

- There's nothing for the FBI to find.
- But if there is something there, maybe the FBI put it there because I wasn't allowed to watch the search.
- But I'm not saying they planted evidence, the FBI would probably just lie about what they found.
- But there's nothing there for them to find.

Yeah, something is definitely up. If everything was above board, you would just say, "there's nothing improper to find and we're cooperating fully. Done.". You don't start adding qualifiers about if something nefarious is found.

And the drumbeat should get louder for Trump to just show the search warrant if the right wants to claim this is a political hit-job with literally no proof. If this was just a simple search warrant to, "Please return the Kim Jong love letters, pleez" then Trump would have already released the warrant to the public. But I'm guessing what's written in the search warrant is not a nothing burger.

I think Trump right now is just trying to build up as much GOP public support as possible, so when the gritty details are released, he would have already conditioned 30-40% of the country that the entire thing is a shame and fabricated, and not to trust any evidence from it.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I'm a bad capitalist because I can't fathom being so soulless as to create merch to siphon money out of political lunatics, even people who would agree with me

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing?

This is probably the best thing that could have happened to Trump (assuming he'd be in the same trouble regardless). Fox and the wider Republican world were priming the pump to finally jump the sinking ship and now they have to climb back on.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
It's funny how they break down when the "left" goes on the offensive and they're forced to play defense.

There isn't a page for that in their handbook, is there?

HybridEidolon

Sep 27, 2020
As important as this is, I have to agree with the folks saying that this will likely lead to further right-wing violence. Believe them when they say they will fight. That's how this started in the first place.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As important as this is, I have to agree with the folks saying that this will likely lead to further right-wing violence. Believe them when they say they will fight. That's how this started in the first place.

As if that isn't already an issue? Did people already forget January 6th? And that was over people voting.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so you're saying we should just ignore the corrupt shit because trumpers might feel violated?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just fucking love now that something's happening, the Doom Poster narrative has switched now to "we should just let Trump commit crimes to not enrage his base"

HybridEidolon

Sep 27, 2020
Don't give in to bullies.

Okay, so you're saying we should just ignore the corrupt shit because trumpers might feel violated?

"Just lay down and surrender, maybe that'll work"

The internet is so fucking amazing because if you say something, people will literally invent whatever thing they want to be mad about and say that you said it.

My point wasn't that it shouldn't be done, and I made that pretty damn clear within the first 5 words of my post.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
This is hilarious. He probably just made a few million if Trump supporters are as gullible as I think they are.

FZvm5CYWQAIqiyC

Last edited:

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
There is literally no course of events that doesn't lead to further right wing violence. They don't need an actual reason, they'll just use the cause du jour as justification.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
"if we don't let our kid eat cake and drink mountain dew for dinner every night we have to fight to get them to sleep"