• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jedi79

Oct 27, 2017
The first $10k from 2020 is tax free according to multiple articles published today.

They need to clarify if people on unemployment will also get the first $10k in 2021 tax free. If not, the drop from $400 to $300 is nonsense

It isn't about how people "come out in the long term." The UI boost SHOULD be $600. People need this money right now. Dropping it from Biden's proposed $400 to $300 is crap.
I made roughly $13,000 from unemployment and didn't get it taxed ( I know I'm an idiot) my taxes aren't filed yet this year.. should I wait?

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Serious question: Does President Biden have any power in literally firing senator Manchin and Sinema?

Not that I'm 100% serious, but just curious. I really don't understand how I never even hear of the name Manchin (I always call him Munchkin in my head) or Sinema, and since Biden, they suddenly become the King and Queen of the Democrats. Basically they are law and get to decide our fates now by acting like the GOP under the "democratic" disguise.

You fire them by having 52 or more Democrats in the senate so their votes aren't needed to reach 50. Unfortunately voters in states like Maine and NC which are much more Democratic than West Virginia did not vote for Democratic senators in 2020. They and Republicans are as much to blame or more for the current situation than Manchin and Sinema.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
What a shit show.

So, answer me this. Isn't there supposed to be ANOTHER bill after this to help businesses? How the fuck is that one going to pan out?

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
The Democratic Party continues to be the Democratic Party - spineless in regards helping the people its supposed to support, and bending over backwards to make concessions to the GOP that wants to tear down all support for the people to make a quick buck and erase minorities and the LGBT community and human rights in general for everyone but the rich white elites. This government really, really sucks. We are in a crisis and they want to keep playing their little game of politics. This is why we had Trump for 4 years, and will see another president just as bad if not worse than Trump after Biden's term is up.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
What a shit show.

So, answer me this. Isn't there supposed to be ANOTHER bill after this to help businesses? How the fuck is that one going to pan out?
If the filibuster isn't eliminated, then I think the most likely scenario is that we whatever a Republican Senate would pass (since there would ostensibly be 60 votes for it, even if it would not nearly be enough to address the problem)... or something's jammed into the next Fiscal Year's defense spending bill, which will be one of those omnibus must-pass things.

You see all the trimming and voting and amendments now, with broken promises and last-minute changes? It'll be like that.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
This is old news (it's no longer relevant because Manchin is going for the Republican $300-ends-in-July-that's-all-you-get amendment), but it was actually not a bad deal.

The tax break would have outweighed the reduced amount, so it would have been a net gain to UI recipients.

No, unless you have info newer than this tweet, Manchin is on board with the ends Sept 3 $300/week UI and $10k tax free. He was considering Portman's version many hours earlier.

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
It's the same amount they're getting now (just without the need to give so much back in taxes).

That argument doesn't go anywhere. It provides certainty where there hasn't been any past March, and it will leave most people with more money at the end than they would have otherwise received.

Missing the point. For some people, Biden's original proposal would have been better. It offered $100 more a week and extended benefits until the end of September. If the first $10k in benefits is for 2020, then I've already paid it, so that doesn't even apply to me, but even if it did, it's not the same as having $100 more to budget with a week.

Sorry if you're not poor enough to understand that.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Missing the point. For some people, Biden's original proposal would have been better. It offered $100 more a week and extended benefits until the end of September. If the first $10k in benefits is for 2020, then I've already paid it, so that doesn't even apply to me, but even if it did, it's not the same as having $100 more to budget with a week.

If you already filed 2020 taxes you can file an amendment after this bill passes and get the tax you paid on that $10k back.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'd imagine it's insulting anywhere. It's $400 max in California, and rent alone is $2,000 - $2,400 for a 1BR apartment in San Jose.

Another thing so many people are ignoring: the UI boost was gone for months while no stimulus was passed because of Republicans.

People are far behind on bills and in very bad places because of that. This stimulus should be trying to make up for the lack of help for the entire fall but it doesn't do that.

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
If you already filed 2020 taxes you can file an amendment after this bill passes and get the tax you paid on that $10k back.

I don't know how many times I have to say this but getting money back later is not the same as getting money now. By the time I get it back I probably will probably be fully employed and won't be in such dire circumstances. Of course, I don't expect people who aren't in my position to understand that.

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Another thing so many people are ignoring: the UI boost was gone for months while no stimulus was passed because of Republicans.

People are far behind on bills and in very bad places because of that. This stimulus should be trying to make up for the lack of help for the entire fall but it doesn't do that.

Thank you.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017

Sorry if you're not poor enough to understand that.
I imagine you just need to file an amendment...that or they initiate it on their side or something

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
Democrats need to get control of local offices, mayors, county commissioners, governorships, etc. This leads to more Democrats in congress.
What we are seeing is the art of doing what is possible in current times. Obama had to deal the same shit without a majority.

The USA is basically a conservative nation, folks do not like change. We will need a blend of Democratic progressives and moderates to hold power.

The rise of Trump showed us the alternative. A bass fisherman in Texas has different expectations of government than someone living in Brooklynn.
What can we do? Keep voting since none of this will be solved by one election cycle. Democrats need to be a big tent party and some will be disappointed along the way.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I don't know how many times I have to say this but getting money back later is not the same as getting money now. By the time I get it back I probably will probably be fully employed and won't be in such dire circumstances. Of course, I don't expect people who aren't in my position to understand that.

Huh? When the bill passes you can file an amended return and get the money back in a couple weeks. If you were in the 12% bracket that's $1200 you get immediately instead of getting 12 weeks of $100 difference you'd get from UI over months.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Democrat Party: Get up we aren't done with you yet!

Americans who had hope for something better-

giphy.gif

What a day Folks

Last edited:

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Unless I'm reading it wrong it sounds like at least $300/wk boosted and you get an additional month along with that 10200 of UI tax free which means you would come out ahead in the long term vs the 400/wk but still worse than 600/wk

1) Not everyone was unemployed last year long enough to even rack up $10k in UI.
2) I'd imagine most people would like to find a job at some point, especially with the vaccine finally here, which means that the extended unemployment might not even be a factor.

This is taking $400 per month during a pandemic from every unemployed person in a household for benefits they might not ever see.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
This whole situation is just such a fucking mess. Obviously the Democratic Party is far superior to the Republican Party, but damn it sucks to live in a country where the two political parties/options are Stupid Fascists and everyone that isn't a stupid fascist

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? If it's a tax return on 2020, you should be getting it relatively soon after the bill passes.

What about people that lost their jobs at the tail end of last year, or the start of this one, and will see little to no benefit since they had no where near $10k in unemployment in 2020? They will only be seeing $400 a month going away.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
1) Not everyone was unemployed last year long enough to even rack up $10k in UI.
2) I'd imagine most people would like to find a job at some point, especially with the vaccine finally here, which means that the extended unemployment might not even be a factor.

This is taking $400 per month during a pandemic from every unemployed person in a household for benefits they might not ever see.

Do you think the average person was more likely to be unemployed last year or between now and September? Unemployment claims have been going down so the UI tax benefit for 2020 would help more people than UI for March-Sept 2021.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Do you think the average person was more likely to be unemployed last year or between now and September? Unemployment claims have been going down so the UI tax benefit for 2020 would help more people than UI for March-Sept 2021.

So anyone that lost their jobs in the last 3 months doesn't matter? Just hang them out to dry I guess. It should be obvious that this is all an attempt to drive people back to work by cutting benefits down to where they can't afford to be unemployed.

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Huh? When the bill passes you can file an amended return and get the money back in a couple weeks. If you were in the 12% bracket that's $1200 you get immediately instead of getting 12 weeks of $100 difference you'd make over months.

This is an extremely optimistic estimation and is in no way guaranteed if my experience with filling amended returns in the past is anything to go by (and who knows how smoothly things will go for the IRS in the middle of a pandemic), and doesn't change the fact that the current benefits are paltry and has made it very difficult for me to manage all of my living expenses for myself and my kids. The $600 a week bonus was sufficient, the $300 a week is not. $400 a week isn't either but it's better than no increase at all. Waiting indefinitely for the IRS to send me a lump sum payment is just a lot more difficult to budget around, whereas with weekly payments, budgeting is at least a lot more predictable/reliable. Don't know how else to explain why I would prefer Biden's plan but I would.

This should have been in the plan from the beginning, on top of heightened weekly amounts.

Now this I can agree with.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
So anyone that lost their jobs in the last 3 months doesn't matter? Just hang them out to dry I guess.

I never said that but thanks for putting words in my mouth. Helping more people is better than helping less people. The reconciliation process is capped at $1.9T and adding the tax benefit and extension required cutting something else. Also, Manchin was threatening to vote to end it in July.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I never said that but thanks for putting words in my mouth. Helping more people is better than helping less people. The reconciliation process is capped at $1.9T and adding the tax benefit and extension required cutting something else. Also, Manchin was threatening to vote to end it in July.

There are states where people are getting less than $100 in unemployment + the added benefits. This isn't about helping people. It's about cutting unemployment benefits down until people can't afford to be unemployed.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The UI tax credit is odd to me. To even benefit from it any meaningful fashion means you were unemployed basically the entire year. There is already a 12,500 standard deduction. The Feds ended up paying me over 1000 in refund due to overtaxing me on my UI just from the standard deduction. The extra credit is really not that amazing

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
The UI tax credit is odd to me. To even benefit from it any meaningful fashion means you were unemployed basically the entire year. There is already a 12,500 standard deduction. The Feds ended up paying me over 1000 in refund due to overtaxing me on my UI just from the standard deduction. The extra credit is really not that amazing

For people without significant earned income in 2020 and have children there probably won't be much extra there since the children will likely already offset the taxes paid in. The $10k credit will likely be a mirage for a lot of people.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
There are states where people are getting less than $100 in unemployment + the added benefits. This isn't about helping people. It's about cutting unemployment benefits down until people can't afford to be unemployed.

OK, if you're saying boosting additional UI from $0 to $300 and sending out $1400 checks plus more for families with kids and dependents isn't helping people, I'm going to stop arguing.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018

Unemployment claims didn't go up until April last year, so that income would've gone towards people's standard deductions. $10k is only 12 weeks if you had $200 base + $600 bonus.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
OK, if you're saying boosting additional UI from $0 to $300 and sending out $1400 checks plus more for families with kids and dependents isn't helping people, I'm going to stop arguing.

I'm saying there are people currently getting less than $2000 a month that will have to live on less than $1600 a month going forward. Not every state has generous unemployment benefits. This is where the $600 a week number came from to start with.

I do like the disingenuous $0 to $300 like people haven't been getting $400 a week since the start of the year.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I'm saying there are people currently getting less than $2000 a month that will have to live on less than $1600 a month going forward. Not every state has generous unemployment benefits. This is where the $600 a week number came from to start with.

What are you talking about? The $600 federal boost ended last July. What is the $2000 current number you're talking about?

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Cool. Was looking forward to being able to pay rent and have a bit of cash on the side for some groceries or if we get in a pinch. Guess not. The last few months with only the $300 boost has been kind of brutal.

Oct 27, 2017
Democrats need to get control of local offices, mayors, county commissioners, governorships, etc. This leads to more Democrats in congress.
What we are seeing is the art of doing what is possible in current times. Obama had to deal the same shit without a majority.
Good luck getting that in deep red states. I think it's probably harder to gets Dems in downballot positions in those states than it is to get them in Congressional ones