• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Half or more of those will end up on Switch too, albeit later.

i'd say probably all of them with the possible exception of tales of arise, there's nothing out of that bunch that's impossible for switch outside of MAYBE arise. And if these JP studios can put these smaller AA titles on other platforms they surely will

I get what you're saying, and part of it is obviously the way the article is framed and quote from Pachter: "Analysts at Wedbush Securities said that once again attracted shoppers because it was "likely a reflection of the competition feeling a bit long-in-the-tooth" ahead of newly refreshed devices expected in 2020." so when people's only comments are "obviously, because next gen consoles are next year"(paraphrased) it definitely comes across as excusing the success.

A very fair point, patcher mentioning the competition would have gotten people riled up to begin with, but add that onto a statement about switch sales and it makes sense why its so contentious

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They shouldn't be, but they will be.

Out of those the only one I think definitely won't is One Man Punch. Some of the others are toss ups (mainly the Scamco stuff) but I do think most will.

The only ones I see as possible are RoTK(Powerup kit version) and Ys IX if Nippon Ichi is able to do it.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
It also includes $60 worth of software.

It's been fascinating to see folks "New to Nintendo" with the Switch realize that their games don't hit $10 after a year.

The extreme resale value makes Switch an ideal unit to buy physical and resell/trade in. Hell BOTW used easily sells for $40+ lol, let alone any recent 1st party titles.

It's the kind of thing where you are really best off buying physical for the major evergreens, and digital only for fluff that is never worth much, or crashes in value (sports).

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Just anecdotal but I have multiple family members now talking about getting a Switch this year. Feels like it has reached the next level of awareness this year.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
While i dont think the statement of the article is all that surprizing, i do find the article to be specifically bad.

The analyst at wedbush securities(that stays unnamed) is most likely to be pachter, so anything he says is probably far from reality.

The article also mentions that Nintendo lowering shipment goals from 20 to 17m for some reason, which does not actually apply in any form to this fiscal year.
The lowering was for the last one, the goal for this one is 18m for the moment, though most people would expect it to be upped by a million or two come next report, since they should have shipped 18m by then already.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
If Sony bothered to be aggressive with the 199$ deal all thru the week, they could have sold a lot more. The bundle was not available in a lot of places even before Black Friday started

I think they are very committed to high profits and limited specials. I have been on a complete banshee run through DFW Walmarts, Best Buys, Targets, etc, and have YET to see a single :

$199 PS4
$299 Pro
$249 PSVR

Actually in stock, anywhere. Oh, I see Slims and Pros, but at FULL MSRP. Makes me wonder how many they put out for the special prices. Probably less than 500,000, maybe even less than 250k. Honestly with such limited numbers, why bother, it just pisses people off, I bet it lowered sales if anything, because people expecting to get $199 and three games aren't going to give a crap about $299 Gameless Slims. In fact, that's exactly how I ended up buying TWO switches as gifts. Figure if I can't get a PS4 $199 bundle, and have to pay full price for a console, why not go Switch instead for them.

XB SAD units though are piled up beyond belief at Walmarts. $149 is too much money for it.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Maybe a Switch Lite + Animal Crossing Black Friday Bundle in 2020?

With less features. The regular Switch is still $300.

To the consumer, cost of entry is everything. It's a defacto price cut to 'buy a switch'. We heard the same obfuscation with the Diskinect. Yes, the kinect was no longer bundled. It was still a $100 (and shortly thereafter $150!) price cut for cost of entry to X1.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
In a lot of European countries, retailers are trying to make Black Friday a thing as well since a couple of years, with varying success. Don't get your hopes up too high yet.

Japan is quite different from Europe and arguably closer to the US in a lot of ways in terms of consumer behavior. Consumerism in the metropolitan areas of Japan is quite prevalent and I think if given the proper push, it can become quite a formidable presence in retail.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Japan is quite different from Europe and arguably closer to the US in a lot of ways in terms of consumer behavior. Consumerism in the metropolitan areas of Japan is quite prevalent and I think if given the proper push, it can become quite a formidable presence in retail.
The issue is Japan already has its own big retail shopping season (Golden Week), and I am not sure if the economy can support two consumer spending holidays in a calendar year.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Remember when the $300 Switch had no chance of competing with the cheaper consoles, which had bigger libraries?

Remember when the Switch story was exhausted?

Good times.
Nice.

Remember when most of these same people bought an overpriced Wii tablet for $349, and then $300, that couldn't push 1080/60 resolution games and had New Super Mario Bros U as the only new exclusive for almost a year? Then made disingenuous arguments about how that tablet is better than the Switch because of VC games that were also on older systems that were cheaper, and because it took 3 years to get a respectable library of 5-6 games that the Switch has ported most of, in almost half the time?

Good times.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
There's two models with one of them positioned as a budget model. This is silly.
No and they don't have feature parity. The more expensive Switch is the standard - acting like the 45m sold Switches are suddenly the "Premium" version of the Switch Lite is a bit ridiculous.

When comparing console price drops you usually take the standard model price at launch and how the price developed over time. The 300 USD Switch IS the standard.

Oct 26, 2017
No and they don't have feature parity. The more expensive Switch is the standard - acting like the 45m sold Switches are suddenly the "Premium" version of the Switch Lite is a bit ridiculous.

When comparing console price drops you usually take the standard model price at launch and how the price developed over time. The 300 USD Switch IS the standard.

high-end
/hʌɪˈɛnd/
adjective

1. denoting the most expensive of a range of products.
    "high-end computers"

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
In the US? PS4 hasn't even caught PS2, 360 or Wii here yet, there's lots of consumers to sell to still.

I agree, especially for multi-gamer households with growing kids. I was going to get my younger son his own slim, but ended up buying a Switch Lite instead.

PS4 could have sold way more $199 bundles if they were actually available, but it was damn near a paper/fake sale with incredibly limited numbers. At least I saw the $199 Spidey units with my own eyeballs. I could reasonably be convinced that this PS4 three game bundle didn't even exist at all, and was a joke.

TONs more customers for these consoles, just need to hit the right prices. $199 and under has been woefully underserved.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
New Year's is also a big one, which would be more of a threat to the potential for Black Friday weekend than Golden Week is.
Oh yeah, the dreaded Week 52 lol.
But yeah, while I'm sure Black Friday shopping will be a thing in Japan (as well as in the rest of the world), the reason Black Friday is notable in the States is that it is the single biggest day for consumer spending in the whole year. That's because it coincides with an American holiday; other countries around the world have their own shopping days tied into their own holidays, I doubt Black Friday will ever become a "thing" there beyond just being a notable shopping day.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Personal experience, but from completely different side of the pond (Netherlands), the Lite does very little. The Black Friday sale we had, we sold over 150 Switch over two days, and a total of three Lite's.
Not surprising since the main attraction of the Switch is that you can play on the go and on TV if the Switch were a simple handheld it could have been the first portable Nintendo bomb

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
high-end
/hʌɪˈɛnd/
adjective

1. denoting the most expensive of a range of products.
    "high-end computers"
The regular Switch is the Standard model - not the Lite. It's the Switch and the functionality we had since Day 1 - a lower budget handheld only revision didn't suddenly make the standard Switch a high end Revision.

The n3DS XL wasn't the standard 3DS but a late one of multiple revisions released years after the initial launch of the OG 3DS.

When comparing price development of consoles you usually take the standard model of said console and its development.

It's not a big deal and not worth getting hung up about - just wouldn't use the n3DS XL as comparison point.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. If I didn't own any of the current consoles I wouldn't buy a PS4 or XB1 right now as they're being replaced in 12 months. Switch has a few years left so it's the right investment.

Mar 27, 2018
Call me a salty Wii U owner, but I love that the competition is feeling long in the tooth, meanwhile Nintendo bundles a 2014 game with their console.

I say this as someone who bought Mario Kart 8 Deluxe the day it came out though, hypocritical

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nice.

Remember when most of these same people bought an overpriced Wii tablet for $349, and then $300, that couldn't push 1080/60 resolution games and had New Super Mario Bros U as the only new exclusive for almost a year? Then made disingenuous arguments about how that tablet is better than the Switch because of VC games that were also on older systems that were cheaper, and because it took 3 years to get a respectable library of 5-6 games that the Switch has ported most of, in almost half the time?

Good times.

giphy.gif

I don't think Wii U buyers were the ones bagging on the Switch...

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

I don't think Wii U buyers were the ones bagging on the Switch...
He is right...there were plenty of salty WiiU owners during the Switch launch period. They were upset that people would get to play some of these games in better versions without having to invest into the failure of the WiiU.

lol

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was afraid someone may take this the wrong way, I wasn't trying to compare the consoles as products, my point was that more important than price is how hot something is and right now the other two consoles are on their way out while Switch is on its prime. In terms of demand.

But the PS4 was also in its prime then no? Just because the Switch was newer doesn't negate that. It got Fortnite, HZD, the best selling FIFA of the gen (19), GoW, MHW, Spider-Man etc.

If that's not hot and in demand I don't know what is.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No arguing that. I think the discussion was about this year.

Oh the way I read Oregano's comment was referring to all of the quote-on-quote concerns of the Switch prior to its launch. Back then the idea of hot new product vs soon to be obsolete products was obviously not in discussion.

It's worth bringing up for this year I guess but I agree with the users who have already pointed out that the system is clearly selling well by its own merits.

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personal experience, but from completely different side of the pond (Netherlands), the Lite does very little. The Black Friday sale we had, we sold over 150 Switch over two days, and a total of three Lite's.

eh, here it had good deals like 170€ for the lite and it seemed to do very well. Specially with kids/women/more casual gamers

Oct 25, 2017
You must be new here 😊 They are literally the number one critics of the Switch here...the bitter, day one WiiU buyer alliance is strong!
He's not new though, that said, who you're talking about was like a blip. Bitter Wii U owners mostly never are delusional enough to say the Wii U was better, just that they got shafted.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh the way I read Oregano's comment was referring to all of the quote-on-quote concerns of the Switch prior to its launch. Back then the idea of hot new product vs soon to be obsolete products was obviously not in discussion.

It's worth bringing up for this year I guess but I agree with the users who have already pointed out that the system is clearly selling well by its own merits.

Yeah, I was speaking about how people expecting Switch to be DOA because the value proposition of 2017 PS4/XBO was so much better.

You must be new here 😊 They are literally the number one critics of the Switch here...the bitter, day one WiiU buyer alliance is strong!

I'm definitely not, I must just automatically ignore such obvious buffoonery.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I was speaking about how people expecting Switch to be DOA because the value proposition of 2017 PS4/XBO was so much better.

I'm definitely not, I must just automatically ignore such obvious buffoonery.
I wasn't being literal, was using the idiom/expression/whatever it's called, it's all good.

He's not new though, that said, who you're talking about was like a blip. Bitter Wii U owners mostly never are delusional enough to say the Wii U was better, just that they got shafted.

I can point you into the direction of a few recent threads.

I mean how can the Switch be better than the WiiU, it doesn't have Netflix or VC games. /s

Dec 2, 2017

Right now the Lite just isn't a great value proposition compared to the regular Switch. Its potential gets unlocked when they can get the price under $200 and hit the young families, impulse buyers and grandma buying presents for 8 year olds demos.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
Not even surprising. PS5 and new xbox coming out next year, so Switch is gonna be on top for now.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
More like a newer device stays ahead of one that's in its later years. It'd be a bigger news story if the PS4 was still coming out on top.

That said, the very fact that it's even in this discussion like that is a testament to just how much of a beast the current gen PlayStation has been!
Oooh. Look at this saucy spin doctor right here.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Gotta love the insecurity coming from Sony fans most of all. All their fucking consoles that aren't Vita have sold amazingly well.

What are you threatened by?

Sony gets all the ports and all the biggest mainstream games like EA Sports games. They're sittin' pretty right now.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece

You are probably correct, because of the topic I thought this was referring to the BF deals.

Jul 26, 2018
And they were first without even discounting the hardware, Nintendo is gonna sustain expensive hardware and software prices for a while... in the meantime MS and Sony keep selling their stuff cheaper to get us into their online subscription model... is Nintendo gaming's Apple?