• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Not particularly surprising. Hard to find new people to buy your home console system when you're already over 100 million sold.
I find it pretty incredible that the PS4 has maintained a $299 official price point this long. They could definitely drop it to $199 to give it another boost but I think Sony is content with sales at that price point.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Honestly I feel like Switch and PS4 will end up almost identically as successful as one another and they both bloody deserve it. Gaming is great right now.
Yup. Sony and Nintendo put in the legwork, and they're being rewarded by the market.
Given the great quality of games you can find on both systems, I don't get why anyone would feel threatened at the prospect of either system doing well. But then, that's console fanboyism for you.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People in here pretending the Switch is only successful in comparison to aging platforms when it's doing as well as they did at the same point.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
People in here pretending the Switch is only successful in comparison to aging platforms when it's doing as well as they did at the same point.

But see, it wouldn't be doing as well as they were at this point in their life if it wasn't up against an aging PS4 and Xbox One!

/s

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I feel like Switch and PS4 will end up almost identically as successful as one another and they both bloody deserve it. Gaming is great right now.
I feel like in the end Switch will sell more in the two biggest national markets (US and Japan) while PS4 still sells more globally overall.

not really silly. I can tell you Black Friday results in larger order volume for most major online retailers
Well yes, if they're selling to Americans.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
"can't wait for ps5 and scarlet, they'll be awesome to sell our games in the west"

Unfortunately... That's true. It will be very funny to see in two years Nintendo sitting on 80m+ Switches sold with zero third party support left except maybe Marvelous. Nintendo is not a real gaming platform to third parties like the other two, regardless of their hardware sales.

Prove me wrong, Capcom, Square, Sega, Namco, Ubisoft, Activision, Kotec and 2K. Please. Prove me wrong.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But see, it wouldn't be doing as well as they were at this point in their life if it wasn't up against an aging PS4 and Xbox One!

/s

Remember when the $300 Switch had no chance of competing with the cheaper consoles, which had bigger libraries?

Remember when the Switch story was exhausted?

Good times.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Unfortunately... That's true. It will be very funny to see in two years Nintendo sitting on 80m+ Switches sold with zero third party support left except maybe Marvelous. Nintendo is not a real gaming platform to third parties like the other two, regardless of their hardware sales.

Prove me wrong, Capcom, Square, Sega, Namco, Ubisoft, Activision, Kotec and 2K. Please. Prove me wrong.
We can and should cut Square, Tecmo, and 2K some slack, their Switch support has been great.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Japan has finally began adopting the Black Friday (and Cyber Monday) branding in many major shops. I think it's a combination of greater awareness of the event and the growing number of tourists visiting the country.

I give it 5 years before it's a full-on thing in Japan.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Why not? It was going to continue to sell big anyway, especially with mainline Pokémon now here bringing untapped masses that might have not gotten before. Throw in the $200 light version that makes it even more enticing, plus pulling in repeat customers who might want the more handheld friendly SKU as an option, and this thing is big.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Japan has finally began adopting the Black Friday (and Cyber Monday) branding in many major shops. I think it's a combination of greater awareness of the event and the growing number of tourists visiting the country.

one thing that has surprised me is countries where Black Friday wasn't a thing electing to observe Black Friday over cyber Monday. Of course, in some areas like Japan, people tend to still choose retail stores over online retailers with a lot of retailers having options to pay for online orders in cash at convenience stores.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
We can and should cut Square, Tecmo, and 2K some slack, their Switch support has been great.

Yes but there's no evidence that their support will continue in 2020. All the reports are saying both Square and 2K has some big projects for next gen consoles and makes one think they have nothing further for Switch. Of course, it's still early to say anything but it's not looking too bright. PS5 and Scarlet could kill all the third party support for Switch just like PS4 and Xbox One did to Wii U and Switch's record hardware sales cannot do anything about it.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Yes but there's no evidence that their support will continue in 2020. All the reports are saying both Square and 2K has some big projects for next gen consoles and makes one think they have nothing further for Switch. Of course, it's still early to say anything but it's not looking too bright. PS5 and Scarlet could kill all the third party support for Switch just like PS4 and Xbox One did to Wii U and Switch's record hardware sales cannot do anything about it.
We can't start shitting on pubs based on the assumption that they might do something, lol, that's absurd.
Take Two has consistently said that their Switch projects have overperformed and exceeded expectations, and they will continue to put games on there. There's no reason to suspect otherwise.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

i mean anyone who expected it to seriously keep up with current gen new releases was delusional

but looking at it compared to the Wii U and Wii, it's pretty cool to see a Nintendo system have a buttload of mainline Resident Evils, Final Fantasies, Devil May Crys as well as western ports you wouldnve never expected like Witcher 3, Skyrim. Plus we have the first three Crash and Spyro games on a Nintendo system.

People overlook that and write them off as "just old ports!" but Nintendo never even got those before. And again, it's either the massive backlog of old ports from the entire history of gaming or.... the small amount of big new releases many of which aren't feasible for the system.

The amount of old games that could be ported to the system DRASTICALLY outnumbers the amount of new ones. Of course we'll get more. There's 5 other gens to pull from.

Kind of a tangent there, but my main point is - old ports count as third party support and many of them have been a great addition to the library given never being on a Nintendo system before and portability.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Global players like Amazon are pushing Black Friday and Cybermonday in every market they operate - hasnt been a US only thing for years.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if they'll drop the price when Animal Crossing hits.
There are technically always some price promotion around this time of the year with retailer gift cards and such.

I feel like Nintendo is going to hold prices until the next Switch model replacing the core Switch SKU is released

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. Order volumes can double or triple for major western markets outside of the us .

increase by about 50% or less for Asia/Pacific market places.
That's cute. Meanwhile in the US, currently the largest consumer market on Earth, volumes generally increase several times that and American consumers are expected to spend well over $7B this year.

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo got my money this year, and I haven't bought a Nintendo system since the original Gameboy. The kids really wanted to play Super Smash Bros, Zelda and Mario Kart. Switch will be around for a few more years whereas I can wait another year to see Sony and Microsoft's next gen offerings.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

I mean it is a definate factor of XB1's(and especially PS4's) slowing sales...although Switch is still successful in its own right. PS4 was also a success. We should kind of just leave it at that rather than playing console wars about it like some people are trying to. There's no reason to get antsy about people bringing a definite factor up.

Congrats to Nintendo regardless, Switch is a huge turnaround compared to Wii U, and i am waiting to pick one up myself

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I mean it is a definate factor of XB1's(and especially PS4's) slowing sales...although Switch is still successful in its own right. PS4 was also a success. We should kind of just leave it at that rather than playing console wars about it. There's no reason to get antsy about people bringing a definite factor up.

Congrats to Nintendo regardless, Switch is a huge turnaround compared to Wii U, and i am waiting to pick one up myself
I mean if that is a factor, then the non-existent competition for PS4 (Wii U and XB1???) was a factor for its sales, too.
We can do this all day, for every system ever. Nothing sells in a vacuum. But what is the point?

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
Not a huge shock, and I think Nintendo's success is well-earned. It's just an inventive and very different console that's appealing to a lot of people. I probably game on the Switch less than any other platform, but I love the system and it fills a unique niche.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
PS5 and Scarlet could kill all the third party support for Switch just like PS4 and Xbox One did to Wii U and Switch's record hardware sales cannot do anything about it.

Eh, I think you will still get multiplats and rereleases that target Switch and are ported up to PS5/Scarlet. The AAA stuff will definitely skip Switch unless it gets some kind of cloud streaming support, but AA titles especially focused on the Japanese market? I see that stuff finding a comfortable home on Switch.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
i mean anyone who expected it to seriously keep up with current gen new releases was delusional

but looking at it compared to the Wii U and Wii, it's pretty cool to see a Nintendo system have a buttload of mainline Resident Evils, Final Fantasies, Devil May Crys as well as western ports you wouldnve never expected like Witcher 3, Skyrim. Plus we have the first three Crash and Spyro games on a Nintendo system.

People overlook that and write them off as "just old ports!" but Nintendo never even got those before. And again, it's either the massive backlog of old ports from the entire history of gaming or.... the small amount of big new releases many of which aren't feasible for the system.

The amount of old games that could be ported to the system DRASTICALLY outnumbers the amount of new ones. Of course we'll get more. There's 5 other gens to pull from.

Kind of a tangent there, but my main point is - old ports count as third party support and many of them have been a great addition to the library given never being on a Nintendo system before and portability.

I can't speak for anyone here, but I LOVE old ports. Even the Alien Isolation releasing this week is a huge deal for me. But the question is, will the third parties even bother releasing old ports in the future? Final Fantasy's, Devil May Cry's and Resident Evil's, will we get more of them in the future or will Capcom and Square completely forget about Switch when the new guys are out? I really want to say "They indeed will" but I can't it's really an unpredictable future. It's straight up impossible to predict their actions. I want stuff like FF13 trilogy, KH 1.5+2.5, DMC4 and DmC, GTA5 and Bioshock games on Switch more than anyone, but I can't say for sure they will happen.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

In a lot of European countries, retailers are trying to make Black Friday a thing as well since a couple of years, with varying success. Don't get your hopes up too high yet.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if that is a factor, then the non-existent competition for PS4 (Wii U and XB1???) was a factor for its sales, too.
We can do this all day, for every system ever. Nothing sells in a vacuum. But what is the point?
Well said. People tend to forget that the PS4 was up against two of the biggest marketing disasters in the home console market since the Sega Saturn for at least three years.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it is a definate factor of XB1's(and especially PS4's) slowing sales...although Switch is still successful in its own right. PS4 was also a success. We should kind of just leave it at that rather than playing console wars about it like some people are trying to. There's no reason to get antsy about people bringing a definite factor up.

If someone were to suggest in the future that the PS5 is only succeeding because the Switch is old they would be rightly ridiculed. That's basically all I'm saying.
Eh, I think you will still get multiplats and rereleases that target Switch and are ported up to PS5/Scarlet. The AAA stuff will definitely skip Switch unless it gets some kind of cloud streaming support, but AA titles especially focused on the Japanese market? I see that stuff finding a comfortable home on Switch.

Those games aren't even at home on Switch right now...

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

But neither of those were at the tail end of their lives(or atleast intentionally so in regards to wii u)....the entire factor is slowing sales due to PS4 and XB1 being only a year off from being put out to pasture, as is the case with most consoles that have ever existed.

How would PS4 doing well against services that launched at the same time or a year off be anywhere near the same as 3 or 4 years apart?

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know what you mean by "deals like that". I'm just talking about a discount, not bundling in a 5 year old game that I already owned on Wii U. Like if they would have sold it for even $80 off without the game, I might have been swayed. I've owned every Nintendo console and handheld since the NES, except for the N64, so if I'm not the target customer, I'm really not sure who is.

If you bought a WiiU, a system that was never worth it at any price until it was deep-discounted after the Switch launched... then don't say you care about deals so hard. Most Nintendo first party games are currently $20 off, and in the past it took roughly the same amount of time for Nintendo to drop prices.

Pretty sure Nintendo isn't marketing Black Friday sales to people that paid for the WiiU or even know what that is.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
If someone were to suggest in the future that the PS5 is only succeeding because the Switch is old they would be rightly ridiculed. That's basically all I'm saying.

I mean, for that PS5 analogy to work, you would first have to prove that people are saying switch itself is selling well because PS4 and XB1 are long in the tooth, and not that XB1 and PS4 sales are slowing because they are long in the tooth. two completely different things your talking about to add up to Switch being a big winner on black friday.

Switch and the other two consoles could all benefit, but PS4 and XB1 are clearly lagging behind, and its partly to do with their ages. that is the entire point

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
But neither of those were at the tail end of their lives(or atleast intentionally so in regards to wii u)....the entire factor is slowing sales due to PS4 and XB1 being only a year off from being put out to pasture, as is the case with most consoles that have ever existed.

How would PS4 doing well against services that launched at the same time or a year off be anywhere near the same as 3 or 4 years apart?
Why is "end of life" a factor but two "complete failures that were market non-entities" not?
PS4 practically had the market to itself from the middle of 2014 through to 2017, when Nintendo resurged with the Switch, and Microsoft finally started to salvage Xbox One. The lack of competition was as much a factor for the PS4's early success as it is for the Switch, more so in fact.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Someone will still frame it as a disappointment.

For sure but even if the Switch magically stopped selling after the current Fiscal Year and ended at around 55 million consoles it would still be a massive success. They made money with every single console sold and they sold a ton of software.