• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just think it's tough to ask landlords who may be struggling themselves to shoulder the burden our government should be taking on. I can't imagine any landlord feels good about throwing people on the street. You all make a good point that they might not get that money from a new tenant but I don't want to judge them for trying.

I saw a response to this story where a landlord pointed out that a tenant might not have been paying before covid and can now have rent deferred till next year. What happens to the landlord's finances in that scenario? Watching the video, I know I'd never make it in real estate cos I'd go broke before I kicked struggling families (especially with little kids or an old lady out on the street)

Maybe the landlord should have "saved up for a rainy day" like they tell all the tenants that if they have lived there long enough have paid the entire value of the house.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Horrible to watch but it needs to be seen. Very very depressing especially for the guy working and still not making enough to survive.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Housing markets, even in this time of crisis, can still be quite tight. I rent out my old house, and have not collected rent from the current renters since May. I can absorb this, but it sucks. It is an investment and I have no problem with it losing money at the moment.

Last week they let me know that they are moving out and heading to CO where they have family and work lined up. I listed the house for rent three days ago and have had over a dozen people reach out to tour the house.

That said, this situation is terrible and the government needs to be doing more to help people.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I just think it's tough to ask landlords who may be struggling themselves to shoulder the burden our government should be taking on. I can't imagine any landlord feels good about throwing people on the street. You all make a good point that they might not get that money from a new tenant but I don't want to judge them for trying.

I saw a response to this story where a landlord pointed out that a tenant might not have been paying before covid and can now have rent deferred till next year. What happens to the landlord's finances in that scenario? Watching the video, I know I'd never make it in real estate cos I'd go broke before I kicked struggling families (especially with little kids or an old lady out on the street)
Just reading the responses in here it's funny that all landlords are trash humans now. They're not all millionaires.

My opinion is renters need to be given time to catch up on rent. They shouldn't be allowed 6 months then be kicked out and also be expected to pay the full amount. This is a lose lose situation. The renters won't pay. The landlords (SOME) won't be able to afford 6 months without rent. And banks won't give landlords 6 months to pay up. Your property taxes won't be stopped for 6 months.

Landlords should give tenants a lot of time to catch up on rent. but to expect them to be obligated to hand over their properties for free for 6 months is absurd.

People are constantly complaining and then supporting capitalism.

make up your mind

do you support capitalism
Or is it evil?

Your new RTX 3080, PS5 and XSX are probably assembled by slaves in China. FYI

Last edited:

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Landlords as a group aren't known for their business acumen, it's not an industry that requires a lot of skill or knowledge. Go check out their subreddit if you wanna be really mad and also see their stupidity.

Dear lord, they have a subreddit? ...sigh, of fucking course they do. I'd check it out, but... I don't want to raise my blood pressure so early in the morning. Well, anymore than it HAS already been raised, at least.

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
This reality is so damn depressing. Our governments, both state and federal, have completely failed us.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see how landlord's are being made the villain here. They have a mortgage and/or property tax and that isn't getting waived or deferred. Government should be bailing them out as a way to help tenants

Yeah a lot of times landlords get seen as being these super wealthy people that could totally make it without this income, but not all of them are rich. And the system is failing them too. The blame rarely makes its way all the way to the top where it belongs.

Maybe the landlord should have "saved up for a rainy day" like they tell all the tenants that if they have lived there long enough have paid the entire value of the house.

Im sure I dont really need to say this... But not all Landlords own the property outright. Many of them stayed in that place beforehand, used what equity they had built in it to get enough of a loan to get into a new place and are renting the old one and do not own it. This is just insisting on turning a bunch of people in similar situations against each other. Not every landlord owns the property or has a truckload of equity in the property they are renting to fall back on. Now if they do, shame on them for not doing what they can. But not all landlords are just living it up.

That being said, shit like this is why I was never interested in direct investments in real estate like that. I don't want a piece of my livelihood tied to situations like this under any circumstance. It pains the heart to see these people suffer this shit. I couldnt stand it.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how things work in the US but the general vibe I'm getting from Era is that American landlords are all essentially mean scrooges and tenants have no rights at all.

I'm a landlord and was willing to negotiate a temporary reduction in rent payments with my tenants to help them out during covid. The government where I'm from also had a grant in place for landlords to receive a $1000 payment which helped cover some of the losses. I'm out a small amount of money, the tenants are happy and the bank ultimately gets their money.
I am a landlord too and there are definitely some decent landlords out there too. Most tenants I have dealt with have been good people but there have been some real scumbags too. Its the same with landlords. I think most are decent but there are some real pieces of shit too.

This is just a way to build equity for me but if its your only source of income and you have huge mortgages on the properties I can see the stress from the landlords side too. The banks won't cut you a break so you can't cut your tenants a break and everyone gets fucked.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I'd let them stay under the current circumstances, but I would probably have to suspend any maintenance/repairs unless deemed essential (for life and limb).

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Most landlords do not give a shit about evicting tenants, that's why you are seeing all these evictions right now despite the pandemic. There aren't enough renters to make up the lost revenue from all these evictions so the decision to evict right now doesn't even make ruthless business sense. If you look at forums/groups were landlords talk, dehumanization of tenants is extremely common.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Just reading the responses in here it's funny that all landlords are trash humans now. They're not all millionaires.

My opinion is renters need to be given time to catch up on rent. They shouldn't be allowed 6 months then be kicked out and also be expected to pay the full amount. This is a lose lose situation. The renters won't pay. The landlords (SOME) won't be able to afford 6 months without rent. And banks won't give landlords 6 months to pay up. Your property taxes won't be stopped for 6 months.

Landlords should give tenants a lot of time to catch up on rent. but to expect them to be obligated to hand over their properties for free for 6 months is absurd.

People are constantly complaining and then supporting capitalism.

make up your mind

do you support capitalism
Or is it evil?

Your new RTX 3080, PS5 and XSX are probably assembled by slaves in China. FYI

I never understood about the 'U guys r being mean to landlords'.

There are absolutely shit tenants who do property damage, get over on the system, etc.
But the power dynamic is firmly in the landlord's favor, and I can fill up this post of stories of outright destructive landlords. Hell, my fiance sent me one this morning because she had dealings with some of their businesses as a retailer where they were extremely shady.

www.thecut.com

The Eco–Yogi Slumlords of Brooklyn

How did a couple who built an empire of yoga studios, vegan restaurants, and homes with “living walls” end up as pandemic villains?

Also, the argument that 'capitalism or not!' is kind of a silly one considering what we have in the US really isn't Capitalism. The problem is the renter/landlord relationship is automatically a parasitic one, particularly since many are unfairly locked out of the homeownership market.

And finally, there are PLENTY of good landlords. But I don't think they would be hit dogging in a post like this, lol. So it's weird to see the defense force pop out.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dear lord, they have a subreddit? ...sigh, of fucking course they do. I'd check it out, but... I don't want to raise my blood pressure so early in the morning. Well, anymore than it HAS already been raised, at least.
Don't look at it unless you want to be super angry at how cruel people can be. I think people are generally decent, but being a landlord (particularly a big landlord with many properties) has a corrupting effect on otherwise decent people due to the power differential and them seeing tenants only as places to suck money from.

Housing is a necessity, should be a human right, the extreme commodification of even a basic level of housing is morally bankrupt.
no, but a full on rent and mortgage freeze would stop this, easily.
Freezing mortgages AND rent? Sure, but that's directly helping out tenants which is good.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017

There are absolutely shit tenants who do property damage, get over on the system, etc.
But the power dynamic is firmly in the landlord's favor, and I can fill up this post of stories of outright destructive landlords. Hell, my fiance sent me one this morning because she had dealings with some of their businesses as a retailer where they were extremely shady.

www.thecut.com

How did a couple who built an empire of yoga studios, vegan restaurants, and homes with “living walls” end up as pandemic villains?

Also, the argument that 'capitalism or not!' is kind of a silly one considering what we have in the US really isn't Capitalism. The problem is the renter/landlord relationship is automatically a parasitic one, particularly since many are unfairly locked out of the homeownership market.

And finally, there are PLENTY of good landlords. But I don't think they would be hit dogging in a post like this, lol. So it's weird to see the defense force pop out.
There is no denying this exists and is real.

Im standing up for middle class landlords who do their job. I'm clear about this.

These people exist. They keep up with their home and work hard.

This situation with 6 months deferred rent is going to be a disaster for everyone because both parties will have bills. Rich landlords can get by fine. Tenants are going to owe this money and be in debt.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

www.thecut.com

The power imbalance is so massive that idk how anyone can jump to the defense of landlords, especially landlords whose sole income is being a landlord. If you have like one property and rent like 4 units out and have a full time job or w/e then most of the criticisms don't even apply to you.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no denying this exists and is real.

Im standing up for middle class landlords who do their job. I'm clear about this.

These people exist. They keep up with their home and work hard.

This situation with 6 months deferred rent is going to be a disaster for everyone because both parties will have bills. Rich landlords can get by fine. Tenants are going to owe this money and be in debt.
A lot of middle class landlords are shit too. The system incentivizes landlords to be shitty. There are certainly some landlords who don't suck, but they aren't evicting tenants in the middle of a pandemic so they aren't the subject of this thread.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
The worst part is that so many seem content with doling out eviction bans without any sort of relief measure.
More or less a guarantee that folks, already unable to make rent, will be saddled with unpayable debts once they're lifted.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
I don't know how things work in the US but the general vibe I'm getting from Era is that American landlords are all essentially mean scrooges and tenants have no rights at all.

I'm a landlord and was willing to negotiate a temporary reduction in rent payments with my tenants to help them out during covid. The government where I'm from also had a grant in place for landlords to receive a $1000 payment which helped cover some of the losses. I'm out a small amount of money, the tenants are happy and the bank ultimately gets their money.

If there's any slack that can be provided towards the landlords, it's the fact that many aren't being helped by local or federal governments. The only things I could negotiate with my landlady was that she was going to waive all late fees with my rent and that she would not raise the rent for the duration of the pandemic. However, she tells (and verified) that the city isn't giving her any sort of break on her property taxes. So, as she tells it, if the city were to have waived property taxes for any month then that would be reflected in the rent she would be asking for. Further, while Trump currently is attempting to enact some executive orders to temporarily stop evictions, there's nothing within the language of any of those orders regarding monies being allocated to those landlords (or the tenants) to make up for that lost cash.

Therefore, while the landlords may not be able to evict someone for the time being, when the order is lifted they can come before the tenants and demand all the back pay at once and be evicted then. Which will be shitty since the landlords at that point would know that their tenants weren't working and weren't able to come up with the money, and now instead of say needing to pay $1000 for a month they'll need to come up with say $4000 all at once or risk being kicked out.

The entire situation is fucked, and certainly isn't helped by state and federal authorities, but the landlords themselves don't really have any interest in trying to find some sort of amicable solutions themselves and would rather just take people immediately to eviction court.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of middle class landlords are shit too. The system incentivizes landlords to be shitty. There are certainly some landlords who don't suck, but they aren't evicting tenants in the middle of a pandemic so they aren't the subject of this thread.
There needs to be a ban on evictions and also a freeze of mortgage / taxes on rentals.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
If there's any slack that can be provided towards the landlords, it's the fact that many aren't being helped by local or federal governments. The only things I could negotiate with my landlady was that she was going to waive all late fees with my rent and that she would not raise the rent for the duration of the pandemic. However, she tells (and verified) that the city isn't giving her any sort of break on her property taxes. So, as she tells it, if the city were to have waived property taxes for any month then that would be reflected in the rent she would be asking for. Further, while Trump currently is attempting to enact some executive orders to temporarily stop evictions, there's nothing within the language of any of those orders regarding monies being allocated to those landlords (or the tenants) to make up for that lost cash.

Therefore, while the landlords may not be able to evict someone for the time being, when the order is lifted they can come before the tenants and demand all the back pay at once and be evicted then. Which will be shitty since the landlords at that point would know that their tenants weren't working and weren't able to come up with the money, and now instead of say needing to pay $1000 for a month they'll need to come up with say $4000 all at once or risk being kicked out.

The entire situation is fucked, and certainly isn't helped by state and federal authorities, but the landlords themselves don't really have any interest in trying to find some sort of amicable solutions themselves and would rather just take people immediately to eviction court.
this is what I am getting at

you would see many landlords who are not assholes become much more flexible if the govt was working. Property taxes are huge and there needs to be mortgage and property tax help for landlords.

It's awful to evict people. But what do you want some landlords to do? Lose their home? It's more complicated than all landlords are rich people who are assholes and want their tenants to be homeless.

6 months deferred payments is going to lead to more debt for renters. This is another looming disaster.

Last edited:

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
its the only way to do it, what good is rent freeze if the owenr defaults and the bank comes to repossess/foreclose.
Bingo.

If you gonna freeze rents you have to freeze mortgages. If you're renting a property out and no rent is coming in, but the mortgage on property is still due, then eventually when YOU stop making payments, the bank will just take the property. Why without a mortgage freeze a rent freeze will be pointless. Of course not all landlords have mortgages, so those who don't, a rent freeze won't affect but most of them don't outright own anything.

And deferments are dumb and will only ensure people end up evicted. If they can't come up with one month's rent, how the fuck will they come up with 6, or 12 at once? Balloon payments on someone unemployed doesn't work.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There needs to be a ban on evictions and also a freeze of mortgage / taxes on rentals.
its the only way to do it, what good is rent freeze if the owenr defaults and the bank comes to repossess/foreclose.
I agree, but there isn't a rent or mortgage freeze right now, and it's not acceptable to evict tenants in the middle of a pandemic even if the government HASN'T done a mortgage freeze. I agree they should do it, but the absence of a mortgage freeze doesn't change the fact that these landlords are evicting people during a pandemic and doing that is fucked

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Damn. I didn't think it would be national news, but here's the just of it.

www.texastribune.org

As eviction cases resume in parts of Houston, low-income Texans fear losing a place to live

Since Gov. Greg Abbott declared a public health disaster in March, almost one-third of Harris County's evictions have been filed in the justice of the peace precinct covering the southwestern portion of the county.

Court evictions are controlled by the Justice of the Peace most of them in the county are slowing down evictions, but one section has basically made it business as usual. They happen to take care of some of the most vulnerable people of the southwest portion of the city. You can take a wild guess which political party they're affiliated with.

One's up for election this year, the other ran unopposed in 2018.

Deleted member 23381

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
land lords are cunts, ours had the audacity to offer a ÂŁ100.00 rental increase for our tenancy agreement renewal which would normally happen in November. It's not a big deal since there's plenty of places available right now and I've been umming and ahing about buying these past few months but still. I didn't even dignify them with a response, the sheer audacity of asking for that in the current climate. Even if they walk back on it I have zero interest in staying on with them now.

Thinking of just buying a place so I don't have to deal with these dickheads.

Last edited:

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe they should be a subject of this thread though.

What happens when their generosity runs out because they can no longer afford to freeze or cut payments? They either A: Sell to another buyer for pennies on the dollar, or go back to charging the tenant. Either way, the tenant loses longterm. The only way both sides win is from a mortgage freeze that allows the landlord to actually be the nice guy.

There was a thread a while back where a poster commented how they became a landlord around the time right before the pandemic, and had felt obligated to freeze rent because they wanted to be nice, but they couldn't afford to do it long term. At what point do you say I need help as a land lord as much as you need help as a tenant? At some point the tenant is going to have to be evicted, whether it's at the hands of the land lord or the bank after they buy the property from the landlord who can no longer afford it.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What happens when their generosity runs out because they can no longer afford to freeze or cut payments? They either A: Sell to another buyer for pennies on the dollar, or go back to charging the tenant. Either way, the tenant loses longterm. The only way both sides win is from a mortgage freeze that allows the landlord to actually be the nice guy.

There was a thread a while back where a poster commented how they became a landlord around the time right before the pandemic, and had felt obligated to freeze rent because they wanted to be nice, but they couldn't afford to do it long term. At what point do you say I need help as a land lord as much as you need help as a tenant? At some point the tenant is going to have to be evicted, whether it's at the hands of the land lord or the bank after they buy the property from the landlord who can no longer afford it.
I already said there should be a mortgage freeze, so what's your point? I'm aware of the conditions you are talking about. At the end of the day, the landlord is ALWAYS in a better position than the tenant. The landlord stands to lose their investment; the tenant stands to lose their only shelter. Doing business has risks, one of the risks of getting involved in real estate/landlording as a business is that you are subject to the fluctuations of the market. Sometimes you lose money, that's business. Nothing justifies evicting tenants in these conditions.

I care more about people not being left homeless than I do about the investments and profits of landlords. Imo, everyone else should too.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

Say it with me... Trickle down does not work.

Rent/mortgage freezes are not the solution to this problem at best they stall things a bit, but it will come tumbling down. In the worst case scenario, a landlord will reap all of the benefits while still demanding back-rent or some other fuckery in fees or something down the line.

Give people their unemployment money, give people stimulus money. Give everyone in this country a UBI till the pandemic is over (and then listen to the populace when they want it voted in permanently afterwards).

Money is far more valuable in an economy when it's moving.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017

Rent/mortgage freezes are not the solution to this problem at best they stall things a bit, but it will come tumbling down. In the worst case scenario, a landlord will reap all of the benefits while still demanding back-rent or some other fuckery in fees or something down the line.

Give people their unemployment money, give people stimulus money. Give everyone in this country a UBI till the pandemic is over (and then listen to the populace when they want it voted in permanently afterwards).

this is correct

unfortunately some people see this as some form of 'socialism' / dole-outs

Oct 29, 2017
I don't see how landlord's are being made the villain here. They have a mortgage and/or property tax and that isn't getting waived or deferred. Government should be bailing them out as a way to help tenants

What's to stop them from taking the bailout and still requiring tenants to pay rent?

If you boost up the tenants they'll be able to pay rent to the landlords, who will be able to pay their mortgages/property taxes/etc. Trickle down does not work, trickle up does.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
And landlords but they have bills too so you can't really blame them. Man....

Abolish landlords

landlords are fucking parasites that produce no labor, and deliver no goods. All they do is use their capital to purchase homes, driving up prices, and rent those out (usually with less then ideal arrangements for the rentee).

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Preach

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
I feel for anyone going thru this.

land lords are cunts, ours had the audacity to offer a ÂŁ100.00 rental increase for our tenancy agreement renewal which would normally happen in November. It's not a big deal since there's plenty of places available right now and I've been umming and ahing about buying these past few months but still. I didn't even dignify them with a response, the sheer audacity of asking for that in the current climate. Even if they walk back on it I have zero interest in staying on with them now.

Thinking of just buying a place so I don't have to deal with these dickheads.

You and I are in a similar situation then my friend, and I could not have said it any better than this. Landlord, by the by, are greedy, insensitive fucks.

My landlord yesterday asked in a wishy washy/ pathetic manner if I wouldn't mind if he raised the rent immediately by $50. I told him no, then he tried to negotiate the increase to $25, I again told him no. He left. I then did my homework and found out that the most he could raise my rent was 2.2% of what my rent was, which is $16.50, and to give me 3+ months notice. I shit you not, a few hours later he showed up and gave me a legal written letter stating that he had increased my rent by..... $16.50 and had given me 3+ notice until the new rent price kicks in. The sheer audacity of trying to fuck me over in this current climate fully knowing what he was asking for wasn't legal - dickhead is right.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck landlords. Parasitic class pretending they're the real victims.

Fuck capitalism. The commodification of human survival is evil.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can't go around blaming landlords, that's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If you are going to ban evictions then you have to provide relief for landlords.

Sure, everyone stops paying there rent. Now how is the landlord supposed to pay the utilities and his or her mortage payment? If they fail to make either the city and or the bank will evict everyone when they take the property away.

Some of the people on this fucking forum don't live in the real world.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
As a person that has been evicted...this fucking hurts to watch. I just hope they have someone they can rely on: if it wasn't for my grandmother I don't know what we would've done

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
this is what I am getting at

you would see many landlords who are not assholes become much more flexible if the govt was working. Property taxes are huge and there needs to be mortgage and property tax help for landlords.

It's awful to evict people. But what do you want some landlords to do? Lose their home? It's more complicated than all landlords are rich people who are assholes and want their tenants to be homeless.

6 months deferred payments is going to lead to more debt for renters. This is another looming disaster.

Deferred payments means that rent will still come but at a later date no? Why wouldn't land lords then do an equity loan to cover the six month gap? Generally landlords have equity that can be tapped during this downturn while renters have less. How are owners more at risk than renters?

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

Fuck em. Don't be a parasite if you don't want it to bite you in the ass someday. Actually build something instead.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Been evicted twice as a kid. It's one of the worst experiences I've ever had. To the point now that I'm older, I'm still terrified of it.

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
Commodifying and profiting off of a basic human need is disgraceful. Housing must become free and numerous.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
It is unlikely that landlords would want to evict tenants in the current climate unless as last resort. The reason being that the rental market is unstable and undesirable in big cities right now. It is a process to replace tenants and that in itself can induce lost income. A steady tenant that is a bit behind on rent would be preferable. But if a tenant completely misses 2-3 rent payments or more, quickly landlord will have a sizable pile of overdue mortgage and tax. Who is going to pay that?