• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 31, 2018
A person I used to be friends with is super excited about working from home since her employer has remote work positions. It's a big company. Will she still be required? I'd love it if so lol

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Not in the US but this is great. Next mandatory national ID's (aka the vaccine passports) that can't be counterfeited or sold by doctors for $10 on the side should be implemented and required to enter any public transportation systems and shopping areas / other venues where people congregate. The workplace requirements are a good start but for their safety and the safety of others unvaccinated people should not be allowed in such venues. But one step at a time and I fear even this will have a hurdle to go through in courts.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
How are unvaccinated people not an active threat to others? The virus can and does spread asymptomatically all the time, and it can be a huge threat to immunocompromised individuals. The testing portion of the mandate covers validating that unvaccinated people actually are "healthy" in the event that they absolutely refuse to get the vaccine. Seems fair, no?

Yup. This gets to the heart of the matter of inconveniencing the assholes who won't get vaccinated directly, as well as their employers.

Seeing ppl push back against this is wild.

Tells me some ppl never had family in the hospital or have family that have major illnesses, sickness.

Pretty sure if it was your family and they had any kind of illness you would take precautions dealing with them.

Imagine a doctor never washing their hands before surgery or not using protective equipment. reusing needles, etc.

Ppl not getting the vaccine are selfish, not thinking about others. If you arent gonna get it, stay inside until this gets better.

One or the other.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
this is the core of the argument, and why I think the rule will probably hold up to any sort of court challenge

fundamentally, "not getting covid at the job you have to go to in order to live" is a workplace safety issue, and there's literal centuries of legal cases demonstrating that the federal government has the power to set workplace safety standards

as far as I'm aware, it's on very solid legal footing

i'd be interested to find out.

i was looking around at some public-facing jobs recently (in a blue state fwiw) and most/all of them listed something like "potential exposure to hazardous contagion" at some point in the job description, ostensibly to cover them from covid litigation i guess.

Oct 25, 2017
afkgaming%2F2021-08%2F79649079-d0e7-4acd-853b-6a2b92797da3%2Fcopium_png.png
ixDKNPm.png

Thebox

Dec 26, 2019
I already have some fellow nurses saying they will use religious exemption, lol. What the fuck ever

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
A person I used to be friends with is super excited about working from home since her employer has remote work positions. It's a big company. Will she still be required? I'd love it if so lol
I work from home, a govt contractor.

They had us all take a survey, govt and contractors, about vaccine status. Didnt matter that I never worked in the building before, and we might never go back..

A safe workplace environment IS a basic worker's right. Period. Every worker has the right to a safe working environment.

There is a global pandemic and a free vaccine to fight it thats available to everyone in the US.

With an easy way to ensure a safe workplace environment, it is 100% in line with what the Labor Department is supposed to do, and should do.

You are looking at it as personal medical treatment, and it isn't.

this is the core of the argument, and why I think the rule will probably hold up to any sort of court challenge

fundamentally, "not getting covid at the job you have to go to in order to live" is a workplace safety issue, and there's literal centuries of legal cases demonstrating that the federal government has the power to set workplace safety standards

as far as I'm aware, it's on very solid legal footing

Yup. Anyone ever been in a break room with those Dept of Labor or OSHA papers, posters on the wall? Maybe its time some ppl read them....

I was a govt contractor for another company, and at the beginning of the pandemic when some buildings had to close unless you were essential, we stayed open. We were off site, not a govt building. We also had to carry a paper on us about being essential employees.

Some visitor came in and complained about our Covid safety protocols, anonymously of course. We got a letter from OSHA and had a meeting to talk about how we had to do better. I never knew what it was, maybe we werent wearing masks in the building, not sure. (we were also the only ppl left....all other businesses in there were at home, and about half our office was at home)

Workplace safety is no fucking joke.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this finally, hot damn this is gonna be fun to see reactions to over the next few weeks.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I am a teacher in Florida who's fully vaccinated and wears his mask everyday and I think it's absolutely ridiculous our district hasn't mandated masks for schools yet. Hell, they did make a half step and mandate masks on buses and parents went insane.. DeSantis is a a curse on Florida and I'm glad Biden is taking steps to protect the people in this country

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does this mean general employees (as in, like, Walmart, even if their specific store doesn't have 100, but the coproporation does obviously) or just businesses with 100+ people that staff the building

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's going to be inconvenient but god damn it it has to be done. I'm sorry for those hesitant folks that are going to go kicking and screaming about this but if I miss another Christmas with my family because of this pandemic I'm going to really lose my god damn mind.

We wouldn't have had to take these measures like some other more responsible countries have done if people had taken it seriously to begin with.

To all the anti-vaxxers, I get it. It's your choice and you won't be forced to do anything but if you had even just done the minimum of wearing masks and quarantining and staying at home and running businesses safely then it never would have gotten this bad.

I know I'm shouting into the bubble. This isn't reaching anti-vaxxer eyes. /vent
I can assure you that there are plenty of antivaxxers on this forum, they're just wise enough (ironically) to stfu about it.

If only this newfound wisdom could help them get vaccinated

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Does this mean general employees (as in, like, Walmart, even if their specific store doesn't have 100, but the coproporation does obviously) or just businesses with 100+ people that staff the building

I imagine it means any company that employees 100 or more total. So, like, if you employ 109 people to refill vending machines and no one has an office, all of them must be vaccinated.

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
From a National Review comment:
"Many governors have quickly responded to Biden's vaccine mandate for businesses. Here are just a few brief excerpts:

Tate Reeves, Mississippi: "The President has no authority to require that Americans inject themselves because of their employment at a private business. This is still America, and we still believe in freedom from tyrants."

Brian Kemp, Georgia: "I will pursue every legal option available to the state of Georgia to stop this blatantly unlawful overreach by the Biden administration."

Kristi Noem, South Dakota: "My legal team is standing by ready to file our lawsuit the minute @joebiden files his unconstitutional rule. This gross example of federal intrusion will not stand."

Henry McMaster, South Carolina: "Rest assured, we will fight them to the gates of hell to protect the liberty and livelihood of every South Carolinian."

Doug Ducey, Arizona: "This will never stand up in court. This dictatorial approach is wrong, un-American and will do far more harm than good."

Greg Gianforte, Montana: "President Biden's vaccination mandate is unlawful and un-American. We are committed to protecting Montanans' freedoms and liberties against this gross federal overreach."

Kevin Stitt, Oklahoma: "It is not the government's role to dictate to private businesses what to do. Once again President Biden is demonstrating his complete disregard for individual freedoms and states' rights."

Those are just a few excerpts from the responses from some of the governors."

www.nationalreview.com

Biden Announces Plan to Require Large Companies to Mandate COVID Vaccines | National Review

The Department of Labor will develop rules requiring employers with more than 100 workers to mandate vaccines or weekly testing for coronavirus.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
They have strong union protections. Thanks to Nixon, apparently, from what I'm reading? Changing the rules for them is much harder than for virtually anyone else.
Yeah, and the *mandate* doesn't apply to them because they're not quite a federal body. However, it sounds like the "Businesses with over 100 employees" OSHA regulation *does* apply to them.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently no Republican thinks businesses have to deal with health code violations or literally any of the hundreds or requirements local, state, and federal governments place on workplaces

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I confess this is the first I've heard of OSHA -- anyone care to break it down?

At the very least, I imagine this isn't the fascist government overreach the right's currently screaming about it.

Oct 31, 2017
Great news and about damn time.

I hate the anti-vaccination motherfuckers out there screaming "MUH FREEDOM!".

What about those of us who aren't risking ours and our close families lives and health because we understand there's serious risk? Our freedom has been directly, tangibly impacted by these people and yet...

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
From a National Review comment:
"Many governors have quickly responded to Biden's vaccine mandate for businesses. Here are just a few brief excerpts:

Tate Reeves, Mississippi: "The President has no authority to require that Americans inject themselves because of their employment at a private business. This is still America, and we still believe in freedom from tyrants."

Brian Kemp, Georgia: "I will pursue every legal option available to the state of Georgia to stop this blatantly unlawful overreach by the Biden administration."

Kristi Noem, South Dakota: "My legal team is standing by ready to file our lawsuit the minute @joebiden files his unconstitutional rule. This gross example of federal intrusion will not stand."

Henry McMaster, South Carolina: "Rest assured, we will fight them to the gates of hell to protect the liberty and livelihood of every South Carolinian."

Doug Ducey, Arizona: "This will never stand up in court. This dictatorial approach is wrong, un-American and will do far more harm than good."

Greg Gianforte, Montana: "President Biden's vaccination mandate is unlawful and un-American. We are committed to protecting Montanans' freedoms and liberties against this gross federal overreach."

Kevin Stitt, Oklahoma: "It is not the government's role to dictate to private businesses what to do. Once again President Biden is demonstrating his complete disregard for individual freedoms and states' rights."

Those are just a few excerpts from the responses from some of the governors."

www.nationalreview.com

Biden Announces Plan to Require Large Companies to Mandate COVID Vaccines | National Review

The Department of Labor will develop rules requiring employers with more than 100 workers to mandate vaccines or weekly testing for coronavirus.
Apparently theyve never worked in a business big enough to care about OSHA rules

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
We can now compare Biden with George Washington for both mandating vaccinations and watch the right wingers break their brains lol

Yes, Washington ordered inoculations because vaccines weren't invented yet, but it's the same principle.