• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
So will HR depts. require a submission of vaccination records for the inevitable OSHA oversight on this? I mean, I've been vaxxed, but as far as I know my employer wouldn't know one way or another (other than I told my boss and co-workers).

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
my company is not far from that threshold at the moment and I think our garbage management would literally fire more people to stay underneath it if the choice was between that or to actually giving a fuck about employee health šŸ˜ž

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Neat. I assume it will get blocked by the courts but still good to push for it.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
It's somewhat my business as well, because other countries might copy it.
Though in my country they actually came up with a similar (yet not quite strict) policy months ago already.

Businesses don't really have means of forcing people to get vaccinated. Except for firing people, I guess. I don't know how easy it is to legally fire someone who doesn't want to get vaccinated in the US.
And then I also don't believe that unvaccinated people should have no right to work for big companies, tbh.

Businesses already can (and some have) mandated their employees get vaccinated. And yes, they'll fire people that don't comply.

This is a good thing. We're trying to stop a fucking global pandemic.

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
midterms gonna be about vaccination and the conservatives may not be able to stop it. The narrative has enough momentum that it may be difficult for the right to wield.

Oct 27, 2017
Though in my country they actually came up with a similar (yet not quite strict) policy months ago already.

Businesses don't really have means of forcing people to get vaccinated. Except for firing people, I guess. I don't know how easy it is to legally fire someone who doesn't want to get vaccinated in the US.
And then I also don't believe that unvaccinated people should have no right to work for big companies, tbh.
It goes like this: "You're fired."
And antivaxxers can work for big companies. Just need to get vaccinated which is safe, free and easy to do.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Good moves. My company basically put these rules in place a week ago (get a shot if you want to come into the office or get a test once a week). Also get a shot or test if you travel.
Our rules don't affect you if you WFH, I wonder if these do? I looked and didn't see if WFH was affected.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this 100+ employees for the company as a whole or is it just for 100+ employees for the building you work in?
total. its a legal distinction to make it "interstate commerce" so even if you have 20 at your branch if you have branches in other states and hit that 100 you're clearly engaging in interstate commerce thus OSHA can issue mandates. it can't hit small businesses because work place workplace safety there clearly doesn't affecf interstate commerce. but they can hit them for other things because they're likely buying or selling across state lines.

I can't wait for thomas' batshit concerence/dissent

Milky Way

Oct 29, 2017

lol

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should be 100 total because this should definitely hit retail chains etc

Actually does anyone know how fast food franchising fits into these requirements?
I'd imagine they don't want to affect the joint-employer issue with the NLRB so I'd imagine they'd be treated separately as a separate employers

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
My company better not take away the 2 extra PTO days next year that they were giving out to those that got the shot.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good moves. My company basically put these rules in place a week ago (get a shot if you want to come into the office or get a test once a week). Also get a shot or test if you travel.
Our rules don't affect you if you WFH, I wonder if these do? I looked and didn't see if WFH was affected.
its a workplace standard so they'd have no ability to get OSHA to go after the employer so in effect they're not affected

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
1511542586-toast-london-matt-berry-yes.gif

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neat. I assume it will get blocked by the courts but still good to push for it.
I really don't know how the Supreme Court will rule. This isn't even a mandate, you don't have to get the vaccine, you can provide a test.

I do imagine we'll see them file in the 5th circuit (Texas) to get an injunction. Its funny because they hated all the liberals during trump always filing in the 9th (West Coast, AK, and HI).

Even with an injunction this emboldens employers, which I think is the larger goal. It gives them cover to put in their own policies

Oct 27, 2017
Good for me. Bad for me because I'm sure, as someone who works for a large employer, I'll get plenty of assholes calling to complain despite this not being my department at all.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What a moron.
Vaccinating people is government's responsibility, don't fucking shift it on business.

I am mad, and I am not even american.
Literally one of the jobs of government is to regulate workplace environments to ensure safety to people and the environment. It's why we have labor laws regarding underage workers, laws regarding how businesses can dispose of their waste to prevent ecosystem damage, and minimum wage to protect workers.

This is the Labor Department enacting a rule to create safe workplaces. Literally their job and the job of government. It's completely in-line.

If you think it's stupid, you need to educate yourself on the roll of governments.

ZW33

Oct 25, 2017
This is great news, but the fact that there is a testing opt out is disappointing.

This will probably convince a decent amount of younger holdouts, but most of the MAGAs and anti-vaxxers will just opt for testing.

If you're going to mandate it, then go big and ACTUALLY MANDATE IT. Don't let these plague spreaders off easy with a weekly nose swab.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Per location? Or organization? Huge.
Organization.

This is great news, but the fact that there is a testing opt out is disappointing.

This will probably convince a decent amount of younger holdouts, but most of the MAGAs and anti-vaxxers will just opt for testing.

If you're going to mandate it, then go big and ACTUALLY MANDATE IT. Don't let these plague spreaders off easy with a weekly nose swab.
Wait until testing stops being free.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017

Getting the nose swab is an awful experience. I can't imagine choosing to keep doing that every week.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I for one, welcome the health dictatorship from Supreme Commander Biden.

(Health/sanitary dictatorship is one of the best terms I have heard from antivax/covid deniers, sounds fucking bonkers but I like it).

Grym

Oct 27, 2017

I just wonder if it is kinda forcing most bigger business to step up and mandate it themselves. The work and paperwork involved in keeping records (not to mention the PTO given to people being tested or large corporations buying their own tests for weekly testing clinics and the OSHA fines when someone isn't in compliance) will be a significant cost I would think

ZW33

Oct 25, 2017
Getting the nose swab is an awful experience. I can't imagine choosing to keep doing that every week.

Come on, it's mildly uncomfortable, but it's not that bad, and I've had to do it several times.

Anyway, companies will very likely only be using the rapid test with the short nose swap that isn't uncomfortable at all, so not sure if that will dissuade anyone.