• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
I think that would always run into the issue that the Buzz this movie is selling is basically nothing like the toy from Toy Story. When they decided the general style/plot of this movie, they were pretty much forcing it to stand out on its own merits and throwing most benefits from the Toy Story association away.

See I would argue it's better if it stands on its own merits and instead of being this quasi-Toy Story movie that is about toys and nostalgia and growing up. This is a space opera adventure film. I'm glad it is it's own thing because it's definitely not a Toy Story movie, we don't need more of those. It could definitely be argued then if that's the case, why connect it to Buzz, and I think that has some merit because people obviously can't handle the connection very well. Blame marketing/money on needing to tie everything to preexisting IP so there's a built-in market that is rampant in Hollywood. I would have thought Pixar of all studios would have earned the right to just break out and tell great original stories, and whether this movie was called Lightyear or whatever else and had a totally different character, it still is a decent little adventure sci-fi film regardless of your familiarity with some of its characters. But they did play with existing knowledge of things as little winks and nods, and those can be fun, but I do have to wonder what they would have done with just an original character and whether that would have made it better or not.

Jun 9, 2022
Wait. Lightyear is out? I thought it was out later this year.

Yeah, the marketing just wasn't there. I think I saw a single tv ad, and it didn't even have an "in theaters" date.

And you know that the right wing media is going to gloat about this. Fuck.

You have no idea. I overheard a few minutes of one of those shit conservative talk shows at work and it was like the second topic.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
armchair quarterbacking here but everybody i knew with kids wasn't sure if this was a D+ thing or not.

i could see this being a problem for disney

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
This high adrenaline toy commercial does NOT go with the trailers they're putting out for this movie.

Like to put it simply, they seem to have given Buzz the personality of Captain America instead of the personality of.... Buzz.

The voice actor for Buzz is the actor who played as Captain America lol - its like he's playing the same character!

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
The voice actor for Buzz is the actor who played as Captain America lol - its like he's playing the same character!

Lol I know, that's why the comparison is so easy. According to the trailers it doesn't seem like Evans put much effort into doing anything different, when clearly he should have been channeling Human Torch at least.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I wish they'd made an original Sci-fi IP. Doubt it would have helped its BO performance but eh... Wall-E was awesome

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
Yea I didnt know it was already out until I went to the cinemas to see Maverick for the 2nd time. Still surprising there's not much hype.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I . . . don't understand the people who are upset that the human being Buzz Lightyear character in this movie is behaving differently than a toy.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It just doesn't look like an interesting movie.

Its underperformance will be weaponized though as an example of "GO WOKE GO BROKE!!!" which sucks.

Dec 30, 2020
I want to eventually watch this but... I'm just too tired. This, Ms. Marvel, Big Bug, Man vs Bee, the new Dr. Strange, I'm just too exhausted at the moment to sit and watch anything for more than 20 minutes.

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
I believe the "controversy" surrounding it hurt it more than anything else. It completely overshadowed it. It is the only context I hear anyone talk about the movie. That mixed with no Tim Allen, the reviews, the entire concept itself, it all added up to just having too much going on. Heck, when I first heard of it I assumed it was going to be some sort of direct to streaming project, even the trailer didn't impress me all that much. The overseas issues aren't going to help things either.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
This is anecdotal, but I know multiple people that warned other parents not to let their kids see it due to Disney's RADICAL GAY AGENDA.

I wonder if that had any impact, even if slightly.

In my country, the rating agency asked Disney to raised the movie's rating to PG13 instead of Everyone because of the scene where Buzz stared lovingly at the same-sex couple (and what I would assume various other LGBT-friendly scenes existing in the movie, I haven't seen it, but the one picture circulating around here when discussion about the movie banning flared up is that one).... Disney refused, and thus the movie, although it already ran promotions and stuff, in the end was cancelled here.....

Last edited:

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
This high adrenaline toy commercial does NOT go with the trailers they're putting out for this movie.

Like to put it simply, they seem to have given Buzz the personality of Captain America instead of the personality of.... Buzz.
To be fair, that's basically 80s - 90s toys to a T.
Do you remember Toxic Avengers toys and cartoons somehow adapted this:

into this:

or Alien(s):

into this:

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
I think when it comes to online discussions, "who asked for this? " might overtake "it's [current year] and we're still doing _______?" as the most worthless and dismissive take that should be ban worthy.

Plenty of movies that people don't ask for are great or surprise hits, and plenty of movies that people do ask for are duds.

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
Seen the trailers and it just doesn't look funny or interesting. Just zero interest in this Pixar movie.

Bad first impression was that Buzz turns off his body cam meme's.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
idk, who wnats to watch a movie that exists in the toy story universe. that's too meta.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to see it in theatres because trailers weirded me out, not because of D+. Don't even know if I'll make time to watch it on D+.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
I think when it comes to online discussions, "who asked for this? " might overtake "it's [current year] and we're still doing _______?" as the most worthless and dismissive take that should be ban worthy.

Plenty of movies that people don't ask for are great or surprise hits, and plenty of movies that people do ask for are duds.
Found the person who asked for this.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Or a movie they don't care at all to see

Because they aren't interested

Because they can't imagine who is interested

Because it's like an incredibly odd concept that doesn't seem well planned or appealing

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'll definitely catch it when it hits Disney+. If the pandemic taught me one thing, it's how to be more patient with movie releases.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I mean when I first heard of it I was like, oh yeah that's gonna be cool, thinking its a movie just focused on Buzz from toy story.
then I heard the concept, and saw the trailer and my interest pretty much fully went away

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm babysitting a friend's kid and when we were looking for movies she got really excited at this movie and specifically called it "Toy Story 5".

Not sure if she understood, but I was trying to explain that this isn't really Toy Story 5, but more about what the Buzz toy is based on.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
In my country, the rating agency asked Disney to raised the movie's rating to PG13 instead of Everyone because of the scene where Buzz stared lovingly at the same-sex couple (and what I would assume various other LGBT-friendly scenes existing in the movie, I haven't seen it, but the one picture circulating around here when discussion about the movie banning flared up is that one).... Disney refused, and thus the movie, although it already ran promotions and stuff, in the end was cancelled here.....
Good on Disney for not backing down at least.

I'm fucking crying over here

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Good on Disney for not backing down at least.

Kinda unfortunate since almost nobody cares about ratings in here in theaters parents would still bring their children in for movies rated for adults for example) so if Disney concede it could still be shown in here.... but it's not like I don't understand why they wouldn't want to concede.

Anyways, my only recourse to watching it legally is Disney + right now I suppose, though to be frank I found the movie kinda.... wrong looking? Couldn't properly describe it, it just feels weird to see Buzz in a fully dramatic "real" movie like this... it just looks and feel weird.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Ive never been a fan of Buzz but I'll watch it on D+ when it comes out. Wished Turning Red was in theaters. I would've gone to see that.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017

since when were toy lines and commercials aimed at selling to kids properly representative of the media they're adapting, something that that scene's silly excess is parodying? the living toy Buzz in Toy Story doesn't resemble the high adrenaline tone of that in-universe commercial. he's a stoic and skilled ranger with a bassy voice that's laser focused on his mission. funnily enough, as someone who's actually seen Lightyear, so is it's Buzz! all this hand-wringing is kind of absurd.

To be fair, that's basically 80s - 90s toys to a T.
Do you remember Toxic Avengers toys and cartoons somehow adapted this:
exactly, it's a moot comparison. Buzz in this film resembles what you would imagine a big budget, slightly more serious version of his character in the Toy Story films.

Last edited:

Dr. Wario

User requested ban
Banned
Jun 30, 2020
I actually really enjoyed it so I'm sad to see it not doing as well as I'd hoped. After reading all the meh reviews online, I wasn't expecting much but I found myself absolutely beaming when I came out of the cinema!

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I just didn't really understand the point of the movie. They're giving a real life backstory to a toy? Is it supposed to be his television show or like a real life buzz lightyear?

Also mostly seemed like it wasn't really needed. Toy Story 1-3 are more than enough but even 4 felt like it had a point, kinda.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Put me in the "Oh it's out?" camp. Definitely feels like I didn't hear much about this movie.

And yeah, even as someone who enjoyed the 4 Toy Story movies, I can't say following the "real" Buzz's adventures sounds interesting.