• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is totally fucked!!!! Per fellow user liminal who sent me this link via PM asking me to post it on their behalf due to not being able to create posts yet, CNN is reporting that people working for Instacart are being bait and switched by customers, they are apparently luring Instacart workers with large tips then after delivery, the Instacart user then completely zeros out the tip!!!:

www.cnn.com

People are luring Instacart shoppers with big tips -- and then changing them to zero

In late March, Instacart worker Annaliisa Arambula accepted a grocery order that came with a big tip: $55. The store was just down the street, everything the customer wanted was available, and the order seemed to go off without a hitch.

In late March, Instacart worker Annaliisa Arambula accepted a grocery order that came with a big tip: $55. The store was just down the street, everything the customer wanted was available, and the order seemed to go off without a hitch.

But an hour later, Arambula checked her earnings on the Instacart app and the entire tip was gone, with a message saying the "customer modified the tip post-delivery." She ended up making just $8.95 from Instacart on the order.

"I was flabbergasted. I couldn't believe it," Arambula told CNN Business.

Some people are dealing with that by offering big tips, as high as $50 or more, to entice Instacart workers to pick up their orders. But some of those people have turned the tactic into a bait-and-switch, offering up the big tip and then taking it away as soon as the person who risked their health to get them their groceries has made the delivery.

Before accepting a "batch" -- which can consist of one or a few orders from different customers -- workers can see the items requested, the store location, the payment Instacart provides workers for the job, and the tip being offered. Instacart allows customers to change a tip for up to three days. Some workers told CNN Business tips can make up half of their income or more.

"It's very demoralizing," said Arambula, who lives in the Portland, Oregon, area and has worked full-time for Instacart since June 2017. "I don't pretend to be a hero, like a nurse in a hospital ... but I literally am exposing myself [to coronavirus] and when I return home, exposing my own family to the possibility of transmitting this disease. When you know that it's somebody who's just doing it to game the system and to get their order when they want it, it's really frustrating." Arambula's husband is currently unemployed and at high risk for Covid-19 because he has diabetes, so they are relying on her work for Instacart to pay their bills.

An Instacart spokesperson told CNN Business the vast majority of people in March adjusted their tip upward or did not adjust their tip after delivery. Moreover, the spokesperson said, the company recently removed the "none" tip option for people, so users who want to tip nothing must manually change a tip to $0. The spokersperson said this could deter users from doing so. People can also leave feedback and rate a worker in the app, something Instacart claims typically happens if and when a person removes a tip.

Jenifer G., who became a "full service shopper" for Instacart about a month ago and asked to be identified by her first name and last initial for fear of retribution, said she has already experienced a handful of bait-and-switch tippers in Pennsylvania. She said one person originally put a $32.94 tip on a 27-item order from Sam's Club, only to replace it with a $0 tip after delivery. Another person changed a $13.31 tip on a 38-item order from a different store to nothing after delivery.

"It's a crapshoot," said Jenifer G., who noted half her earnings come from tips, either in cash or through the app. "These are affluent communities that I'm delivering to. There's almost no need to not tip, especially because not only is this a convenience for you but we're in a pandemic right now."

An Instacart spokesperson said that tips are always left up to a customer's discretion and would not comment on specific instances of tip baiting occurring. In an email to Instacart customers provided to CNN Business, the company encourages people to "please consider tipping above and beyond to reflect the extra effort of your shopper."

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying to use Instacart for almost a week now and I haven't even had the option to reserve a single timeslot let alone decide on a tip.

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Instacart definitely is shittier than Shipt for delivery people, ive been doing both, and there's a variety of reasons why Shipt is better but pay is definitely one of the main reasons why

also please tip yr grocery delivery person, its super crazy out currently

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Serious question: Why does the Instacart app even allows you to zero out a tip post-delivery???

Deleted member 65068

Apr 2, 2020
Thank you, KSweeley !

This is such a scummy development that we should take to Instacart's twitter. Seriously, fuck these people who take advantage of this system.

Also, tip well, my friends.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty fucked up. These people are risking their health so that you can stay home.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
Instacart definitely is shittier than Shipt for delivery people, ive been doing both, and there's a variety of reasons why Shipt is better but pay is definitely one of the main reasons why

also please tip yr grocery delivery person, its super crazy out currently

Having used Shipt before but if it pays delivery people better then I'll move to that.

I personally always tip, usually 15%

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Why would an app make it possible to decrease a tip after delivery? It should be pretty obvious you shouldn't do that.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
You should only be able to increase tip after delivery, not decrease. That's just harmful design.

Or at least not tell the workers what the expected tip is supposed to be.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Serious question: Why does the Instacart app even allows you to zero out a tip post-delivery???
Probably just in case there are issues with the delivery. Uber eats gives you an hour after delivery to make changes to the tip. Though in that case, I don't think the driver is told the tip amount in advance so they wouldn't know.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had an Amazon Fresh order go through last night and I was appalled that the auto added tip was like 5%. I fixed it.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
imagine pulling a bait and switch on someone that knows where you live after they risked their health for your convenience

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Why would an app make it possible to decrease a tip after delivery? It should be pretty obvious you shouldn't do that.
I could see it as an option in case maybe items were missing from the order? But I don't know why they would allow the removal of a tip like that. If it says $55 maybe let them only reduce the tip by 1/3rd and leave a comment. Reducing from 55 to 0 would really piss me off.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Life has taught me to never underestimate the shittiness of people. Nothing like this surprises me.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
poor people risking their lives in service of the wealthy, as always.

fuck this gig economy shit.

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We use Instacart a lot and have started tipping large amounts now. And never once did it cross my mind to cancel it after they left. what a scummy thing to do.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Why even allow to decrease a tip afterwards? That's total bullshit

It should be something set in stone or the very least not something promised before hand.

Jan 31, 2018
It's a necessary system but there should be a way to report abuse.

I've had some really bad delivery drivers had should have gotten zero for a tip but couldn't change anything. Then there's some who genuinly go above and beyond and deserve a little more.

Deleted member 65068

Apr 2, 2020
poor people risking their lives in service of the wealthy, as always.

fuck this gig economy shit.
This is the new post-disaster economy we all face now.

We use Instacart a lot and have started tipping large amounts now. And never once did it cross my mind to cancel it after they left. what a scummy thing to do.
Because you are a good person.

I don't know why this story affected me so much. This is most outraged I have been since this began, though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An Instacart shopper provided this in-app screenshot to CNN showing that this person left this shopper a large tip that was then zeroed out with a note saying "Customer modified the tip post-delivery."

4j3wWp8.png

Oct 25, 2017
I don't use InstaCart directly but have been having Fred Meyer deliver groceries lately, and their system integrates with InstaCart so my actual shoppers and delivery have been InstaCart.

I didn't realize they could see tips in advance--my standard is to leave the recommended tip on the order, then bump up after delivery since I'll usually add and delete items in the day or two leading up to the scheduled delivery so any initial tip amount would be wrong anyway. I didn't realize they could see the tip prior to picking up the order; that must make me look horribly cheap.

Oct 30, 2017
Seems like if you want to adjust down a tip, you should have to contact the company to adjust that. Adjust up, sure.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Shipt require you to pay for a membership, while Instacart is free? It's no wonder Shipt treats its employees better.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
"It's a crapshoot," said Jenifer G., who noted half her earnings come from tips, either in cash or through the app. "These are affluent communities that I'm delivering to. There's almost no need to not tip, especially because not only is this a convenience for you but we're in a pandemic right now."

Bolded the worst part about this. Gross.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely do not do this. It is disgusting. These people should absolutely be banned.