• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Jussie faked this then the Congressional Black Caucus should vote on how long he should be exiled from the Black community.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah about this letter...lol.

http://m.tmz.com/#!2019/01/30/jussie-smollett-declined-extra-security-homophobic-racist-attack/
_ENV_THATGRAPEJUICENET.jpg
The deliberate child-like handwriting to obfuscate the actual adult hand writing

The juvenile drawing

Using "f*g" but not the n-word instead of black

Trump supporters using two stamps

I....

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming this is all a hoax, looks like Hannity and Carlson have their talking point for the rest of February.

Smollett just caused a lot of damage to a serious subject, out of complete selfishness, using his race and his sexuality to manufacture himself into a victim.

For what? Sympathy? Attention? Was it true his job was in peril?

Just shits and giggles?

What a lousy thing for him to do.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I think you're overthinking it a bit, but obviously if someone takes a position contrary to the established rules they could be warned or banned, right? Every forum has rules like it or not, this isn't like a democracy. It was stated anyone claiming he faked the attack would be treated the same as victim blaming.

I'm honestly not comfortable with changing the definition of victim blaming, and that's what's really being discussed here. The forum and mods should be mature enough to handle that discussion. If anyone was banned for that and just that alone I think it's worth discussing. Maybe not in this thread to avoid derailment.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The story was suspect from day 1. People should be unbanned. It's okay to discuss these things.

The Flop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still feel like if it was a straight white male, it would have been ok sooner to discuss the holes in the story that were being reported on by good sources without fear of a ban. :O

Just my 2 cents.

Still such a sick story/attack all around... Fucked up world we live in.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
The story had a lot of questionable details from the start. It should have been ok to discuss those at the time. That's not "victim blaming". It's just talking about a news story. A discussion.
Well, if you don't find this forum suitable for the things you would like to discuss, there's not much to say is there? Not every forum can be everything for everyone. There are always going to be things you agree with and disagree with.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
We now have credible news sources that this could be a hoax, so now it is ok to discuss it as such. Prior to this, it was not.

ABC and CBS Chicago are both credible news sources. CNN is no more or less credible. The news reports are still citing anonymous sources and the Chicago PD denial of the hoax still stands.

Nothing has changed (as far as what the common person knows) since the hoax reports first broke.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Not everyone but people who had no history or seemed legit concerned should be unbanned . How do you doubt when you think things don't add up without looking somewhat or fully victim blaming.

However I would suggest waiting till police confirmation before doing so . With so many twists and turns, you never know

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to remind people that despite the turn in this story, there are still minorities of many kinds that are actual victims of hate crimes and it's a shame that this stunt will likely result in future victims facing ridicule.
In Austin, Texas pretty recently a gay couple was assaulted after leaving a nightclub. The Austin PD are investigating it as a hate crime.

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
Victim blaming is characterized as blaming the victim of a crime for "allowing themselves" to become a victim of a crime.

Expressing doubts about the victim's testimony is different than blaming the victim.

Expressing skepticism is also different from victim blaming.

But now the argument may shift to whether or not the people who expressed skepticism of the veracity of Smollett's report were doing so in good faith or whether or not they had any logical reason to express doubt at that point in time.

I was called a "diet racist" by some users for saying that it was fair to be skeptical of Smollett's story.

I was also banned for 5 days.

Now that it's becoming clear that Jussie Smollett was not truthful and that he may have staged the whole event, the emotion that I feel is anger at, and disappointment in, Smollett for hurting the cause to advance his own agenda.

Victims of hate crimes will now suffer more due to Smollett's lies.

And some people are saying that he is troubled and needs help. I think he firstly needs to be charged, prosecuted, and convicted of filing a false report if that is indeed the case.

He's hurt a lot of people today and invigorated racists.

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
Ain't blaming no one but I always wait for everything to come out, even now it's still just reporting until the police come out and make a statement about the case everyone need to just wait instead of saying he or she was right etc.

And this place is funny that's why I don't be posting much in topics like this. when ever there's a sensitive topic people shit on you if your opinion isn't aligned with theres ain't even going to talk about bans other than lol at some of them.

Samban

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also to those wanting him to go to jail, or to have his career ruined, etc etc. This guy is not well. You've got to be pretty depressed/mentally unwell to want to make up something like this, risking your career and jail just to get some sympathy or attention..so let's not judge him TOO harshly.

No, this is a bullshit excuse and you know it. If true, this is incredibly damaging and he needs to go to jail. Fuck him.

Also, I don't mean to gloat; but this story did really seem too "perfect" to be true while at the same time still being completely plausible. It is kind of a shame that some people got ridiculed or banned in the "just asking questions" crossfire or whatever. I understand that there are trolls out there, but as a community we have to find a better way of discussing these things that allows a reasonable degree of skepticism.

This kind of stuff will continue to happen. I also wouldn't be totally surprised if CNN fucked something either. Gotta be careful these days. The investigation is still not final.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, if you don't find this forum suitable for the things you would like to discuss, there's not much to say is there? Not every forum can be everything for everyone. There are always going to be things you agree with and disagree with.
Why isn't there much to say? The forum isn't static, neither are the rules.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Victim blaming is characterized as blaming the victim of a crime for "allowing themselves" to become a victim of a crime.

Expressing doubts about the victim's testimony is different than blaming the victim.

Expressing skepticism is also different from victim blaming.

But now the argument may shift to whether or not the people who expressed skepticism of the veracity of Smollett's report we're doing so in good faith or whether or not they had any logical reason to express doubt at that point in time.

I was called a "diet racist" by some users for saying that it was fair to be skeptical of Smollett's story.

I was also banned for 5 days.

Now that it's becoming clear that Jussie Smollett was not truthful and that he may have staged the whole event, the emotion that I feel is anger at, and disappointment in, Smollett for hurting the cause to advance his own agenda.

Victims of hate crimes will now suffer more due to Smollett's lies.

And some people are saying that he is troubled and needs help. I think he firstly needs to be charged, prosecuted, and convicted of filing a false report if that is indeed the case.

He's hurt a lot of people today and invigorated racists.

Your ban should be removed from your record. I agreed with you the whole time but didn't bother chipping in because reasons.

Nov 14, 2017
I mean, what evidence do we have that it's faked? It seems like the police thought it was genuine until they interviewed the suspects. Is it just their word? There's still so much we don't know.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Was it true his job was in peril?

FOX and the producers of the TV show released statements completely denying that he was EVER going to be fired. I doubt Fox would lie for Jussie.

However he may have thought he was going to be fired, or the motive could be some other entirely different reason.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
ABC and CBS Chicago are both credible news sources. CNN is no more or less credible. The news reports are still citing anonymous sources and the Chicago PD denial of the hoax still stands.

Nothing has changed (as far as what the common person knows) since the hoax reports first broke.

When the bans first occurred it was over a police blog/Tumblr that was being sourced, and was proven false.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth

Again, this sounds a lot like "only specific viewpoints are allowed".

That's not a good stance to take if you wish to encourage discussion.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
No, this is a bullshit excuse and you know it. If true, this is incredibly damaging and he needs to go to jail. Fuck him.

Also, I don't mean to gloat; but this story did really seem too "perfect" to be true while at the same time still being completely plausible. It is kind of a shame that some people got ridiculed or banned in the "just asking questions" crossfire or whatever. I understand that there are trolls out there, but as a community we have to find a better way of discussing these things that allows a reasonable degree of skepticism.

This kind of stuff will continue to happen. I also wouldn't be totally surprised if CNN fucked something either. Gotta be careful these days. The investigation is still not final.

It isn't a bullshit excuse. But i' m not saying he doesn't need to suffer some consquence, just stop with the "he needs to have his life ruined" stuff.

Staff Post: Regarding moderation practices and thread derailment

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
For the record, in the original thread we did ask people not to speculate without evidence that the attack was staged; this was necessary because members were becoming hostile to each other and the discussion was getting out of hand. We explicitly mentioned the possibility that new information could emerge to change this, and that has now happened.

Please proceed with the discussion and do not derail the thread with moderation commentary. If you have further questions feel free to contact any of the mod captains (b-dubs, hecht, or mist).

Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody care about the ramifications of Jussie potentially lying about a hate crime or do we just wanna dunk on the moderators for correctly banning a group of trolls?

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Misrepresenting moderation; History of trolling and severe infractions
Again, this sounds a lot like "only specific viewpoints are allowed".

That's not a good stance to take if you wish to encourage discussion.

It's been like that since after a few months after this site went live. Moderators will go into a thread, make a post that's a borderline threat to anyone who thinks differently of them and the then the thread just becomes people agreeing with each other. Then they say something like "Stop talking about this. Send us a PM so we can ignore it better" and the discussion dies off just how they like it.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very intrested to see the police report now. This being confirmed by multiple outlets seems indicates there are reliable sources leaking the story, but I am wondering about their veracity one way or another.

This whole thing is strange, and I really hope CNN and the other outlets are very confident in their reporting. Shit like this is not something you want to play hard and loose on the facts with.

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, what evidence do we have that it's faked? It seems like the police thought it was genuine until they interviewed the suspects. Is it just their word? There's still so much we don't know.
The police official HQ line stayed the same while the leaks were saying something else, but it would stay the same whether their internal suspicions were different or not- you don't tell someone they're under investigation until you absolutely have to. Once the official spokesperson and the internal leaks started contradicting each other it qiuckly became obvious this was a) incredibly messy and b) there was not enough info in the public spherer to support any conclusion and that literally anything could be going on.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
That's been a cop-out for forum moderators since the late 90's lol.
Yeah. People are just asking for fairness. Mods are human so they will make mistakes. We all make mistakes. At the same time, this can be used as a moment to improve and review any of the previous.

Status
Not open for further replies.