• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Huh, it sounded fishy from the beginning to me too. Unfortunately anyone that brought it up on the previous thread just got dogpiled.

Trevelyon

Oct 30, 2017
I hope Jussie gets the professional help he needs and finds personal redemption. He fucked up, baldy! but his mind was obviously in a very bad way and pushed him to do some dumb shit.

Also, fuck the alt-right freaks running with this shit. Disgusting opportunist scumbags.

smellyjelly

Avenger
Aug 2, 2018
I remember reading that Jussie told a friend of his what happened and that was the dude that called the cops. I wonder if that's what blew it all up, if in fact this is a hoax.

Sep 14, 2018
People need to stop with this shit. The alt-right already think shit like this happens everyday.

What people need to stop doing in this thread is attempting to dismiss the harm false reporting does to actual victims of violence with the excuse that victims already aren't believed. A highly publicized case like this reaches the general public not just the alt right, even if all they hear is the words staged attack it poisons peoples minds and predisposes them to doubt victims as their first reaction.

We don't need anyone making it harder for victims to come forward, so yes people are right to be mad at him and no, no one needs to "stop this shit" just because it apparently makes some users here have some kind of kneejerk reaction to him getting exposed.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Also, people should stop blaming everything to mental health.

Sometimes, all the reasons that people do dumb things are just that they're simply selfish arseholes.

There's this weird presumption about (neurotypical) humans as inherently rational beings who would never do anything that doesn't 'make sense', which from the outside looking in is just a laugh. While some kind of mental condition could factor in, it's hardly necessary.

But yeah, cases like this are frustrating, if it does transpire Smollett staged the whole thing; every time someone decides to fake an assault it delegitimises the concept, even though it simultaneously relies on a tacit acknowledgement it's plausible enough for the intended audience to buy into it.

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I keep seeing this thread act like it's a fact that the police are saying Smollet's attack was a hoax, and yet every time I look into it, the police are literally saying the opposite, while some news outfit with an unnamed source "within the police department" is saying otherwise. Is there any actual evidence that the police are treating Smollet as a hoaxer, or is it all still just unnamed source reporting, with no clear evidence?
Im assuming since its an active investigation police wont comment until they have reached a final conclusion.... thats normal procedure.
EDIt: on the topic if he did orchestrate it screw him for trying to take advantage of other victims for his own profit. If he didnt horrible thing for him to go through. I dont have a strong opinion as of now myself . I havent followed this closely enough to make a judgement.

But police in general will not put out statements until they are reach to charge/not charge etc .. its basic police procedure during an going investigations.

Last edited:

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
This dude is obviously some variant of narcissistic sociopath (given current reporting).

In his ABC interview his face was covered in duper's delight, and the "gay Tupac" quip hints at delusions of grandeur. Obvious in hindsight.

The worst news is of course that this will now embolden or entrench some of the more fence-sitting Republican-types into dismissing such attacks or accusations in future.

But I hope this scandal can be salvaged as a learning experience in some way: even if it's just forum news behavior and etiquette.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
So in terms of RL consequences, a senate bill was introduced 3 days ago by Kamala Harris, Cory Booker, and Tim Scott (2 or all 3 presidential hopefuls?) and all of them brought up the Smollett attack as evidence as to why the bill was needed:
https://www.advocate.com/politics/2...-lynching-bill-wake-jussie-smollett-interview

Well... not sure if any of the 3 would still push for the bill anymore given these connotations, even though I'm sure its still needed/important. Did these new revelations torpedo real legislation?

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Few things didn't check out..
and I bet they arrested the brothers because they left finger prints on the "threatening" letter they sent to his work two weeks prior..
In any case, racist attacks are often brutal and cruel, saying the perpetrators were kicking his back in a tussle etc... I just couldn't believe these guys would have been so tame.
Also, he didn't exactly say "I often go to this place to get food" etc, so the guys conveniently had a noose with them.. and after barely beating him, took the time to place it around his neck. The cruelty associated with a real crime of this nature goes down alot worse than this did.
Ive seen these kinds of attacks and the violence associated with it. More often than not, perps jump and kick the victims head, wanting to inflict cerebral trauma and death. They'd break bones, cause fractures even. But he just had superficial injuries.
I hope he gets arrested if he did orchestrate it, liars cast doubt on real victims of race attacks. and thats why this pisses me off if he did orchestrate it.

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
This dude is obviously some variant of narcissistic sociopath (given current reporting).

In his ABC interview his face was covered in duper's delight, and the "gay Tupac" quip hints at delusions of grandeur. Obvious in hindsight.

The worst news is of course that this will now embolden or entrench some of the more fence-sitting Republican-types into dismissing such attacks or accusations in future.

But I hope this scandal can be salvaged as a learning experience in some way: even if it's just forum news behavior and etiquette.

I didn't know what you meant by "duper's delight" so I looked it up.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/duping_delight

"The pleasure of being able to manipulate someone, often made visible to others by flashing a smile at an inappropriate moment."

By this time next year, if he's not in prison, I expect Jussie Smollett to be working as a cashier at a general store in a small mining colony in Alaska. If he has the ability to feel shame, I suspect he may never be able to look another human in the eye again.

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I remember reading the original story and feeling something didn't seem right but attributed that to it being a disturbing story. It was still developing and in this day I wasn't skeptical of it being untrue given what's going on in the world today. Strange to se me it was possibly staged. I wouldn't use this as proof that stuff like this going forward is all fake. Hate crimes can and still do happen.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just normal for Americans to keep receipts for everything? As an Australian I would not likely keep receipts for a hat or some rope I bought, and I really really really really wouldn't keep the receipts if said hat and rope were to be a conspicuous part of an illegal act.
What is with this forum and asking if Americans™ do an absurd thing. Of course we don't all keep receipts for everything, but if the cops were to search my place I'm sure they'd find all kinds of old receipts crumpled up in trash cans that haven't been emptied yet or at the bottoms of pockets or purses or shopping bags. Sure, it's dumb to inadvertently hold on to a paper receipt linking you to a staged crime but criminal masterminds wouldn't have participated in this apparently harebrained scheme in the first place.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This story was highly suspect from day one.

i never could figure out why two maga dudes would even know or care who he was (he isnt really a household name or highly recognizable), recognize him from a show they almost assuredly do not watch, be on the prowl for him in the middle of the night on a zero degree evening, waiting for his random subway sandwich craving...

Deleted member 43514

Banned
May 16, 2018
Takes a real piece of shit to orchestrate a hate crime for personal gain, tarnishing the credibility of future hate crimes, making light of the current climate, while having the temerity to still play the race card against the, "doubters and haters". But that is irrelevant, because reputation and career aside that shit is minor compared to what will happen to him if its proven he sent that letter via USPS, that's automatic felony time. Don't fuck with the mail.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Takes a real piece of shit to orchestrate a hate crime for personal gain, tarnishing the credibility of future hate crimes, making light of the current climate, while having the temerity to still play the race card against the, "doubters and haters". But that is irrelevant, because reputation and career aside that shit is minor compared to what will happen to him if its proven he sent that letter via USPS, that's automatic felony time. Don't fuck with the mail.
Sadly this isnt the first time for something like this. Its probably the most high profile person to be caught doing it though. Most of the others caught have been students and exes afaik.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Sad thing is Hollywood will make a comedy out of this one day, like they did about the pizza delivery guy who had a bomb strapped to him.

It'll get good reviews too.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is madness, he's going to catch some heat for this... if true. That's his career done as well

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, people should stop blaming everything to mental health.

Sometimes, all the reasons that people do dumb things are just that they're simply selfish arseholes.

Yeah, that's infuriating. It oversimplifies mental health concerns by implying if someone does something stupid or selfish more burden and onus can be put straight onto their mental capacity/afflictions. Almost as a shield for their actions.

Meanwhile literally tens if not hundreds of millions of people suffer from anxiety, depression, PTSD and more and do not try and carry out what seems to be a hoax, for lack of a better descriptor, and then go on national TV and do an interview about it.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Few things didn't check out..
and I bet they arrested the brothers because they left finger prints on the "threatening" letter they sent to his work two weeks prior..
In any case, racist attacks are often brutal and cruel, saying the perpetrators were kicking his back in a tussle etc... I just couldn't believe these guys would have been so tame.
Also, he didn't exactly say "I often go to this place to get food" etc, so the guys conveniently had a noose with them.. and after barely beating him, took the time to place it around his neck. The cruelty associated with a real crime of this nature goes down alot worse than this did.
Ive seen these kinds of attacks and the violence associated with it. More often than not, perps jump and kick the victims head, wanting to inflict cerebral trauma and death. They'd break bones, cause fractures even. But he just had superficial injuries.
I hope he gets arrested if he did orchestrate it, liars cast doubt on real victims of race attacks. and thats why this pisses me off if he did orchestrate it.
When on GMA, he said that he was actually heading to a Walgreens he thought was open 24 hours a day. Subway was the backup.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was being written out of his TV show and he thought (because he's apparently a nutjob) that racking up media attention would let him stay on the show...somehow?

Well, it initially did work

Empire producer 20th Century Fox Television, meanwhile, issued a statement undercutting the motive for any alleged hoax, saying, "The idea that Jussie Smollett has been, or would be, written off of Empire is patently ridiculous. He remains a core player on this very successful series and we continue to stand behind him."

This will probably become a "life comes at you fast" for 20th Century Fox when/if the inevitable "Jussie Smollett canned from Empire" headline does the rounds.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

i never could figure out why two maga dudes would even know or care who he was (he isnt really a household name or highly recognizable), recognize him from a show they almost assuredly do not watch, be on the prowl for him in the middle of the night on a zero degree evening, waiting for his random subway sandwich craving...
Premeditation, a planned attack that took months to orchestrate. Probaby a old high school bully, because you're right, who the hell is Jussie and why would he be so recognizable out of context late at night....otherwise it made no sense, at least that's what I told myself. But when the two white MAGA hat wearing racists ended up being two black fitness models that use to be on the show and photos surfaced of them being chummy. Well yeah....bullshit alarm galore.

rm082e

Banned
Dec 16, 2017
I just saw that video of Ellen Page on Colbert talking about this. I feel really bad for her now.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is madness, he's going to catch some heat for this... if true. That's his career done as well

His career lol? Can't he go to jail for this shit?

I've refrained from saying anything on this because frankly I didn't want to be banned lol. I suppose I can understand the mods' long-standing position on victim blaming etc. I get it - and I appreciate it. THAT SAID...this shit right here? It always seemed off! And, shit, I'm black. Maybe it was just too on those nose for me with the MAGA hats and noose...and idk. Who the fuck walks around with a noose around their neck for that long? The whole thing stunk from the beginning and it sucks legitimate victims may have a harder time coming forward.

Put his ass in jail if he was in anyway complicit.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Dude's gonna get name-dropped by Trump during 'both sides' rants in his rallies from now on.

Well maybe not, doubt Trump can pronounce his name.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the first clue would be "Why would two MAGA bros know what empire was, at least enough to know he was in it, and gay?"

Weird, all around.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
We need to do another poll for the ResetEra Slogan because this would probably be my pick at this point.
Remember when resetera was being formalized and improving the moderation was a point for the new website lol.

Im so disappointed in him for this. He's also the only one on Empire with any talent. Why would they write him out. I dont buy that. He just wanted to be the gay tupac

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I guess the first clue would be "Why would two MAGA bros know what empire was, at least enough to know he was in it, and gay?"

Weird, all around.
Ehhh, I dont think thats valid. Maga bros dont live in caves lol. They could very well know who he is. That said the fact that they would identify as maga bros was probably the red flag for me. Maybe they would name drop trump in the attack, but full blown maga?

Anyways hindsight is 20/20. Asking questions and remaining skeptical is not victim blaming. Worst thing about all this is that he just hurt the credibility of another victim by being selfish. Not mentally ill. Just selfish.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017

Yep. I don't believe that I ever commented on the original thread, because of these reasons. Sometimes it's okay to wait for more information when not all of the pieces fit together.

Edit: And of course the investigation still isn't over, but...it's not looking too good.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh, I dont think thats valid. Maga bros dont live in caves lol. They could very well know who he is. That said the fact that they would identify as maga bros was probably the red flag for me. Maybe they would name drop trump in the attack, but full blown maga?

Anyways hindsight is 20/20. Asking questions and remaining skeptical is not victim blaming. Worst thing about all this is that he just hurt the credibility of another victim by being selfish. Not mentally ill. Just selfish.

It was definitely the "This is MAGA country" this that was the red flag. It gets into comical territory. Like the idiot that spray painted "BLACKS RULE" on his driveway.

Fergie

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
England m8.
What a fucking moron.

I just wanna know what his plan was? All the cameras? Didn't know the police would search deep?

Why?

Misleading all the people who genuinely supported and defended him as well.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Ignoring staff post and consistent history of trolling
Attention. And now he got the wrong kind of attention for his cause.

So, about those members who were banned for "victim blaming" when they questioned the original reporting...
As if the mods would accept any fault. Now you're mod blaming

Victim blaming requires a victim, to begin with.

If "no victim blaming" means we're meant to never question facts or details, good luck having a discussion.
You just noticed you aren't really allowed to have a discussion around here?

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, the whole time you wanted him to not to be lying, because damn.. what a shitty thing to lie about. The whole thing just seemed too absurd to be true from the start.

He couldn't just make it a random hate crime, nah.. it was like he made up a caricature of a racist trump supporter.

Oct 28, 2017
Of course the story is still developing but if Jussie created a fake story, he needs to confess pretty damn soon or else public opinion will tank for a longer time than if he doesn't confess.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
If it was a hoax (still a big IF as anonymous sources have their own motivations), I'm going to chalk this up to the guy having some mental health issues and I hope he gets the help he needs and people extend some sympathy/empathy to him, which I know might be hard, but if you can extend some level of sympathy/empathy to hardcore racists because they remind you of an aunt/uncle/grandparent, and believe their actions are down to mental health issues, I'm sure you can believe the same here too.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
He couldn't just make it a random hate crime, nah.. it was like he made up a caricature of a racist trump supporter.
That's where he fucked up, if he just said "I was attacked and called racial and homophobic slurs" and left it at that? We would not be having this conversation today. All the doubt stems from the horrible script he wrote for this story.

Chicago PD have no problem speaking up and saying "no this is not true" they did that recently when other questionable sources popped up. They didn't do that this time.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. I don't believe that I ever commented on the original thread, because of these reasons. Sometimes it's okay to wait for more information when not all of the pieces fit together.

Edit: And of course the investigation still isn't over, but...it's not looking too good.
Me too. The story seemed off from the start. I really, really wished it wasn't fake but all signs so far point to it being one. A MAGA tirade usually happens in a public setting like a a mall or a restaurant where their racist brain cells activate and make a scene - usually after a trigger. The victim is talking in Spanish or wearing a Hijab or something. This seemed awfully targeted.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is not shocking to me. It never passed the smell test. Like, it's clear that this was a targeted attack (people don't just randomly drive around with nooses checking for minor celebrities whose identity they have a problem with) but totally unclear how they would have known where he was at that time. It also seems unlikely to me that a racist caricature would be familiar with minor character actors from Empire. It was obvious to me that there was more to the story at least and I didn't want to outright assume he just faked it but I'm not surprised either

Status
Not open for further replies.