• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Failing to merge correctly and fabricating a racist attack are not quite the same thing

I'm saying the facts are not lining up and that we need to wait for more information. Not sure why stating this would be a surprise to anyone

I'm not saying they're even in the same ballpark - I am saying people do stupid irrational and dangerous selfish shit all the time. At staggering population percentages.

The most surprising aspect is the complexity and premeditation. Assuming it's true. Which we still don't know.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hahaha, oh wow, what a fucking embarrassment. Though not that surprising, it looked weird from the beginning, and then the two Nigerian brothers...

Oct 27, 2017
The argument you're making kind of sounds like what was used with Ted Bundy, "no criminal record", "doesn't make sense off what we know"

People can be surprising. It has happened. It has always happened.
Yep, the only way people can have a history of something is if they do that thing at least once. Hopefully this is Jussie's first and last swing at this.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The argument you're making kind of sounds like what was used with Ted Bundy, "no criminal record", "doesn't make sense off what we know"

People can be surprising. It has happened. It has always happened.
Like I sad before, if he's got some kind of psychological issue then the motivation makes more sense. I'm not saying there is not possible explanation.
I think people are just more curious as to what you feel will be proven with more information on his motives, and for what purpose, or if you're just curious for curiosity's sake for the story, and not intending to try to find deeper meaning behind it.

If it's just for curiosity's sake, then yeah, I'm sure that information will come out regardless. If it's to try and find a deeper meaning into the whole situation, then you may want to be more clear as far as what that entails.
I'm saying normally people don't fake racist attacks in an attempt to climb the social ladder. So it's hard for me to believe we have the full picture because that motivation doesn't make any sense, as it stands (if this is indeed what happened). I don't know what to expect to find. Maybe he's got a mental issue. Maybe there's another layer to his motivation. I don't know. That's why we should wait for more information.

There's not some secret theory I'm holding back from you.
I'm not saying they're even in the same ballpark - I am saying people do stupid irrational and dangerous selfish shit all the time. At staggering population percentages.

The most surprising aspect is the complexity and premeditation. Assuming it's true. Which we still don't know.
If your point was to tell me lots of people do stupid things, yes, I know.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Also, people should stop blaming everything to mental health.

Sometimes, all the reasons that people do dumb things are just that they're simply selfish arseholes.

Last edited:

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Like I sad before, if he's got some kind of psychological issue then the motivation makes more sense. I'm not saying there is not possible explanation.

I'm saying normally people don't fake racist attacks in an attempt to climb the social ladder. So it's hard for me to believe we have the full picture because that motivation doesn't make any sense, as it stands (if this is indeed what happened). I don't know what to expect to find. Maybe he's got a mental issue. Maybe there's another layer to his motivation. I don't know. That's why we should wait for more information.

There's not some secret theory I'm holding back from you.

If you're here to tell me lots of people do stupid things, yes, I know.
Do you not understand that blaming what's more than likely the byproduct of egotistical behavior (based on the gay Tupac nonsense, his kind of arrogant instagram stories, wanting to be seen as a fighter) on mental health is such a backhanded slap to people with actual illnesses...

It's gullible to think people only do bad things because of a psychological problem. I don't think people should just default to that explanation without some sort of evidence or history of illness.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Do you not understand that blaming what's more than likely egotistical behavior (based on the gay Tupac nonsense, his kind of arrogant instagram stories, wanting to be seen as a fighter) on mental health is such a backhanded slap to people with actual illnesses...

It's gullible to think people only do bad things because of a psychological problem.
I never said this. I'm saying the motivation as it stands doesn't make much sense with the context we have.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sources said one of the brothers held the rope and poured bleach while the other wore a plain red hat and yelled slurs at Smollett.

The sources say the red hat was bought at an Uptown beauty supply store and that the attack was supposed to happen before Jan. 29. The brothers told detectives the three men rehearsed the attack days prior to it happening.
Police raided the the brothers' home on Wednesday, the same day police met them at O'Hare International Airport, as they were returning from Nigeria.
Police left behind an inventory list. Some of the items seized include a black face mask hat, an Empire script, phone, receipts, a red hat and bleach.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/0...d-bought-rope-used-in-jussie-smollett-attack/

What an infuriating story.
This sounds like an episode of South Park.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I never said this. I'm saying the motivation as it stands doesn't make much sense with the context we have.

I think what people are saying is no motivation is going to make sense. If you are looking for a logical reason that a person would hire people to jump him and fake a hate crime, you are never going to find it.

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No, he doesn't need a psychological issue to have done this. Many people in this thread had hypothesized that his main motive to have done this was to "gain clout". You're acting like him trying to gain recognition through this (which ABSOLUTELY made him famous) is some outlandish thing that could never happen. You're either being naive or obtuse.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
You said that that motivation doesn't make sense unless he has a psychological problem...
No, he doesn't need a psychological issue to have done this. Many people in this thread had hypothesized that his main motive to have done this was to "gain clout". You're acting like him trying to gain recognition through this (which ABSOLUTELY made him famous) is some outlandish thing that could never happen. You're either being naive or obtuse.
Normally people don't play elaborate hate crimes to clime the social ladder, so as it stands, no it doesn't make much sense. And I'm saying we probably need to wait for more information to get an insight into how it was planned and what the thought processes was (if this is indeed what happened).

I've said this multiple times. I never said the only possible explanation is that he's got a psychological problem.

And I already said maybe there's no other context and that he just thought he could get away with it.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Hold up. I've been misunderstanding this the whole time. I was reading these stories as 2 white dudes who took a vacation to NIgeria. Now, I see its 2 brothers that are from Nigeria who supposedly went out and purchased red caps and a noose and one is his personal trainer? Come on. This shit reeks.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think what people are saying is no motivation is going to make sense. If you are looking for a logical reason that a person would hire people to jump him and fake a hate crime, you are never going to find it.

Agreed. I can't imagine a scenario where someone fakes a hate crime than lays out what motivated them and I say "Yup, I can see why they faked that hate crime".

It very well may what motivated them to fake the hate crime, but I can't see it motivating me or anyone else to do the same.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Normally people don't play elaborate hate crimes to clime the social ladder, so as it stands, no it doesn't make much sense. And I'm saying we probably need to wait for more information to get an insight into how it was planned and what the thought processes was (if this is indeed what happened).

I've said this multiple times. I never said the only possible explanation is that he's got a psychological problem.

This
Is
Not
Normal

Stop looking for what is normal, or logical, or rational, in a story about a guy who paid people to kick his ass.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This
Is
Not
Normal

Stop looking for what is normal, or logical, or rational, in a story about a guy who paid people to kick his ass.
I agree with you, no they don't. But a lot of people have done shit that many people haven't "normally done" to accomplish something. We should wait and see what happens legally, but what information we have now is damning, which is why you see the reactions throughout this thread.
I'm just gunna leave this at "I'm gunna wait for more info", like I said before.

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And I already said maybe there's no other context and that he just thought he could get away with it.

I agree with you, no they don't. But a lot of people have done shit that many people haven't "normally done" to accomplish something. We should wait and see what happens legally, but what information we have now is damning, which is why you see the reactions throughout this thread.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just gunna leave this at "I'm gunna wait for more info", like I said before.

If you are waiting for info that is going to make you understand why someone would pay people to kick his ass and then frame it as a hate crime, you're never going to get it.

Go look at all the shit Tekashi69 has gotten himself into over chasing fame and tell me if you find it normal or rational.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If you are waiting for info that is going to make you understand why someone would pay people to kick his ass and then frame it as a hate crime, you're never going to get it.
I'm waiting for more info in general. I'm not expecting it to make perfect sense with a thorough explanation. This conversation is not going anywhere else.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Sources said one of the brothers held the rope and poured bleach while the other wore a plain red hat and yelled slurs at Smollett.

The sources say the red hat was bought at an Uptown beauty supply store and that the attack was supposed to happen before Jan. 29. The brothers told detectives the three men rehearsed the attack days prior to it happening.
Police raided the the brothers' home on Wednesday, the same day police met them at O'Hare International Airport, as they were returning from Nigeria.
Police left behind an inventory list. Some of the items seized include a black face mask hat, an Empire script, phone, receipts, a red hat and bleach.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/0...d-bought-rope-used-in-jussie-smollett-attack/

What an infuriating story.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

The context for this is Hollywood. He's not in a normal business environment like you or I would be in, so I wouldn't dismiss entirely based on that. Shit be crazy there.

amnesties

Nov 17, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Misrepresenting Moderation; Antagonistic Behavior; Ignoring Staff Post
mods have a lot to answer for here. especially after reports from reliable news media was coming out that it could be a hoax and they still banned people. but people in power never admit when they're wrong

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
What was it about the story that "reeked" at the very start? I'm so curious about this line of thinking.

Because it wasn't until later when there started being some legitimate questions.

I know, what wasn't to believe?

Two Trump supports leave the all-night laundry after washing their robes. Naturally, they had some leftover bleach and some clothesline they had just purchased to hang up their clothes when they got home, when they ran into an actor they recognized from that Empire binge night last week. They expertly ambushed him in the cameras' blind spots, but Jussie fought them off one-handed while eating a sandwich.

I really don't understand why people were suspicious.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Ah so the count is now officially..

1. Chipotle Thread.
2. This thread..

compared to:: still all ongoing racism threads by the hour...which seemed to double this month.

The mods are really slipping..yeah, thats it.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Not dismissing anything, just saying we should wait for more info because it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.

Wait for more info for what, exacty? What knowledge do you wish to gain from this new info? What info do you actually want, exactly, before you can say you have everything that you need? Do you wish something would happen with this mysterious new information that you're waiting for?

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
Is it just normal for Americans to keep receipts for everything? As an Australian I would not likely keep receipts for a hat or some rope I bought, and I really really really really wouldn't keep the receipts if said hat and rope were to be a conspicuous part of an illegal act.

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just normal for Americans to keep receipts for everything? As an Australian I would not likely keep receipts for a hat or some rope I bought, and I really really really really wouldn't keep the receipts if said hat and rope were to be a conspicuous part of an illegal act.

Maybe they had to submit them to Jussie to claim expenses.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
The records are probably the store's. Even if they kept receipts, I don't know how police would ever find it.

Credit card info, surveillance cameras, and/or cell phone GPS data would be the only thing I can think of that they'd be able to track it down from there.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
this is now straight up out of a CSI/NCIS/etc parody, the three guys REHEARSED it? lol what if they even filmed the rehearsal so Jessie could make notes on what to change.

Jesus Christ he should never work in any TV show again just based on how insanely stupid he sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.