• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
The weirdest part of the story was never the weather, or the noose, or the bleach.

Its is simply how you can anticipate someone walking out of their apartment building at 2am. Assuming it is preplanned, you think 2 guys said to themselves, hey lets wait for Jussie at 2am in the morning when he will leave his building and we will get him then, AND get it right? You just cant predict this stuff.

drog

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
User banned (3 days): ignoring staff post, misrepresenting moderation
were people seriously being banned over questioning the validity of this story? sounded fraudulent from the jump...smh.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Targeted hate crimes happen. Milo Yiannopolis is known for doing it to unfamous trans students at colleges.

Its more the whole combination of everything

- It being at 2 am on one of the coldest nights of the year
- him randomly going to Subway at that time
- These guys happening to be waiting at that exact moment in below freezing temperatures
- Them having a bottle of bleach and a noose handy on them
- Screaming "MAGA Country" in Chicago of all places

Its just a very strange story, and seemed weird from the start. Not impossible of course, hate crimes absolutely happen in this country. If his story had been he was doing an appearance somewhere and some racist asshole spit at him and called him a slur I wouldn't doubt it for a second, as that happens constantly. But this particular story was just very strange from the jump

mercenar1e

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
User banned (3 days): ignoring staff most, misrepresenting moderation
were people seriously being banned over questioning the validity of this story? sounded fraudulent from the jump...smh.

of course.. haven't you noticed how things are like around here? lol

i wouldn't be surprised to see him facing charges any day now.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I swear this place is filled with the most stubborn people, why is it so hard for some people to admit they were wrong? No one is currently nor was in the previous thread saying racism is not a significant issue in this country nor are they saying that hate crimes against people of color do not happen regularly.

It's pretty clear some people have no desire to introspect. Being hostile to other posters in an obviously confusing story doesn't make you a righteous warrior - it makes you an asshole. (Royal you)

And to be clear, that's not a comment on the mods. Some of the banned users I saw were banned because they were previously banned and then came back and wouldn't drop the subject or were being hostile.

Even after this I'm still confused about a few things:

1) if he hired the guys, why did he supposedly confirm they were the attackers? That would obviously lead back to him

2) the only motive presented by the news was that he was going to get fired and that was swiftly denied by Fox. If they were right about it being a hoax, how'd they get that so wrong? Was it not wrong?

It's clearly sounding more like a hoax, but those two things still bug me.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Targeted hate crimes happen. Milo Yiannopolis is known for doing it to unfamous trans students at colleges.
For sure. I'm still waiting for this to conclude as well. Not looking good for Jussie, though. But it's when all those facts add up, that you start wondering about the weirdness of it all.

Personally, I believed the original story, but thought it was weird. Many people did. I never thought it would get here. Nor am I thinking "told you so". If this story ends up the way it is looking, it will be a tragedy on many levels. Jussie seemed to be a very stand up guy outside of this. His reputation will be shattered along with hurting victims of hate crimes going forward.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
his story sounded fishy to me from the beginning. I didn't comment on the original thread cause I didn't wanna get banned. I guess my intuition was correct

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
To believe Smollett (a man who, if things play out how they appear to be playing out, is a massive liar) over the police and the Nigerian brothers they interviewed and obtained evidence from, appears to me to be ignoring facts because fiction is more comfortable.

As someone else in this thread, I sure hope you hold this exact stance of innocent until proven guilty for every person accused of a crime (including Smollett's "attackers"). Otherwise it's pretty hypocritical.
Let's just say I'll believe a victim of assault over the attacker until the facts come out.

I have no problem condemning Smollett if the accusations against him are true. He would be fucking over so many real victims of assault.

Equating that to meaning I'll defend the alleged attackers as well is a big goddamn stretch. This is all I will say on the matter.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

tumblr_owk7rfCBmN1r1ult6o1_500.gif

You can make yourself look bad all on your own

Steelrain

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty clear some people have no desire to introspect. Being hostile to other posters in an obviously confusing story doesn't make you a righteous warrior - it makes you an asshole. (Royal you)

And to be clear, that's not a comment on the mods. Some of the banned users I saw were banned because they were previously banned and then came back and wouldn't drop the subject or were being hostile.

Even after this I'm still confused about a few things:

1) if he hired the guys, why did he supposedly confirm they were the attackers? That would obviously lead back to him

2) the only motive presented by the news was that he was going to get fired and that was swiftly denied by Fox. If they were right about it being a hoax, how'd they get that so wrong? Was it not wrong?

It's clearly sounding more like a hoax, but those two things still bug me.
I'm guessing he thought the images released of those dudes we're so bad, the police would never figure it out. He probably didn't expect CPD to throw so many resources into figuring this shit out. I'm sure him and his lawyers are writing something up to put out as I type this so I guess we'll see how he wants to play this.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is like the 5th time attacks on democrats or left leaning people has ended up being staged. Terrible look at this point.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For sure. I'm still waiting for this to conclude as well. Not looking good for Jussie, though. But it's when all those facts add up, that you start wondering about the weirdness of it all.

Personally, I believed the original story, but thought it was weird. Many people did. I never thought it would get here. Nor am I thinking "told you so". If this story ends up the way it is looking, it will be a tragedy on many levels. Jussie seemed to be a very stand up guy outside of this. His reputation will be shattered along with hurting victims of hate crimes going forward.

Yeah this was me. Story always felt off but I was siding with believing him over instantly condemning him, because hate crimes are a real thing. It always felt "off" but just having that feeling isn't enough

That said, now that its looking like actual evidence is coming forth this was a hoax, I don't find it surprising considering how weird the original story was

That doesn't mean people should run around saying "I told you so" because 9 times out of 10 these hate crimes are the real deal. Higher than that more likely. But yeah, its also true that in strange circumstances like this, people shouldn't rush to condemn those that question things as long as its being done respectfully

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I am so fucking furious that shitheads are gonna weaponize this story in order to try and give validity to "false accusations" and defend future bullshittery.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing he thought the images released of those dudes we're so bad, the police would never figure it out. He probably didn't expect CPD to throw so many resources into figuring this shit out. I'm sure him and his lawyers are writing something up to put out as I type this so I guess we'll see how he wants to play this.
My exact thought too. When the pic was feleased i was thinking wtf is this gonna do?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Only now catching up on this story because I live under a rock, but damn, this is bizarre.
I am so fucking furious that shitheads are gonna weaponize this story in order to try and give validity to "false accusations" and defend future bullshittery.
That's the worst part, and what makes him faking this (if true), reprehensible.

Hourglass97

Feb 16, 2019
The weirdest part of the story was never the weather, or the noose, or the bleach.

Its is simply how you can anticipate someone walking out of their apartment building at 2am. Assuming it is preplanned, you think 2 guys said to themselves, hey lets wait for Jussie at 2am in the morning when he will leave his building and we will get him then, AND get it right? You just cant predict this stuff.

Its more the whole combination of everything

- It being at 2 am on one of the coldest nights of the year
- him randomly going to Subway at that time
- These guys happening to be waiting at that exact moment in below freezing temperatures
- Them having a bottle of bleach and a noose handy on them
- Screaming "MAGA Country" in Chicago of all places

Its just a very strange story, and seemed weird from the start. Not impossible of course, hate crimes absolutely happen in this country. If his story had been he was doing an appearance somewhere and some racist asshole spit at him and called him a slur I wouldn't doubt it for a second, as that happens constantly. But this particular story was just very strange from the jump

I feel like that's what some people in this thread can't get over. Just because people question an outlandish story does not mean they're denying that hate crimes exist, and NO I'm not imply that it's outlandish or hard to believe because it's a hate crime, it's outlandish and hard to believe because of the details mentioned here. If you're making any sort of snap judgement about the motives of people who were skeptical before there was confirmation, thinking they were ignorant, victim blaming, or not taking the accusation seriously, let me suggest that your desire to have a spotlight shown on the plight of vulnerable communities overrode your common sense.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only other one I can recall that blew up was the Muslim girl who claimed she was physically attacked right after Trump was elected that was proved to be a hoax

But I can't think of any other high profile ones besides that
And this one

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/21/us/mississippi-church-fire.html

There was also a democrat political office that was vandalized that ended being done by leftists trying to frame Trump supporters as well. I'll see if I can dig it up.

There's plenty of cases of GOP supporters doing the same, which shouldn't be a surprise.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of how this shakes out, trusting the police is laughworthy.
i don't trust them when a story involves one of their officers but this doesn't involve them at all. i'll at the very least accept their word when it involves a giant scandal and they have the attention of all the media.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And you can say so without doing so in manner that blames the victim for any possibility they made decisions that lead to their injury. You may disagree with the forums rules on victim blaming but it's not a difficult rule to abide by since it allows you enough room to question events without having to do that.

I don't understand how you can express doubt about a case like this without victim blaming. For example, I thought it was suspicious that he didn't want to give his phone to the police. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to not give your phone to the police, and there are also plenty of illegitimate reasons as seen here.

But wouldn't the very mention of "him not giving his phone to the police is suspicious" be a form of victim blaming? Is there any way to express that sentiment without blaming the victim?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't trust them when a story involves one of their officers but this doesn't involve them at all. i'll at the very least accept their word when it involves a giant scandal and they have the attention of all the media.

Yeah

If this was a case involving an individual cop doing something fucked up to a person of color, well we've seen how that goes. Tons of time police do horrible things to POC

But they weren't even involved in this situation at all, and have the entire media bearing down on them over this one. The idea they are just trying to fuck over Jussie is borderline conspiracy theory

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
his story sounded fishy to me from the beginning. I didn't comment on the original thread cause I didn't wanna get banned. I guess my intuition was correct

After the investigation didn't turn up results fairly quickly, like within a week, I became a little skeptical. I stayed quiet because I figured there was still a possibility the cops weren't disclosing information; high-profile case, don't want internet sleuths (Reddit) speculating and having the wrong people targeted, etc. My reasoning:

1. Cameras are everywhere on businesses now, particularly in large cities

2. With #1 in consideration, I found it very likely that the suspects could be easily identified, especially because it took place at 2AM in the freezing cold. How many people would even be out that late in that kind of cold? So, identifying suspects should be even easier than usual

3. Smollet isn't exactly a household name. Yet the attackers came prepared, and knew where he would be at 2AM. So it was obvious to me that they either knew him or lived close by - possibly a neighbor - so they were aware of him and would know he was out. With that in mind, it should have made narrowing down the suspects even easier

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Here's what Don Jr. doesn't understand.

The news reported on the POLICE REPORTS and their official statements about the incident.
And, egregiously, the FACTS are that Jussie Smollett WAS attacked. Investigation is now saying the attack, which did happened, was self-orchestrated.

But nothing the news reported was incorrect. That's the point of investigation, to shed light on the hows and whys of events and sourcing them correctly.

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
This story sounded fishy from the beginning. What a complete douchebag. How can someone even begin to think fabricating an assault is a great idea? It hurts real victims. Hopefully he gets punished accordingly.

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
was a little skeptical at first but thought best not to post because of all the bans(which was a little weird) but shit...... was hoping this wouldn't happen. whatever his reason for doing this the end result is damaging to actual hate crime victims, some kind of disciplinary action needs to be taken. News outlets reporting this should emphasize that this isn't a common occurrence and shouldn't make people doubt these victims more than before

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how you can express doubt about a case like this without victim blaming. For example, I thought it was suspicious that he didn't want to give his phone to the police. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to not give your phone to the police, and there are also plenty of illegitimate reasons as seen here.

But wouldn't the very mention of "him not giving his phone to the police is suspicious" be a form of victim blaming? Is there any way to express that sentiment without blaming the victim?
That is in no way victim blaming. Why are people trying to rewrite the definition of that term in an attempt to shut up opinions they don't want to hear?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
was a little skeptical at first but thought best not to post because of all the bans(which was a little weird) but shit...... was hoping this wouldn't happen. whatever his reason for doing this the end result is damaging to actual hate crime victims, some kind of disciplinary action needs to be taken. News outlets reporting this should emphasize that this isn't a common occurrence and shouldn't make people doubt these victims more than before
Agreed, though I have my cynicism that they'll do so.

The FBI has documented statistics on hate crimes that are shockingly high and verified.

If this one turns out bogus, it doesn't negate the thousands that happen annually.

Status
Not open for further replies.