• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Shall I put on my shocked face? Traveled out of state from MA for second time (COVID tests prior to both departures, to places with fairly low rates) and it's insane how many people don't bother wearing masks or pull them off they're outside of where they're required to wear them, or wear them wrong, or protest when they're told they need to wear them. A minor inconvenience to protect others (I suppose 'protect others' is the key) is somehow an affront to their lives and FREEDOMS.

COVID has basically crushed any sliver of optimism I might have had left for our ability to combat climate change.

There is a lot of blame to go around, but I want to also point out that the US media just got tired of it, and if you open a US paper today you'd barely know there is a pandemic -

A ton of ads on TV also scream at people "go out and have fun" right now.

I'm sure NYTimes and others will have full page spreads when official tally hits 200k, perhaps in the upcoming Sunday paper which is their big one. Given the gravity of the SCOTUS situation and that tally not quite jumping over 200k officially it makes sense to me they'd focus today's on RBG and her legacy/impact of her death. I'd also be surprised if there wasn't a very major debate within the paper about when/what to do for 200k and if it should be the focus of today's paper.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
That's not a bad plan, actually. Making up a story that you came in close contact with it.

I'll put that one in my back pocket as like a nuclear option in case my family keeps giving me shit.

Yeah I mean I hate the idea of willingly deceiving friends or family, but my first concern is everyone's health (my sister has 3 small children) and surviving the pandemic moreso than it is hurting feelings or being untruthful.

At least I can (half) truthfully say a coworker got it....... *ahem*....... in April....

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Why the fuck as schools open in the US? We're so fucking stupid.

I'm amazed that we're unwilling to go back into the office but we're more than willing to throw our kids back in the classroom.

Fortunately Seattle is 100% remote for the foreseeable future, but some districts in the nearby counties are already planning to send the kids back starting next week.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Yea local news sites and coverage has mostly dropped covid coverage, it's just the usual and accepted at this point, stuffs opening left and right, more people not wearing masks more and more, parties, theaters, restaurants opening up in larger amounts.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Shall I put on my shocked face? Traveled out of state from MA for second time (COVID tests prior to both departures, to places with fairly low rates) and it's insane how many people don't bother wearing masks or pull them off they're outside of where they're required to wear them, or wear them wrong, or protest when they're told they need to wear them. A minor inconvenience to protect others (I suppose 'protect others' is the key) is somehow an affront to their lives and FREEDOMS.

COVID has basically crushed any sliver of optimism I might have had left for our ability to combat climate change.

I'm sure NYTimes and others will have full page spreads when official tally hits 200k, perhaps in the upcoming Sunday paper which is their big one. Given the gravity of the SCOTUS situation and that tally not quite jumping over 200k officially it makes sense to me they'd focus today's on RBG and her legacy/impact of her death. I'd also be surprised if there wasn't a very major debate within the paper about when/what to do for 200k and if it should be the focus of today's paper.

Lol same. I went up to NH a few weeks ago - restaurants and stores in the North Conway area were actually impressively responsible in regards to masks and other preventative measures, but the rest of what I saw throughout the state? It was the wild west.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
This one pissed me off because we had Halloween on a Saturday this year. I am so angry at this fucking country.

Our federal response was an absolute disaster and resulted in unnecessary deaths, but without a vaccine, Halloween would have never been a smart idea. Look at Europe, they responded better than we did and they're already having problems again. Just wait until we get to Thanksgiving and Christmas.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
A+! ...except for fake news

"We're rounding the corner," he told "Fox & Friends" of the coronavirus during an interview Monday morning. "With or without a vaccine. They hate when I say that but that's the way it is. ... We've done a phenomenal job. Not just a good job, a phenomenal job. Other than public relations, but that's because I have fake news. On public relations, I give myself a D. On the job itself, we take an A+."
"A phenomenal job."

"A+."

www.cnn.com

Analysis: Donald Trump gives himself an 'A+' for his handling of the coronavirus. Uh, what?

Very soon, the United States will mark a somber milestone: 200,000 Americans will have died from the coronavirus.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Schools/colleges/dorms reopened
Labor day
More people continuing to not give a shit

flu season will be such a disaster

Basically this.

Even New Jersey which has been averaging pretty low daily cases over the last half of the summer is now ramping up again. If cases level out again in the next week or so then we can probably blame Labor Day weekend for that surge. I haven't really criticized Governor Murphy at all this entire time since March, but maybe opening indoor dining at 25% capacity at the kickoff of Labor Day weekend and the start of the new school season probably wasn't a good idea, just saying.

Dec 13, 2017
Over here it's because of college campuses. Before the school year began the daily cases were sub 20 and sometimes low single digits. Now it has been over 100 per day and over 200 per day recently.

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
There are no waves since we've never had a nationwide shutdown. It's just case after case after case...

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
I'm finally coming to terms that I probably won't see any of my family besides my spouse for over a year. Last time I saw my siblings was March 21st, about a week after the first lockdowns started in the U.S. I last saw my parents....in February for my dad's birthday? And we last visited my in-laws this past Christmas. Even early on in the lockdowns when it was clear that the U.S. gov't had totally fucked the response and we would be in lockdown for months not weeks, I kinda expected that we would be done by mid to late fall. But now we're 6 months deep and fucking backsliding.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what has happened in the past few weeks that could account for this. Hmm.

Schools are open, who didn't see this coming? You want to see community spread, open schools.

BobLablow

Apr 18, 2018
But Trump said we're turning the corner!

I'm starting to think we're running out of corners.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Its almost like we keep doing waves of infection as public standards for social distancing and mask wearing grow more lax as we go into flu season.

Oct 25, 2017
There are a few reasons:

Parents needed to go back to work because they stopped getting government assistance.

People have continually shouted that kids don't die from this, while completely ignoring the larger issue. Mainly that kids 100% can get this virus and are just as capable of spreading it.

There was an upwell of parents calling educators free loaders who just wanted to keep drinking mimosas and getting a free check. After all, if the individual at Wal-Mart can work, so can you. Completely forgetting the fact that those individuals are not in a locked room for hours a day with kids.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
And we still have no relief bill in sight with a potential government shutdown as we enter silly season before Election Day.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm over here with a sore throat and upset stomache scared as shit because a co-worker with kids in school thought it was a bright idea to come to work sick coughing all over the damn place last friday.

Z Y

Oct 27, 2017
My county in WV shut down schools in March when we had 3 confirmed cases. Now we have 87 and are adding around 5 a day and it's just...normal. Well normal until HS football is affected because of too many cases in a week then it's NOT FUCKING NORMAL and everyone must know about this grave injustice.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
They do say pretty much all pandemics have a second wave that are worse than the first. Only THEN does the USA and other nations shut themselves down "for real", when the losses are too devastating to actually bear.

Stay strong, everyone. It is going to be a long winter.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Isn't this happening everywhere? Not downplaying American leadership's gross negligence of COVID, but it seems like it's upticking again across Europe and other places as well.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this happening everywhere? Not downplaying American leadership's gross negligence of COVID, but it seems like it's upticking again across Europe and other places as well.

The problem is that the US never came close to getting it under control for any period of time unlike other nations. They're experiencing a second wave, we are just going from Bad to Worse.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'm amazed that we're unwilling to go back into the office but we're more than willing to throw our kids back in the classroom.

Fortunately Seattle is 100% remote for the foreseeable future, but some districts in the nearby counties are already planning to send the kids back starting next week.

On the contrary, I think going back to the office is like the primary reason they want kids back in the classroom.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
When is your company planning on sending employees back? My wife's is February at the earliest.

Mine isn't (and the kids here aren't going back to school anytime soon), but it probably varies based on what kind of job you have.

But if you live in a place where the majority of people want kids to go back to school, I'd think that same majority of people think it's safe to go back to work (or for the people under them to go back to work)

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Yes

Wisconsin just took off in the last week like crazy. They are matching or blowing away Illinois numbers which is crazy

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017

Yep. Tacoma and Kent are talking about going back. Both districts are touting all their safety measures which will mean nothing if a kid comes in sick. My wife's school had several cases before schools were closed last year.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017

The developed countries in Asia got it under control. It's basically do it right the first time and you'll deal with far more manageable levels where you can contain it if there's an outbreak again.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Yep. Tacoma and Kent are talking about going back. Both districts are touting all their safety measures which will mean nothing if a kid comes in sick. My wife's school had several cases before schools were closed last year.

I've got friends who live in Tacoma and received the email last night from the district, their plan is K-2 hybrid starting next Monday. Seems highly irresponsible.

Kent is, too? Fuuuck.

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
I've got friends who live in Tacoma and received the email last night from the district, their plan is K-2 hybrid starting next Monday. Seems highly irresponsible.

Kent is, too? Fuuuck.
Tacoma's plan is INSANE. Kent doesn't have a date but I got an email on Friday claiming they're trying to get kids in because cases in the area are low. Hopefully it's just wishful thinking on their part because I'd hate to have to switch my son over to the state's online school until there's a vaccine.

SlyCoug88

Jan 10, 2018
No turning back now. The government isn't getting a stimulus done, so people have to work unfortunately. Buckle up, everyone.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even just that schools are open.. it's more that around end of July/beginning of August, the powers that be decided that schools have to be open and didn't do any sort of planning or figuring shit out all summer about how they should open. It's a disaster and the primary reason we're homeschooling right now.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
As an anecdote, I went in a restaurant for the first time since March (other than this small Chinese place near by that is take out only) to pick up some food. One of the few places that doesn't do delivery or Door Dash. Anyway, it was a surreal experience to see everyone just casually eating and drinking like there isn't a god damned pandemic still happening. I definitely live in an area with full on cognitive dissonance about reality. I heard the cry of what had to have been a baby no older than a month old. I truly do not get what people are thinking. Driving home with the food I realized that pretty much every chain restaurant was at capacity just by looking at their parking lots..

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Tacoma's plan is INSANE. Kent doesn't have a date but I got an email on Friday claiming they're trying to get kids in because cases in the area are low. Hopefully it's just wishful thinking on their part because I'd hate to have to switch my son over to the state's online school until there's a vaccine.

Pierce County Health Department has been crazy vocal about opening schools back up on TV and radio for weeks now. I haven't heard anything from King County about it at all. Surprised about Kent.

My daughter goes to school here in Seattle, SPS will certainly be the very last district in the state to reopen. And I'm ok with that.

Oct 25, 2017
As an anecdote, I went in a restaurant for the first time since March (other than this small Chinese place near by that is take out only) to pick up some food. One of the few places that doesn't do delivery or Door Dash. Anyway, it was a surreal experience to see everyone just casually eating and drinking like there isn't a god damned pandemic still happening. I definitely live in an area with full on cognitive dissonance about reality. I heard the cry of what had to have been a baby no older than a month old. I truly do not get what people are thinking. Driving home with the food I realized that pretty much every chain restaurant was at capacity just by looking at their parking lots..
Yep, and in TX Greg Abbott just opened businesses to 75% capacity all the while we are seeing a rise in cases.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, and in TX Greg Abbott just opened businesses to 75% capacity all the while we are seeing a rise in cases.
I'm in Indiana and I lost track of what 'level' we're at just because my family is staying put. But I'm pretty sure it's something around 75%. Never in this entire experience have I thought "man, I could really go for some Texas Roadhouse right now!". I can't find the source of the tweet anymore, but I saw a tweet the other day that said something to the effect like.. "All of these people just dying to re-open so they can go out to eat again.. try being poor for once and never being able to go out to eat in the first place."