• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York

The United States is closing in on the somber milestone of 200,000 deaths from Covid-19 as more than half of states are reporting a rise in cases.
The climb comes after many states had seen case numbers decline following a summer resurgence of infections.

Among the states reporting more new cases in the last seven days are Wisconsin, Idaho, South Dakota, Iowa and Kansas, all of which are also reporting test positivity rates above 15%.
The test positivity rate is the percentage of all tests given that come back positive for coronavirus.

More here

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Thats probably cause of Labor Day right? I figure because of that, cases would rise just like July 4.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
The Who's who of colleges that thought kids wouldn't party and would keep their distance while in a dorm and on campus
This too, combine with the huge potential for COVID cases across the many schools in the US that are open or about to open up (such as NY Public Schools), this is probably only the beginning of a Fall/Winter Resurgence

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
The Who's who of colleges that thought kids wouldn't party and would keep their distance while in a dorm and on campus

Ahh yeah that too. I remember seeing that kid who's "quarantined " cause he was positive in his own home but having a fucking party full of his friends.

We're just soo fucked.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
It is also even more dangerous for hospital capacity now with other seasonal flu's about to start up (or already have started up).

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
A combination of schools reopening, college dorm breakouts, Labor Day crowds (even up in the mountains where I was in an isolated cabin, the main street area was filled with people), and some football teams deciding to let a large number of fans in likely contributed to the rise in numbers. Even here in Colorado where we've been under 300 new cases a day for the last month or two suddenly spiked this week.

Oct 28, 2017
Because they made millions of kids all pile into Covid incubators.

I'm as big of a dumbass as you'll find walking the planet and even I can tell you why Covid numbers are going up.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Schools and colleges opening, plus Labor Day. Also, there is a back and forth too with people taking it seriously. When cases spike like the summer, they eventually take it seriously and change their habits. When it's out of the news as it has been lately for the most part, they start to relax social distancing and other measures. This is going to keep happening with spikes and drops until we get a vaccine. But even then, you have a growing anti-vaccine mentality, so we'll see how that goes.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My family has suddenly gotten kind of careless about coronavirus. I think it's because my sister's kids started going back to school, so my mom feels like everything is fine again. Either that, or maybe it's just general fatigue from how long it's been.

For example, I skipped going home during summer because of coronavirus and nobody had any issues with that. But now I'm holding off on committing to going home for christmas until I know what the situation is like, and suddenly it's a big freaking deal. I'm probably not going home regardless of how upset people get, because I don't want the guilt of giving anybody coronavirus. But holy fuck is it annoying how I'm being guilt tripped for it.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the daily number of cases in my state has almost tripled what it was a few weeks ago. Who would have known that taking people from all over the city, state, county, etc, and put them together in a building would help the virus spread. Certainly not the people who wanted this fucking bullshit to happen.

Now the talking point from the local Trump cult has moved from kids can't get it to "when Trump wins reelection all this covid stuff will be over and we won't have to wear masks anymore." I have no faith in humanity these days.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like the Department of Education should have made a strong recommendation against in-person instruction at all levels of education

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't you heard? Trump did a good job and the pandemic was averted.

Pay no attention to the huge pile of dead bodies.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
Yep. I blame it on Labor day. One particular NJ beach was so damn crowded people were barely a foot from each other. That mixed in with people not giving a crap about the pandemic and others being hard headed that it is the end of Summer and they deserve to go to a nice place.

bigosc

Oct 27, 2017
Just cancel all holidays, Halloween is coming up so just cancel that, or as Michael Jordan would say fuck them kids

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
For example, I skipped going home during summer because of coronavirus and nobody had any issues with that. But now I'm holding off on committing to going home for christmas until I know what the situation is like, and suddenly it's a big freaking deal. I'm probably not going home regardless of how upset people get, because I don't want the guilt of giving anybody coronavirus. But holy fuck is it annoying how I'm being guilt tripped for it.

I haven't told my family yet about TG/Xmas but I am expecting the same. My dad keeps randomly telling me I need to come into town sometime and hang out but I always dodge. They're Trumpers in a small TX town and think the virus is overblown etc etc even though my dad's boss got it a few months ago.

I'm considering just making something up and saying someone in my circles got it and I have to quarantine etc. and that it's not safe here in my city, etc.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Thats probably cause of Labor Day right? I figure because of that, cases would rise just like July 4.
labor day, school is open, texas is allowing 75% capacity at restaurants for instance. I know multiple people that are going out to eat like its nothing. I can't tell you how many people i've lost respect for these last six months between the pandemic and racial justice portests.
Still the first wave
also this.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously blows my mind that the "rush for normal" that companies and for profit institutions demanded so they could get money coming into their bank accounts again was so poorly thought out, once again short term profits over long term sustainability.....and yet these are the same people that people want to "run countries like a business" that was always the stupidest shit I ever heard because now you're seeing why, if you want a country run like a business then you better expect the leaders to throw your health and safety under the bus if it means they can profit better.....

This whole situation is stupid as hell.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is a lot of blame to go around, but I want to also point out that the US media just got tired of it, and if you open a US paper today you'd barely know there is a pandemic -

A ton of ads on TV also scream at people "go out and have fun" right now.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There is a lot of blame to go around, but I want to also point out that the US media just got tired of it, and if you open a US paper today you'd barely know there is a pandemic -

A ton of ads on TV also scream at people "go out and have fun" right now.

I wouldn't take that as particularly representative when not all counts have hit 200k yet, the memorial front page seems like an obvious pick for next week's Sunday edition once NYT's number hits that mark. Problem is there are a million things on fire right now and it's impossible to give all of them the space they deserve

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Not mine at least. Washington has been doing very well even since we were the epicenter of the US outbreak

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't told my family yet about TG/Xmas but I am expecting the same. My dad keeps randomly telling me I need to come into town sometime and hang out but I always dodge. They're Trumpers in a small TX town and think the virus is overblown etc etc even though my dad's boss got it a few months ago.

I'm considering just making something up and saying someone in my circles got it and I have to quarantine etc. and that it's not safe here in my city, etc.

That's not a bad plan, actually. Making up a story that you came in close contact with it.

I'll put that one in my back pocket as like a nuclear option in case my family keeps giving me shit.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
COVID-19 cases are rising everywhere in the western world. Our individualistic societies could only handle so much of lockdown. It's worse in US because well everything is worse in the US, but everywhere else is having same trends. Young people both don't fear it and are selfish. Only unique thing though is the weird political nature of it in the US.