• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
(CNN)Joe Biden's road to a third presidential bid has been lined with a series of explanationsand apologies, illustrating the challenges of preparing a long record of public service for fresh scrutiny under the spotlight of the 2020 campaign.

Yet he rarely discusses one of the earliest -- and most controversial -- issues he championed in the Senate: his fight against busing to desegregate schools.

It was more than four decades ago as a battle raged across the country -- and in Congress -- over sending white students to majority-black schools and black students to majority-white schools often far away from their own neighborhoods. Biden forcefully opposed the government's role in trying to integrate schools, saying he favored desegregation, but believed busing did not achieve equal opportunity.

In a series of never-before-published letters from Biden, which were reviewed by CNN, the strength of his opposition to busing comes into sharper focus, particularly how he followed the lead of -- and sought support from -- some of the Senate's most fervent segregationists.

"My bill strikes at the heart of the injustice of court-ordered busing. It prohibits the federal courts from disrupting our educational system in the name of the constitution where there is no evidence that the governmental officials intended to discriminate," Biden wrote to fellow senators on March 25, 1977. "I believe there is a growing sentiment in the Congress to curb unnecessary busing."

Biden, who at the time was 34 and serving his first term in the Senate, repeatedly asked for -- and received -- the support of Sen. James Eastland, a Mississippi Democrat and chairman of the Judiciary Committee and a leading symbol of Southern resistance to desegregation. Eastland frequently spoke of blacks as "an inferior race."
"Dear Mr. Chairman," Biden wrote on June 30, 1977. "I want you to know that I very much appreciate your help during this week's committee meeting in attempting to bring my anti-busing legislation to a vote."
https://www.cnn.com/2013/01/22/us/joe-biden-fast-facts/index.html
Two weeks later, Biden followed up with a note to Eastland "to thank you again for your efforts in support of my bill to limit court ordered busing."
Biden, who would go on to lead the Judiciary Committee a decade later, got his start on the panel under Eastland. Few senators were more virulently outspoken against desegregation than the Mississippi senator, who was known for incendiary floor speeches on race.

Yet Biden invited Eastland to speak on the Senate floor in support of his anti-busing bill.
"I want to personally ask your continued support and alert you to our intentions," Biden wrote on Aug. 22, 1978. "Your participation in floor debate would be welcomed."

The letters, which are filed away in Eastland's archives at the University of Mississippi, offer a window into the robust nature of Biden's support of anti-busing bills.
While most of Biden's legislative efforts failed, he was not a passive observer like many fellow Democrats of the era, who sought to balance the anger of white constituents surrounding school busing without blocking the next step in the expansion of civil rights.

When an anti-integration amendment from North Carolina Sen. Jesse Helms failed, Biden proposed an anti-busing amendment of his own that rankled Sen. Ed Brooke, a Massachusetts Republican and the first black senator to be elected since Reconstruction.

"I have become convinced that busing is a bankrupt concept," Biden said during debate.
While Biden has built a strong civil rights record over the last four decades and spent eight years as vice president to the nation's first black president, his stand against busing as a method to desegregate schools -- which he still stands by today -- is among the chapters of a legislative record facing a second look by today's progressive Democratic Party.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/11/politics/joe-biden-busing-letters-2020/index.html

"Its racist for someone to think the only way a black child can get smart is to sit them next to my white child" - Biden

Dec 6, 2018
The ego on Biden to think he can do all the shit he did and deserve to run for president is crazy.

Just as crazy as the people that will still insist on voting for him after this.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where he ends up in the grand scheme of the 2020 primaries will tell us what the state of the Democratic Party really is. I don't know how anyone can support him at this point, but if he's nominated, surely everybody will show up to kick Trump out...right?

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
He still supports segregated bussing btw. And his role in the crime bill, and a non apology to anita hil, and a mocking of people concerned about his advances toward women. I hope the non print media starts doing their job on educating people on Biden's real record.

Didn't seem to bother Obama much.

That says much more about Obama than it does Biden

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
The ego on Biden to think he can do all the shit he did and deserve to run for president is crazy.

Just as crazy as the people that will still insist on voting for him after this.
Look at Trump. I don't think he should run, but none of this shit will stop certain people from voting for him. He could shot someone on live TV and they'll look the other way.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Joe "I am not sorry for anything I have ever done" Biden

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I hope he doesn't run. But, do people really think this is gonna stop us black folk from voting for him if he ends up running and winning the nomination?

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
So, um, how did he become Obama's VP?

I haven't read the article yet, but this seems pretty big.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That says much more about Obama than it does Biden

it says more about the american electorate tbh, that biden was the kind of strategical pick that obama needed to win some votes

I mean, I hope he doesn't run. But, do people really think this is gonna stop us black folk from voting for him if he ends up running and winning the nomination?

cart before the horse, it's out job to make sure someone more representative of the democratic base wins instead of biden. of course no one should stay home if it's him vs. trump, it'd just really suck because biden is awful. but we're not there yet which is why information like this is important. we have the ability to vote for the best candidate during the primary.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think it's likely he has probably changed in many of views to the point where I dont think that bringing 40+ year old fights is relevant to who is as a person now. The problem is that when you have been in politics as long as he has the fact that you are even old enough to have this kind of shit lying around makes me less likely to support you when there are younger progressives running

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
So, um, how did he become Obama's VP?

I haven't read the article yet, but this seems pretty big.
It is in the past and people can change and nominating an old white dude as VP was an effort to court "diet" racists partially I'm sure.

The issue is Biden is fucking terrible at apologizing (read: he doesn't do it) so yeah.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also there are far more issues to be against Biden on currently that dont need old material. It will be interesting to see if the other candidates come out swinging on this. It seems doubtful as many of them have some pretty bad past votes and decisions they wouldnt want held up either

Edit: Wait hes actually recently commented on this? Wtf.m

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As someone who grew up and spent most of their life in or near Delaware, this doesn't surprise me. Everywhere south of Dover is backwoods racist country.

Aug 1, 2018
In today's America? This gets him more votes.

"Moderates" and "Centrists" after hearing about this:

AnnualDistinctCormorant-max-1mb.gif

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
it says more about the american electorate tbh, that biden was the kind of strategical pick that obama needed to win some votes

if that's what obama believed could earn him votes for the old white racist demographic that definitely deserves some scorn.

Look at Trump. I don't think he should run, but none of this shit will stop certain people from voting for him. He could shot someone on live TV and they'll look the other way.

If its against Trump, i'd hope everyone comes out and votes for the democratic nominee, but this just proves that it should not be biden. Cause yeah, this type of thing would definitely depress turn out.

Unless people are just drones who dont care about policy or records or anything? What was all that about being tone deaf on race?

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
There are some really great candidates for the Democratic nomination.. so there's really no need for Biden to get into the race.. We can do A LOT better than this.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
if that's what obama believed could earn him votes for the old white racist demographic that definitely deserves some scorn.

There's a lot of questionable stuff in Obama's legacy but him using Biden to get elected doesn't bother me.

It's a bit ageist but it does concern me that two of the biggest Democratic front runners would be 85 & 86 when they finished out their 8 years in office.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ it was 40 fucking years ago! In the left's only goal to eat itself alive?

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'm probably gonna want a source from you on that one chief

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2019/02/joe-biden-segregation.html

^ There you go.

I'm actually suprised how easy it is to find comments on this from Biden, i would have thought he'd want to stay quiet on it, not shove his foot in his mouth every time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...210e58a94cf_story.html?utm_term=.615e6e58f88c

"I do not buy the concept, popular in the '60s, which said, 'We have suppressed the black man for 300 years and the white man is now far ahead in the race for everything our society offers. In order to even the score, we must now give the black man a head start, or even hold the white man back, to even the race,' " Biden told a Delaware-based weekly newspaper in 1975. "I don't buy that."

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Jesus Christ it was 40 fucking years ago! In the left's only goal to eat itself alive?

THe problem is, the progressive left want a president who is actually a leftist and actually has had some measure of record in standing for leftism. And bringing up people's records is apart of examining who is best to represent that base.

Biden is not that person because his conservative record is a mile long. I don't think its much of a purity test to want someone not reprehensible or blatantly against the left in numerous issues now and in the past to be scrutinized for the job of the highest office in the world?

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
THe problem is, the progressive left want a president who is actually a leftist and actually has had some measure of record in standing for leftism. And bringing up people's records is apart of examining who is best to represent that base.

Biden is not that person because his conservative record is a mile long. I don't think its much of a purity test to want someone not reprehensible or blatantly against the left in numerous issues now and in the past to be scrutinized for the job of the highest office in the world?

Scrutinized for things they did 40 years ago? I got no problem analyzing past behavior but there should be a limit.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I really can't see Biden running at this point. The op sec is really poor on team Biden. They should've devised a plan to have a full apology tour. This still wouldn't have turned me around but for a polling front runner I don't get their ineptitude.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Hes emboldened to run because his own party including pelosi doesn't view any of this as being "un-electable". Its disgusting. Especially during a race that so far looks to have a decent amount of candidates who are truly progressive. Dude needs to go away

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah god forbid we draw a line in the sand over a history of conservative stances and outright discrimination, let alone the contemporary creepy groping incidents. Its a primary, if here isn't the place to weed out the non progressive candidates for the dem ticket than where is it ok? Blows my mind that digging stuff like this up to get garbage like biden out of the way in order to make room for real progressives is somehow the left eating itself alive.

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Scrutinized for things they did 40 years ago? I got no problem analyzing past behavior but there should be a limit.

I mean, his record as pro segregationist is as damning as his record in the failed war on drugs(which also, might i add hurt black folks the worst since it was originally designed to suppress us), helping the bush admin with the authoritarian power grab through writing and selling the patriot act, his votes on the iraq war, ect, plenty of other things.

Its just a long line of things with Biden and it indicates a trend with him. That's why his historical account in particular matters, because most of his major issues have been related to propping up the white institution.

Personally, i think that policy oriented criticism is important for holding people who are supposed to represent us to account. You can say it was a long time ago, but even then there has to atleast be some sort of explanation or a basic apology, a recognition of wrong doing, and in Biden's case, he never apologizes for anything. He doubles down and makes excuses.

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
ehhhhh that reads like a reach on your part to me man

I got no problem dunking on him for what he said then, but you said he currently supports it right now as in if I ask him about it he'll be like 'nah fam keep the white and black people on separate buses'

Well, then its a good thing this story is getting some traction, so now he can hopefully own up to it if he's called out?

Well, knowing Biden, perhaps he will simply say that its unfair of people to criticize him for that like he did anita hill in 2018 when she said she blamed Biden for standing up for Clarence Thomas and humiliating her.

Or perhaps when he said that the war on drugs 'did a lot of good' and that he's not sorry for it. Biden has a habit of defending his horrible history.

Status
Not open for further replies.