• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm struggling to make sense of it with all the black lines but it mentions previous substantial campaign contributions, is that him or someone else?

The political strategy to obtain a presidential pardon was 'parallel' to and distinct from [redacted]'s role as an attorney-advocate for [redacted name],

Could involve Powell, Ellis, or Rudy IMO. Most likely Powell.

They seized 50+ devices

This is the actual Kraken, it appears.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Not quite. After all, this isn't an investigation into Trump dangling pardons. It's an investigation into someone else trying to bribe Trump for a pardon. The president can do as many corrupt pardons as he wants, in any form that he wants. Under current jurisprudence, Trump could issue a blanket pardon for all federal crimes, in perpetuity, to any person who has ever stayed at a Trump hotel. Literally the only remedy is impeachment.

Not exactly true. If Trump engaged in a quid pro quo scheme that involved him using his pardon power, he could be tried for bribery, even though his original pardon would still hold up and couldn't be challenged.

What if Trump wrote everyone involved a blanket pardon right now? Would it hold?

Probably, other than if he tried to pardon himself. There is not currently a channel through which a presidential pardon can be challenged. The mechanism just doesn't exist. And technically there's nothing legally standing in the way of a self pardon either; it's just that I don't think people would let him get away with it.

(Note that I'm just a rando who is repeating things he's heard here and there. I am not an expert on any of this)

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I expect this is true of all of his pardons that weren't obvious political stunts. Someone take a closer look at Dinesh D'Souza and Scooter Libby.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of stupidity in that WH. Hope they do jail the fucks and have peoples' pardon revoked.

Matt_

Oct 25, 2017
I would of thought you'd need to be charged with a crime before you can be pardoned for it?
Surely you can't just issue a pardon that frees you from prosecution from any and all crimes?

Deleted member 4874

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I vaguely remember Giuliani at least being somewhat respectable in the 90s. Did that whole "America's Mayor" nonsense go to his head?

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
tiger.jpg

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
does a pardon become a get out of jail free card if you haven't been charged with a crime yet

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
They could find a mountain of evidence now, impeach him again in the House tomorrow, and McConnell and Senate republicans wouldn't do squat.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question but...trying to bribe and then getting a pardon is a crime right?

Like the pardon wouldn't cover the bribing would it?

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
Trump can accept the bribe, since he can only be impeached. Since the bribe is already done, Trump can pardon the briber too. Win-win

Just saw Andrew Weisman (of Mueller team fame) on MSNBC, saying it would be pay for play scheme and is an exception. I don't know, I'm no lawyer and this is all new territory

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Someone close to the administration about to see a Trump bus heading straight for them

Mar 21, 2018
It was someone who already was charged with a crime, so it ain't Rudy I'm afraid:

The heavy redactions in the "bribery-for-pardon scheme" court filing make it impossible to discern the individuals involved, but there are a few hints.

First, one of the individuals involved is an attorney, though the government is arguing that there is no attorney-client privilege because there was no attorney-client relationship.

Second, the proposed recipient of the pardon appears to be someone who has already been convicted and incarcerated, based on a reference to "the months leading up to [redacted's] surrender to BOP [Bureau of Prisons] custody".

The New York Times reported that Rudy Giuliani has discussed a "pre-emptive pardon" with Donald Trump, but the president's personal lawyer has not been charged or convicted of any crimes.

Source (you'll need to scroll down a bit)

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
Manafort, it's gotta be Manafort right? I mean the guy was already caught wheeling and dealing from his cell ffs, yeah?

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
And this is only what we know about. I can't imagine all the shit they're trying.