• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
CNN published a story of work experts and union leaders who say that it's time for grocery stores across the US to switch over to delivery & curbside pickup service only, as current measures to protect grocery workers have proven inadequate.

Dozens of grocery store workers have died from the coronavirus, despite masks, temperature checks and capacity restrictions to keep them safe. So far, supermarkets have resisted the most draconian policy: banning customers from coming inside. However, some worker experts, union leaders and small grocery owners believe it has become too dangerous to let customers browse aisles, coming into close range with workers. Grocery stores are still flooded with customers, and experts say it's time for large chains to go "dark" to the public and convert to curbside pickup and home delivery for food and other essential goods.

"Careless customers" are "probably the biggest threat" to workers right now, according to Marc Perrone, president of the United Food and Commercial Workers' union. The union said 85% of its grocery store member workers reported that customers are not practicing social distancing in stores.

Some big grocers are slowly starting to move in this direction. Whole Foods has closed down a store in New York City's Bryant Park area and transitioned it into an online-only store, focused solely on deliveries. Kroger (KR) and Giant Eagle have switched a few stores to pickup and delivery-only locations. But these are a fraction of stores in their wide networks. And most large chains have hesitated to shut down to the public. Instead, they are implementing more limited policies like taking workers' temperatures and restricting the number customers inside stores at a time.

Some companies and safety experts say it's not feasible to convert all grocery stores to delivery and pickup-only outposts. Ordering systems for both pickup and delivery are completely overwhelmed by a crush of demand from customers in many areas of the country. "We have no choice. They have to stay open. [America's grocery] delivery system has not matured to the point where we can switch to an entirely remote system," said Seth Harris, former deputy secretary of labor during the Obama administration.

www.cnn.com

Experts say it may be time for grocery stores to ban customers from coming inside because of Covid-19

Dozens of grocery store workers have died from the coronavirus, despite masks, temperature checks and capacity restrictions to keep them safe. So far, supermarkets have resisted the most draconian policy: banning customers from coming inside.

My local supermarket has been doing the best it can to limit possible exposure, but on my trips there to restock I've seen people obvious to social distancing instructions in the store. Unfortunately I feel like this should've been done from the outset, with people beginning to get antsy one month into lockdowns, I don't think politicians and government officials have the desire to start a fight with grocery chains at this point.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes please. Maybe then I'll be able to actually buy something from a grocery store and have it delivered or prepared for pickup. It's virtually impossible where I am now.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind that, easier for me but in the end would hurt the employees by having to do a lot more work,

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
I've been doing Walmart pick up for weeks and love. I stay in the car though I do feel like a douche for not getting out of the car and help the employee. They actually encourage you to stay in the car.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Yes please. Maybe then I'll be able to actually buy something from a grocery store and have it delivered or prepared for pickup. It's virtually impossible where I am now.

If anything this would make it harder. Now you are fighting with thousands of people for delivery/pick up rather than hundreds.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
There's people who refuse to wear masks even when offered them. They always find a way to screw it up so perhaps this has to happen afterall.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
100% but they need a solution for poor people without internet or those that have to work to get priority access to food.

Banning customers cannot be allowed to advantage the better off with easier food access.

It would require more workers in stores but that should be safer than a mass gathering of strangers

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Is there infrastructure in place to support everyone with this? I'd happily order in or do curbside pickup, but none of the options we have in the UK have been available (when I looked) for weeks due to demand.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how that's remotely feasible in the short term. The logistics seem incredibly difficult.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
100% but they need a solution for poor people without internet or those that have to work to get priority access to food.

Banning customers cannot be allowed to advantage the better off with easier food access.

A kiosk outside by curbside would probably suffice. A public place where you can place an order, then wait for it to be fulfilled. They can even give you an appointment time.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
If it keeps the workers inside safer, sure, I'm cool with that. Honestly, going to the grocery store now is such a production, I wouldn't mind being able to just pick something up.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Start be enforcing masks and 6 feet rules. I wear my mask every time I go into a grocery store, but I'd estimate more than 75 percent of the other people aren't.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I've tried to use it for Target but pretty much everything is listed as "Not available for curbside pick up" or "Low quantity, check store for actual availability."

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
None of the grocery stores in my neighborhood offer delivery or have a website and I'm sure I'm not the only place like that. This feels like it really lacks perspective on what reality is for some of us.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why people take their friends and family to the grocery store right now. Just send one person. Stores can at least make that a rule.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love these urban centric articles. It doesn't work like that for good chunks of the country.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It would require more workers in stores but that should be safer than a mass gathering of strangers
Yup, this would be a significant challenge for a lot of people. They'd need to have some sort of phone option as well.

It seems like there's more they could do to limit exposure for staff and customers such as mandating self-check out lanes (unless someone cannot use one), limiting customers in the store at one time, only stocking shelves while customers are not in the store, etc...

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how that's remotely feasible in the short term. The logistics seem incredibly difficult.
Because it already is. The four Kroger near me are like a week behind on curb side pick up. Oh you want groceries sorry have to wait a week and have to wait till 8:30 at night to get them.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
what about the markets that don't have the infrastructure in place to do something like curbside pick up?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because it already is. The four Kroger near me are like a week behind on curb side pick up. Oh you want groceries sorry have to wait a week and have to wait till 8:30 at night to get them.
At least you can place an order. I've been trying for weeks and literally nothing in my area has a free delivery or pickup slot, not even weeks in advance.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I thought the title was something more insidious. Reading the article, it makes a lot of sense.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had to go to Kroger yesterday to pick up some antibiotics at the pharmacy for this bastard case of strep throat i have and the store was crammed with people, nobody respecting the 6 foot distance, only a few people with masks and gloves.

but, i also think i saw maybe ONE employee with a mask, none of them were wearing protective gear or respecting the distancing, either.

notable: a banner outside labeling their employees "heroes" and a lot of "now hiring" signs

outside indianapolis

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Starting Monday my store will be requesting customers to wear a mask if they want entry, and are finally limiting how many enter the store. Definitely happy about that but holy fuck it's coming way too late.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah and what percentage of their sales are those even taking up? I would guess less than half.

If you went all pickup and delivery cashiers could be redirected to order fulfillment, and there would be no need for shelf stocking, but it still feels like the labor requirements would go way way up. You're basically replacing free labor from your customers with paid labor.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Ordering online is a crapshoot. My 70 year old parents tried it...the first time their order was cancelled at the last moment, and the second time they got 1/3 of their order because everything else was out of stock. Ordering online is basically the equivalent of a wish list.

Oct 25, 2017
This means more staffing which means you still need a lot of people inside the store. Grocery delivery services and warehouses face the same issues, it just has much higher overhead and it therefore less accessible consumers.

I don't understand why people take their friends and family to the grocery store right now. Just send one person. Stores can at least make that a rule.

I think some stores have but this is the biggest problem I see right now IMO. I know it's an activity but I see so many couples and especially whole families. Children especially should not be going shopping because they don't follow hygiene protocol. I can't tell you how many I see without masks, who touch things, their faces, run around, cough and sneeze in the open and just generally make everything harder. That and enforcing mask policy at the door, the ratio is getting better but there's still like 30% who aren't following it.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
this is not viable for everyone. people like my parents dont use any apps for shopping

You dont need to use apps - just need to go on the website with your account.

And if you cant do that - a local store (not a big chain store) actually allows people to call in, make a order and do curbside pickup.

@OT - wont happen at least not in the US - although imo it would help the situation if they did , the grocery stores around my area had some workers tested positive so ya....

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
The only way this would happen is if many, MANY more people die.

And with Trump pushing hard for everything to reopen so his numbers go back up, it might not even happen then.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't know. Walmart's online selection for my store is woeful in comparison to the actual stock. They need to update their online inventory first.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
So large corporate stores will be fine and ready, and smaller chains and family owned stores are fucked? Main option would be to adopt an existing third party service to send a good chunk of profits to some SV office.

Not at all against the decision, but once again leaving the little guys and employees out in the shit. Hope they can adapt quickly enough, and/or getting your fair share from federal assistance money. If there's ever more. And if it's not again taken by the big fish.

Yay market economics.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm fine with this but if not can we at least start with not allowing people in stores without a mask? I never see anyone get kicked out.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah and what percentage of their sales are those even taking up? I would guess less than half.

If you went all pickup and delivery cashiers could be redirected to order fulfillment, and there would be no need for shelf stocking, but it still feels like the labor requirements would go way way up. You're basically replacing free labor from your customers with paid labor.

I'm not sure how exhausting employees, lowering the strength of their immune system, is actually going to make people safer. This also feels like it's going to make the process slower overall, so you'll have lines of people gathering for longer on streets and public spaces where those passing by will inevitably be forced to be closer than six feet away, especially in places like NYC. The lines outside of stores in most areas already put the people moving down that sidewalk right next to many, many people because no sidewalk is wide enough to avoid it.

I definitely think the restrictions on how many enter at a time or whether or not you can enter without a mask make perfect sense, but I just don't see how this is remotely feasible. It feels like it's only a reality for very limited places where the people are, on average, higher income.