• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's not what you said at all though. No one is saying the employee has an obligation to prevent theft, just that you shouldn't steal from places of business.
Well, I certainly wouldn't encourage someone to do it, nor would I do it myself, but I'm saying that I don't really see it as morally wrong. Obviously considering the legal implications I would advise against it.

ebs

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I certainly wouldn't encourage someone to do it, nor would I do it myself, but I'm saying that I don't really see it as morally wrong. Obviously considering the legal implications I would advise against it.

Lmao of course it's morally wrong. It's even obviously morally wrong when looking at it from the exact same perspective you stated!

"A company steals the surplus value of its employees labour all the time", so if some stranger steals from that company then that stranger is stealing the surplus value of the employees labour. The only way it would be justified from your perspective is if the employees themselves were stealing from the company.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lmao of course it's morally wrong. It's even obviously morally wrong when looking at it from the exact same perspective you stated!

"A company steals the surplus value of its employees labour all the time", so if some stranger steals from that company then that stranger is stealing the surplus value of the employees labour. The only way it would be justified from your perspective is if the employees themselves were stealing from the company.
Yes, you are right.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think a bigger takeaway should be the fact that people are so desperate for food that they're willing to risk committing a crime to do so, and that the employee was so afraid of being reprimanded that she took the initiative to refuse service to them, yet it's being portrayed that either the black people or the employee were in the wrong instead of questioning why it even has to come to this in the first place.
Some people just wanna steal shit dude

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think a bigger takeaway should be the fact that people are so desperate for food that they're willing to risk committing a crime to do so, and that the employee was so afraid of being reprimanded that she took the initiative to refuse service to them, yet it's being portrayed that either the black people or the employee were in the wrong instead of questioning why it even has to come to this in the first place.

Weren't they on Twitter bragging about it?

Poor, desperate people.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mob mentality sucks. People don't want to wait for more info and immediately run to get the pitchforks. Any claim of wanting to wait for more info is met with hostility. This site is guilty as fuck of it as well, as the original thread for this story showed.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Very sad story. I remember catching a lot of shit in that thread(and banned) for pointing out the obvious issues in the original story. It was clear from the get go there was more to the story but no one was interested in hearing it. Boy did they look foolish.
Same thing with alleged pedophiles. Saying people should wait for actual facts before labeling someone a pedophile and ruining their life is an automatic ban here.

Which is why I stopped participating in those kinds of threads, there's literally zero discussion to be had.

May 9, 2019
Companies need to stay off social media. Chipotle could've handled this better by not firing her 5 minutes within the video getting posted.

I don't exactly remember my first thoughts but I definitely questioned the entire situation before judging. Too much videos start at the middle of the problem with no context and people need to realize this.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Doubt any more than 1% (or hell, no one) on Era was apart of the direct threats she received, but I guess it is possible the spreading of the story could have worsen the outcome for her immediately. But eventually the spreading also "vindicated" her, so it is a double-edged sword.

How was the backlash towards the people who did the "prank"?

It's such a very tough situation. You see a story that seems like it is exactly how it seem, and our instincts are to be repulsed by the person because the scene happens all too often. But maybe we as a society should stop the social-trials? It used to happen only in the community, but now anything can be global.

Ultimately everything has an opposite and equal reaction. I feel the amount of crap that non-white people have had to put up with has led to a feeling of empowerment that they used to not have, so the amount of hate they have seen in the past is now being repaid with this ability.

I feel like the article is just trying to caution people before "jumping aboard the mob train", but again I go back to my original thought about how no one here probably was sending threats to her. It's all just about the way/ease information can be spread now. The CNN article does an okay job showing a problem, but doesn't really go too far into it, to be honest.

Edit: And then you have the people who have "glee" that someone was vindicated, and immediately frame the whole story (and others like it) just false.... which is just another example of confirmation bias.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Companies need to stay off social media. Chipotle could've handled this better by not firing her 5 minutes within the video getting posted.

I don't exactly remember my first thoughts but I definitely questioned the entire situation before judging. Too much videos start at the middle of the problem with no context and people need to realize this.
That's the problem though, a companies reputation is worth a lot more to them than a single employee. It actually doesn't matter what the truth is, just how it is perceived. Chipotle would have been raked over the coals if they had refused to fire a 'racist' employee.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
When contrarians to facts and science adopted it as an excuse.

And here's the rub. Skepticism is healthy. But the people most in need of it can use it least well - confirmation bias guides where they apply their skepticism and how rather than them using it as a tool to battle their own confirmation bias.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Unless it's a case where it's blatantly obvious, people should react by asking for an investigation on the matter. You can't always make a judgement on a small clip of video.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Social media has resulted in attention spans dropping to almost nothing and we can see the negative results of that change around us every day. People need to slow down, look at the full perspective of what they're seeing, and think more often before they post. Our impatientence is turning us all into toxic assholes and we can do better.

The article also brushes by a good comparison; in all these "... while black" situations that have been popping up lately, the racist people who call the cops are effectively doing the same thing that the vigilante internet mob does, rushing to judgement, assuming the worst in others, and refusing to investigate a situation. I would have liked to see them connect those dots a little more, to demonstrate how these same behaviors can manifest themselves through very different groups of people. Calling the cops is obviously a more extreme action than commenting "f u Chipotle" or calling for someone to be fired, but they share a lot in common and show how much collateral damage can be avoided by a more informed and less reflexive perspective.

Oct 29, 2017
Hope the woman can get a new career going. No one deserves to work at Chipotle, not even death row inmates.

The previous thread was a good microcosm of Era and how its "prominent" minds operate, some of whom have seen fit to continue pinching off their views into this thread.

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't an example of confirmation bias. The cell phone video that was shared online appeared to show the manager as being discriminatory to customers, vs what really happened after additional information was shared. Believing the information as presented in the video with no additional information is not an example of bias towards the information vs responding to the information as given. An example of confirmation bias would be people still saying the manager was discriminatory with the video and additional information that has been shared to this date, with these individuals coming to their own bias conclusion despite additional and more credible information being shared/the biased individuals choosing to ignore the additional and more credible information that goes against their bias.

While there is a good example here of social media users needing to have some skepticism towards unverified shared information, the actual issue in this story is Chipotle responded directly to the shared social media video and failed to do any form of internal investigation first to verify what actually happened, resulting in their company having to apologize after the fact. In addition to news media sites that also shared the video as is without any form of genuine news reporting and investigation to verify the video, only doing real reporting and investigation after others on social media discovered more information.
To ignore the confirmation bias part and focus solely on the statement in the bolded, that isn't true. The very first video which was posted made it clear that the employee knew the people who came into the store and had a previous interaction with them. Literally the thirty-first post of the previous thread highlighted this. The information which subsequently came out was relayed in the first video, so it isn't really correct to frame it as if the context which came out after additional information was provided was totally absent when the video went viral; it was there from the beginning and people ignored or dismissed it.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the murderer isn't in prison because of America's collective """skepticism""" towards racism.

This is just factually wrong and stupid.
The murderer isnt in prison because not only is the Justice system flawed, but its extra flawed in regards to Cops. It has nothing to do with skepticism in America.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I hadn't seen the original thread, so had a look. What struck me the most was that despite being wrong in their assumptions, many of the posters who immediately labelled her a racist didn't really admit they were wrong and instead started making excuses.
Just say you were wrong and move on. Maybe learn a bit from it too. Though I can see why it's easy to jump to conclusions, given the amount of crap that actually is happening.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Defaulting latinos as "Mexican white people" is a very concerning trend in liberal spaces and some of it has permeated this board, in part because the admins are unfittied to deal with it.

I just skipped that thread because of it.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Defaulting latinos as "Mexican white people" is a very concerning trend in liberal spaces and some of it has permeated this board, in part because the admins are unfittied to deal with it.

I just skipped that thread because of it.

I don't think that anybody is defaulting latinos as "Mexican white people" at all.

But racism isn't nearly as clear-cut as black people versus white people. Colorism is a thing. "Proximity to' whiteness'" is a thing. So yeah, it's not dismissing latinos as "just white people," that dynamic has absolutely nothing to do with the racism that could have potentially been at play here. It was a sketchy road for the article to go down.

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I hadn't seen the original thread, so had a look. What struck me the most was that despite being wrong in their assumptions, many of the posters who immediately labelled her a racist didn't really admit they were wrong and instead started making excuses.
Just say you were wrong and move on. Maybe learn a bit from it too. Though I can see why it's easy to jump to conclusions, given the amount of crap that actually is happening.
I wasn't here for it, but I found that really hard with the MAGA kid in DC staring down that native american earlier this year. That picture with the smug smile just got to me, and it was hard to say... (its still hard to say!) that he was doing nothing. Or just say "woah, looks like it was a misunderstanding" and move on. Like I still think maybe there was more to that that I just didn't ever see in the end or something. I didn't even share or comment or repost that stuff much. Its not a "I'm embarrassed thing". Its my brain just refusing to let go of what it wants to believe is true.

Our brains are weird and frustrating sometimes.

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that people should generally have some skepticism.

For instance, I'm pretty skeptical of media outlets that are super excited to point out all those times racism doesn't happen yet slow on the draw when reporting on actual racism

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
This happens in every one of those fucking threads. And you see the same people doing the exact same shit next time around; and when you point out, "Hey, you don't critically think, because you've done this twice before, look at the so-and-so thread" you're the jackass in those threads.

It's outright laughable.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
To ignore the confirmation bias part and focus solely on the statement in the bolded, that isn't true. The very first video which was posted made it clear that the employee knew the people who came into the store and had a previous interaction with them. Literally the thirty-first post of the previous thread highlighted this. The information which subsequently came out was relayed in the first video, so it isn't really correct to frame it as if the context which came out after additional information was provided was totally absent when the video went viral; it was there from the beginning and people ignored or dismissed it.

In the second tweet and video in the thread you're referring to, the twitter user shows video of a second employee claiming the men have been in the restaurant before, then in the same video shows the same employee saying he had never seen at least one of the men before. The men are painting the narrative of mistaken identity/using the "All of them look alike" stereotype, which unfortunately does happen a lot. In addition...

How is it not? She made the claim that these specific guys never have money.

Confirmation bias allows the viewer to discount whatever she says because you're inclined to believe the word of the thieves since they posted first and racism is not an extremely rare thing.

That's why this whole scam worked in the first place.

...the men posted additional video with them displaying money in the restaurant to the cameras/employees. While it is good that enough people were skeptical enough to be able to find the "Dine and Dash" evidence based on the manager's initial statement, more "evidence/information" was shown and given by the twitter user than the manager's one statement. It isn't an example of confirmation bias to believe larger amount of "evidence/information".

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
What an embarrassing mess that last thread. Even on the last page one of the comments is "she got momentarily fired from Chipotle, LOL"

OK, yeah no big deal to lose your job and be the target of an online hate mob as long as you wind up getting the job back. All's well that ends well folks!

Makes me want to not come here anymore, so much vindictiveness and negativity disguised as good will, really gross.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
People need to stop with knee jerk reactions until they get the full story.

Some people, both here and the wider internet, want to jump on that sweet confirmation bias but, sometimes, you need to step back and get a full picture.

If your reactions are causing innocent people to lose their jobs, how is that helping your cause?

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I've been falsely banned twice for "downplaying hate speech", despite having done no such thing.

Blaming pewdiepie is literally what these murdering scum wanted people and the media to do. He admits as much in his manifesto. Seeing so many in this very thread take his bait is unfortunate. Pewdiepie condemns and disavows, but it makes no difference to some

Agreed.
Ad homninems. Classy.

You no context to prove that she is in fact a "facist-whisperer", whatever that even means lol

No, she doesn't know, you're implying all of that base on your perception. That's your opinion of her, and I don't agree with it.

Dismissing PDP's continued toying with the alt-right crowd that led to this, and defending/dismissing Candace Owens's hateful rhetoric.

Sounds like you were banned rightfully twice.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah no shit. This entire forum was built off of it. There is no discussion or context. People love to pretend to be "good" by ruining people's lives for "justice".

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Makes me want to not come here anymore, so much vindictiveness and negativity disguised as good will, really gross.

100%

We all just need to take a breath when these stories come out, make sure we have facts by doing investigation, and go from there. It's certainly okay to lean a certain way since we see racist bull shot all the time, but to ridicule these people and call for their livelihoods to be destroyed without knowing the facts just isn't right.

Somni

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Dismissing concerns surrounding hate speech. Doubling down on previous severe infraction.
Dismissing PDP's continued toying with the alt-right crowd that led to this, and defending/dismissing Candace Owens's hateful rhetoric.

Sounds like you were banned rightfully twice.
I did continue anything. I made my initial comment and others responded to me, so I then was in engaged in an argument with several people. I wasn't rude to anyone (if anything the posters were more rude toward me). I was not defending racist comments, because there were none said. in BOTH contexts. No said nothing offensive, I merely stated facts. I wa banned for stating facts. Are you kidding, how is any of what I said cause for an acceptable and justifiable ban?

For once moment remove political bias from this. That is the number one issues plaguing discourse on resretera. It's one thing if regular posters do this, despite how awful it is, but when mods start doing it, then it's disgusting and disingenuous.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
100%

We all just need to take a breath when these stories come out, make sure we have facts by doing investigation, and go from there. It's certainly okay to lean a certain way since we see racist bull shot all the time, but to ridicule these people and call for their livelihoods to be destroyed without knowing the facts just isn't right.

I mean that would be great but I'm talking about people AFTER the fact who dance around the idea that what happened to the manager was undoubtedly damaging and needless, or worse, think it was a fair "price" to pay just because there was a possible whiff of racism / injustice.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
The original discussion in this thread has run its course. If you have any inquiries or concerns regarding prior bans, please feel free to contact mods/admins.

Status
Not open for further replies.