• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
www.cnn.com

Florida will require schools to reopen in August despite a surge in coronavirus cases | CNN

Florida, which initially avoided the worst of the pandemic in its first few months, now has the third-highest number of coronavirus cases in the US at 206,000 and counting.
Florida, the new US hotspot for coronavirus, will require schools to reopen in August.

The state's Commissioner of the Department of Education, Richard Corcoran, issued an emergency order on Monday requiring all "brick and mortar schools" to open "at least five days per week for all students."

Under the order, schools must reopen in full to "ensure the quality and continuity of the educational process, the comprehensive wellbeing of students and families and a return to Florida hitting its full economic stride."
School districts will need to submit a reopening plan that satisfies the requirements of the new emergency order to the Department of Education.

School openings also will need to be consistent with safety precautions as defined by the Florida Department of Health and local health officials and be "supportive of Floridians, young and adult, with underlying conditions that make them medically vulnerable," according to the order.
I suspect this is a beginning of a domino effect where red states will go full steam ahead with fall classes.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Trump makes a demand, idiot red states immediately acquiesce to it. Republicans really want everyone to die, don't they?

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My wife is a teacher. I ain't sending my kids to school.

I am confident all schools will close 2 weeks after opening (If they go through with this)

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
The only time conservatives care about school is when it can harm children and families.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
We lucked out that virtual school is an option for our son. I feel terrible for parents who don't have that option. No fucking way I'm packing my kid into class, lunch and playgrounds with thousands of other kids next month.

Fuck you Desantis.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
if you look close enough, you can see a tiny orange arm inserted into desantis's anus, clearly controlling all his words and actions

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I hope we don't do this in NY
My mom is a nurse who tests people daily and half her patients come back positive, and I don't even live in manhatten....
My classes all have 30+ people and i'm a nursing student so I would have to head back to physical clinicals during COVID

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
This is such a cluster fuck. And masks will be required, but good luck getting small children to wear masks all day.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
We haven't sent our children (4, 3 months) to daycare since early March, and I can't imagine that changing anytime soon? I keep hoping there will be more information that comes out about viral transmission from children to adults, so that maybe that could change.

Feel terrible for the spot this puts teachers in.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
There really is a competition between all the MAGA governors in places like Texas, Georgia, Florida, and Arizona for who is the worst, but I would say DeSantis has a healthy lead so far.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Those poor children and staff. This is going to affect most of my family members.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
How many weeks until the first class goes back on quaratine due to an outbreak?

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
What a puppet. Hopefully parents will do the right thing and keep their kids home instead.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We lucked out that virtual school is an option for our son. I feel terrible for parents who don't have that option. No fucking way I'm packing my kid into class, lunch and playgrounds with thousands of other kids next month.

Fuck you Desantis.

This. My wife is a teacher here. She is terrified. I am willing to leave my kids at home rather than risking their lives. I am certain all schools will close again after 2 weeks or so in August. Corona is going to be all over the schools affecting kids and teachers.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
My county (Orange county) is having a school board meeting live streamed right now. They have a health officer speaking now about the risks and steps they can take to open safely. It sounds like most of the school board is pissed about the reopening executive order

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This. My wife is a teacher here. She is terrified. I am willing to leave my kids at home rather than risking their lives. I am certain all schools will close again after 2 weeks or so in August. Corona is going to be all over the schools affecting kids and teachers.
Dumb question on my end, but can't and wont enough teachers plead with their unions to go on strike if they feel its too dangerous to go to schools or is that not an option?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Teachers get sick just because of kids in general. This is really a disaster. I can't believe people cannot figure out better ways of doing shit.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Are they intentionally making every wrong decision? It feels like they're presented with the non-killing option and the killing option and every single time, they choose death.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
In Massachusetts, each town has to have three plans: in- school learning, at-home learning (curriculum provided to parents), and a hybrid approach (some days child is at school while others they are at home). It is ultimately up to the parents to decide what it best. I think this is a sensible setup for parents of kids, but I don't envy teachers, bus drivers, and other school workers.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
At most 14 days.
I say even the first week. I can see many infected kids going to school on the first day.
Even worse, I bet some parents will knowingly send their symptomatic, untested kids to school. "It's no worse than a cold, they're not that sick, why should I have to stay home from work for this?" Y'know in addition to all the asymptomatic kids who already have it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
These folks need to be up on endangerment charges

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
I live in Florida and our governor is an incompetent asshole, just like the president. Ron DeSantis was the dude who was and continues to be up Trump's ass, almost more than any other republican governor... check out his campaign ad below... It is so embarrassing! It is a much watch to see what we are dealing with in my state.

He is a complete asshole. He took credit for the initial low Covid numbers, even though it was really only due to South Florida (Miami, Broward (including Ft. Lauderdale) and Palm Beach Counties) shutting down early, against his wishes. There is no statewide approach here. He just wants to pander to Trump.

That being said, the only caveat to the executive order about opening the schools next month is that he is allowing "local government" to opt out. So, each county may follow different rules. It is DeSantis' way of not taking responsibility if this goes bad and only taking credit if there is no bad outcome to his continuing ineptitude.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Even worse, I bet some parents will knowingly send their symptomatic, untested kids to school. "It's no worse than a cold, they're not that sick, why should I have to stay home from work for this?"

This.

You be surprised how idiotic and irresponsible
some parents can be. My wife was sick many times last year thanks to parents constantly sending their kids sick to school.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, a lot of Republican religious zealots wanted Trump to bring us closer to the apocalypse...

We're at Biblical levels of pandemic infection now.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Why even mention "full economic stride" in a release about schools? Since when does a school in a community have any bearing on the economy? Mask is off with that comment... if the mask hadn't already been torn away months ago.

Shameful. Good luck parents... your kids are unwitting super spreaders now, and may everyone stay healthy. Honestly, I feel so horribly for you, and for teachers and for everyone connected to this mess.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
And when a child dies by Contracting covid-19 at a school, someone's going to have to take responsibility. A lot of heads are going to roll if that happens.

Hell, when the first teacher catches covid-19 or if they pass away due to covid-19 that's going to be a huge strike going on in Florida and they're going to want to have names of people who responsible. I do not want to be in the State of Florida right now if your a child or a k through 12 teacher.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Not that I agree with this decision, but when are schools suppose to open exactly? Assuming we never find a cure for COVID-19, what's going to happen then?