• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WarioLuigi22

alt account
Banned
May 11, 2019
Lol i came back to this thread to see if someone posted these links already. But yeah too late for most of these people to blow out their torches and put back their pitchforks. Amazing how this forum can condemn a man so quickly before the real facts are even out.
99% chance the thread is just gonna die off now

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Surely someone will come along and tell us why this is actually a good thing.

Also I see godbrain Dr. Musk knows better than hospitals on how they should be treating patients

Yet another reason why Billionaires won't save us. Money and ego can really make one believe that they're suddenly better informed that the actual experts in the field with years of experience under their belt.

This shit is peak America.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol i came back to this thread to see if someone posted these links already. But yeah too late for most of these people to blow out their torches and put back their pitchforks. Amazing how this forum can condemn a man so quickly before the real facts are even out.

I mean it's obviously more important to jump down a billionaire's throat than to give them a chance to respond.

WarioLuigi22

alt account
Banned
May 11, 2019

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Again, for the new page:

www.resetera.com

CNN: Elon Musk's promised ventilators never delivered to California hospitals (Update: non invasive CPAP sleep apnea ventilators delivered)

hes right in that tweet. ive already sat through a couple of webinars that echo his comments on pre-mature intubation and high peep "requirements". theres internal discussion among the people who actually know what the fuck they are talking about on how we might have been approaching ventilating...
I may be wrong but in reading various sources it seems like those are referring to the initial devices he donated which are not real ventilators. People have known about those for weeks as there was a picture of them along with a Tweet about the unit price (578 dollars if I remember). I wouldn't call those ventilators nor do I think most people would.
Did he donate actual ventilators?

Oct 25, 2017
Again, for the new page:

www.resetera.com

CNN: Elon Musk's promised ventilators never delivered to California hospitals (Update: non invasive CPAP sleep apnea ventilators delivered)

hes right in that tweet. ive already sat through a couple of webinars that echo his comments on pre-mature intubation and high peep "requirements". theres internal discussion among the people who actually know what the fuck they are talking about on how we might have been approaching ventilating...

The CNN story does indicate ventilators arrived though

""I told you a few days ago that he was likely to have 1,000 ventilators this week," Newsom said. "They've arrived in Los Angeles, and Elon Musk is already working with hospital association and others to get those ventilators out. It's a heroic effort.""

But then goes onto say Tesla/Musk themselves have not personally delivered them

So there's some weird disconnect going on here

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is musk trying to give his medical opinion like he knows what the fuck he is talking about? Fucking lunatic

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
Surely someone will come along and tell us why this is actually a good thing.

Also I see godbrain Dr. Musk knows better than hospitals on how they should be treating patients

Wow that is embarrassing. It looks like he literally screenshotted the info he had learned 5 minutes ago on WebMD.

WarioLuigi22

alt account
Banned
May 11, 2019
The CNN story does indicate ventilators arrived though

""I told you a few days ago that he was likely to have 1,000 ventilators this week," Newsom said. "They've arrived in Los Angeles, and Elon Musk is already working with hospital association and others to get those ventilators out. It's a heroic effort.""

But then goes onto say Tesla/Musk themselves have not personally delivered them

So there's some weird disconnect going on here
So would you agree the reasonable approach here would've been to let the guy respond and clear the air before condemning him to hell? The replies in this thread are embarrassing. I had a feeling this would happen too.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The timing of that email looks like it's about those CPAP machines he delivered, considering it's from March 27th.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So would you agree the reasonable approach here would've been to let the guy respond and clear the air before condemning him to hell? The replies in this thread are embarrassing. I had a feeling this would happen too.
He's been condemned, rightfully, to hell long ago as he has been a piece of trash for years.

Oct 25, 2017

I would agree the reasonable approach would be to question Musk, as CNN did, and not immediately jump to his defense based on tweets. Musk has a notoriously bad history of speaking out of his ass, including during this pandemic.

I don't know why there has to be smugness in the vein of which you're doing. You can provide those tweets without trying to rub it in people's faces.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Those posts, even if ultimately wrong, will age better than Musk's tweet about Corona panic being dumb (posted a week before the world changed in the US).

WarioLuigi22

alt account
Banned
May 11, 2019
I would agree the reasonable approach would be to question Musk, as CNN did, and not immediately jump to his defense based on tweets. Musk has a notoriously bad history of speaking out of his ass, including during this pandemic.

I don't know why there has to be smugness in the vein of which you're doing. You can provide those tweets without trying to rub it in people's faces.
This exact scenario happens far too often, and people never learn from it. It's a pet peeve of mine in terms of forum culture or whatever.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

So CNN posts a blatant clickbait fake news article with zero due diligence and yet again this forum whips itself up into a hate filled frenzy over absolutely nothing. Seriously guys how many times are we gonna do this?

Oct 25, 2017
This exact scenario happens far too often, and people never learn from it. It's a pet peeve of mine in terms of forum culture or whatever.

Bad forum culture would be doing exactly what you did, trying to rub people's face in something. Musk has a history of bad faith arguments and should rightly be called out for his grandstanding. You can defend his shit but do so better than coming off like an immature child

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Yet another reason why Billionaires won't save us. Money and ego can really make one believe that they're suddenly better informed that the actual experts in the field with years of experience under their belt.

This shit is peak America.
Musk is an idiot for prefacing it with "my personal opinion," but again, what he's describing is a sentiment that a lot of physicians have been sharing in the past few weeks.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think Elon is complicated.

He's an asshole often.

He's also doing some incredible things with SpaceX and Tesla.

I think he should shut his mouth more than he does and some of his opinion and actions have been offensive. I also think that, at times, he seems like he genuinely wants to help and is blinded by being rich and out of touch. No excuses, he should stop talking as much and just give to charities or find ways to support without making such a scene all the time.

I also find the way that he has weird cultish followers annoying. On the flip side, I think the way people on this forum often talk about him is pretty disgusting. Especially when people say things like "we were being sarcastic" as if that's an excuse in any other situation on how you talk about people.

I know we love to dole out justice on people and I think it's fine for Elon to get critiqued for the myriad of idiotic things he's done/said. However, I also think it's sad how people use that to justify saying awful things as well. Just because Elon called someone a pedophile doesn't make rape jokes funny or appropriate for everyone else.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Came in to shit on musk.

Turns out in this scenario musk is in the right.

So that's me pre-emptively told.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that people shouldn't call others pedophiles without any reason. Musk himself, however, sure thinks it's fine to do so, doubled down on such accusations, and went to court and convinced them that it's OK as well. With that in mind I find it a bit ironic that people are coming to his defense against similar accusations. For anyone else I'd agree but for Musk I think he's kind of created an environment in which he should expect to receive that type of accusation.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agree that people shouldn't call others pedophiles without any reason. Musk himself, however, sure thinks it's fine to do so, doubled down on such accusations, and went to court and convinced them that it's OK as well. With that in mind I find it a bit ironic that people are coming to his defense against similar accusations. For anyone else I'd agree but for Musk I think he's kind of created an environment in which he should expect to receive that type of accusation.

I think he was an asshole for that whole fiasco. I'm not going to defend him for that at all.

I'm defending a culture that think rape jokes are appropriate, period. They aren't funny when Elon does them and they aren't funny when someone makes them about Elon because it's "deserved." No it's not. It really feels like people actually think the jokes are funny, but now feel justified in making them because "he did it first." They are not funny. Period. There have been numerous topics on this forum about how we talk about victims of assault and rape and then people think it's fine to make jokes in here about it.

It's like your blind hate for someone justifies turning into a worse version of yourself. Why would you let anyone you dislike do that?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think he was an asshole for that whole fiasco. I'm not going to defend him for that at all.

I'm defending a culture that think rape jokes are appropriate, period. They aren't funny when Elon does them and they aren't funny when someone makes them about Elon because it's "deserved." No it's not. It really feels like people actually think the jokes are funny, but now feel justified in making them because "he did it first." They are not funny. Period. There have been numerous topics on this forum about how we talk about victims of assault and rape and then people think it's fine to make jokes in here about it.

It's like your blind hate for someone justifies turning into a worse version of yourself. Why would you let anyone you dislike do that?
In general I agree with you. I think that the "jokes" you're referring to come from a place of thinking that what Musk did to the diver was completely beyond the pale and frustration that at the end of the day the courts didn't give a shit and much of the public gave Musk a pass. He still has devoted fanboys on this site, for example. I would argue that as clunky as those posts are they're more a rage against the fact that such nonsense was deemed OK than trying to make baseless accusations OK going forward.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

So CNN posts a blatant clickbait fake news article with zero due diligence and yet again this forum whips itself up into a hate filled frenzy over absolutely nothing. Seriously guys how many times are we gonna do this?

I learned not to take any Musk news from the site. The dude is an ass but I don't think anyone gets a stronger bitch eating crackers reaction out of Era.

It's more fascinating than anything.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In general I agree with you. I think that the "jokes" you're referring to come from a place of thinking that what Musk did to the diver was completely beyond the pale and frustration that at the end of the day the courts didn't give a shit and much of the public gave Musk a pass. He still has devoted fanboys on this site, for example. I would argue that as clunky as those posts are they're more a rage against the fact that such nonsense was deemed OK than trying to make baseless accusations OK going forward.

Yah. No. I'm not going to get into the game of ranking rape jokes because some of them come from a good place.

You're not proving anything to "fanboys" by making those jokes. This isn't about Elon. Stop making rape jokes, they aren't funny.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yah. No. I'm not going to get into the game of ranking rape jokes because some of them come from a good place.

You're not proving anything to "fanboys" by making those jokes. This isn't about Elon. Stop making rape jokes, they aren't funny.
I didn't make one nor did I say they're funny. I explained why that accusation is quite different than it would be if it were leveled against anyone else on the planet such as, say, a heroic diver.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Every Musk thread here seems crazier than Musk himself.

It's ok guys. Life goes on.

I admit I find takes like this funny as if the world isn't going through an untold global pandemic that is being handled poorly to downright badly by many of the world's governments leading to mass unemployment, tens of thousands of deaths and counting, and so on. Like its getting crazier everywhere.

Oct 25, 2017

A pedophile rape joke is still that, doesn't matter who makes it and what the context is. If any comedian threw a tweet reply at musk with that people here would be losing their shit calling it inappropriate.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A pedophile rape joke is still that, doesn't matter who makes it and what the context is. If any comedian threw a tweet reply at musk with that people here would be losing their shit calling it inappropriate.

I actually think a lot of people here would say it was deserved. It's similar to how people make prison rape jokes. They think since they're prisoners and are "bad" people, you can joke about rape because it's a punishment that is deserved. Thus it gives you free reign to make jokes about them getting raped.

And we had a thread about that very topic and how poor taste it was.

OP
OP

Deleted member 62561

Dec 31, 2019

sounds like you're mad at CNN for writing the article. nobody in this thread is the author, so your anger is a bit confusing.

the article says they hadn't received a reply from Tesla. your suggestion is that the posters of resetera should have read the article and then waited for musk to get on Twitter and say something before commenting, is that right?

anyway, especially with his Twitter tantrum about this article, elon musk remains patient zero for why letting people have a billion dollars is a bad idea, imo.

hospitals not having enough money to buy critical supplies and having to rely on some loon billionaire to supply them is, you know, bad.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Early reports were that they weren't even ventillators, they were C-PAP machines, y'know, for sleep apnea.

And also that...

The use of BiPAP machines to treat coronavirus patients is controversial. Kaiser Health News reported that using the machines with a face mask could aerosolize the virus, causing it to potentially spread faster. The American Society of Anesthesiologists similarly said in February that using CPAP or BiPAP machines "may increase the risk of infectious transmission."

*edit*

Well, apparently they requested those from Tesla. MY BAD

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I admit I find takes like this funny as if the world isn't going through an untold global pandemic that is being handled poorly to downright badly by many of the world's governments leading to mass unemployment, tens of thousands of deaths and counting, and so on. Like its getting crazier everywhere.

Musk threads were unreadable jokes before the pandemic.

The crazy is definitely increasing on this board, but I think thats pretty understandable given recent events.

The cabin fever is real. But this is always how Musk threads go down. He's a basically a Trump level troll on Twitter and Era takes the bait every time. The biggest difference is that people defend him and the polarization over the guy drives people crazy. If I hated someone that much I would rather it not even enter my mind.

Last edited:

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Remember when Star Trek namedropped this clown