• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds so easy to not doing anything for 20 years but if you ever saw a vegetable in a bed for 20 years you change your opinion pretty quick.
Oh I'm not planning on doing that either. I'd opt for euthanasia within 1 year already if I turned into a vegetable, at least that's what I think right now.

Edit: About your other points: lifestyle is important, but it's nice to know that this research may at least give insight in what the consequences of a lifestyle are. I eat low protein, high carb, am skinny, yet I feel great and full of energy every day. I've been thinking of increasing my protein intake now and then, but this at least gives some more context about a possible negative consequence.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
the article is from cnn, its hyperbole like most health news from the mainstream press

Dec 31, 2017
Nutritional science reporting is terrible. There are likely nuances to these study that most laypeople gloss over, and mostly get the information from the title.

This epidemiological study is extrapolating animal based results that specifically concern "sulfur" amino acids; meaning plant based protein is mostly excluded from this.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Well, you do you please. Remaining active is mostly reached through an active livestyle which needs a bit of protein. If you cut it out it won't be healthy. I'll not take the advice because I still believe in a balanced diet where everything is important. All these extreme examples "cut out this completely, and don't forget to cut out this too" are hyperbole.
No one is saying to cut out protein entirely, just to not eat high protein diets. These days people tend to consume way more than they need. Even if you're trying to build muscle, you don't need such crazy amounts.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I'm not planning on doing that either. I'd opt for euthanasia within 1 year already if I turned into a vegetable, at least that's what I think right now.

Edit: About your other points: lifestyle is important, but it's nice to know that this research may at least give insight in what the consequences of a lifestyle are. I eat low protein, high carb, am skinny, yet I feel great and full of energy every day. I've been thinking of increasing my protein intake now and then, but this at least gives some more context about a possible negative consequence.

Huh? For how long are you doing this high carb diet? Are you doing any workouts on a weekly basis? <_<

Edit:
No one is saying to cut out protein entirely, just to not eat high protein diets. These days people tend to consume way more than they need. Even if you're trying to build muscle, you don't need such crazy amounts.

My bad yes. I somehow thought you were talking about cutting it out completely. I need to put off my hyperbole glasses. :<

Last edited:

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Report: Eating more protein makes you die faster.
Me: So it's a win-win, then.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
In test tubes and animal studies, it appears restricting foods high in dietary sulfur amino acids delayed aging and increased lifespans. In one early study of rats, limiting methionine by 80% increased the rats' lifespans by an average of 43%. Research since then has duplicated that benefit.

But translating that amazing result to humans would be tricky. Sulfur amino acids play key roles in growth, so restricting those foods in rats created stunted, smaller creatures that happened to live longer with fewer diseases.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/02/health/best-diet-worst-diet-2020-wellness/index.html

In addition, higher sulfur amino acid intake was linked to a higher cardiovascular disease risk score. That's not surprising, considering a high intake of fatty foods such as red meat, dairy and other fats are known risk factors for heart disease.

"Don't eat protein" isn't the conclusion I get from this study.

"Eat appropriate amounts of protein for your growth needs and also limit your red meat and saturated fat intake" is a more appropriate conclusion.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
So at the end of the day it all boils down to the obvious. Eat fruit and vegetables, stuff that naturally grew and was always available to humans as they evolved. Meat not so much, carbohydrates not so much. Drink water and non sugary drinks, eat in moderation, get exercise.

Now that that's sorted can someone make a plate of vegetables appealing to me without needing to douse it in calorie rich dressings??

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
As with most things, moderation is key.

Good idea: handful of almonds as a snack in the afternoon.

Bad idea: killing an entire jar of roasted peanuts while binge watching The Mandalorian.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Man y'all going to riot when the next nutritional article says that eating booty is bad for you.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I bet all the study says is most who eat too much protein don't eat fruits and vegetables. So yeah if your diet is balanced it will automatically have less meat.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Why not everything in moderation. lol

I think any diet that pretty much tricks your body into thinking it's dying is going to be overall bad for you.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'd rather have muscle and be able to enjoy the last few years of my life with an active lifestyle... so, pass.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Do they have a chemical hypothesis for why this is? Is it that eating the sulfurous amino acids that can create disulfide bonds like cysteine can form with other proteins that can cause protein malfunction in our living cells?

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Good luck with your sarcopenia. On a more serious note, this again seems like too much micro management when the key risk factor for health outcomes is your waist circumference.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
Put less food in your mouth and stop eating junk.

That's it, that's the secret.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
The last time I looked into this the best way to live a longer healthier life as in you stay healthy as you age was a mainly plant based Mediterranean diet with occasional oily fish and fasting.

Also the too much protein was bad.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
*looks at protein shakes*

oh no

Magneton

Banned
Jul 31, 2018
This is old news. Look at all the regions around the world with the highest life expectancies (a.k.a. the "blue zones"). The people who live in those areas tend to eat meat very sparingly.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"Just, like, only eat leaves. Don't worry about it. You'll live longer if you only eat leaves."

That's what it feels like lately. Everyone's always going on and on about how anything and everything makes you die faster. We're not herbivores.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
If you are a typical meat eater, don't you get way too much protein anyways?

I've been vegetarian for 4 or so years now and I've never really thought about protein. I guess I get enough as I haven't had any issues.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? For how long are you doing this high carb diet? Are you doing any workouts on a weekly basis? <_<
For as long as I can remember. I've been eating a lot of bread since I was like 2 or 3, plus I'm from a traditional family where potatoes were pretty much always part of dinner. So about 30 years now.

Nowadays I eat 10 slices of bread a day and eat a normal portion of 'carbs' (pasta, potatoes rice or whatever) for dinner as well. I do make sure they're 'good' carb rich products though, most of the time with a lot of fiber (whole grain bread, brown rice, whole-weat pasta). I drink pretty much only water all day though.

I don't do workouts, at least they don't feel like workouts. I have a daily 'commute' to my office job (15 minutes) by bike and with colleagues we always walk for 30 minutes on lunch break. Most of the time I use the bike to go somewhere, but always regular speed.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
But people told me to go to the gym and take in more protein. :(

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How about we focus on eating healthy foods before we confuse people more.

This is pretty much what I refer to as my "eat stuff that's not processed" diet.

It consists of:
  • no highly processed vegetable oils
  • healthy fats
  • veggies
  • yogurt [no sugar added]
  • kombucha
  • water
  • black coffee
  • locally sourced meat [really fortunate to have a farmer close by that we can buy from].
I did keto for 2 years and found it too restrictive.
I did carnivore for 3 months, and it took the joy out of food.

At this point, I have just stopped trying to qualify/define my diet in any meaningful way. Just eating healthy, exercise/weight lifting six days a week, sleep, and staying away from processed junk [with the exception of the three slices of pizza I 'allow' myself once a week.]

My partner recently joined a local 'grain share' and she is going to start milling her own different types of flour so perhaps bread will enter the mix.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I've become more and more wary of high protein diets as time goes on. Consuming excess amounts of protein also increases IGF-1 levels, which increases the risk for various diseases and aging.

I feel like statements like these do the science a disservice.
But other studies say you need more protein as you enter old age.

And medical professionals say that muscle mass has a huge role in health outcomes. And it's hard to keep that lean mass without adequate protein.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
But other studies say you need more protein as you enter old age.

And medical professionals say that muscle mass has a huge role in health outcomes. And it's hard to keep that lean mass without adequate protein.
Both things can be true. You can consume low-moderate amounts of protein, increase it slightly as you enter old age and still maintain muscle mass.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty much what I refer to as my "eat stuff that's not processed" diet.

It consists of:
  • no highly processed vegetable oils
  • healthy fats
  • veggies
  • yogurt [no sugar added]
  • kombucha
  • water
  • black coffee
  • locally sourced meat [really fortunate to have a farmer close by that we can buy from].
I did keto for 2 years and found it too restrictive.
I did carnivore for 3 months, and it took the joy out of food.

At this point, I have just stopped trying to qualify/define my diet in any meaningful way. Just eating healthy, exercise/weight lifting six days a week, sleep, and staying away from processed junk [with the exception of the three slices of pizza I 'allow' myself once a week.]

My partner recently joined a local 'grain share' and she is going to start milling her own different types of flour so perhaps bread will enter the mix.
That's impressive. Can't say I do the same, but I try. I eat vegetarian most days if the week and make meals with a variety of fresh ingredients.

Nov 9, 2017
Would need more information on this before jumping to a conclusion. CNN seems to want to post things recently just to get a rile out of people.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I recommend reading The Longetivity Diet by Valter Longo if anyone wants to learn more about this stuff. He is one of the more well known people in this field. These are his recommendations:
Valter Longo said:
Longevity Diet for Adults
  1. Eat mostly vegan, plus a little fish, limiting meals with fish to a maximum of two or three per week. Choose fish, crustaceans, and mollusks with a high omega-3, omega-6, and vitamin B12 content (salmon, anchovies, sardines, cod, sea bream, trout, clams, shrimp. Pay attention to the quality of the fish, choosing those with low levels of mercury.
  2. If you are below the age of 65, keep protein intake low (0.31 to 0.36 grams per pound of body weight). That comes to 40 to 47 grams of proteins per day for a person weighing 130 pounds, and 60 to 70 grams of protein per day for someone weighing 200 to 220 pounds. Over age 65, you should slightly increase protein intake but also increase consumption of fish, eggs, white meat, and products derived from goats and sheep to preserve muscle mass. Consume beans, chickpeas, green peas, and other legumes as your main source of protein.
  3. Minimize saturated fats from animal and vegetable sources (meat, cheese) and sugar, and maximize good fats and complex carbs. Eat whole grains and high quantities of vegetables (tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, legumes, etc.) with generous amounts of olive oil (3 tablespoons per day) and nuts (1 ounce per day).
  4. Follow a diet with high vitamin and mineral content, supplemented with a multivitamin buffer every three days.
  5. Select ingredients among those discussed in this book that your ancestors would have eaten.
  6. Based on your weight, age, and abdominal circumference, decide whether to have two or three meals per day. If you are overweight or tend to gain weight easily, consume two meals a day: breakfast and either lunch or dinner, plus two low-sugar (less than 5 grams) snacks with fewer than 100 calories each. If you are already at a normal weight, or if you tend to lose weight easily or are over 65 and of normal weight, eat three meals a day and one low-sugar (less than 3 to 5 grams) snack with fewer than 100 calories.
  7. Confine all eating to within a twelve-hour period; for example, start after 8 a.m. and end before 8 p.m. Don't eat anything within three to four hours of bedtime.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Is this just because a lot of stuff that has protein in it also can cause heart disease?