• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you regularly recline your seat when flying?

• Yes

Votes: 310 29.7%
  • No

Votes: 732 70.2%

• Total voters

Mark

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/delta-air-lines-seat-recline-change/index.html

Delta is hoping to prevent future conflicts between passengers by limiting how much their seats can recline on certain aircraft, according to The Points Guy's Scott Mayerowitz's latest story.

Starting Saturday, April 13, Delta will retrofit its fleet of 62 Airbus A320 jets to reduce the recline of the coach seats from 4 inches to 2 inches and the recline of first class seats from 5.5 inches to 3.5 inches.

While it may sound like a chance for the airline to stuff another few seats into an already tight aircraft, airline officials promise that's not what they're doing.
"As part of Delta's continued efforts to make the in-flight experience more enjoyable, Delta is testing a small change to its A320 aircraft -- adjusting the recline throughout to make multitasking easier," Delta spokeswoman Savannah Huddleston told CNN Travel.

Delta typically flies the A320 on short- to medium-haul routes averaging one to two hours, which are frequented by business travelers, Huddleston said."That's what makes the A320 an ideal candidate for this test," she said.
Aviation blogger Johnny "Jet" DiScala has already noticed other airlines making the move.
"I just flew last week on Iberia Express between Madrid and Seville and noticed their seats didn't have a recline button, and I thought it would be great if US carriers started doing the same," he said. It will take Delta about two months to get the entire A320 fleet retrofitted. And if the change works for Delta, Mayerowitz predicted that other US airlines will follow.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I'd prefer if flights had enough space that people could recline and like not hurt each other in the process of trying to feel slightly better, but I know that's an utopia at this point lol

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
The wrong side of history won. :-(

Really don't understand why you'd limit first class recline, there's tons of space there. Ridiculous!

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Good idea. Airline seat reclining is like maximum frustration for minimum benefit.
My knees thank you Delta.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I have no problem with people that recline... but the combination of them jamming in more seats and bringing those seats closer together and the recline really can be claustrophobic-inducing on some flights.

Flew Delta on one of these routes last night and the guy in front reclined and it sucked, but that's why I got the aisle seat... if I was in the middle and htat happened, I'm tearing my clothes off and running around because of claustrophobia.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
It's hard for me to open my laptop and type when somebody reclines so this is great as a tall person with long arms

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Wish all airlines would do this.

Once you've had an 8 hour flight where the person in front of you is in full recline for the entire flight you form a life long hatred.

Feb 1, 2018
They shouldn't recline at all, it doesn't make sense when space is already crammed in economy class.

Also throw a little more padding in them so I don't feel toddlers kicking me anymore

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm sure this has nothing to do with shoving more seats on the plane. If they are being legit why are they cutting the recline in first class.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm sure this has nothing to do with shoving more seats on the plane. If they are being legit why are they cutting the recline in first class.

Seriously. It's bad enough they're capitulating to the anti-recline monsters, but absolutely their objective here is to squeeze another half inch of space out between the seats to fit on another row. Airlines never have benevolent intentions, ever. People cheering Delta on are being very short sighted.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reclining is the only small comfort I have, qq.

Seriously. It's bad enough they're capitulating to the anti-recline monsters, but absolutely their objective here is to squeeze another half inch of space out between the seats to fit on another row. Airlines never have benevolent intentions, ever.

And this. I bet they do add a row in.

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Reclining on smaller jets is a big no no, but I recently went on my first trans-Atlantic flight and the space there was fine to recline into, although saying that 2 inches seems like it would be fine so no complaints here

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big guy and when people recline in front of me, my nose and mouth can be like 6 to 8 inches from the top of their head. With bald men, I like to breathe as heavy as I can… Big humid moist breaths to fog the top of their inconsiderate domes.

ImperatorPat

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I've never flown first class but it is surprising to me they feel the need to reduce recline there.

With the reduced recline in economy would people feel ok if the person in front of them reclined the shortened distance? I usually don't recline my seat because I just don't think of it.

Jersa

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA (USA)
I typically fly Delta about 4 times a week, and usually get upgraded to First Class. Not really sure why they would alter the pitch on those seats. There's always plenty of room to work on a laptop even with the seat in front fully reclined.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Good. Hot top, put your knee up a few inches behind the seat in front of you. When the person reclines they will hit your knee and think that's as far back as the seat goes.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Good

Another reason for me to continue flying on Delta

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
THANK YOU

On a recent flight, I had the woman in front of me recline all the fucking way back during mealtime. It was frustrating as hell and the flight attendants couldn't do anything about it.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I typically fly Delta about 4 times a week, and usually get upgraded to First Class. Not really sure why they would alter the pitch on those seats. There's always plenty of room to work on a laptop even with the seat in front fully reclined.
Those are the customers that complain the most. Complain about everything. If a peasant from the back even steps into the front, they turn up their noses.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
I'm glad for the taller people who need more leg room. I personally value the ability to recline more, due to my bad back, so I'll probably avoid Delta. But if airlines aren't gonna stop stuffing us in like sardines, at least there are some options to cater to different needs and preferences.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome news, got to book a few flights on Delta coming up, hope they are on these planes

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think every seat on the plane should recline after takeoff and uncline before descent

Problem solved

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I don't recline at all on flights shorter than four hours.

Anything longer and I fly business (first in the US), and those all have fully flat beds.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
I think every seat on the plane should recline after takeoff and uncline before descent

Problem solved

Now this is an intelligent individual, right here!

As for the rest of you, this thunderous applause is going to be a lot less thunderous when Delta announces they're taking away another inch of seat pitch. But hey, in the meantime, at least you get to be happy about inflicting more neck and back pain in your neighbors!

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Good. It's fine in moderation but if I can't put my head on my knees in my own chair it's gotten too ridiculous.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Cue the endless members here who suddenly all have "back problems" that require them to slam into my knees.

And no-ME RECLINING AS WELL DOESN'T SOLVE THE PROBLEM SO STOP SAYING IT.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why they'd do it for first class though. But if it's only on planes for short flights, then good on them.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Reduced leg room and reduced reclining. Flying in American sure is a dream.