• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I've never heard of them because the media never covers them.

Acting like the media is biased against AOC and the squad when the article coverage is about 10,000:1 in her favor is something else.
I live in NJ-11. I worked in the Sherrill campaign.

She is not a leader on impeachment. It's great that she came around even in a reddish district but come ON.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Moderates are the people who see a struggle between monstrous fascist ghouls, and people for justice, equality, and human rights, and think to themselves, "Hm, perhaps we need a little bit of both"

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
100% this.

Clapping back at people on Twitter is great for making the front page of Reddit but you usually aren't convincing anyone that isn't already on your side. You need the firebrands but you also need moderates to fight the battle in the trenches because the middle is where the court of public opinion is won.

BOTH OF THESE GROUPS ARE LEADERS. Without both of them, you don't get anywhere. Freaking out because white women got one article's worth of credit is NOT PRODUCTIVE.

You know goddamn well that you're arguing in bad faith and yet you still persist.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Liberals whitewashing a moment of cultural significance?

shockedpikachuface.jpg

LOL this shit is predictable as pie. The center-left will ALWAYS pull this kind of shit. White supremacy doesn't just exist on the right, y'all. The center-left propagates it and always has.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus.

People often focus on how bad Fox News is with its pro-Republican spin on every piece of news that comes out.

They often forget CNN does the exact same thing and is often just as bad at doing under handed racists/phobia shit.

Example: (Fake)

Donald Trump almost drops a baby.

Fox News: Donald Trump barely holds on to baby saving it's life!

CNN: Donald Trump hates babies and threw one on the ground today.

The spin is fucking unwatchable on these networks anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
The increasingly unchecked hostility on this forum towards moderate democrats gets really tiresome. That there's been no effort to curb this behavior by the moderation team is the real disappointment.

The uncomfortable truth ResetEra will have to accept one day is that the progressive firebrands of the world aren't the one's responsible for the current Democratic majority in the House, it's those "fence sitting, corporate dems". As they're the one's most vulnerable to losing their seats in the next election cycle, it was their support for impeachment that drove Nancy Pelosi to make the formal announcement of the inquiry. No one's denying that the AOCs of the world have been beating the drums of impeachment for months, but they're in a position where they can be comfortable enough to do that without losing their seat.
It is so interesting to me that this could be the takeaway for some people; that you could have such a different perception. Do you agree with the video (or someone like Jake Tapper generally)? Do you feel that "beating the drums for months" somehow doesn't make that person the actual leader, that being the "loudest voice" isn't warranted in this historic context?

Is it at all normal to you that CNN produced this video of four white women and presented them in such a way that neatly juxtaposed them against 'the squad' and then spends a few moments patronizing them and painting them in a bad light? And somehow managing to recognize the momentum they created.... for the environment! And not even mentioning impeachment. Too loud, too combative, tsk tsk.

Ultimately another big question that people don't ask themselves enough is what is the right thing to do? Has the president done enough to warrant impeachment? And what damage do congresspeople do to any message that 'Yes, obviously it is time for impeachment' when they sit silent with their arms crossed? The idea that they should be applauded for only stepping up now and pretending as if what Trump had done previously wasn't already undermining the "democratic institutions" they are fearful for....I dunno. I understand their situation and their political reticence but they are not heroes or leaders, CNN.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The increasingly unchecked hostility on this forum towards moderate democrats gets really tiresome. That there's been no effort to curb this behavior by the moderation team is the real disappointment.

The uncomfortable truth ResetEra will have to accept one day is that the progressive firebrands of the world aren't the one's responsible for the current Democratic majority in the House, it's those "fence sitting, corporate dems". As they're the one's most vulnerable to losing their seats in the next election cycle, it was their support for impeachment that drove Nancy Pelosi to make the formal announcement of the inquiry. No one's denying that the AOCs of the world have been beating the drums of impeachment for months, but they're in a position where they can be comfortable enough to do that without losing their seat.

The stuff in the OP is reprehensible and part of a pattern that goes back decades, to the Civil Rights Era. You're whining for moderation help but this whitewashing is totally unacceptable, is the problem.

Rashida Tlaib, when she took office, got into a ton of shit because literally the day she was sworn in she mentioned impeachment.

Omar, AOC, and Pressley have been pushing for impeachment since January. Al Green has been pushing for impeachment for ages now too.

This is erasure by libs, putting white people at the head of a movement which was spearheaded largely by women of color! And it's indefensible.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No one is saying they don't need them.

the problem is calling them leaders when they haven't led shit and "the squad" has had to deal with all the vitriol and threats while being the actual leaders. The ones who kept pressing on for Dems to take action and didnt wait until Trump forced their hand.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a very strange post. I'm a liberal, and while I may not agree with Democrats like this I will defend them when they're not doing anything wrong since they our allies and we do need them in this coalition to survive. I'm concerned that if I say yes to this the implication would be that it was bad. Am I right?

But this is clearly wrong?

D0xku2d.jpg

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like people who don't follow politics are getting angry about reading a headline.

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It is so interesting to me that this could be the takeaway for some people; that you could have such a different perception

Not defending the video as anything more than typical CNN drek, I'm commenting on the framing of the entire thread and the disparaging of moderate, "Corporate Dems" that's happened in multiple posts in this topic and throughout other political topics on this forum, especially as these democrats that were able to make headway in what were traditionally Republican leaning areas across the country are the only reason that Pelosi has been able to act in the way she has on this issue up until now. They may not regularly make the headlines or have the twitter following the squad's enjoyed up until now, but they are the reason that Democrats have any sort of say in the era of Trump.

Ultimately another big question that people don't ask themselves enough is what is the right thing to do? Has the president done enough to warrant impeachment? And what damage do congresspeople do to any message that 'Yes, obviously it is time for impeachment' when they sit silent with their arms crossed? The idea that they should be applauded for only stepping up now and pretending as if what Trump had done previously wasn't already undermining the "democratic institutions" they are fearful for....I dunno. I understand their situation and their political reticence but they are not heroes or leaders, CNN.
Waiting until there's an unambiguously condemnable action solely perpetrated by Trump while in office has, if anything, strengthened Democrat's hand in this situation as opposed to if they had jumped on something more amorphous like obstruction or justice or russian collusion and tried to bring in other charges as they came up down the line. I trust that these (and other) moderate dems have a better read on the temperature's in their districts and have acted accordingly.

If they'd jumped immediately after the Mueller report had come out they wouldn't have even had the majority of Democrats, let alone the House to support impeachment.

The stuff in the OP is reprehensible and part of a pattern that goes back decades, to the Civil Rights Era. You're whining for moderation help but this whitewashing is totally unacceptable, is the problem.

Rashida Tlaib, when she took office, got into a ton of shit because literally the day she was sworn in she mentioned impeachment.
As she should have. When she took office we hadn't seen the conclusions of the Mueller report and it weakens the argument of Democrats that they aren't simply waiting for any reason to impeach the president when they pre-emptively jump the gun on the question before the definitive investigation on the subject has been completed.

Last edited:

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Not defending the video as anything more than typical CNN drek, I'm commenting on the framing of the entire thread and the disparaging of moderate, "Corporate Dems" that's happened in multiple posts in this topic and throughout other political topics on this forum, especially as these democrats that were able to make headway in what were traditionally Republican leaning areas across the country are the only reason that Pelosi has been able to act in the way she has on this issue up until now. They may not regularly make the headlines or have the twitter following the squad's enjoyed up until now, but they are the reason that Democrats have any sort of say in the era of Trump.

As she should have. When she took office we hadn't seen the conclusions of the Mueller report and it weakens the argument of Democrats that they aren't simply waiting for any reason to impeach the president when they pre-emptively jump the gun on the question before the definitive investigation on the subject has been completed.

I'm waiting for the answer to my question.

Is Maxine Waters a progressive firebrand?

Because she was at the forefront of the forefront of calling for impeachment, and was the slings and arrows while "The Squad" was weighing whether or not they even wanted to run.

It seems, to me, that the framing of this issue is poor in more ways than one.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
The U.S. is a lot more white and moderate than some people think: it is newsworthy when "the center" gets on board because that's when things tend to change.
ERA is hyper-aware of how white and moderate the US is.

Considering the topic at hand let's not conflate moderation with white-ethnocentrism because basically that's what this coverage is doing and it's frustrating because I bet you out of various actual leaders of impeachment only 1 of them was thinking in ethnocentric terms.

That Jack Tapper link is really disgusting but it highlights how too many white people in journalism think. They can't take someone of different skin tone seriously. Trump has done a ton of things worthy of impeachment since day 2 of his admin. This is undeniable and it has been why many people of various skin tones have been calling for impeachment even Warren called for it nearly as early as they did. Is Warren now gleeful to put the screws on Trump? Does her own concerns being so early to call for impeachment make her claims less serious?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
From people who think about race all the time yet it's impolite to mention it. but lo, what a surprise when they make a move like this. A pre-gaslit race effect from people who swear they can't see race.

suddenly a new Squad appears.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious: what role should moderation play here? What infractions have there been? Beyond people saying things you disagree with.

Waiting until there's an unambiguously condemnable action solely perpetrated by Trump while in office has, if anything, strengthened Democrat's hand in this situation as opposed to if they had jumped on something more amorphous like obstruction or justice or russian collusion and tried to bring in other charges as they came up down the line. I trust that these (and other) moderate dems have a better read on the temperature's in their districts and have acted accordingly.

If they'd jumped immediately after the Mueller report had come out they wouldn't have even had the majority of Democrats, let alone the House to support impeachment.
Two things:

- how was Trump's obstruction of justice ambiguous?
- "wouldn't have even had the majority of Democrats" - you do realize how this is circular logic?

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

We didn't even need the Mueller report to impeach Trump. It was obvious since day 2 he would use his position to profit and every month we got more clues it was likely true until the dam burst a few months ago.

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm waiting for the answer to my question.

Is Maxine Waters a progressive firebrand?

Because she was at the forefront of the forefront of calling for impeachment, and was the slings and arrows while "The Squad" was weighing whether or not they even wanted to run.

It seems, to me, that the framing of this issue is poor in more ways than one.

I'm not sure why you've brought up a Representative who's district has a partisan lean of +29 D to a conversation about vulnerable Democrats representing R leaning or battleground districts pushing for impeachment, the entire point is that " they're in a position where they can be comfortable enough to do that without losing their seat. "

I don't know a thing about Maxine Waters but I don't see how she's relevant to anything being discussed here. Feel free to elaborate though.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
We didn't even need the Mueller report to impeach Trump. It was obvious since day 2 he would use his position to profit and every month we got more clues it was likely true until the dam burst a few months ago.
Donald Trump has been in blatant violation of the emoluments clause and actively profiting from the presidency since the moment he was sworn in!

People think the Mueller Report didn't pack a punch because it was "confusing." I've always been of the mind that it wasn't effective because it was late.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know a thing about Maxine Waters but I don't see how she's relevant to anything being discussed here.
She called for impeachment before these moderate Dems did. In other words she helped "lead" the charge like a "leader" does, even during a time where you say she should've taken a ton of shit, because it was too soon.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
I'm not sure why you've brought up a Representative who's district has a partisan lean of +29 D to a conversation about vulnerable Democrats representing R leaning or battleground districts pushing for impeachment, the entire point is that " they're in a position where they can be comfortable enough to do that without losing their seat. "

I don't know a thing about Maxine Waters but I don't see how she's relevant to anything being discussed here. Feel free to elaborate though.
You don't know a thing about Maxine Waters, but you know the makeup of her district? You're trying to hard to sound impartial.

Also, I have a major bone to pick with the idea that being from a blue district meant calling for impeachment was "comfortable" or easy. There were Democrats from equally blue districts criticizing Waters. She was attacked by the president regularly at his rallies and had to beef up her security because her office started regularly receiving death threats.

Oct 27, 2017
There are and have been myriad of reasons to impeach Trump since he took office. The reason he is still there is the republicans put power and party over country.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
Thank god the moderates immediately stepped in when Trump went after an old white man and his kid.

Muslims and mexican kids though? fuck them kids.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is pure nonsense. We knew that Trump had Russian interference to help him win in 2016. There was plenty of reason to impeach him before the Mueller report even came out! It wasn't preemptive. And as Royalan points out, Maxine Waters was talking impeachment before this Congress was sworn in. Al Green too, since May of 2017! It wasn't just the left wing of the House.

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You don't know a thing about Maxine Waters, but you know the makeup of her district? You're trying to hard to sound impartial.
It took all of two seconds to google, should I have gone into her stances on the green new deal and healthcare to make your argument for you? You brought her up and the only thing you've been able to say on the matter is that she was an early voice on the impeachment call. Cool, thanks for the insight.

I don't know when Maxine Waters decided to call for impeachment, if it was before the release of the Mueller report then it was premature but since bringing her up you've failed to mention why she's at all relevant to my original post disparaging the tone on this forum with respects to moderate democrats or the ease with which people sitting in comfortable democratic districts can call for impeachment compared to those who have more skin in the game.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
It took all of two seconds to google, should I have gone into her stances on the green new deal and healthcare to make your argument for you? You brought her up and the only thing you've been able to say on the matter is that she was an early voice on the impeachment call. Cool, thanks for the insight.

I don't know when Maxine Waters decided to call for impeachment, if it was before the release of the Mueller report then it was premature but since bringing her up you've failed to mention why she's at all relevant to my original post disparaging the tone on this forum with respects to moderate democrats or the ease with which people sitting in comfortable democratic districts can call for impeachment compared to those who have more skin in the game.

"I don't know anything about this person, but let me tell you why she isn't a leader on the subject we're talking about."

Snake

Oct 25, 2017
1. Obviously the people who have been pushing for impeachment for the longest time and who have worked to put pressure to move forward on impeachment are the most deserving of praise and credit, that should be crystal clear. Even if the members who have Republican-leaning districts deserve credit for risking their seats for this, they have most certainly not been "leaders" on impeachment, and we should never forget those who have been at the actual forefront of this long, painful fight (which is far from over). It's important to remember that even those who have solidly Democratic districts face a tremendous amount of hatred and danger for speaking out against the right, especially in an era where the President of the United States encourages the absolute worst tendencies of his virulently racist base.

2. This is a CNN article written by CNN's Dana Bash. This is not a Democratic Party press release. The thread title and the people taking it at face value are attacking a very strange and irrelevant strawman.

3. It would be immensely helpful if some people actually understood the labels they are using. These congresspersons being discussed in the article are moderates aka the center aka centrists. The people some of you are supposedly defending and trying to credit are overwhelmingly center-left, aka liberals (sometimes "very liberal") aka progressives aka "the libs." None of them are far left or "the true and only left." For context, Jeremy Corbyn's UK Labour Party is a center-left party, not a radical left-wing party, just as the UK Labour Party was a center-left party when they enacted socialized medicine in the 40s. Stop conflating capital-L Liberalism or Economic Liberalism in the political science sense with the term liberal as actually used in American politics, which merely means "broadly left-leaning."

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017

My suggestion to you, before you take such a hardline position in this thread, is that you spend a few more seconds googling.

Maxine Waters is a lifelong Democrat, but her politics are more closely aligned to the center left than they are to the far left. If you were aware of that, you would know why I brought her up. If you're certain that calls for impeachment before the Mueller Report were "premature," you would know the significance of me bringing up the first Democrat to openly call for Trump's impeachment.

Maxine Waters is a moderate. Framing those who actually led on impeachment as "progressive firebrands" with no skin in the game is, frankly, bad framing.

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"I don't know anything about this person, but let me tell you why she isn't a leader on the subject we're talking about."
Again, couldn't care less about the video itself. You can call yourself a leader on impeachment for all I care - my problem has been with the disparaging of "moderates" in this thread and other threads on this forum.

Why would you think that?

Because the Mueller report represented the definitive non-partisan analysis of questions that had swirled around the president since initially taking office. Trump sucks, but questions of whether or not he had committed an impeachable offense were centered almost entirely around questions that were being answered by that investigation. Calls for impeachment before the results of that report came out were pretty much worthless as a result, and if you're going to frame a party's decision to impeach a president off of results coming out of that report, then it helps not to look too eager to impeach the guy before the facts have come in.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Spanberger accused progressives who opposed the concentration camp funding as not wanting to feed children?

Good times.

"That week showed me that for some people, ideology matters more than putting food in the mouth of a child," she said. "And that was stunning to me."

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Again, couldn't care less about the video itself. You can call yourself a leader on impeachment for all I care - my problem has been with the disparaging of "moderates" in this thread and other threads on this forum.

Because the Mueller report represented the definitive non-partisan analysis of questions that had swirled around the president since initially taking office. Trump sucks, but questions of whether or not he had committed an impeachable offense were centered almost entirely around questions that were being answered by that investigation. Calls for impeachment before the results of that report came out were pretty much worthless as a result, and if you're going to frame a party's decision to impeach a president off of results coming out of that report, then it helps not to look too eager to impeach the guy before the facts have come in.
these are not the quotes i would like to see you respond to. please go again.

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My suggestion to you, before you take such a hardline position in this thread, is that you spend a few more seconds googling.

Maxine Waters is a lifelong Democrat, but her politics are more closely aligned to the center left than they are to the far left. If you were aware of that, you would know why I brought her up. If you're certain that calls for impeachment before the Mueller Report were "premature," you would know the significance of me bringing up the first Democrat to openly call for Trump's impeachment.

Maxine Waters is a moderate. Framing those who actually led on impeachment as "progressive firebrands" with no skin in the game is, frankly, bad framing.

They don't have any skin in the game though, not in comparison to the moderates (in moderate districts*) that have come forward in support of impeachment. Again, the relevance of Maxine Waters to this discussion is wanting. Even if politically she's a moderate the calculus changes when standing atop her +29 Democratic leaning California district. Her prematurely calling for impeachment in that environment doesn't speak to a bravery or leadership so much as a freedom that other members in her caucus haven't had up until now. It's not a decision that she is making with the threat of potentially losing her seat for it in the 2020 cycle.