• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'm the only person here that's glad that they waited for something like this before starting the impeachment process. I can't fault these people for "fence sitting" then moving forward when the circumstances and evidence presented itself. I wouldn't call them leaders of the impeachment process, but leaders for the moderate members in this process. It's a game of numbers and it seems they made a big difference.

And hey, I'm also glad it's highlighting women here.

Oct 28, 2017
I cannot even with this.

How someone could think to themselves "You know what AOC definitely hasn't gotten enough of? Media attention. Fuck these white people that I've never heard of for getting a single news story about them." is beyond me.

Like how blatantly anti-white are we gonna go here?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
How someone could think to themselves "You know what AOC definitely hasn't gotten enough of? Media attention. Fuck these white people that I've never heard of for getting a single news story about them." is beyond me.
Would you classify someone you've never heard about as a leader?

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Dude commits multiple crimes against minorities and people of color.

Nothing happens.

Dude does a crime against a moderate white man.

IMPEACHMENT INQUIRY.

Also here are the group of white women that are the heroes for this.

/America.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot even with this.

Well my biggest problem is that a lot of the media coverage AOC gets is bad. I have nothing against the women presented here though, but AOC has been taking an unfair media beating for mostly being right on this subject.

THube

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot even with this.

Anti-white. Wow, good lord, that's your takeaway.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I cannot even with this.

It has nothing to do with being anti-white. If it were a white legislator who was bravely going out and saying "This President has zero credibility!" and calling for his impeachment when his first slate of crimes rolled out. If it were a white legislator who was denigrated by this President as being "low IQ," and had everything from her district to her wigs mocked by right ring media, but never wavered in her convictions. If it were a white legislator that was speaking truth to power while the rest of her party ran scared and ducked behind polls, all while death threats were being sent to her office. If it were a white legislator doing that, I'd gladly sing their praises.

But it wasn't. It's wasn't AOC, either.

It was Maxine Waters. Lifelong public servant, Patriot, and leader on the impeachment of Donald Trump.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot even with this.

This is extremely fucking embarrassing. Jesus, get a grip.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The irony of minority women being pushed aside in favor of moderate white women for their bravery against Trump (who is mega racist and referred to the former as savages) and half the people in this thread are all "who cares who gets the glory" as long as he gets impeached.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
The irony of minority women being pushed aside in favor of moderate white women for their bravery against Trump (who is mega racist and referred to the former as savages) and half the people in this thread are all "who cares who gets the glory" as long as he gets impeached.
On the other hand, the more voices we highlight against Trump the better. I'd hope no one is getting pushed away from the credit they deserve, but many voices should be highlighted here. Whatever the most effective means of removing him is is what should be done.

Oct 28, 2017
This is extremely fucking embarrassing. Jesus, get a grip.

Please explain to me how.

The squad has done some great things and due to that has gotten almost universal praise and constant media coverage for 2 years. These white ladies get one ounce of positive press and we're gonna act like AOC and company are victims and are being "pushed aside?"

Naw fam, they're gonna be fine.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Saying the media doesn't cover these people isn't even true.

Abigail Spanberger and Mikie Sherrill have gotten tons of coverage in the NyTimes as the "anti-Squad moderates."

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
These white ladies get one ounce of positive press and we're gonna act like AOC and company are victims and are being "pushed aside?"
The positive attention they're getting is that they're being framed as leaders of the impeachment movement. It's literally in the title of the piece.

That's the context you're leaving out/ignoring.

It's fine for white people to get positive attention when they do positive things. It's not fine for them to be centered or written in such a way that seems to overstate their importance in comparison to the work being done by people of color alongside them.

aka, whitewashing.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
And also the media that AOC and other minority women get is.....not good. In fact they're more often than not shit upon in an attempt by our media to boost that "dems in disarray" narrative. It's where all the Maureen Dowds, Jake Tappers, and Chuck Todds gather around and dump on them.

So that's another point of why this framing of impeachment is garbage.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I cannot even with this.

It's hard not to notice how the array of people this article chooses to present as "leaders" on impeachment does not include any of the people of color who have been openly and consistently advocating impeachment since they were elected.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

The squad has done some great things and due to that has gotten almost universal praise and constant media coverage for 2 years. These white ladies get one ounce of positive press and we're gonna act like AOC and company are victims and are being "pushed aside?"

Oh so we're just lying now?

Okay then.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Leaders is the wrong word, but them moving to the side of impeachment pushed the whole thing forward. I would probably change the hedline to:

"Moderates who should have reacted much sooner, now FINALLY realize things are bad and have moved the party to act"

Oct 25, 2017
The U.S. is a lot more white and moderate than some people think: it is newsworthy when "the center" gets on board because that's when things tend to change.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
The story is also pretty shit for leaving out Crow and Cisneros, who actually is a minority, who also contributed to the OP-ED.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Like literally this same day with the same fucking network:

Jake Tapper asks if Rashida Tlaib and Al Green "undermine the seriousness" of the impeachment inquiry

I am NOT letting you motherfuckers on this board rewrite not only the past but the ongoing present. Not today Satan.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
"aoc is universally praised" is just like "MLK and the other leaders of the civil rights movement were universally loved, they just ended up assassinated/imprisoned/exiled by accident"

always fun to see whitewashing in real time

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why people are pretending to be obtuse. These women aren't leaders, we can agree on that. The article unnecessarily throws shade at The Squad though and flirts with racist tone policing at some points. Fuck CNN (again).

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The increasingly unchecked hostility on this forum towards moderate democrats gets really tiresome. That there's been no effort to curb this behavior by the moderation team is the real disappointment.

The uncomfortable truth ResetEra will have to accept one day is that the progressive firebrands of the world aren't the one's responsible for the current Democratic majority in the House, it's those "fence sitting, corporate dems". As they're the one's most vulnerable to losing their seats in the next election cycle, it was their support for impeachment that drove Nancy Pelosi to make the formal announcement of the inquiry. No one's denying that the AOCs of the world have been beating the drums of impeachment for months, but they're in a position where they can be comfortable enough to do that without losing their seat.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get why people are pissed but let's be lets be honest about one thing. The squad coming out for impeachment early was way easier for them politically considering they come from liberal districts.

These women here all ran in red districts and ran campaigns that for the most part didn't mention trump. Without these "corporate dems" we didn't have the votes to impeach in the first place.

All this bullshit infighting is so frustrating.
Getting death threats and openly mocked by the right and some colleagues for years is a lot harder than whatever these homicidal white ladies are getting credit for doing.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
The increasingly unchecked hostility on this forum towards moderate democrats gets really tiresome. That there's been no effort to curb this behavior by the moderation team is the real disappointment.

The uncomfortable truth ResetEra will have to accept one day is that the progressive firebrands of the world aren't the one's responsible for the current Democratic majority in the House, it's those "fence sitting, corporate dems". As they're the one's most vulnerable to losing their seats in the next election cycle, it was their support for impeachment that drove Nancy Pelosi to make the formal announcement of the inquiry. No one's denying that the AOCs of the world have been beating the drums of impeachment for months, but they're in a position where they can be comfortable enough to do that without losing their seat.

Is Maxine Waters a "progressive firebrand"?

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
They're 100% using this as a wedge to legitimize democrats not within the establishment orbit by trying to take away the credit and credibility they're due for pushing impeachment before it was the default and more broadly for being generally the moral leaders of american politics.

CNN is not your friend.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
As some point in the near future, moderates and progressives will have to go against each other. For now we're on the same team.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017

White fragility at its finest right here.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I remember a strong woman saying... Let's impeach the motherfucker, and I don't see her on that picture...

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
The media has been doing this since January where they'll cover Sherrill, Spanberger, Slotkin, Luria, etc. in a piece and ALWAYS ask them about AOC or the Squad to try to draw a comparison between the two groups. In this article, they leave out the men who penned the opinion article on impeachment with them and then make sure to devote an entire section to asking the women about the Squad and making sure to mention Spanberger and company aren't "divisive" and don't get in Twitter fights.

It's incredibly obvious what the media is doing.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Wow what the heck? I need to look into this but wow, not looking good. Maybe they were doing silent work that was more effective, I don't know, but I'm not buying it at face value.

Not even giving the others any recognition for being very vocal and up front even challenging Pelosi though? Jackie Chan What.jpg

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I remember a strong woman saying... Let's impeach the motherfucker, and I don't see her on that picture...

Because she didn't gain any traction by saying it. Progressives and most moral people have wanted to impeach since day 1. That's no surprise. It's the rest of the country that needs to get on board now. There is a real chance to get some Republican rats to jump ship and go against Trump. I don't think it's a good chance, but it could happen.

Oct 28, 2017

100% this.

Clapping back at people on Twitter is great for making the front page of Reddit but you usually aren't convincing anyone that isn't already on your side. You need the firebrands but you also need moderates to fight the battle in the trenches because the middle is where the court of public opinion is won.

BOTH OF THESE GROUPS ARE LEADERS. Without both of them, you don't get anywhere. Freaking out because white women got one article's worth of credit is NOT PRODUCTIVE.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
100% this.

Clapping back at people on Twitter is great for making the front page of Reddit but you usually aren't convincing anyone that isn't already on your side. You need the firebrands but you also need moderates to fight the battle in the trenches because the middle is where the court of public opinion is won.

BOTH OF THESE GROUPS ARE LEADERS. Without both of them, you don't get anywhere. Freaking out because white women got one article's worth of credit is NOT PRODUCTIVE.
You didn't read the article or see the clip. Your post doesn't address the shade thrown at the Squad. It's blatant what CNN is doing, that's what people are beefing with.

You can praise these women without trotting out racist tropes but that was too hard a task for CNN.