• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
(CNN)Canadian Thanksgiving was just last month, and the country has seen consequences as Covid-19 cases reach record highs. Now, Canadian leaders say Christmas celebrations are in jeopardy.
Thanksgiving in Canada fell on October 12 this year, and as family and friends gathered, it fueled a widespread surge in coronavirus cases, hospitalizations and deaths. Now, public health officials warned the health care system cannot handle a repeat at Christmas.

"Reducing your contacts, reducing your gatherings are going to be most important. And what we do in the coming days and weeks will determine what we get to do at Christmas," pleaded Prime Minister Justin Trudeau at a news conference Friday.

Casual socializing has been a key source of the spread in almost every part of Canada, said Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada's chief public health officer.

"An important driver of this increased disease activity continues to be informal social gatherings and activities both inside and outside our homes," Tam said. "In these more relaxed settings such as family gatherings, birthday parties, holiday celebrations and recreational activities, it is natural to relax. But this can mean that it's easy to forget and let our guard down on the necessary precautions."

Tam warned new daily cases could more than double in just a few weeks if Canadians did not take health precautions seriously.

We need to get our fucking acts together, people.

Active cases: 48,125
Recovered: 232,915
Total Cases: 291,931
Deceased: 10,891

www.cnn.com

Christmas celebrations are in jeopardy if Canadians don't stop gathering with friends and family now

Canadian Thanksgiving was just last month, and the country has seen consequences as Covid-19 cases reach record highs. Now, Canadian leaders say Christmas celebrations are in jeopardy.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so fucking glad our Government stepped in hard and stopped the spread in Australia. Canada needs to go full lockdown.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
It still makes me infuriated and confused at why some folks cannot simply express even a small modicum of self-control? Knowing that patience and control, will collectively get all of us out of this Wave 2 situation.

I have said this before, but increase fines and criminal penalties for those who are purposely negligent and breaking the rules. Those $ 100, 000 fines for house/group events aren't enough.

These are a small portion of folks, who are the ones responsible. The vast majority are still abiding by the rules.

That our death count still remains static in number for the most part, is lucky though.

I'm so fucking glad our Government stepped in hard and stopped the spread in Australia. Canada needs to go full lockdown.

From our understanding, Scotty From Marketing's people actually did nothing, but it was more the heroic localized state and municipal governments who actually did the right thing. Or did his government who fucked up so badly during the bush fires, actually make a drastic turn for the good? Honestly asking.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
It's reported that it's starting to hit our long term care homes again in big numbers. Either our provincial governments need to step up ...
giphy.gif

Or the feds take over and lock us down

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
"In jeopardy"
Christmas was cancelled back in the Spring for me.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, I just realized there are more people in California than in the entirety of Canada.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
He's right. I think a lot of people are still wearing masks, but not enough. The people who aren't are ruining it for everyone.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Not quite sure what's going on in Canada at the moment. I'm in Ottawa, and our cases are way down compared to the rest of Ontario and I have no idea why.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
From our understanding, Scotty From Marketing's people actually did nothing, but it was more the heroic localized state and municipal governments who actually did the right thing. Or did his government who fucked up so badly during the bush fires, actually make a drastic turn for the good? Honestly asking.

I don't like Scomo but he did shut down the boarders quickly and the federal Government has been providing income support for people who lost their jobs and those who lost hours from their jobs. The states Premiers decide on their type of lockdowns. Victoria had a 2nd wave but this has recently been supressed and we've had 0 cases for 16 days straight(the states highest was about 750 daily cases. So it was a team effort.

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
Too many assholes thinking they know better and refuse to wear masks. I saw a lady today yell at the poor kid at the door handing out masks at WInner's, telling him "You're not a scientist - I don't have to wear a mask". Like, WTF lady?

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
People are dumb and selfish. Only chance is a vaccine now. It's sad because we basically had the virus beat a month ago with case numbers in the single digits in some places.
But we had to have kids in schools and then everybody just gave up...

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Don't allow retailers to do in store Black Friday/Boxing Day sales. What's the point of all these measures if you're going to let them allow people to congregate in such large numbers? People are going to be standing outside without masks I can just see that happening.

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017
You can't stop families from gathering. It's unenforceable and even if you jailed families for gathering you'd run out of prison space. Before it got to that you'd have a revolt though. The west isn't China. You can't weld people in their homes. People are going to die. Hundreds of thousands more of them. Best to start preparing now. Luckily a vaccine is around the corner to reduce the long-term prognosis of deaths.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
While I get the urge to put the blame on dumb or selfish people, I think it's disingenuous to ignore that cases started spiking in areas where schools and businesses re-opened. Even in the best case scenario, the rates are going to skyrocket based on those factors alone. This is especially glaring because most of the people going to work or the kids going to school largely have no say in the matter.

It's been crystal clear for a long time that the only solution is to shutdown almost completely and pay people to stay home.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
BC was doing great leading into summer. Then by July it's like everyone just stopped giving a shit.
Schools opening back up was just as bad here as it was in the States. 6 months of lock down and seemingly no Premiere had put together a plan that wasn't shrug and hope for the best. That and as you said, everyone just stopped giving a fuck. Bad combo

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize we were having a christmas truce with COVID. Like the lads getting out of the trenches in WW1 to play football together

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I admit I have been visiting my best friend especially since my depression has been taking a toll on me. We both have been taking the necessary precautions though and we are not in a hotzone for covid. Other than that though I've been avoiding socializing with other friends.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Traffic in Toronto was ridiculous today. Nobody is listening. Unless ALL of those drivers were out for food shopping at the same time...