• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017

He says it around 1:39 of the video interview/townhall.

I had mentioned in another thread I had made(which disagreed with Dr. Fauci's statement that the US will return to a semblance of normalcy around the same time as Canada), that late 2022 would be the earliest approximate timeline. With early to mid 2023 being more of a realistic timeline. There is just too much active resistance to change for a full scale level set of the US, to occur much sooner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
If everyone is vaccinated

That is indeed a large hypothetical scenario, because of the IF that is involved in it.

But what if they are opposed to it, and decline to do so(like how they are declining to follow medical/scientific guidance) simply because of the absolute lunacy of their "beliefspolitical allegiance?

🤔

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
If everyone is vaccinated no reason things can't be normal by end of this year.

A lot of people are going to refuse to be vaccinated even if the rollout goes well.

I think Biden is being cautious in his answer here. And the definition of "normal" will be different to many people. But we are our own worst enemy in regards to getting there.

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017
He says "next Christmas" but then proceeds to say a year from today we should be in a much better place. So I take him to mean Christmas 2021? Either way, still some time

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
That's a glass of cold water in the face to a lot of people. I agree with him but I'm not going to show my wife because she's having a hard time with the pandemic lately.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
He said next Christmas, and then a year from now, meaning this coming Christmas. This coming Christmas is next Christmas.

Tiger Priest

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
New York, NY

He says it around 1:39 of the video interview/townhall. Next Christmas(2022)

I can agree with this. I had mentioned in another thread I had made(which disagreed with Dr. Fauci's statement that the US will return to a semblance of normalcy around the same time as Canada), that late 2022 would be the earliest approximate timeline. With early to mid 2023 being more of a realistic timeline. There is just too much active resistance to change for a full scale level set of the US, to occur much sooner.

If you listen he was clearly implying Christmas 2021.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
People will go back to normal by themselves. Even in blue, educated cities, people are tired of this and partying or meeting with random people all the time.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory Commentary
But theres a 0% chance everyone would ever get vaccinated.

I'm not staying away from normal for those cunts.

Edit: even my sisters one of them. There's no explaining to her. I don't care what individuals choose but I do think they should have to sign something that bars them from hospitals as a result of COVID.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
He says "next Christmas" but then proceeds to say a year from today we should be in a much better place. So I take him to mean Christmas 2021? Either way, still some time

He says next Christmas 2022 when initially addressing the ideal "normal" portion, but then adds on that by the start of next year(around this time), the US should have less people requiring social distancing/measures, and by next year's 2022 September school year, things should be significantly better than now(unless something goes wrong). He started off by painting Christmas 2022 as the ideal, and then explained the intervals between now and then.

If you listen he was clearly implying Christmas 2021.

Next Christmas is 2022.

This/Upcoming Christmas is 2021.

If you look at my breakdown above, the talking points follow that logic as well.

Unrivaled

Banned
Oct 13, 2020
People will go back to normal by themselves. Even in blue, educated cities, people are tired of this and partying or meeting with random people all the time.
Yes, I know lots who have followed every rule and are very close to the edge with not being able to see friends or family.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
He says next Christmas 2022 when initially addressing the "normal" portion, but then adds on that by the start of next year(around this time), we should should have less people requiring social distancing/measures, and by next year's 2022 September school year, things should be significantly better than now(unless something goes wrong). He started off by painting Christmas 2022 as the ideal, and then explained the intervals between now and then.

Next Christmas is 2022.

If you look at my breakdown above, the talking points follow that logic as well.
He clearly means Christmas 2021 when saying next Christmas. If it's Monday, and you say next Sunday, you mean that coming Sunday.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Based on how they're vaccinating, should see a dramatic shift by year's end. You have to realize anti-vaxxers are loud. They aren't more than 10% of the US population.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
If Christmas 2022 is the goal, the economy is mega fucked. Christmas 2021 seems reasonable enough. I think he meant Christmas 2021.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Dunno about everyone else, but when I get vaccinated, I'm going back to normal....because by that time, everyone else should have been vaccinated as well.

Tiger Priest

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
New York, NY
He says next Christmas 2022 when initially addressing the ideal "normal" portion, but then adds on that by the start of next year(around this time), the US should have less people requiring social distancing/measures, and by next year's 2022 September school year, things should be significantly better than now(unless something goes wrong). He started off by painting Christmas 2022 as the ideal, and then explained the intervals between now and then.

Next Christmas is 2022.

You're pointing out semantics. The context pretty clearly sounds like he's talking about this upcoming Christmas. I'm not the only one who thinks this if you look at other posters. Please edit your OP to remove that information if you think it's ambiguous.

Unrivaled

Banned
Oct 13, 2020
Based on how they're vaccinating, should see a dramatic shift by year's end. You have to realize anti-vaxxers are loud. They aren't more than 10% of the US population.
I don't necessarily think most who won't take the vaccine are anti vax. Many people I know won't take it because it's "rushed" and these are liberal and left leaning people so that scares me.

Unrivaled

Banned
Oct 13, 2020
Naw, it'll be open before then. Once vaccine rollouts are better done you're gonna have the borders open especially if they require proof of vaccination of all members crossing up.
Canada won't be getting vaccinated until fall at the earliest for most. US is way ahead of them so unless Biden sends us vaccines I can't see it.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I don't necessarily think most who won't take the vaccine are anti vax. Many people I know won't take it because it's "rushed" and these are liberal and left leaning people so that scares me.
Naw, they'll take it. If they hold out long enough just call them anti-vaxxers and move on.

Canada won't be getting vaccinated until fall at the earliest for most. US is way ahead of them so unless Biden sends us vaccines I can't see it.

And that doesn't stop people who are vaccinated from coming up if Canada allows them to.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
We need to get back to normalcy by summer. Our economy, and the mental health of everyone can't take this for much longer.

If we can even get 70% of the population vaccinated, that would surely be enough.
Guaranteed, if there was a national system where you need a proof of vaccine for travel, or large events like concerts. Most of the population would just do it.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
We're going to be well beyond "this" by late summer. Once everyone has had a chance to get the vaccine, we're going to go back to relative normal, whether its the right thing to do or not. People are tired. "Normal" is relative, we'll still be masking/distancing in public at that point, but outside of that most people will just be living their lives, getting together with friends, seeing family, going to the movies, shopping in stores. We'll be like 75% of the way there. By the start of next year we'll be all the way. Will COVID vanish? Of course not, but that's literally never going to happen. There will absolutely be a point where those of us who are vaccinated will shrug our shoulders and say "good luck" to those who refuse to get vaccinated. We certainly need to make it widely available so truly anyone who wants the vaccine can get it first, and provide a little time to try to convince vulnerable communities, but we're not going to wait forever. People are already at their breaking point.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
He's clearly implying Christmas 2021. "next Christmas" is 10 months away. Honestly I think we'll reach "normal" a lot faster than that based on the trends, but Biden is giving a very modest estimate and he subtly explains why in the beginning of the video (doesn't want the GOP 10 months to use Bidens estimation against him)

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
If Biden meant Christmas 2022, he would have said Christmas 2022 as that prediction goes against almost all other predictions as to when there should be herd immunity.

People shouldn't be expecting this year to be normal though. Most models have us near herd immunity sometime in October or November at best.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
You're pointing out semantics. The context pretty clearly sounds like he's talking about this upcoming Christmas. I'm not the only one who thinks this if you look at other posters. Please edit your OP to remove that information if you think it's ambiguous.

I disagree with this, but I will still edit the OP respectfully. You even refer to the Christmas of 2021 as this and upcoming when discussing it. Not "next Christmas 2021", but no worries.

He breaks down the logical best case scenario, and includes the milestones along the way to get there(first the state of now, next year around this time, and then by the start of the following year's traditional 1st school term). And to get there, it would require guidance/instructions followed and active vaccinations occurring by a vast majority of American citizens.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018

Anti vaxxers actually are frequently liberals, its something that started on the left. The right has grabbed a sizable chunk of that group, but there are tons of liberal anti vaxxers, maybe even the majority of them.

As for it being "rushed", the facts are pretty clear that its not. I can understand some hesitance, especially with how politicized it was made last year, but anyone who is still refusing to get vaccinated 6 months from now is absolutely an anti vaxxer at that point.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
He clearly means Christmas 2021 when saying next Christmas. If it's Monday, and you say next Sunday, you mean that coming Sunday.
Different people do this differently which is why everyone's always so damned confused when someone says it.

My family, for example:
Last = The immediate previous
This = The upcoming or today
Next = The one after the upcoming, unless the day being talked about is today (So if it's Sunday, next Sunday is the upcoming Sunday. But if it's Monday, next Sunday is the Sunday after the upcoming Sunday).

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Normal by late 2022 to summer 2023 would guarantee a routing of the dems in the midterms. Keeping restrictions in place combined with no "2,000 dollar checks" (I know we will probably get 1400, but not delivering on 2,000 can be weaponized in soundbites) would be talking points for the GOP they could get a lot of support behind. "We warned you that the Dems would keep you locked in your basements and the schools closed forever if they won. They told you 'next summer' in 2020 and they are still telling you 'next summer' today, 2 years later. As long as they keep winning they are going to keep saying 'next summer'. We want everything opened up. We want your kids to go back to school. We want America to prosper again."

Oct 27, 2017
I think the world will be awash with Vaccines by the end of the summer, esp in first world countries. For anyone who wants one. I think next Christmas is a decent timeframe to include hiccups.

Tiger Priest

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
New York, NY
I disagree with this, but I will still edit the OP respectfully. You even refer to the Christmas of 2021 as this and upcoming when discussing it. Not "next Christmas 2021", but no worries.

He breaks down the logical best case scenario, and includes the milestones along the way to get there(first the state of now, next year around this time, and then by the start of the following year's traditional 1st school term). And to get there, it would require guidance/instructions followed and active vaccinations occurring by a vast majority of American citizens.

I appreciate the edit. I think the start of the school year he is referring to is this upcoming September though, which may be where some of the ambiguity lies. There's no reason we can't hit herd immunity by this summer even with current moderna/Pfizer supplies.

Oct 25, 2017
If you're pegging a return to normalcy anything beyond early 2022 I think you'd be in like the 98th percentile of pessimism among experts at the least. This summer would be really nice if a little unlikely, Fall would be a good realistic goal, and end of the year is eh but I could see it. That's the vibe I get from experts.

Keep in mind it's in Biden's interests to set expectations low.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Man, it's nice having a president who isn't a buffoon and seemingly cares about the country and not just himself.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly speaking if we reach a point where everyone who wants to be vaccinated is I figure that that's when things go back to "normal" even if it's a ridiculous number like 33% that's still unvaccinated or something. It's real hard to make an argument that all of society should suffer to protect a portion of the population that refuses to be vaccinated, has a habit of flaunting every measure you put in place to protect people, doesn't appreciate you attempting to protect them and is looking to punish you politically for doing so. So once they're all that's left I assume it's go time for restoring normalcy.

Except for the poor medical and mortician employees who will be stuck feeling this longer.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There is almost no probability we don't reach "normal" by the end of the year. For everyone who wants a vaccine, they'll have one. For everyone who's a fucking moron, they're basically already out there living it up already.

Even if there are still a moderate number of deaths...and there very may well be...people just aren't having it anymore.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I don't think people have the tolerance for it. Just being honest.

Yep. We're not even holding on now as-is - if you tell people they still can't gather even 9 months from now when 80+% of the population is vaccinated, there will likely be open revolt. In my opinion, if you can get 80% of the population immunized, then that's good enough to relax restrictions. That might not be until the summer, but nobody's going to want to be wearing masks and staying home this time next year.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
2022 sounds realistic.

Things will slowly start to trend up from the latter half of this year and onwards. There will be setbacks (mutations) and travel will only slowly resume. It will take years to get where it was.

If everyone is vaccinated no reason things can't be normal by end of this year.
All people getting the vaccine(s) is not happening. Ever.

Also, the "everyone can get vaccinated this year"-predictions are only for a couple of advanced/wealthy countries. Vaccinating most of the world's population will take much longer.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard Fauci very recently say that we should return to some degree of normalcy by the fall, which is when vaccines will be widely available to anybody who wants one. It would make no sense for Biden to be talking about Christmas 2022. He just chose the somewhat ambiguous term of "next" instead of "this." I hear people say this sometime depending on the proximity of the day, date, or event. We're far from Christmas, so it's not unheard of to say "next Christmas." If we were like a month away from it, yeah, that would be very odd.