• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This is a big deal if you were getting groceries delivered by Amazon, it was 14.99$ previously.

Other grocers also offered delivery, but I do not believe it was free.

New York (CNN Business)Amazon is eliminating its fee for grocery delivery in the United States as competition heats up in the rapidly expanding food delivery business.
Before today, Amazon charged Prime members a $14.99 monthly subscription fee for its Amazon Fresh online grocery delivery service. Two-hour Whole Foods deliveries were free for many Prime customers through Amazon's Prime Now delivery app.
Starting Tuesday, grocery delivery from Amazon Fresh is free for Prime members who have previously used the grocery-delivery service.
Amazon is rolling out the new, free service in phases: Prime members who haven't yet ordered groceries can request an invitation. Amazon didn't say when it will start taking on new grocery-delivery customers.
The delivery minimum for the Amazon Fresh service is $50 in New York City and $35 in a majority of the other 2,000 regions the service is available in.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty excited that I won't have this fee anymore.

Other grocers also offered delivery, but I do not believe it was free.
There is a Verge article on this where they mention that the other two have services where they will let give you free delivery if you have their service.

I'm not sure if that counts as free delivery or not. I don't know for sure what, if anything, changed regarding Fresh if you already had Prime. But I'm glad to see that they've dropped the monthly charge and will be refunding a pro-rated amount.

Oct 27, 2017
This is very cool. I use Peapod for my grocery delivery and actually really enjoy it but I can see myself getting stuff from Amazon on occasion when it's not on Peapod. The option is helpful.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
RIP Seattle traffic. It was bad enough already with same day delivery. Pretty soon is going to be faster to walk than it will be to drive.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do they only do Whole Foods? Or is it like Instacart where you can do other local stores?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
WholeFoods is down the hill from my house but this can be beneficial when life gets hectic.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Does amazon delivery offer more than the sitry whole foods offbrand stuff?

Only store in my area is a whole foods. Ironically I'm going to be using this amazon product to bypass an amazon product if so.

HenrySwanson

Nov 23, 2017
south-park-s22e09-Unfulfilled_16x9_1080p_2-1200x675.jpg

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Tempting until I remembered what a rip off Whole Foods is. They have some insane prices on all their goods.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Closest place to me is Whole Foods which I only go to in an absolute pinch. The last time my girlfriend ran there to grab something quick she accidentally got me homeopathic cough medicine that was fucking useless lol.

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So instead of Amazon boxes people are now going to steal Amazon groceries from people's front doors.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
They are almost certainly losing money on every delivery.

The entire long-term vision is that they force competitors out of business (your local grocery stores that also offer delivery, and have a local store you can drive to) and control the market.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That would be cool if they hadn't stopped Amazon Fresh in my town after buying Whole Foods. Now I'm stuck with Amazon PrimeNow if I want groceries through them

The entire long-term vision is that they force competitors out of business (your local grocery stores that also offer delivery, and have a local store you can drive to) and control the market.

Amazon Fresh isn't cheap (neither is Prime for that matter). I doubt they're losing money --- especially now that they have their own delivery service in place for other orders anyway

Oct 25, 2017
...has Seattle area even had a monthly fee for Fresh recently? I thought they got rid of it years ago; just a minimum order threshold. But with the advent of Prime Now most of my Fresh ordering stopped since I could either Prime Now faster or go with a local grocer for general cheaper prices.

You get 'real' grocery options too with Fresh (at least in the Seattle region) not just Whole Foods stuff, and the Fresh selection differs from both the Amazon and Whole Foods grocery selections on Prime Now. A few years back Amazon Fresh had a pretty wide range of local vendors you could get stuff from--at one point you could get refrigerated meals from local restaurants to reheat--but now it's just a couple of highlighted local brands, Whole Foods, and a decent grocery selection.

Amazon Fresh has still been more expensive than a 'normal' grocery store for me, in general, but it is nice to be able to order a bunch of bulky or heavy stuff and just have it left outside your door.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
ive never used fresh but i did get the email today

what do you guys use it for?

at first glance the prices seem expensive as hell.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
What a game changer. Now I don't need to lugg around boxes of toilet paper cereal anymore.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm never going to the store ever again lol. Prime Now was already great but this literally kills any reason for me to leave my house to get groceries.

RIP Instacart. Don't see how they could possibly compete with this.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon Fresh isn't cheap (neither is Prime for that matter). I doubt they're losing money --- especially now that they have their own delivery service in place for other orders anyway

"Amazon has never been afraid to invest in the things that customers love," said Stephenie Landry, the Amazon vice president who oversees the company's online grocery business. One possible translation: We're willing to lose money now in order to attract enough customers to make the economics work out later.

It's not a guarantee that they lose money, but even with their own vehicles, it still can't be cheap to delivery within 2 hours for free.

I've used it in the past, especially for bulky things. It's definitely convenient, but there's no denying what their strategy is.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon fresh was worth it when it was $14.99 a month even better now that is free. It is a shame they no longer deliver to my house.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Those who have used this before, what do you usually tip the delivery? Percentage, $5, changes based on how much you spend?

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

Indeed. The "have everything delivered with one-click purchase" future is not one we should be cheering.