• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I'm by myself at the theater 9 times out of 10. It's hard to get groups together who want to check out stuff like Cold War.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I could watch a movie at home on my own TV, eat whatever food I want to, with a cat on my lap with my husband next to me watching the move quietly or I could go to the theater with people eating full meals and then some, being loud, using their phone, getting up to get more food/use the bathroom/whatever. Even a nearly empty movie can be annoying with people. I am not a huge movie fan so when I do watch one, it is always at home.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
My movie going has dropped off considerably, but that was always a move -- especially if it's something I really wanted to see. Earliest available showing on Sat/Sun morning. No lines, quiet theater, and you guarantee yourself a prime viewing angle. If friends want to see it, I'll go again, but it all kind of started because my friends never really had the the broadest tastes in films and stuff didn't hit streaming in a matter of weeks(much less day & date) like it does now, so If I wanted to catch something anytime soon I'd often have no choice but to go alone.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Fucking love it. I stopped for a while because of my work hours but went to Spiderverse the other day and was like "I miss this". I usually only go to movies when my kid wants to go but I may make exceptions to that.

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I remember the first time I went to the theater alone. I was a teenager still, so I'm not too ashamed to admit I was a little self-conscious, thinking people were looking at me weird. Now it's just routine. I saw Wreck-it-Ralph 2 by myself recently, and plan to see Alita (though my dad might tag along).

Honestly, anyone who thinks going to the theater alone is worth derision is a fucking idiot.

Phil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Try eating out alone at a fancy restaurant and not giving a fuck

Simply Euphoric

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the best, you can go in for some nice quiet time with a film as it's meant to be seen, smuggle in food and nobody cares, it's a fun time.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_o04pvgvrWR1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For all the people who say "Why would I want to go to a movie theater where everyone is eating, yelling, messing around on their phone?":

Is that stuff seriously a frequent problem for you, or are you just imagining reasons to stay home because you want to stay home? I go to the movies at least a couple times a month, and I have not really had a disruptive audience in ages. The last time I had someone messing around on their cell phone during a movie was Amazing Spider Man 2.

Yeah, maybe don't go to a Friday night showing that is packed full of teenagers and families.....but I don't get why people act like it's the norm to have a theatre full of talkers and phone-users. That's a pretty rare exception, rather than the rule.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
1 ticket? Just 1 ticket?
Yes, only 1.

Its neither awesome nor awful. Kinda depends of the movie tbh. I always did both, in good company > alone > shit company

Going to a movie theater when you should be at work, now that my friends is the real goat experience.
it gets better when going to the movies becomes a part-time job.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I don't go to the cinema as much, but I have a nice OLED+ 5.1 surround system that sounds amazing for movies. :) I don't even need to go to the cinema as much I already have it at home!

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
I've always gone to the cinema alone when i want to watch a film. It never felt like a guilty pleasure, or something weird to do. Right now I'm going between monday and Wednesday in the morning because cinemas here in my country make discounts to tickets bought during that period and it's fantastic, cheap, with very few people in the room who usually behave like decent human beings (meaning they dont stare at their phones with brightness to the maximum or make loud noises), so it's a win-win situation every time.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
I started going to movies solo when moviepass was still a thing. Don't do it as often now but I have no shame doing it.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
It's true though. I once spent a whole day at the cinema. Watched 4 or 5 movies. It was a good time. I'm about to go again in a few days, alone of course.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I saw Dragon Ball Super: Broly in a totally empty theater and it was amazing. Anime movies are usually a miserable experience because of all the screaming dbag anime fans.

Pacify

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, it's an enjoyable experience. Half the time I go during the day it's a few solo people anyway. The last time I brought this up around friends (early to mid 20s for context) it was pretty evenly split between people who enjoy going to movies alone and people who would never do it, but enjoy other things alone like concerts.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm willing to bet everybody in the movies you've seen recently thread goes to the movies alone constantly. I don't even think about trying to convince somebody to watch a slow Korean drama, I just watch them.

You sit in the dark, you don't talk, you watch that movie. It's communal, but it's anti social. I don't need anybody for that.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love going to the movies alone. There is zero stress. I can understand it being viewed as socially akward to start going alone, but it really is a refreshing way to see a movie if you genuinely enjoy the movie experience.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
When I went to see The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug HFR, I was literally the only one in the theater.

It was glorious

Oct 26, 2017
Moviepass / A-List had me discover this beautiful sacrament.

It's meditative. Solitary escapism. It's my Sunday mass (except on a Tuesday afternoon when the theater's most empty).

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Been doing it for more than 10 years. Yeah it is great to do now and then.

I just don't agree that going to the movie theatre is a social experience. You sit in a dark room and are supposed to be quiet and not to disturb others. Watching a movie with friends at home is a 100 times better social experience than at a theatre.

Going to a movie theatre is a terrible idea for a date as well.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I like going during matinee for blockbusters. It's quite soothing and fun.

Netflix is still ace however.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
hmmm I should totally try this. No one wants to see Alita and it sounds like a fun time waster.

Jaoox

Oct 27, 2017
Did it a few times.

It's better than I expected.

BUT

Where I live, no matter what, it's expensive as hell. Subscription or not.
On average, 1 month of Netflix is about the same price as 1 movie ticket. Or even cheaper depending on the theater.
Even if I had all the money in the world I wouldn't want to support that kind of pricing honestly.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've only done this once, for The Force Awakens.

It was...fine I guess. I wasn't crazy about being surrounded by tons of people coughing in my face though. :P

I'm sorry, but nothing beats the comfort of home imo.

Nothing I love more than eating a nice dinner meal while watching Netflix on my propped up iPad. :)

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that was great when I was a college student getting discounted tickets for $5. NYC is like $15 or more right now right? I stopped going years ago.

Grenouille

Nov 26, 2017
If you go by yourself and the movie is not good it can feel like wasted time. If you go with someone else and the movie sucks, at least you get to hang out and talk about how much it sucked.

There is also a difference to be noted between going to the movies by yourself because you are lonely and dont have (almost) anyone vs having options but choosing to be alone. The former experience can deepen your loneliness feeling.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I used to think it strange. Like there were times I went with others and I'd see these random people turn up by themselves and wonder what their story was.

Now I do it plenty of times. Whether it is just because it is a movie I want to see and no one else is interested, or I just want to do something by myself without having to worry about others. Also it shouldn't really matter because you should be watching the film and not talking and causing distractions anyway, so the more people who go by themselves probably is better for all.

My wife and I went to see Searching towards the end of its run and we were the only people there. It was great. Smuggled in some fried chicken.

Somehow I don't think that counts as you went with your wife and she went with you. This is about going to the cinemas just by yourself.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I go by myself occasionally because I like to support my local independent cinemas.

It's also fun.