• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Cant WB just can the whole thing and sue Miller into the ground for the damage they caused?

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Releasing straight to streaming services would be one way to reduce PR. I came see WB reshooting the movie at all, which is a massive shame

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Transphobic rhetoric, prior bans for transphobia and racism
Drop it on HBO Max and call it a day.

Also Ezra Miller can fuck off to the sun, pronouns and all.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Warner Bros genuinely had the ability to stop this spiral had they went into action during the first big problematic Ezra Miller incident (when Ezra choked a woman in a store) prior to the merge with Discovery. Instead, at the time, they thought they could sit back and do absolutely nothing, not even put out a fucking statement which is the bare fucking minimum. It's ridiculous to be honest. I hope that DC Fans continue to call WBD out until their hands are forced to essentially do SOMETHING because the longer they stay quiet, the more they're enabling Ezra Miller which could lead to even more incidents.
DC Fans won't do a god damn thing except try and force the "hashtag Ezra Flash cut" to come out when they think they're missing out on the directors Original Vision™️ and claim it has "nothing to do with Ezra" they "just believe in cinema".

Feb 16, 2022
DC Fans won't do a god damn thing except try and force the "hashtag Ezra Flash cut" to come out when they think they're missing out on the directors Original Vision™️ and claim it has "nothing to do with Ezra" they "just believe in cinema".
This is a very cynical take that I haven't seen happening so far, and I'm saying this as part of the people who supported the Snyder cut thing.

DC fans have been vocal in not supporting Amber Heard and calling out Aquaman 2 for still having her on board. Let's not generalize here.

Wiggle

Nov 25, 2019
They threw away CNN+ they can do it with this movie.
The comparison to CNN+ is flawed. That service was a failure out of the gate with very few subscribers. The idea to close it so quickly was an attempt to cut their loses instead of sinking more money into the service with the hope things will turn around. Keeping the service alive was an active investment, meaning it had big operational costs of running. That is very different than a movie that is (mostly?) completed.
Also, saying they killed CNN+ so they can bury this movie as well kind of says the opposite of what you seem to be trying to say. "we lost 100 million on CNN so we can lose 200 million on The Flash" does not make much sense. The opposite is more likely, "we just lost 100 million on CNN, we cannot afford another huge loss".

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WB should just scrap the flash movie.
Ezra(they) should just surrender to police.
WB should just mend the fences with Tim burton and let him direct Michael Keaton to another batman movie, release the batman scenes in that scraped flash movie on the blu ray as extras.

Done.

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
I feel like a deepfake would be fine , look at how ILM flexed with Luke after a not so great initial go at it … plus it's fine if it's a bit wonky, you just need an actor willing to digitally stand in. Also there was that one I believe German movie that used similar tech to make the mouthes of the actors match the dubbed language. I feel like there are options.
How expensive would a deepfake be to replace Ezra?
I really, *really* don't want to watch this movie if they're in it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

It would be pretty ridiculous to deepfake an entire movie where the same actor is in every scene, sometimes playing multiple characters. Those little digital Luke de-agings were short cameos, not a full-length film.

Oct 27, 2017
To make it not look like shit? Very expensive, and I don't think the tech is anywhere near the level of convincing to cover an entire effects heavy film with the lead performer playing multiple iterations of the character at once.

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
I feel like a deepfake would be fine , look at how ILM flexed with Luke after a not so great initial go at it … plus it's fine if it's a bit wonky, you just need an actor willing to digitally stand in. Also there was that one I believe German movie that used similar tech to make the mouthes of the actors match the dubbed language. I feel like there are options.
Deepfake Luke, who only shows up in a few scenes, is nowhere even comparable with an entire movie. It is, simply, not feasible. Might as well ask to scrap the entire movie and start over from scratch.

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
It would be pretty ridiculous to deepfake an entire movie where the same actor is in every scene, sometimes playing multiple characters. Those little digital Luke de-agings were short cameos, not a full-length film.

To make it not look like shit? Very expensive, and I don't think the tech is anywhere near the level of convincing to cover an entire effects heavy film with the lead performer playing multiple iterations of the character at once.

An expected, but unfortunate response :(

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
I wish someone would leak a price quote from a VFX studio. This isn't directed at you but for a $200 million dollar movie does very expensive mean $1 million, $10 million, or a $100 million.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I wish someone would leak a price quote from a VFX studio. This isn't directed at you but for a $200 million dollar movie does very expensive mean $1 million, $10 million, or a $100 million.

The Army of the Dead replacement cost millions for a secondary character.

www.youtube.com

Official Army of the Dead VFX Reel featuring. Tig Notaro

This is a collection of some of the most complex visual effects shots from Army Of The Dead including how Tig Notaro was digitally inserted into the movie!Su...

Sonic the Hedgehog's replacement cost $5 to 10 million for a completely CG character.
And the studio shutdown immediately afterwards because of the expense of working in Vancouver.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
They missed out on locking Miller up in the WB water tower with Yakko, Wakko, and Dot.

At this point they would need to CG a different flash over Miller to release the movie despite the cost. There's no way they can release it now and pay him royalties.

Anyone who knew of Miller's behavior and helped hide it need to be banned from the industry or be considered accomplices.
The Warners don't deserve that.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
If it was only $10 million they would certainly take the hit / claim insurance and do it. For a full length movie it's probably way way higher.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Who are Warner thought Erza should be in 2 tentpole franchises is beyond stupid.
I think they had no idea that Miller would be a serial predator a decade ago.

Yeah. Again, Ezra has been performing since they were a child.

There may have been signs, but they were probably very easy to swat away.

"Oh, Ezra is so quirky." "Ezra's mentoring so many young people."

If it was only $10 million they would certainly take the hit / claim insurance and do it. For a full length movie it's probably way way higher.

And isn't this movie already delayed because of VFX?

Dec 13, 2018
Deepfake Luke, who only shows up in a few scenes, is nowhere even comparable with an entire movie. It is, simply, not feasible. Might as well ask to scrap the entire movie and start over from scratch.
Based on what, amateurs are pretty good, I've used the tools myself… can't be that much worse than the mustache in JL. I think you're underestimating how fast and how good the tools are getting.

Luke got 10 minutes of screen time in book of Bobba. The budget for book of Bobba was 14 million per episode, let's say ball park they spent 1/6 of that budget just on luke though I bet it was less… that means for 120 minutes of raw Ezra that'd be 28 million of primo ILM. I mean that weird experiment the South Park guys did with deep fakes was like 15 minutes of it and looked fine and was way cheaper than ILM

I think if anything, the hard part is to get a actor to agree to be in the movie that way that's high profile enough to be flash. Or it's old Hollywood thinking where they don't bother to ask around what could be done in that area and are hitting their typical studios who maybe haven't invested in deep fakes yet.

Now would it look weird sometimes, sure, but I dunno seems better than just writing the whole thing off. I doubt things will be that much better if they try and release it next year.

Last edited:

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017

I dont think that money its the "only" problem here (even if its big one). The time that it would take and even more work to their overworked VFX team its a lot!

We are talking about deepfaking an entire movie heavy on visual effects. On general deepfakes works weel when the light source is the same and imovable, for example, deepfaking someone while the sun rays from a windows changes, its much more difficult.

Because the visual effects of this film have a lot of lights and lightning, maybe they will have to scrap the work done and redo parts of the VFX which already took a long time/effort.

Another thing is that probably Ezra face/head changes a lot in the movie, unmasked, masked, partially masked, injuries, etc. Every variation makes a deepfake even more dificult/time consuming.

Plus we know that this movie had alternate versions of Flash, portrayed by Ezra, i think that final rumour was 3? Every scene with multiple flashes - Double the work.

...And the chery on top is that this movie would be a soft reboot on DC cinematic universe, so the next movies will have to be delayed/reworked too, if they decide to change Ezra

Just a note, I 100% agree thar Warner should kick Ezra from this movie.

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
They can be recast or replaced so easily. Hollywood use to recast people like nothing. And with a character like the Flash, that has so much to do with timelines and universes, it's not that hard.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Based on what, amateurs are pretty good, I've used the tools myself… can't be that much worse than the mustache in JL. I think you're underestimating how fast and how good the tools are getting.

Luke got 10 minutes of screen time in book of Bobba. The budget for book of Bobba was 14 million per episode, let's say ball park they spent 1/6 of that budget just on luke though I bet it was less… that means for 120 minutes of raw Ezra that'd be 28 million of primo ILM. I mean that weird experiment the South Park guys did with deep fakes was like 15 minutes of it and looked fine and was way cheaper than ILM

I think if anything, the hard part is to get a actor to agree to be in the movie that way that's high profile enough to be flash. Or it's old Hollywood thinking where they don't bother to ask around what could be done in that area and are hitting their typical studios who maybe haven't invested in deep fakes yet.

Now would it look weird sometimes, sure, but I dunno seems better than just writing the whole thing off. I doubt things will be that much better if they try and release it next year.

I can't see any big VFX company pulling their best artists off of other projects to basically go over work and as someone who works in the industry, this is a shit ton of work as it's a very, very VFX-intensive movie.

You would have to rework environments, lighting placements and redo cameras within scenes, reintegrate digital doubles, It would be months and months of work I would dread being on any team forced to work on this if that is what WB is considering.

The other big hurdle is most VFX studios will be already working on other big movies that are on a schedule. Work that is arranged months ahead as they get shots to work on. And those shots go through multiple revisions.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
They can be recast or replaced so easily. Hollywood use to recast people like nothing. And with a character like the Flash, that has so much to do with timelines and universes, it's not that hard.
There's no doubt they're out from future projects. The question is what to do with a movie that's already wrapped and in the VFX pipeline.

Oct 30, 2017
If I'm WB and I don't have the option to reshoot then I'm promoting the shit out of Michael Keaton's Batman in the lead-up to the film's release.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what WB should do with the movie, but they should add a scene at the end of the movie having the speed force change the face of Ezra into Grant Gustin.

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
I feel like WB is already thinking about more drastic changes to the movie without leaking to the public - or maybe they'll try to johnny depp them in the next couple of months, which would completly kill any interest I could have in the movie. Either way, I highly doubt they'll chose to release such a blockbuster only on streaming services.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Deep fake alone wouldn't go far enough. It'll still be Ezra's performance. Whatever new voice actor you're bringing in then has to match the line readings to Ezra's performance.

If WB did that, and then don't credit Ezra, they could probably sue WB over it, which presents a whole other series of pitfalls.

There's no shortcut, basically. Either you replace the whole performance Army of the Dead style, or you can the movie (again, I don't think releasing it with Ezra is a real option even if WB haven't abandoned hope in that being an option yet.) I also don't think you can remake it without destroying the entire slate of follow ups that are in various stages of development.

Cheapest option is almost certainly doing some reshoots on Batwoman, or whatever, to make that the next movie.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
An actors body is as much part of a performance as their face or line delivery. What upstanding talent is signing up to have their face haphazardly plastered over Ezra's body like that

Also I'm sure there's been a breach of contract somewhere for criminal behavior but what about SAG rules for replacing an actor's face? I would love if they deepfaked it, it would be an interesting experiment in ugly but practically it's nonsense

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I think short of court decisions or accusations that make national waves, they're releasing it

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales

I don't think so, not this time at least - Snyder diehards have been spamming hateful shit about this movie for months before any of this because it potentially alters some of Snyders plan (Which is daft to get hung up on as he has moved on but alas) and anything that deviates in progression or tone gets pretty quickly dismissed by them, so anything which could hurt this movie they would latch on to.

Weird to actually be on their side for once - especially being as, by all early accounts, this movies pretty good, but I just don't think I could bring myself to watch this or Aquaman 2 at this point so they can hashtag away if it helps stop these movies in this state.

Rolling Stone: Guns, Bullets, and Weed: Ezra Miller Housing Three Young Children and Their Mother at Vermont Farm

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Oct 25, 2017
uuh

www.rollingstone.com

Guns, Bullets, and Weed: Ezra Miller Housing Three Young Children and Their Mother at Vermont Farm

Ezra Miller has been hosting three young children at their Vermont farm, a living arrangement that has terrified the children’s father
so ezra met a lady in hawaii in-between arrests and flew her and her kids to live on an unlicensed pot farm littered with guns while the father wonders WTF is going on

okaaaaaaayyyy add it to the ongoing list