• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
She was just in the place to get popular and noticed while doing so. There have been plenty of smaller brands before her that never got the chance to shine. Still, I'm just glad someone finally broke through.

Well yeah. Duh.

That's how celebrity works.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
How much labor was exploited to gain a net worth of over a billion dollars.

Don't google "Fenty child labor". Worst mistake of my life.

Lucky Aces

Banned
Dec 7, 2020
Good on her for getting that cash, but "self-made" turns me into George Costanza yelling "we live in a society!". Nobody gets to the top on their own.

Yeah seriously. Arnold said it best here:

youtube.com

everyone need help | great speech | Arnold Schwarzenegger

#great speech # help # convocation speech #must watch

It's such a sham and a dangerous mindset the public at large sets expectations on. NOBODY, not a single soul, has been "self-made". It's bullshit. Good for Rihanna absolutely, but that "self-made" part needs to go away from anybody's title when it's never true.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
She don't gotta touch another Pro Tools program again. She's good for life. Shoutout to her.

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017
People's love for billionaires on this forum is so sad to see.

These people do not need your praise.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I suppose she is self made. Just hope the kids in India working for her company are paid well too.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
👏👏👏

They absolutely got it. Rihanna capitalized on a market other people had ignored because systemic racism. Let her get her change. It's about time a woman of color makes it into the billionaire's club. Clearly that club isn't going anywhere so at least make it more inclusive and have some composition made of people who helped people worldwide.

"At least." Fucking hell. This piece of Laboring Beyond Black Representation comes to mind.

Too Black said:
Most Black people are workers (or flat out unemployed). We are not celebrities. We are not influencers. We are not business owners. We are regular people trying to make ends meet, usually working for stingy employers who barely pay us enough to make those ends meet. Yet, popular conversations in the Blacksphere are disproportionately consumed with talk of Black faces in elite spaces or "Buy Black" campaigns that rarely seem to take the worker at said Black business into consideration. Rather, these conversations tend to privilege a small minority of Black people who most of us will never become, and as a result, do not represent our needs. So why are they the center of conversation?

The "First Black" poem by Too Black (same author of the piece above) also comes to mind.

Oct 25, 2017
As a father of a black woman, it's depressing. This ain't an "Eat the Rich" moment. It's a bless this successful queen. Period.
I mean, I don't know the veracity of the claims, but Fenty was accused of exploiting child labour in India. Rihanna's success at this level almost certainly hasn't come without considerable human cost. It might be miraculous that she's made over a billion dollars given her background and identity, but it still stands that nobody should be worth a billion dollars in the first place.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
does this finally throw a certain d.r.a.k.e. off the scent though, or does he just like his women with billions of dollars now?

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
The odds for someone like Rihanna (black caribbean woman) to become a billionaire are infinitely small. If anybody can claim dibs on the term "self made" is probably her.

Kinda bummed she halted her music career though. Even 6 years after she last dropped an album she's still consistently inside the top top most streamed female artists. None of her peers are on that level - whenever she decides to return it will be an event.
Yeah now what I'm thinking about it she hasn't released an album in forever. She just took a hiatus?

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So surely you hold these same concerns when you're on Gaming Side, right?

I think we can all agree that any CEO of a major publisher or console maker has blood on their hands. Always find the worship of Phil Spencer and Gabe Newell to be gross. I mostly avoid AAA games these days after hearing how much of a meat grinder developing them is, all the blood and sweat put into horse balls in RDR2 broke me. Not to mention the slavery involved in console production gross stuff all around can't even get excited about new consoles tbh mostly just play retro games these days

Azzazel

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Billionaries are a signal that the system isn't perfect but goddamn it if it wouldn't be better to have more Rihannas and less Elons.

rognas

Feb 23, 2021
Hell yeah, we want more POC billionares that exploit child labour! That's progress, fellas. I mean it's just indian kids, fuck 'em. Liberals truly stand for nothing, huh.

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Just wild how she can be most known as a singer, and was already making huge bank from that, but then you see the main reason by far she got to that billionaire status is through stuff like her makeup line

Haha I guess it can be weird to think of it that way if you're not someone that follows makeup and stuff. It can't be overstated how Rihanna took advantage of the make-up bubble right before it ballooned to where it is now and filled a niche that was desperately needed at the time. That foundation range when it launched was a game changer for makeup. Add in the insane mark ups that those products have and she's in for huge profits.

That aside, billionaires are still 🥴 and her being one doesn't change that.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
White dudes aren't gonna understand how important Fenton was to the beauty industry lol

Nov 4, 2017
Great to see such a gorgeous, talented woman of colour from humble roots succeed against all odds. She has definitely brought some good into the world.

Yeah billionaires and the whole system suck, but at least it's somebody who isn't a white male waste of oxygen like Musk or Bezos wining for once.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
If you're really opposed to billionaires, then you should be happy about this news. No quicker way to get white America to want to heavily tax the rich than for the recognizable faces of the obscenely wealthy to be black and brown.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I really feel like people are just straight up ignoring the child labor part of this whole thing

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
Child labor is actully cool if Rihanna makes proffit. This threas reminded me about the Maragaret Thatcher girlboss meme.

Last edited:

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
So surely you hold these same concerns when you're on Gaming Side, right?
unknown.png

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there similar kind of news about Kylie Jenner just some years ago? She is even younger than Rihanna.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
"All billionaires are bad" and "billionaires from underprivileged background are less bad" are two compatible statements.

There has to be a threshold where your wealth and the power that accompany it means your social responsibility overcomes the sympathy we have for you, and to me it's definitely below ten digits in dollars.

Though this is all very theoretical ofc. I won't ever bother with chastising Rihanna because we have much bigger fish to fry, but celebrating this seems a bit much IMO.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Look her contributions to diversifying makeup, especially skin tone range in foundation/concealer/bronzer are insane and set the bar for other brands. I buy her stuff, it's good.

But I defo know her clothing range is based on exploiting mainly female poc labour in some of the most dangerous working conditions, and it wouldn't surprise me if her makeup is similar. I'm not going to yell "yay girl boss", I'll give credit were it's due but she could do a lot better with that money and how labour is treated in her company's. You aren't exactly going to see me go "yay Kylie Jenner!" when she made her bucks off of the labour of the same exploited demographic.

In saying that with Shein and Boohoo and ASOS , it's a rush to the bottom on labour conditions/pay, environmental impact and waste. The way the fashion industry is at the moment is unsustainable, it needs to crash and burn with a some serious legislation power to force these companies in line

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
"All billionaires are bad" and "billionaires from underprivileged background are less bad" are two compatible statements.
I agree, but as long as they are all eventually taxed appropriately to get some help to the lower classes then I am good with that distinction. It's just hard as someone with no health insurance and several debilitating health issues that prevent me from having full time work in order to get that needed insurance to see a positive thread about a billionaire anymore. Especially as my issues get worse and worse.

That is obviously just my situation, but its just where I am at personally. I just want appropriate taxes. I feel like it would solve so many issues.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I agree, but as long as they are all eventually taxed appropriately to get some help to the lower classes then I am good with that distinction. It's just hard as someone with no health insurance and several debilitating health issues that prevent me from having full time work in order to get that needed insurance to see a positive thread about a billionaire anymore. Especially as my issues get worse and worse.

That is obviously just my situation, but its just where I am at personally. I just want appropriate taxes. I feel like it would solve so many issues.
I'm not 100% sure where Rihanna is taxed in whether US or Barbados but none of those places are were she actually exploited her workers badly, you are talking garment workers and chemical workers in developing countries with little protection, poor pay and working conditions. And the biggest demographic is poc, particularly women who are exploited. It's not just Rihanna doing this to be clear but the whole fashion and makeup industry and you need legislation to stop this, not progressive tax laws in the US which while are necessary for US citizens, won't help developing nations workers who are exploited to make cheap products for those in developed nations one bit.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I would assume she is very unlikely to have a billion in cash on hand, it's all "worth a billion" stuff, contracts stipulated on future earnings. So many big popstars have had these figures used as some kind of measure of success and it's usually when their P.R. department is bragging about their untouchable value that they fall from grace. Michael, Janet, Madonna, Prince, Whitney, Mariah etc. If nothing else it's a sign she's viewed as being on their level - which is a good thing for her legacy as a pop star.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
"Good for her" and "all billionaires are bad" can both be simultaneously true. It's both impressive and praiseworthy as an achievement that she managed this given her background and also bad that a system exists that allows anyone to amass such wealth. Those ideas are not in conflict. She won a game that was both unfairly rigged against her and shouldn't exist in the first place.