• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 18, 2020

Can't wait for this pos to fuck off and die.

I wish more Republicans would see what he's trying to do here. It's obvious he's actually against the $2000 relief checks and is constructing this unique scenario to ensure it will never get passed, but of course they're just going to fall for his spin even when it has received bi-partisan support across the board.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Facebook, Twitter, etc. are destroying democracy, what exactly is worth saving when it comes to unregulated social media?

Yes lets accept defeat.

It's also funny how last week lots of people thought the Dems out played Mitch.

Come on now... Y'all should have known the Devil is smoother than that.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
There is a simple question here. GOP believes $2000 checks will fail a vote if 230 is added as a poison pill. Will Democrats reject the bill to protect 230? It's very easy to see who is more concerned about their ability to post online versus who has to make the weekly trip to the food line.

Everyone here is getting their privilege exposed with comments talking about hypotheticals when people are suffering from food shortage as you sit typing away behind the screen.
Uh, yeah random folks on the internet are the ones with privilege. Nevermind the guy that is putting obstacles in the senate...

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Facebook, Twitter, etc. are destroying democracy, what exactly is worth saving when it comes to unregulated social media?
Section 230 doesn't just protect social media, it's why the entirety of the internet is able to function the way it is. Custom reviews on Amazon, wikipedia entries, emails, this very forum you post on. Without section 230, the entire internet becomes liable to be sued if any random person writes something that someone else doesn't like.

Section 230 is literally the thing that allows the internet to exist as a medium for us to communicate with each other. Facebook and Twitter, as reprehensible as they are, are far from the only things at risk. The entire internet is at risk.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Section 230 doesn't just protect social media, it's why the entirety of the internet is able to function the way it is. Custom reviews on Amazon, wikipedia entries, emails, this very forum you post on. Without section 230, the entire internet becomes liable to be sued if any random person writes something that someone else doesn't like.

Section 230 is literally the thing that allows the internet to exist as a medium for us to communicate with each other. Facebook and Twitter, as reprehensible as they are, are far from the only things at risk. The entire internet is at risk.

I agree that Section 230 should not be eliminated, but something HAS to be done about the big social media companies. It's more important than the $2k stimulus checks. The damage they are causing to civil societies around the world cannot be allowed to continue on this current path.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
This is some bullshit. You're talking about a bill specifically engineered NOT to pass and acting like anyone opposed to it is being selfish.

I'm talking about $2000 that people need right now. You're talking about a road block to the $2000 that's too much of an issue for you. My family will gladly take that $2000. That's the difference.

We aren't talking about reducing the safety net for social services that Republicans love to attach to these kinds of bills for concern of the "national debt".

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that Section 230 should not be eliminated, but something HAS to be done about the big social media companies. It's more important than the $2k stimulus checks. The damage they are causing to civil societies around the world cannot be allowed to continue on this current path.
You're absolutely right, something does need to be done but we cannot allow it to be this. Section 230 is probably more important to the internet than Net Neutrality is.

I'm talking about $2000 that people need right now. You're talking about a road block to the $2000 that's too much of an issue for you. My family will gladly take that $2000. That's the difference.

We aren't talking about reducing the safety net for social services that Republicans love to attach to these kinds of bills for concern of the "national debt".
No, but you're talking about putting tens of thousands out of work around the world.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is a simple question here. GOP believes $2000 checks will fail a vote if 230 is added as a poison pill. Will Democrats reject the bill to protect 230? It's very easy to see who is more concerned about their ability to post online versus who has to make the weekly trip to the food line.

Everyone here is getting their privilege exposed with comments talking about hypotheticals when people are suffering from food shortage as you sit typing away behind the screen.
More than anything the bill being sent back to the house with poison pills will immediately ensure there won't be enough time to pass it before Congress resets on the 3rd. That's the truth behind the play even if Democrats were willing to rubber stamp all the shit Republicans would throw onto it.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said that a proposal from Democrats to approve $2,000 stimulus checks "no realistic path to quickly pass the Senate," effectively killing one of President Trump's top priorities in the final days of his presidency.

That's because you tied it with 230 you cunt! I hate him

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, its the Era posters who are the villains here and not the psychopath adding unrelated stipulations to a bill that was supposed to help people who have been suffering for a whole year.

Nothing you said refutes anything in my comment. People are hungry right now and need money. What people say or do here is of no consequence to what will ultimately happen with how the vote will go.

What is clear is that I don't see any concern or talk of the millions of people unemployed and living off of unemployment to eat. What I see is how this will effect people's ability to post online, charging money for content, and reviews being eliminated from Amazon.

It's very obvious where the concern is being aimed. How will the elimination of 230 affect my activities online? I don't see many people posting about how $2000 will help with groceries. You don't know what a food shortage issue actually is until you are living it. I can say that for myself at least. How many people here are able to relate feels very clear from the general attitude of people attacking my position of taking $2000 for every member of my family vs 230.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

Sounding pretty selfish there. That's a "fuck you, got mine" attitude when such a move would put so many people out of work and fundamentally change the internet.
Well at least they got their one time payment of $2K.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
Simple question. How is the $2000 and 230 related?

Is anyone claiming they are related? How does that have anything to do with what I said? I myself stated that the poison pill tactic to throw in 230 will not resonate with people facing food shortages. Why does that resonate with you? It doesn't with me.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone claiming they are related? How does that have anything to do with what I said? I myself stated that the poison pill tactic to throw in 230 will not resonate with people facing food shortages. Why does that resonate with you? It doesn't with me.

The economic impact of repealing 230 would be exponentially worse than the benefit of a one time 2000 payment. If people are worried about money now, imagine what it would be like when millions of careers suddenly vanish.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
You could tie it with banning Muslims from immigrating, or permanently separating kids from their parents at the border and it would also not resonate with some people.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Why in the world are we still talking about Section 230 like Mitch expected that to go any where except as a means to delay being able to fix this bill; he made it unequivocally clear that he's opposed to $2k period that "goes to democrats' rich friends" which holds no basis in reality given that the checks diminish at $75k annual income, and will be completely gone for anyone who makes over $90k (or families combining the same).

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing you said refutes anything in my comment. People are hungry right now and need money. What people say or do here is of no consequence to what will ultimately happen with how the vote will go.

What is clear is that I don't see any concern or talk of the millions of people unemployed and living off of unemployment to eat. What I see is how this will effect people's ability to post online, charging money for content, and reviews being eliminated from Amazon.

It's very obvious where the concern is being aimed. How will the elimination of 230 affect my activities online? I don't see many people posting about how $2000 will help with groceries. You don't know what a food shortage issue actually is until you are living it. I can say that for myself at least. How many people here are able to relate feels very clear from the general attitude of people attacking my position of taking $2000 for every member of my family vs 230.
The fact that GOP has us arguing among us ourselves to get rid of 230 or else they're gonna let millions starve means them Niggas won, lmao. They got us bro.

what's next, repel gay marriage for $3K? No mail in ballots for $5K? How easily can we be swayed for how much?

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

I know you don't want to hear this but it's $1,400, not $2,000. Saying the latter is falling for Republican talking points.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that GOP has us arguing among us ourselves to get rid of 230 or else they're gonna let millions starve means them Niggas won, lmao. They got us bro.

what's next, repel gay marriage for $3K? No mail in ballots for $5K? How easily can we be swayed for how much?

People in this topic are going to be shook as fuck if the Democrats agree to repeal 230 in exchange for $2k, and then Mitch is like "actually no how about $500 instead"

like jfc

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Just so I'm clear, the 'controversy' around section 230 only really flared up because people were being mean to Trump on Twitter, right? I've not kept up with all this as I'm in the UK, but that's my takeaway from all of this, and it's fucking infuriating to watch play out because someone called a prick a prick on social media.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Man this fucking shit could have happened 4 weeks prior to election day and Bitch Mcconnell still wouldn't have lost his fucking seat.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just so I'm clear, the 'controversy' around section 230 only really flared up because people were being mean to Trump on Twitter, right? I've not kept up with all this as I'm in the UK, but that's my takeaway from all of this, and it's fucking infuriating to watch play out because someone called a prick a prick on social media.
Correct

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

Yes. 230 repeal wasn't getting any traction from either side until Diaper Don started trending.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

Many people will give up anything that they don't think will have an effect on them personally for a payday.

GOP out here trying to straight-up buy back freedoms.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
A lot of people's livelihoods depend on the internet. A lot of industries wouldn't exist without the internet being what it is. As much trash fire there is being sent around the internet, all the good forms of expression would be neutered too.

I get it that you and others are on the verge of starvation, but destroying the lives of countless others to get one, ONE short payment that has no guarantee of being a re-occurring thing seems short-sighted.

It's weird to me that you aren't laying more blame on McConnell and the GOP for poisoning your lifeline, and instead are trying to justify how harming other people for your survival is necessary.

You can take a look at my post history and tell me if I have ever shifted responsibilities from the Republicans / Conservatives to the Democrats or Progressives. You will not find any.

We currently have about 20 million people getting UI and the money received is not enough. Let's talk about what I feel is needed. We need a clean $2000 for the up or down vote and we aren't getting that. We need the additional $600 for UI that was in place early in the year. We don't need a repeal of 230 or some election fraud investigation.

Is the removal of 230 going to impact more than 20 million people currently receiving benefits? I have not seen any numbers on that.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
This shit is depressing as fuck, people know this shit is a poison bill, admit it is a poison bill, know Mitch Mcduck would never give $2000 and will delay this shit.

Still tell the whole population to swallow the poison bill. Like fuck man, how does $2k for gay marriage sound to you folks then?

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
the dems have actually utilized this pretty well to make an argument of why the country should support them... the republicans were always going to use poison pills while offering "support" of the checks, but its hard to escape the optics that the dems are willing to spend and the republicans aren't when your presenting a very simple choice with checks.

republicans will own the no on increasing checks. maybe they could muddy the waters better if they could find a better item to tie the checks to (foreign aid worked well for trumps argument), but section 230/covid liability isn't a topic many people care about especially when it comes to a debate over direct cash aid.

the attack about wealthy people getting checks as well could have some traction since we keep seeing the republicans scream it the most, but even then your talking about blocking cash aid from the many because the few may benefit. this issue touches on many of the hallmarks of why the general public hates congress, it'll be hard for the republicans to worm out of the trap set by trump but obviously they will try their best.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
You can take a look at my post history and tell me if I have ever shifted responsibilities from the Republicans / Conservatives to the Democrats or Progressives. You will not find any.

We currently have about 20 million people getting UI and the money received is not enough. Let's talk about what I feel is needed. We need a clean $2000 for the up or down vote and we aren't getting that. We need the additional $600 for UI that was in place early in the year. We don't need a repeal of 230 or some election fraud investigation.

Is the removal of 230 going to impact more than 20 million people currently receiving benefits? I have not seen any numbers on that.
The other user brought up a good point.
How much would your family take for repealing gay marriage?

Would repealing gay marriage impact more than 20 million as well? Haven't seen the numbers on that either yet.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure why you keep sidestepping the consequences of removing 230? 1.4k checks on top of the 600 that are already coming through aren't going to stop those 20 million + those newly affected from 230 from needing more support in the future. It's very much a band-aid solution that puts us two steps backwards. We all want a clean bill, but McConnell is making sure that can't happen.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
You could tie it with banning Muslims from immigrating, or permanently separating kids from their parents at the border and it would also not resonate with some people.

I already know that separating kids at the border and jailing them away from their parents doesn't resonate with the US population. I'm Mexican so you don't need to tell me. It already happened and people didn't care. You don't need to offer $2000 to people to not care about us.

We are talking about tying it with 230. That doesn't resonate with me. Why does it resonate with you?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I already know that separating kids at the border and jailing them away from their parents doesn't resonate with the US population. I'm Mexican so you don't need to tell me. It already happened and people didn't care. You don't need to offer $2000 to people to not care about us.

We are talking about tying it with 230. That doesn't resonate with me. Why does it resonate with you?
Because I can see the forest for the trees.

Oct 25, 2017
Bro I sincerely feel for whatever members of your family are experiencing food shortages, and I hope things get better for them.

But the current week sees you putting some amount of the $600 stimulus into savings and shopping for a PS5 so you are probably doing better than I am at the moment. Stop trying to wield your poverty like a cudgel to shame anyone who actually cares about the long term effects of all this, because you are not the only one in this conversation who is struggling.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017

You want to cripple the internet because you want to give you and family $2000. The minute you give in to that shit, the only hope after that is you expect a bunch of old people who are not technologically knowledgeable get to rewrite section 230 which is worse case scenario. You know how GA runoff results ahead of time or something? Do you understand what 230 is? It is censorship. You want $2000 all it has to take is that they censor your voice. That shit isn't negotiable.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
The other user brought up a good point.
How much would your family take for repealing gay marriage?

Would repealing gay marriage impact more than 20 million as well? Haven't seen the numbers on that either yet.

The fact that you would draw a false equivalence between 230 and gay marriage is shameful and you should feel bad about it.

I am very clearly saying that 230 is worth it for my family. Do you feel your job or job security is at risk if 230 is gone? Do you have friends or family that you think will lose their jobs if 230 is gone?

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
How much can we get for repealing the 1st amendement
I can't pay bills with the right to free speech
well technically i could if it was my career but its not so fuck it and anyone relying on it

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
The fact that you would draw a false equivalence between 230 and gay marriage is shameful and you should feel bad about it.

I am very clearly saying that 230 is worth it for my family. Do you feel your job or job security is at risk if 230 is gone? Do you have friends or family that you think will lose their jobs if 230 is gone?
This makes no sense man.

Bro I sincerely feel for whatever members of your family are experiencing food shortages, and I hope things get better for them.

But the current week sees you putting some amount of the $600 stimulus into savings and shopping for a PS5 so you are probably doing better than I am at the moment. Stop trying to wield your poverty like a cudgel to shame anyone who actually cares about the long term effects of all this, because you are not the only one in this conversation who is struggling.

I see.

Turnbuckle

Oct 27, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
What is clear is that I don't see any concern or talk of the millions of people unemployed and living off of unemployment to eat.

I don't see many people posting about how $2000 will help with groceries. You don't know what a food shortage issue actually is until you are living it.

People here and Democrats have been hammering this point for months.

You're being disingenuous as fuck to claim people here upset with this poison pill aren't themselves deeply affected or that they don't care about others.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017

That post said I was putting the $600 into savings / bills as in it goes into my savings account and then is withdrawn from my account to pay bills.

At no point did any comment say I was using those $600 for a PS5.

My wife was trying to get me a PS5 as a wedding gift since we got married in September. Things have changed drastically since then.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I mean, I get it. I've lived insecure for some time in the past but what you're saying is that a wholesale paradigm shift that destroys one of the major organizing technologies of all current society should be destroyed for a one-time payout Increase.

its not Dems fault or people here's fault. it's McConnell's fault alone that Americans can't get a bit more without giving away a fucking unfathomable lot

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That post said I was putting the $600 into savings / bills as in it goes into my savings account and then is withdrawn from my account to pay bills.

At no point did any comment say I was using those $600 for a PS5.

My wife was trying to get me a PS5 as a wedding gift since we got married in September. Things have changed drastically since then.

Things drastically changed since Monday? Yea, you are getting 600 dollars and are trying to use it to buy a PS5.

Oct 25, 2017
My understanding is that 230 protects the hosters (e.g. Youtube, Twitter, Facebook et al), not the individuals making posts. So basically removing that, Facebook can be held liable for any fucked up shit and can't hide behind 'freedom of speech'.

230 allows for moderation of content without being sued for violating freedom of speech. It has a 'good samaritan' protection for things like abuse and child pornography. Think about that....platforms need a good samaritan law for things like abuse. If you don't think a full blown repeal will be a huge downfall of content platform you're 100% fooling yourself.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
This is certainly a take.

I've never seen Mitch get such blowback in my life. Feels good man.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
230 allows for moderation of content without being sued for violating freedom of speech. It has a 'good samaritan' protection for things like abuse and child pornography. Think about that....platforms need a good samaritan law for things like abuse. If you don't think a full blown repeal will be a huge downfall of content platform you're 100% fooling yourself.
The weirdest thing about 230 discussion is that a lot of the negative stuff people attribute to 230 is actually attributable the 1st Amendment (hate speech, misinformation that is not libel/slander, etc).

And a lot of things that people want companies to do (moderate those above things) are explicitly legal due to 230.