• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Imagine MK12 with SFV-levels of production values.

giphy.gif

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
is this just to sell the development teams, or does that include the rights to publish games involving WB properties?

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
All these fantasy acquisitions are forgetting just how dark this year/timeline is. It'll be Google.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Watch Amazon and their gaming division buy the studios

jk we all know tencent will buy them

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Google is going to swoop in for some Stadia exclusives.

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
IDK if MS would be interested, these properties are best utilized as multiplatform releases. Unless it would be a Minecraft situation, releasing on everything and on Gamepass...that would be hugely attractive, but would it be worth that much of a price tag? I don't know.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
So who's rumored to be working on Harry Potter? I thought it was Avalanche Studios? I'm guessing it is actually Avalanche Software?

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh imagine EA with the DC license. Blergh!

MS or Sony, step up boys we need you.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Take-two seems like the only good option. Blizzard doesn't need to destroy any more franchises.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
DISNEY ITS TIME!!!!
DC VS MARVEL CINEMATIC GAME UNIVERSE!!!
Honestly no, no one wants a monopoly. But Im okay if DC characters get leased to Marvel or something in the future.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Warner Brothers co-publish the Witcher 3 with CD Projekt for distribution purposes in the U.S.? Anyone know if CD Projekt is self-publishing Cyberpunk in the U.S.? Or were/are they co-publishing again in the states with WB?

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
The IP issue is interesting here. Most of these IPs are IPs that are not really gaming IPs and thus, at best, the acquiring company would get a perpetual license to use e.g DC characters in games only. Maybe that would be good enough, but it obviously dilutes the value of having the IP for use in merch or other media. It is also complex - how do you decide what it's covered? What about IPs Warner owns that are rarely or perhaps have never been used in games?

I can't see an acquihire of that many studios being worth it without any IP, but maybe I'm wrong.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Google is going to swoop in for some Stadia exclusives.

Please no.

anime-shudder-gif-.gif

IDK if MS would be interested, these properties are best utilized as multiplatform releases. Unless it would be a Minecraft situation, releasing on everything and on Gamepass...that would be hugely attractive, but would it be worth that much of a price tag? I don't know.

MK would make sense to release multiplatform with crossplay. It's too big of a brand to waste as a Xbox exclusive. Same with the Lego games and Scribblenauts. Not so sure if WB would allow Microsoft to make games with their IPs exclusive.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Could people really see Microsoft being interested in this? So many of WB Games' games are based on WB franchises, who I'm sure would want to keep the games multi-platform and would probably have that built into any licencing contract.

So what's in it for MS at that point? Exclusive Mortal Kombat? Doesn't really seem worth it.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
People concerned about EA or Activision......did you see the state Middle Earth Shadow of War launched in,that was the very height of lootbox fuckery,lol.

dlemarc

Oct 31, 2017
It's just a lose-lose situation IMO. Whoever buys WBIE likely won't be getting indefinite rights to WB's IP, and that's what makes WBIE special. Dying Light is the only series I can think of that isn't tied to a WB IP.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Seriously, how do you go from feeling big enough to have your own conference at E3, to getting destroy and sold in pieces the same month you would've been at your best ?

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
The only thing that matters is the job security of all the people who work there, so whatever comes out of this I just hope it works out for them. Hoping that the company you fanboy for acquires the studios without a care in the world for all the employees that might be affected seems a little embarassing to me...

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
The only positive platform holder would be Microsoft I guess.

Then the games would come out to PC, Xcloud platforms and Nintendo platforms would always be a possibility.

Shit scenario, all around. Hope the games see the light of day.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
People concerned about EA or Activision......did you see the state Middle Earth Shadow of War launched in,that was the very height of lootbox fuckery,lol.

yes monolith did fuck up with the loot boxes but I played the game after it was changed up and it's suprisingly solid, all their studios have really good potential. it'll just be a sad day if this happens. oh how I wish we got Rocksteady's game

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe but I don't see anyone buying it without Netherrealm. Worthless without them.
It's the other way around though. We know they're selling the company, but as far as we know they aren't selling the IPs. They're at best just negotiating a licensing deal alongside selling the studios. Just checking some copyright notices, and even Mortal Kombat seems to be listed as a Warner Bros Entertainment copyright (the overall WB company), rather than a WB Interactive one.

The price they're asking for seems ridiculous without the IPs though, and even with the IPs they really don't have many that carry that much value. There's Mortal Kombat, of course, but nothing else is comparable.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
if this happens, this will mostly likely go down like THQ's sale. each big publisher will take over one single studio. question is who will take over Rocksteady and Netherrealm?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Buddy of mine just now :

Why can't it just be someone like CD Projekt that goes for it?

I highly doubt they can spend that kind of money, right?

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Could people really see Microsoft being interested in this? So many of WB Games' games are based on WB franchises, who I'm sure would want to keep the games multi-platform and would probably have that built into any licencing contract.

So what's in it for MS at that point? Exclusive Mortal Kombat? Doesn't really seem worth it.

If I was in charge of MS, I would pay by the bucket load for console exclusive Batman games, even if that meant paying penalty fees for breaking a previous contract.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it will be MS, they don't buy much for gaming division unless it's a cheap dev, they are mainly quantity over quality for gamepass. Sony probably doesn't have cash right now and this is a bad buy for nintendo in terms of product synergy.

One of the big publisher will buy this, can THQ afford this? Acti and Ubi might be it, could be Amazon too.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
For anybody suggesting that it's just the studios, consider that Marvel and Star Wars each sold for $4B. There's no way anybody pays close to that for just the studios. You'd probably get the rights to all the old batman, HP, etc games but would have to license them to rerelease them. WB games doesn't own DC characters, they won't be included.