• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if they required every single Netflix movie/show or Spotify song to have a slot on iTunes... This is silly. What is wrong with Apple? Do they even know what cloud streaming is?

rajinus

Banned
Sep 2, 2020
[CNBC] Apple issues new rules allowing cloud game streaming on iOS: xCloud, Google Stadia permitted(Still the same shit btw)

No, it's not the "same shit" at all. You will now play Stadia and Xcloud on iOS, which was not the case a few moments ago.

Why all the misinformation. Because it's not 100% the implementation you want? We can't be happy that it's a massive improvement than yesterday?

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Na, it isn't that fucking stupid. It's about having somewhat consistent guidelines, and not throwing out completely all the rules for these cloud gaming services, since there are MILLIONS of apps in the store and it's reasonable to expect Apple have their own rules.

Anyway, kind of a strange reaction. Yesterday, these services did not exist on iOS and cloud gaming was impossible. Today, we know it will exist but with tiny caveats.
Tiny caveats? You do realize that it's not tiny caveats right? My word.

Explain to me how each Gamepass game Dev needs to have a working relationship with Apple and submit their games is a tiny caveat. Devs currently have to do NOTHING for Xcloud. Now ONLY for Apple they have to do work, and probably spend money to submit their game.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I just recommend iOS users to pick up a cheap Android device for cloud gaming. Xcloud works on a $90 Kindle Fire HD 8. He'll, it even works on old phones as long as they're running 6.0 or higher.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
No, it's not the "same shit" at all. You will now play Stadia and Xcloud on iOS, which was not the case a few moments ago.

Why all the misinformation. Because it's not 100% the implementation you want? We can't be happy that it's a massive improvement than yesterday?
No you won't play stadia or xcloud because neither apple nor google will submit every game on their service individually.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Is this the exact same or is it at least a little bit of a concession made on Apple's part? If Apple is willing to budge a tiny bit it could at least be a foot in the door toward Apple making even more changes in the short term. At least I hope that will be the case.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How many end users are honestly going to be okay with using this kind of setup? I have almost 50 games in my Stadia library. I am not installing an app for each of them. It's insane.

You will to play Halo: Infinite or whatever xcloud game you want to play. Like I said, it's dumb but I bet MS at least puts their first party on the service.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017

it is the same shit.

it is exactly the same shit. This isn't allowing Xcloud or stadia AT ALL.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
How does this work with MTX? Who gets the cut? Apple? MS/Google? Both? I think that's the deal breaker with this option for MS and Google

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro

Because it still have many caveats, which means that is very unlikely to anyone use this, and if it happens, it won't be even close to what it should.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/11/app...ll-affect-google-stadia-microsoft-xcloud.html

NOT FULL COMPATABILITY, READ BELOW:

More on specific requirements for separate game downloads.

Fantastic news! The caveat is that seemingly each game will need to be an individual app, which is a little bizarre and I'm sure complicates things for MS and Google on the back end.

However, iOS users having access to these services is great for the future of cloud gaming services.

The big problem is the 30% cut Apple still takes. On Stadia Google takes 30% and Apple would take another 30% of the sale. That is just too much, when Google is the one that has to cover the cost of the server, where the game will run.

Last edited:

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How many end users are honestly going to be okay with using this kind of setup? I have almost 50 games in my Stadia library. I am not installing an app for each of them. It's insane.

Remember that the "installing" will literally be 1 second (as its a streamed game). Then it will probably redirect to the Xcloud app.

Open Xcloud app > tap on a game to play > redirect to app store > tap Get > Done (and then you dont need to do that again for that game)

It's a pretty slight annoyance on the user side really, yeah its not completely seamless but I really dont think its a big deal. Apple want that 30% and atleast they allow the catalogue app now.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine this for PS Now.

Something like 800 apps all needing to be submitted by their developers to Apple. Subscribers might have dozens or hundreds of apps to download, and probably would need to sign in separately on all of them.

Such a mess.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018

There is no way in Hell MS or Google will do this, so yeah same shit

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
These policies are so strange.
And all along PS4 remote play has been working on the iphone.

Why is that not counted as streaming with a shop in it? The only difference is that the "server" is in my home.
I'd like to have PS Now in there too.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Na, it isn't that fucking stupid. It's about having somewhat consistent guidelines, and not throwing out completely all the rules for these cloud gaming services, since there are MILLIONS of apps in the store and it's reasonable to expect Apple have their own rules.

Anyway, kind of a strange reaction. Yesterday, these services did not exist on iOS and cloud gaming was impossible. Today, we know it will exist but with tiny caveats.
Yeah the tiny caveat of having the publisher of each xcloud/stadia game posting their own app for each game the service supports. That's definitely not going to impede the services at all.

I cannot believe the lengths people will go to defend Apple of all fucking companies.

Because they want to compete in the market of cloud gaming in the near future and they're now using their position to impede competition.

Hope the EC comes down hard on this behaviour but it will take years.

And they gotta get that sweet 30%, can't miss out on that.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to them making Netflix create individual apps for each show and movie.

This is just bullshit, clearly designed to say "look, we're good guys and support it!" all while making it incredibly difficult for the platform holders, essentially passing the buck.

Nov 9, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I could be cause I don't game on PC) but...isn't this how Steam works from a functionality POV? Like each game you buy is downloaded within its own app and then launched via it's own app?

Or am I way off the mark? Again - no PC gaming here. Console only.

Oct 25, 2017
Why the extravagance? This is ridiculous to have to individually list each game.

It simplifies some things about the user experience. This way each app is an app so the Apple metaphors for opening, closing and multitasking stay consistent. It makes sure that it is clear to the user how to launch and back out of games. And probably most importantly, it keeps the hierarchy clear. The iPhone itself is at the top of the hill. They don't want a sub App Store with it's own interface metaphors and apps becoming the primary way people use tier devices.

It also gives Apple the ability to look at the content of each game when they approve it which is something they want to be able to do.

On the other side it greatly complicates some things, namely finding new games that are compatible with the service. Also it is going to be very silly when you have to re-login to every single individual game.

So a few good reasons surrounded by a ton of silly headaches, pretty common arrangement for Apple, honestly.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
The big problem is the 30% cut Apple still takes. On with Stadia Google takes 30% and Apple would take another 30% of the sale. That is just too much, when Google is the one that has to cover the cost of the server, where the game will run.

Apple takes 30% on something like Twitch too. It's why subs, bits, etc are more expensive doing it thru the iOS app than the twitch website.

I'd expect the same thing would apply if any xclould games get added. Like ships in the pirate emporium in SoT being 3000 for a ship instead of 2500.

rajinus

Banned
Sep 2, 2020
Yeah the tiny caveat of having the publisher of each xcloud/stadia game posting their own app for each game the service supports. That's definitely not going to impede the services at all.

I cannot believe the lengths people will go to defend Apple of all fucking companies.

Less about "defending Apple" (pretty sure they don't need me to defend them), and more about not agreeing with the extreme rage by some. Is that allowed?

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017

Because it is bullshit. And clutters the store. The games will get bad reviews cause folks will be like, "You need a subscription to play OMG!!"

This is them just pretending to open to it. No one has time to list 200 games on there.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017

When the whole xCloud on iOS controversy started, Apple explicitly said that they would allow game streaming only if each game was individually submitted for approval on the App Store. Not only that, but Microsoft cannot just submit all the games on xCloud themselves: they're requiring developer involvement for each title submitted.

Essentially, each game on xCloud would need to be tailor made for iOS, submitted individually by the developers, use Apple's payment systems, and require Apple to take a 30% cut of any DLC or microtransaction purchases made in game.

Nothing has changed at all.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
lmao

xcloud is an xbox console in the cloud. that's it. the games are rated through xcloud. the games content is restricted by MS and the ESRB both of which are far more competent than Apple. On top of that, MS has age controlled accounts.
Do you even know how xCloud works?

I am talking about them making the content available via their console in the cloud, not local streaming from home. I think those are two major differences for Apple, and these rules are more for console in the cloud.

For example, if you are streaming say fortnite from xcloud, what is stopping them from putting in something that violates app store rules? As much as you may not like some of the appstore rules, all devs have to obey them. Allowing them to circumvent them via a steamed game is still them being circumvented. If you have the xcloud app with 50+ games, and a single one violates a rule, what do you do with the app? Under normal rules the whole app would have to be pulled, where having self contained apps means only one would.

Basically epic pissed in the pot with their fortnite stunt, and could do the same thing again via streaming fortnite to iOS.

As far as Apple's 30% cut in IAP, there will be people with no xbox who subscribe to xcloud to play games like Halo Infinite, which will be a free to play game with some form of IAP to generate money. Apple's devices are a delivery content system for that game, and those micro transactions. Why shouldn't Apple get a cut of that money the app/game is generating?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

Will we though, did Microsoft announce this? Sounds like something they have to figure out behind the scenes.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
These policies are so strange.
And all along PS4 remote play has been working on the iphone.

Why is that not counted as streaming with a shop in it? The only difference is that the "server" is in my home.
I'd like to have PS Now in there too.

because the console userbase is limited

Xcloud/Stadia/Facebook gaming remove the cost as barrier of entry which means Apple's whole gaming revenue is being threatened so they're taking anti-competitive actions to restrict them

Oct 25, 2017
México
Remember that the "installing" will literally be 1 second (as its a streamed game). Then it will probably redirect to the Xcloud app.

Open Xcloud app > tap on a game to play > redirect to app store > tap Get > Done (and then you dont need to do that again for that game)

It's a pretty slight annoyance on the user side really, yeah its not completely seamless but I really dont think its a big deal. Apple want that 30% and atleast they allow the catalogue app now.
It's not that easy.

1. Every developers needs to be a registered Apple developer
  2. And if the game has DLC or any other micro-transaction, it must be purchased using Apple's payment system (to get their 30% cut)

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Why wouldn't they? Not like there's thousands, or even hundreds of games on the service.
This is the future, you liking or not(I don't, but this is something personal), Apple doing this shit now can be very harmful in the future where streaming is the norm.
And no, the service already have hundreds of games, it would be boring as fuck having to download App individually in a streaming service, like, do you download a Netflix film every time you want to see one? lol